Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

DebonaireD posted:

Hey madfury, they're a game developer. It's a couple of hundred creative types working on something and if you don't like it, that's fine, but calling them morally bankrupt is so loving childish. This isn't monsanto, they aren't poisoning the earth or decimating third world villages. "morally bankrupt" oh my god, stop watching 2 hour long youtube hate videos and absorb some vitamin d.

hei, hei. I disagree. Bethesda dev house is raping known IP for sales. Nothing wrong with trying something different besides SP RPG games. Nothing wrong with doing a project and failing. However the way Bethesda has handled this project from start "it just works" to something as stupid as not shipping proper bags (as advertised) with special editions screams morally bankrupt. Moral bankruptcy is not exclusively reserved for legal entities on your little list. And thanks for assuming I watch some youtube videos, FYI I am unsure what 2 hour video you refer to and my vitam D levels are just fine. Thanks for trying personal insults though, it matters to me greatly what random lifeforms on internet think of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If theres anything I love more than video games is getting 10 versions of the same video game trickled over 6 years.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
In order to play the Outer Worlds you have to sign a user agreement where you, the player, don't hate Todd Howard and he still won't let Obsidian make another Fallout until they pry the franchise from his cold, humorlessly placed nuked skeleton.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

madfury posted:

hei, hei. I disagree. Bethesda dev house is raping known IP for sales. Nothing wrong with trying something different besides SP RPG games. Nothing wrong with doing a project and failing. However the way Bethesda has handled this project from start "it just works" to something as stupid as not shipping proper bags (as advertised) with special editions screams morally bankrupt. Moral bankruptcy is not exclusively reserved for legal entities on your little list. And thanks for assuming I watch some youtube videos, FYI I am unsure what 2 hour video you refer to and my vitam D levels are just fine. Thanks for trying personal insults though, it matters to me greatly what random lifeforms on internet think of me.

How can someone who has been posting for 14 years be this bad at it?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

BMan posted:

Oh my god you loving shills, stop defending preordering
No please do, the Fallout players were just coming to their senses and we need some more suckers arguing absurdly ridiculously for why them making bad purchasing decisions is actually extremely sensible

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

They pre-ordered a placeholder graphic that might be related to a brand so hard they made it a top seller lol

But it's a collector's edition :byodood:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

No please do, the Fallout players were just coming to their senses and we need some more suckers arguing absurdly ridiculously for why them making bad purchasing decisions is actually extremely sensible

"I might not have this money later, so I'd better spend it on Fallout 76 now" is something.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sodomy Hussein posted:

"I might not have this money later, so I'd better spend it on Fallout 76 now" is something.

Broke: Buying a video game if you have the money for it.

Woke: Missing your rent payment because you paid for a video game you'll receive later.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
People can spend money how ever they want regardless how I or anyone else feels about it. As was mentioned above me, life lessons are not really required anymore for survival. So, each to their own. There are far less die hard FO76 defenders here than I assumed tbh. My mistake. Its just the ability to objectively evaluate something is such a rare gift it could be considered a superpower. Like Tei said, you can love a bad game and thats absolutely fine. However trying to convince other around that "its just a beta, they will fix it in 5 days" is something that should not be uttered on a gaming forum. My .02 cents anyway.
I eagerly await placeholder graphics sales figures!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

RoadCrewWorker posted:

All video games are a bad purchasing decision man

Imagine arguing that you're being productive by playing one over another:laffo:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Sodomy Hussein posted:

spend it now on fallout 76 later

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

madfury posted:

People can spend money how ever they want regardless how I or anyone else feels about it. As was mentioned above me, life lessons are not really required anymore for survival. So, each to their own. There are far less die hard FO76 defenders here than I assumed tbh. My mistake. Its just the ability to objectively evaluate something is such a rare gift it could be considered a superpower. Like Tei said, you can love a bad game and thats absolutely fine. However trying to convince other around that "its just a beta, they will fix it in 5 days" is something that should not be uttered on a gaming forum. My .02 cents anyway.
I eagerly await placeholder graphics sales figures!

gamers suck

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Wolfsheim posted:

All video games are a bad purchasing decision man

Imagine arguing that you're being productive by playing one over another:laffo:
i love a good dril reference, even if unintentional

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sodomy Hussein posted:

wait until you get a load of "any purchasing decision that doesn't literally kill you cannot be criticized"

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
in bethesda's defense, at least they never went to 8chan to do an ama

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I dont preorder loving anything after thr last year and a half. I used to be like maybe that series i really like but nope gently caress that noise there is literally no reason to preorder ever

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I don't preorder things but also people seem really invested in the idea that if gamers could rise up and do the one weird trick of not pre-ordering that a lot more would change than realistically would change. Almost all the people that pre-ordered this would have bought it day one instead if that wasn't an option.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Games are less and less finished at release, too. I technically pre-ordered rdr2, but only digitally a few days before release so it would be downloaded (and from people's early impressions I was sure I wanted to play it)

It's crazy to me people would pre-order a game months in advance like why

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I used to pre-order a lot back when amazon prime would give you a discount but now they don't so whats the point

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CharlestonJew posted:

I used to pre-order a lot back when amazon prime would give you a discount but now they don't so whats the point

To be the first kid on the block with your shiny new copy of Placeholder!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fallout General: Placeholder Collector's Edition Preorder Bonus Discussion

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DebonaireD posted:

Lockback at least explore the map, it is very pretty and the soundtrack is good. Once you've seen all the regions I'd say you've gotten 60% of the juice, go from there.

Inon Zur's soundtrack is 100% wasted on this game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

mormonpartyboat posted:

in bethesda's defense, at least they never went to 8chan to do an ama

Not yet anyway. If we can't get people to preorder placeholder, we gotta find whales where we can!

How, how do you know that specific website even exists, agree to have an ama there with your company attached to it, then apparently don't recognize that website's reputation until the pedophilia defenders come in? This isn't just any chan board or even Reddit, you go to the truck-stop shithole that 4chan sends the poo poo too racist and creepy for them to.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Ehh, I got my $60 worth out of the game. The quests are basically excuses to go someplace and explore it, but like 80% of the fun I have in FO4 is exploring the map and reading the random terminal entries and notes scattered about. The fact that FO76 has more terminals and notes and no dudes giving you backstory is a lovely stylistic choice, but it works well enough for what the game is.

It also helps that I enjoy the eurojank genre of games, and bethesda-jank is almost slav-like in it's hilarity, and aside from that stupid damage bug, most were more hilarious than actually frustrating.

Overall Grade: C+, they made an effort, but it was lacking in vision, follow through and competence beyond the basics.

Here's hoping we get another No Man's Sky, wherein sometime in the nebulous future the game suddenly goes from kinda lovely to pretty great in one big content update.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I personally blame everyone who pre-orders anything for not just enabling companies like Bethesda, but also for my dog dying and for global warming.

Pre-orders literally killed my family and the earth, I hope you're all happy.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I preordered gtav for the 360 like 8 months in advance....it still turned up a day late ffs.Never again,hated that game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't think I've ever preordered a game but I have backed several Kickstarters

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

The idea is that it isn't up to you or me how someone manager their money. Maybe they're completely poo poo at managing it and know it so they work around it. Maybe unplanned poo poo comes up and they don't have it. Maybe they're a contract worker now and the future is unknown. My point is arguing how other people spend their money on the internet is dumb. I tend to agree and rarely, if ever, pre-order anything any more unless I want a collector's edition of something. Beyond that, since i'm not buying physical copies, pre-ordering seems silly to me. But I'm not going to shame someone else because they do or don't do things I would do.

I mean the logical conclusion of this argument ends all argument, so why make it?

"Fallout 76 is a bad game, people shouldn't play it"

"But what if someone enjoys it, you shouldn't pass judgement on how people spend their time"

"Fallout 76 is a bad game but you can play it or not"

"Well it's pointless to pass judgements on things that people may enjoy"

"Fallout 76 is a game that you can purchase"

When someone is laying out points why doing something is wrong, you can't just retreat to "criticizing other's decisions is stupid"

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

With all that being said, I did pre order smash Bros ultimate because I'm a hypocrite complex and contain multitudes

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I pre-ordered Pillars Of Eternity and backed Pillars Of Eternity 2, and I am a shameful enough Obsidianpig that I'll probably get Outer Worlds right away as well. But I won't be proud of it!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Zelder posted:

I mean the logical conclusion of this argument ends all argument, so why make it?

"Fallout 76 is a bad game, people shouldn't play it"

"But what if someone enjoys it, you shouldn't pass judgement on how people spend their time"

"Fallout 76 is a bad game but you can play it or not"

"Well it's pointless to pass judgements on things that people may enjoy"

"Fallout 76 is a game that you can purchase"

When someone is laying out points why doing something is wrong, you can't just retreat to "criticizing other's decisions is stupid"

Look from my point of view the jedi are evil

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Wolfsheim posted:

Look from my point of view the jedi are evil

friend you are crazy!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BMan posted:

friend you are crazy!

Is the baby on the hoof?

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Ehhhh maybe this applies to multiplayer games but I've never been 'hosed over' by preordering a single player game. Like by the time it comes out you have a rough idea of what you're getting in terms of genre/style and there will be reviews and impressions all over the place. I guess some games have had disappointed or unexpected turns, like I bought Fallout 4 thinking it would be Fallout 3 but with better graphics and a minecraft thing bolted on, and it was mostly that even if a few of the finer points were tweaked. I didn't preorder Fallout 76 because it looked like poo poo and took out most of the stuff I like about Bethesda games and hey, it turned out exactly the way it looked.

I guess maybe don't preorder games blindly?

Pathetic.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Wolfsheim posted:

Even ignoring the buggy mess of it a game that was purely about going around random-gen planets farming resources sounded like it would be fun for maybe a few hours tops and then the weeks leading to release were nothing but red flags on top of red flags, that one's on you buddy!

Lol found Sean Murray’s SA account.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

xxEightxx posted:

Lol found Sean Murray’s SA account.

No man's sky devs have spent the last 2 years validating what they made. If you like discovery, inventory management and RNG No Man's Sky scratches all the itches. Fallout 76 could dream of such a turn around.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Preloading games to trigger the libs

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm stuck in mothership zeta because a switch is turning off a forcefield but not the invisible wall behind it. gently caress you, game.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Just no-clip (tcl) that poo poo, unless you're playing on console, then you're simply hosed. The necessity of using the command console to fix quests and get yourself unstuck from the terrain on a routine basis is a really, really good reason not to buy a multiplayer bethesda game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Donovan Trip posted:

No man's sky devs have spent the last 2 years validating what they made. If you like discovery, inventory management and RNG No Man's Sky scratches all the itches. Fallout 76 could dream of such a turn around.

I've played it more recently and it's still a tedious grindfest nightmare where you have to gather fuel from big piles of fuel and it's the same process every single time you travel to another identical world, gently caress that game, it is awful and people who think it is good have stockholme syndrome