Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Here's the video of it running a full cycle. You can see where it bugs out and sends two locomotives to the unloading bay above the one the train we're following is in. I'm assuming it's a desync somewhere between the two clock signals but haven't dug into debugging the circuits too much because it's incredibly frustrating without anything approaching an oscilloscope in-game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe1bUSDDeKs

corgski fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

I'm glad someone else picked up on that, it was a pain in the arse to write.

FUN TRAIN API FACTS:
A stopped train has no idea which direction it moved in before stopping
Each piece of rolling stock as a front and back, determined by its orientation on placement
Each train has a front and back, determined (IIRC) by the orientation of the first piece of rolling stock placed
The rules for deciding orientation of newly-coupled trains are deterministic but I have no loving idea what they are
The API call to couple/uncouple a wagon entity takes direction as an argument

If I recall correctly, I ended up working out which way the train was facing by getting the front and rear wagons and working out which was closer to the station

I was also going to make a sensor to read the contents of the uncoupled wagons (as decoupling them means they're no longer associated with a station) but the frustration of making the coupler mod work in the first place killed my motivation. At least someone else has made one now.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

GotLag posted:

The rules for deciding orientation of newly-coupled trains are deterministic but I have no loving idea what they are

I would not be shocked if ordering of object ID was part of it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

corgski posted:

Here's the video of it running a full cycle. You can see where it bugs out and sends two locomotives to the unloading bay above the one the train we're following is in. I'm assuming it's a desync somewhere between the two clock signals but haven't dug into debugging the circuits too much because it's incredibly frustrating without anything approaching an oscilloscope in-game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe1bUSDDeKs

This is one of the most impressive things I’ve ever seen done in Factorio. Seriously loving impressive.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
That is amazing.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I would not be shocked if ordering of object ID was part of it.
The Factorio devs would help with this kind of thing I'm sure.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I was chatting with then in IRC while writing that mod.

The train API is still a mess, it just wasn't intended to handle this kind of thing

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It's out.

e: Patch notes: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65070

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What are some solid basic mods I should be using if I'm just getting started?

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Squeeze Through. You can thank me later.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You don't need mods, the base game is already very solid.

Well, there is one:
Honk: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Honk

Another good one is Bottleneck, which is very useful for beginners because it helps you identify problems in your factory: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/trold/Bottleneck

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

0.17 is out. Listed under betas on the steam client.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Roflex posted:

It's out.

e: Patch notes: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65070

Stickers can by applied onto cars and tanks now.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It’s generally best to play vanilla to get used to things and add mods as you find a need for them.

That being said as some general early QOL improvements there are a few to consider. I don’t like having to walk up to things so I use the long reach mod. I like stockpiling resources so I use warehousing mod and Loader Redux. I love trains so I use FARL (Fully Automated Rail layer). And I use squeak through to make pathing a bit easier.

Also Honk because it’s Honk, also trains.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Excellent release time. I had already taken the day off work :toot:

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Minor changes I haven't seen mentioned anywhere.

"Changed personal roboports so they won't send construction robots if you're driving in a vehicle that they can't keep up with or if in a train in automatic mode."

"Warning icon for automated trains that are out of fuel."

"Chests and wooden power poles are no longer usable as fuel."

"Added belt immunity equipment."

And finally

"Added a research queue that becomes available after the player has finished the game by launching a rocket with satellite."

In the base game! I'm flipping out over that last one. Can't wait to get home and try this all out.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Galvanik posted:

What the poo poo am I meant to do with all these lovely power poles then? :colbert:
Well... what useful thing am I meant to do with them that's not blowing them up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Galvanik posted:

"Changed personal roboports so they won't send construction robots if you're driving in a vehicle that they can't keep up with or if in a train in automatic mode."
Holy poo poo yessssss

Galvanik posted:

What the gently caress

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Croccers posted:

What the poo poo am I meant to do with all these lovely power poles then? :colbert:
Well... what useful thing am I meant to do with them that's not blowing them up.

Power pole art instalation

I use my powerpoles to sign my name on my base. Like a lil Bob Ross painting, there are no mistakes, just happy accidents.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Which beta branch should I use? 0.17 or the 0.17.x latest?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

Which beta branch should I use? 0.17 or the 0.17.x latest?

0.17.x if you want bug fixes as they're released.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
The copy, paste, cut and redo functionality for blueprints is an amazing change. So many times I didn't want to make a blueprint because it's annoying. This way you just ctrl+c and instant blueprint.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Any good guides on starting layouts? I'm comfortable with the progression, but I'm bad at planning my base.

It's a nasty rabbit warren of belts at the end, and I want space.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I saw something in the patch notes about "added upgrade planner" -- what does that mean, exactly?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I saw something in the patch notes about "added upgrade planner" -- what does that mean, exactly?

You can have robots swap out yellow belts for red belts etc without having to deconstruct.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Basically a blueprint type thing to e.g. replace yellow belts with red ones in a selected area. There were mods to do it already.

efb

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
How the hell do you overwrite a slot on the new hotbar? I've tried every combination of dragging and clicking the new item onto the old slot I can think of, all it does it just select the old shortcut.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Seems like you can delete from the hotbar by middle mouse clicking, so you may need to clear before you can add the new icon?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Middle click should clear the slot, then you can just write to it as normal.

How do you get the bar to the side to keep deconstruction prints, etc?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Unreal_One posted:

Middle click should clear the slot, then you can just write to it as normal.

How do you get the bar to the side to keep deconstruction prints, etc?

Click the three dots to expand it and choose which options you want visible.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Oodles posted:

Any good guides on starting layouts? I'm comfortable with the progression, but I'm bad at planning my base.

It's a nasty rabbit warren of belts at the end, and I want space.

Watch the vanilla base build series by Nilaus on YouTube. It's long and based on 0.16, but it has some pretty good advice.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
0.17 changes boiler efficiency from 50% to 100%

My Electric Furnaces mod was using this to effectively double the power consumption of electric versions of stone and steel furnaces versus the burner versions.

Should I double their power usage now? Or some other factor?

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

quote:

Tile construction jobs are being handled by robots separately from entity building jobs, to prevent entity ghosts not being built due to large number of tile ghosts.

Yay! I no longer have to maintain a fleet of 50k construction robots to ensure that the concreep mod doesn't starve me of service when I drop a blueprint down.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Getting used to this new interface will take some doing, but I like most of the changes so far. Except I got used to my quickbar filling up automatically with new stuff when it entered my inventory, gonna have to get used to the new system...

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Speedball posted:

Getting used to this new interface will take some doing, but I like most of the changes so far. Except I got used to my quickbar filling up automatically with new stuff when it entered my inventory, gonna have to get used to the new system...

Yeah - this one threw me for a loop as well. I figure I'll just start a new game and immediately create filters to what I want where. Maybe there'll be a mod to save default setups like this on game start.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

GotLag posted:

0.17 changes boiler efficiency from 50% to 100%

My Electric Furnaces mod was using this to effectively double the power consumption of electric versions of stone and steel furnaces versus the burner versions.

Should I double their power usage now? Or some other factor?

The efficiency modifier is effectively gone but they said they were reducing energy values on fuel items. So :shrug:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The new biter/pollution formula really makes a difference. I started a rail world with otherwise default settings, got a nice desert seed (I hate trees and clearing to build so I go for deserts) and I very quickly had visitors. One nest plus a worm is still easily done with a machine gun and 20-30 clips so I cleaned my cloud out (the worm tracking is cool, if you don't zig zag you're going to eat goo) and got back to building. Barely half an hour later while laying out the first red + green lab area I had a whole bunch arrive. Checking the map the cloud had spread very quickly and multiple groups were sending packs just like the FFF said.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

TasogareNoKagi posted:

The efficiency modifier is effectively gone but they said they were reducing energy values on fuel items. So :shrug:

The actual value of each fuel item does not matter. In a burner energy source like a furnace, fuel is converted to energy at 100% efficiency. In boilers, it used to be converted at 50% efficiency but is now 100%.

So fuel used to do half the work in an electric furnace by virtue of being converted to electricity at 50% efficiency.

This is no longer the case so there is no efficiency difference between the regular stone furnace and my electric version if I leave the power consumption the same.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I've forgotten how annoying it is to queue up 3-hour-long music mixes every 5 minutes

Edit: More seriously is there a way to delete keybindings ingame? It seems a bunch of keybinds were added that overlap mine (most annoyingly 'pick up from ground' and 'open/close inventory' were matched) and if there's a way to clear them I can't find it; in the mean time I'm binding everything to backspace I guess

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Well I softlocked the new tutorial in the most hilarious way possible.