Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

silicone thrills posted:

I had a stomach surgery that required me to be on a soft/liquid diet for some months. Not only did I lose a bunch of weight, it was the lowest food bill I think we've ever had.

Costco brand ensure is the best of all terrible liquid meal replacers, btw.

I haven't seen Soylent brought up in this subforum much before but I'm a fan. I bet it's better than the Costco stuff.

It's a little on the expensive side at ~$3.20 for 400 cals but it's pretty balanced. It helps me cut down on food costs when I'd otherwise go out to eat, which is too much. Plus it's healthier than eating out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
All that heavy metals and e coli will really help you live your life to the fullest.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

All that heavy metals and e coli will really help you live your life to the fullest.
Yeah, I don't know much about liquid meal replacements, but what I can say is that apples, bananas, and the like are cheap, healthy, and good.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Something Offal posted:

I haven't seen Soylent brought up in this subforum much before but I'm a fan. I bet it's better than the Costco stuff.

It's a little on the expensive side at ~$3.20 for 400 cals but it's pretty balanced. It helps me cut down on food costs when I'd otherwise go out to eat, which is too much. Plus it's healthier than eating out.

I tried soylent. I literally couldn't keep it down. The weird pancake batter taste killed me.

Once my esophagus went back to normal I went back to normal healthy food. I definitely prefer chewing and texture.
The nice thing is that my stomach shrunk a bunch and I eat half the calories to be full.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

silicone thrills posted:

I tried soylent. I literally couldn't keep it down. The weird pancake batter taste killed me.

Once my esophagus went back to normal I went back to normal healthy food. I definitely prefer chewing and texture.
The nice thing is that my stomach shrunk a bunch and I eat half the calories to be full.

Sorry to hear that, the original flavor is pretty polarizing, not a lot of love for it. Since you tried it they developed a new flavor which seems to be the de facto best, it's lightly chocolate flavored. It's a pretty big seller on Amazon now for example, it's got 4.0 stars out of 3,400 most likely non-review farmed votes. Tastes close to chocolate soy milk but less sweet, I like it quite a bit.

Unfortunately it has a significant "Ensure for neckbeards" connotation which is not totally wrong and it makes me kinda sad to drink it. Oh well!

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 26, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Mix it with a quarter scoop of flavored protein powder, and not only will it be delicious, but it also puts the nutritional profile in a much better place.

If I recall, the heavy metals was only related to the dry powder, and also maybe wasn't even of actual concern? Like it was less exposure than you get from standing downwind of a banana?

I don't want to sound like a shill, because I will say that it is too expensive to make a habit of it, but apart from that it's pretty handy, and delicious if you add any flavor to it at all

And who cares about the reputation of your breakfast drink? You shouldn't be consuming this in front of another person very often, and you don't need to be the guy that tells everyone he drinks Soylent

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

eat loving normal food, jesus

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Boola posted:

There's quite a few fire bloggers that travel the world full time as a couple for 40k a year or less and don't do it on the super cheap.
I traveled a LOT when I was young and I wouldn't wish that on any kid. It sucked to have my close friends ripped away every year, it sucked to change schools every year, it sucked to always be the outsider. Traveling the world sounds grand, but it takes a certain person to enjoy meeting new people ALL THE loving TIME and never having a stable routine. It's not for me, and it's not for most people with kids, I'd venture.

I've lived in a few different countries and while it was fun in my 20s, it's not at all attractive to consider in my 30s. This is another thing to consider if your FIRE plans hinge on you moving to a LCOL area that you have never lived in - if your priorities change in a decade (which they almost always do), your plans might not hold up. I think a lot of bloggers hold it up as some glamorous lifestyle, but the truth is that being an expat sucks in a lot of ways that get glossed over with pretty photos of beaches and waterfalls.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm not telling anyone to quit eating normal food, lol. Some days you're in a rush and don't have time to fry eggs. You can consume liquid meal replacements while driving a car, which means they have their place.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Infinotize posted:

eat loving normal food, jesus
is a sprinkle donut normal food, or

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

moana posted:

is a sprinkle donut normal food, or

I constantly worry that I will either get super fat or super buff when I FIRE depending on the day. Like I'm all "WOO ILL HAVE TIME TO WORK OUT AND SNOWBOARD MORE!" and then i'm like "I CAN WALK TO THE CAFE AND GET A DONUT WHENEVER!!!!"

I'm fairly sure ill be more active - i'm tied to a desk 9 hrs a day right now - but I still worry sometimes.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

I constantly worry that I will either get super fat or super buff when I FIRE depending on the day. Like I'm all "WOO ILL HAVE TIME TO WORK OUT AND SNOWBOARD MORE!" and then i'm like "I CAN WALK TO THE CAFE AND GET A DONUT WHENEVER!!!!"

I'm fairly sure ill be more active - i'm tied to a desk 9 hrs a day right now - but I still worry sometimes.
Well, the whole point of going to the gym 5 days a week is so I can eat a sleeve of Oreos and not feel bad about it, so I think you're on the right track either way.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I've been drinking Soylent's "Coffiest" product for a couple of years now for breakfast, it's fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Working my way through this thread and disappointed to see that it's fallen off the third page of my bookmarks. Making a post to keep it out of the archives and maybe stoke some new interest? See you in a few while I catch up.

Content: Recently received a nice promotion at the same time I was paying down all of my non-mortgage debt off with a nice annual bonus. Now situated that I can reasonably count on ~$50K a year on top of my salary that I'm throwing entirely at retirement savings (traditional or early). I've never felt so comfortable in my life after being a single-income household that's been house poor since 2007.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
That's a nice chunk of change to put into your retirement every year. Do you have a FIRE number in mind?

I can't quite put away 50k but starting on the path to FIRE is one of the best decisions Ive made. I now have a healthy emergency fund and live on half my income. This has bought me the flexibility to potentially change careers at 29. I can't imagine being stuck in my current role until "traditional retirement". Life would be so depressing.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

The biggest issue we have now post FIRE is spending discretionary money, I feel bad about it and I really shouldn't. So we budgeted $350 each fun money (about how much is still coming in from book royalties, so it makes me less anxious) and we're tracking it on a shared Google sheet. After a few months, I really like being able to look back and see the things I spent money on and remember them and be grateful.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

a dingus posted:

That's a nice chunk of change to put into your retirement every year. Do you have a FIRE number in mind?

I can't quite put away 50k but starting on the path to FIRE is one of the best decisions Ive made. I now have a healthy emergency fund and live on half my income. This has bought me the flexibility to potentially change careers at 29. I can't imagine being stuck in my current role until "traditional retirement". Life would be so depressing.

I do not have a number in mind. My income increased by ~$70k in the past two years, and double over the last 5 so the journey of reducing expenses as much as we reasonably can has matched a good momentum on income growth to where I can start thinking about it. I don't have an angst to get out of my job, but I really really want FU money so I can open up my options if/when that feeling comes calling. I'd love to be able to take a huge paycut to switch industries at some point, but right now I don't have enough frustration or dissatisfaction with my job that it's worth slowing that income train down. Plan is to ride it for a while and get into a really good position where I can make a call down the road.

Now that I paid off all of my consumer debt, I think I'll be able to save ~50-60% of my income. A far cry from the 3-10% (not counting principal paydown of debts) I was bouncing in between before!

moana posted:

The biggest issue we have now post FIRE is spending discretionary money, I feel bad about it and I really shouldn't. So we budgeted $350 each fun money (about how much is still coming in from book royalties, so it makes me less anxious) and we're tracking it on a shared Google sheet. After a few months, I really like being able to look back and see the things I spent money on and remember them and be grateful.

Is it a fear of drawing too much out of your stash, or just a different mindset of not wanting to spend?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

TraderStav posted:

I really really want FU money

Achieving FU money changed my entire outlook about going to work. It's a game changer that may change your view on when you actually want to target retiring.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Did anyone else hit FI/FU/FIRE as a single person? Did it complicate dating for you at all?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

Achieving FU money changed my entire outlook about going to work. It's a game changer that may change your view on when you actually want to target retiring.

I imagine it did. Did it extend or shorten your target date? My gut tells me it'll extend it for me. I enjoy what I do (for the most part, as much as one can) and removing the stress of HAVING to get the paycheck may actually make it even better. I'm in operations for a utility so things are always hectic, moreso during horrible weather. Those times I enjoy, it's the time in-between where everyone still acts as there's an emergency going on about dumb stuff. I can see being much more mellow during those times.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

TraderStav posted:

I imagine it did. Did it extend or shorten your target date? My gut tells me it'll extend it for me. I enjoy what I do (for the most part, as much as one can) and removing the stress of HAVING to get the paycheck may actually make it even better. I'm in operations for a utility so things are always hectic, moreso during horrible weather. Those times I enjoy, it's the time in-between where everyone still acts as there's an emergency going on about dumb stuff. I can see being much more mellow during those times.
I associate with this so much. I'm in operations in a heavy industry and love when the poo poo is hitting the fan and I need to keep the place running. The "good" times get boring as gently caress though. Manufactured emergencies are even worse though.

I think FU money will extend my time but only if I am able to take more PTO and/or go part time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

TraderStav posted:

I imagine it did. Did it extend or shorten your target date?

EXTEND. By far.

Full disclosure, I'm golden handcuffed in...which in my case leads to loving off retirement. But even without that I''m FREE now. It changes your whole outlook. I don't need to deal this bullshit and I won't. I'm here to get a job done and the people who actually did the work promoted. I'm just fill in/an adviser/cover/and mostly a paperwork monkey now. My real job i to get my "reports" promoted. And they are all awesome and deserve it.

Sounds like I do poo poo for a living, right? Kinda....I'm teaching people poo poo I leaned the hard way and copying and pasting things on speradsheets that makes the numbers work and my reports get the notice they deserve.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Is it a fear of drawing too much out of your stash, or just a different mindset of not wanting to spend?
I grew up with my mom telling me never to spend more than I make. It's hard to see the numbers go down, for sure, a different feeling than the market swings which I've trained myself to be only dimly aware of. This is actual money being taken out and spent on pistachio ice cream or whatever. Feels like I don't want to wind down just yet, I'd rather err on the side of having lots of extra to jump at an opportunity if I see it.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
You don't have to go full FI to get the benefits. I'm aiming for about 80% of my actual FI number. That's enough to cover my bare essentials at 4% withdrawal rate. I kinda like my job and even if I quit for some reason, I don't see myself just chilling out, not doing anything for work. Thus, if my stash covers my necessities, then I can use any work (even part time) on top of that for either beer money or to reduce my withdrawals during bad market years. That's enough financial security for me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

EXTEND. By far.

Full disclosure, I'm golden handcuffed in...which in my case leads to loving off retirement. But even without that I''m FREE now. It changes your whole outlook. I don't need to deal this bullshit and I won't. I'm here to get a job done and the people who actually did the work promoted. I'm just fill in/an adviser/cover/and mostly a paperwork monkey now. My real job i to get my "reports" promoted. And they are all awesome and deserve it.

Sounds like I do poo poo for a living, right? Kinda....I'm teaching people poo poo I leaned the hard way and copying and pasting things on speradsheets that makes the numbers work and my reports get the notice they deserve.

Sounds very similar. I just got my first set of gold-played handcuffs and on a path to getting the solid-gold ones. I can see myself stalling out a little higher-up and performing a similar role as yours and be very happy to do so without advancing farther.

Now that I think about it, many of my senior leaders are basically doing the same thing and they just keep getting promoted too. At some point the heat dies down and you just start making stupid money.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Just curious what you guys mean by gold plated handcuffs, you just get paid a lot to do relatively senior jobs or do you literally have vesting requirements or key man restrictions that keep you stuck in your job despite financial independence?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Just curious what you guys mean by gold plated handcuffs, you just get paid a lot to do relatively senior jobs or do you literally have vesting requirements or key man restrictions that keep you stuck in your job despite financial independence?

It usually is in terms of retention oriented incentive compensation. For my situation, I get a certain % of my salary each year in stock that vest over 3 years. The company has a basket of metrics that dramatically adjust the amount they pay off, to the tune of 2-3x.

For example, I could receive 250 shares @ $100. Over the course of the three years, the dividends would reinvest, so let's say 275 shares. Then the performance modifier this year was 175% so it'd payout 481 shares. One of the biggest drivers of that is stock performance so you double dip as the price likely rose to let's say $125. So the $25K becomes $60K.

I now get those annually on top of my cash bonus.

Then you stack that with political capital making it harder to leave and less reason to do so. It'd be hard for me to leave my job and get similar compensation, mainly because I'm not in a specific discipline like Engineering or Legal. More of a generalist leader.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

RSU grants are a hell of a drug

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I have the end of an initial option grant that vests monthly and RSUs that vest quarterly over 4 years. I'm currently burning on 4 of those RSU grants, and they just keep layering them in so not only is it stupid money at this point but the kind of long term upside that makes it obvious absolutely no one else would compensate me anywhere close to this level for doing what I do. It wouldn't make business sense. My outsized compensation is the product of being a pre-IPO employee and getting significant grants early on, some of which have more that quadrupled in value. The pre-IPO options have a strike price of less than 7% of the current stock price.

So as long as they keep layering in these grants (the golden handcuffs) and the stock price stays anywhere close to where it is now or continues to go up I'm in a spot where they could reduce my salary to $1 a year and tell me my new responsibilities are the scrape gum off the sidewalk and I'd happily stay and become the best sidewalk gum scraper I can possibly be.

Edit: this isn't a "forever" situation, even if the money train keeps going forever. But it's a thing that I can continue to do for now and for the near term regardless of the stress, inconvenience of travel to myself and my family, etc because it very obviously leads to complete and "fat"/generous FI inside of a few years. My family gets this too and we all agree it's something we're just gonna deal with as a weird and exceptional period of our lives.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 8, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's awesome dude!

It does seem like employers can tell when you're not depending on your next paycheck and treat you better for it. Ethically/morally I'm not sure I love it (there are plenty of incentives to being wealthy and I'm not sure "career advancement" needs to be one of them) but at this point I'd recommend FI to anyone even if they don't care about the RE part.

How are people handling health insurance after retirement, especially those with families?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It does seem like employers can tell when you're not depending on your next paycheck and treat you better for it.

It's a very strange dynamic at work, where 1/4 of us were pre IPO, with many of them having been there long enough that their options had already vested and had a LOT more than what was being given out when I joined. So on day 180 (post IPO lockup) each and every one of us has FU money, with many of the early ones becoming instant (very fat) FI. Like 8 digits. So out came the RSUs to convince us to stick around. It was much more generous than it needed to be, if it was necessary at all in many cases.

People who came on well after IPO, including my boss, still handle us very carefully like we're a different species. And often times and obviously don't treat other people that well.

It's bullshit, but it's absolutely the perfect example of money begets money and respect. Watching this go on and being at a low level fury over it has honestly made me a better manager.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I was an intern during the google ipo and the have vs have not feelings dwarfed basically every other concern at the office at the time. Imagine the dude one desk over from you sitting on 8 figures while you were making 'normal' (for the time, in SV, so objectively obscene still) money, doing the same job, potentially performing worse too. There was lots of animosity.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Very interesting situation and dynamic. I do A Thing that will definitely lead to generous FI but my compensation will almost always be directly proportional to the number of hours I put in. I could stumble into a great investment outside of my career or something but there is no particular opportunity for outsized financial windfalls as part of overall compensation in the business I'm in.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My job is the same way, doubles and triples all day long but no chance for a grand slam. If it lets you meet your goals and have a good quality of life, what's the problem!

(seeing other people with More Money is the problem)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I was an intern during the google ipo and the have vs have not feelings dwarfed basically every other concern at the office at the time. Imagine the dude one desk over from you sitting on 8 figures while you were making 'normal' (for the time, in SV, so objectively obscene still) money, doing the same job, potentially performing worse too. There was lots of animosity.

I can do much more than just imagine this situation.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My job is the same way, doubles and triples all day long but no chance for a grand slam. If it lets you meet your goals and have a good quality of life, what's the problem!

I feel like I'm at a place where I've got much more house than I need, but it's super comfortable and kind of a celebratory thing for all of the years my wife put up with me in various other startups (this is lucky number 7). Past that we're really not really lifestyle creeping, so while this opportunity changed my target number upward simply because we can and it's more security, it's also brought the date in closer and I yearn for that day where I can just go fuckoff in my shop and come up with hobby projects/businesses while living off of my 3.5% withdrawal (or less while I'm supplementing).

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think, especially in SV, it’s “seeing other people with more money that you believe don’t deserve it” is a big part of the problem. SV is all timing and luck and if you haven’t been ~that lucky~ it can create a lot of animosity.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

i am a deadball era guy too

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How are people handling health insurance after retirement, especially those with families?

Tentative plan is ACA if it's somehow still around and not terrible, and move to the EU otherwise; I'm a dual citizen though, so I'm not sure what I'd do otherwise. Probably stick with ACA in whatever garbage form it takes on.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I shove a bunch of money into my HSA every year. Reduces my taxable income and it's basically another 401(k) sitting in vanguard funds. Who knows what kind of coverage will exist decades from now, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a company to use for student loan consolidation? I have a grip of federal student loans with varying interest rates I'd like to merge into one fixed rate. Don't trust google to give me an unbiased suggestion so coming to goons.