Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I loved dune 2000 makes me wanna jump thru the hoops to play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded how Command and Conquer was apparently heavily based on Dune II originally, with Tiberium obviously standing in for spice.

Kinda funny that it was a RTS that specifically had the availability of a do-anything universal resource as a plot point, since a terrorist group is able to use it to build an army overnight.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just found my Dune 2000 CD, I wonder if I could get it to work on Windows 10?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

You'll probably have to virtual box the installation since the installer is 16 bit and that poo poo does not work on 64 bit systems

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Dune 2000 was quite good. Better than Emperor Battle for Dune. Frank Herbert's Dune is garbage though.

For what it's worth you can play Dune 1 in a browser and it's a good Dune game too.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Is there a recommended audio book version of the Frank novels?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
If you want to play dune 2000 download OpenRA.net which has Dune 2000 as an official mod for it along with C&C and Red Alert 1.

OpenRA 10th anniversary trailer: https://youtu.be/93b7TKooj-M

It is incomplete and not all the missions are added yet but it has full working multiplayer and lobbies and even competetive gaming and monthly competitions online.

If you have the original disks you can import the videos and music or download them separately.

Or use cncnet and download it via that.

https://cncnet.org/dune-2000

Openra is a remake on a new engine with some quality of life improvememts, cncnet is porting the original westwood games to windows xp and upto windows 10.

And because c&c1, ra1, tiberian sun and dune2000 are freeware you can easily download amd play them on the cncnet client online.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 26, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Before he died Frank did a bunch of college talk tours. I really wish I had been old enough to go to one. He apparently had a very weird high voice so I don't think anyone wanted an audio book read by him.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Holy poo poo this thread exists? Tears of nostalgia (from reading the books and playing all the Dune games, starting with the original on the Amiga).

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Fremen live in the deep desert, which i believe is along the equator. That's why nobody believes there are more than a few thousand, because as soon as you leave the polar region you die

The deep desert, according to the appendices of Dune, go from 60° N to 70° S. The south pole is bigger because of less mining and much less population. I can only guess that favourable geography (The shield wall) encouraged settlement in the artic rather than Antarctic circle. Or the minor deserts with their smaller worms.

The Fremen secret palmaries are in the southern hemisphere. The Smugglers are easier to threaten/bribe I doubt there are many sietches in the equatorial regions just because it is far away from anything relevent nearby. Even spice gathered would be much more difficult to move to areas where it could be sold. The map says the palmeries are 30 thumpers away from the edge of the map so it would take 10-15 worm-journeys to move the spice to where it can be sold. Not to mention the difficulty of living at the equator. Windtraps would be less effective at that latitude.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I don't have a digital edition of God Emperor so can anyone tell me if Leto's secret tower in the Sareer is built on a fremen site? The Sareer is in the equatorial region. Also Odrade finds the spice hoard at Jacarutu which I would guess was very isolated but does it mention any evidence of what Latitude it might be at, or how many Worms the rode to get there?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

paulo

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

should have been pablo, its not too late to redeem yourself, son of frank

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pauuulo

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thank you for reminding me of the measure of distance known as a thumper, I legitimately love it.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Sorry for triple post but I found a great Mercator projection of arrakis at https://goo.gl/images/F3hPfF. The southern hemisphere is based on House Harkonnen so ignore. It contradicts Dune, to nobody's surprise.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hawowanlawow posted:

as soon as someone says they don't like the Lynch movie, I pretty much disregard all of their opinions

Rank Lynch's movies and then we'll know how to respond to you

Phanatic posted:

Still, though, the film got so much right. The visual aesthetic was bang on; the stillsuits, crysknives, the blue eyes, things like the Hunter-seeker that were on one hand sophisticated electronics but on the other hand aren’t because those are prohibited. The blue eyes, the thumpers, the ‘thopters, the spice harvester, the shields, the BGs, so much of it was a perfect adaptation.

None of this was right.

Set dressing in the book is never described as 'steroidal baroque', still-suits weren't black leather, eyes didn't glow, thopters weren't flying elevators from Willy Wonka

basic hitler posted:

I loved dune 2000 makes me wanna jump thru the hoops to play it

https://www.openra.net/

Well, download Open RA and you can literally play Dune 2000 in minutes

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Rank Lynch's movies and then we'll know how to respond to you

"we"

Well, download Open RA and you can literally play Dune 2000 in minutes

it's rank with them

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kull Wahad.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I didn't like inland empire

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I enjoyed almost all (read: all) Lynch's creations.

The heartplugs. The weirding modules. The Guild vagina mouths. The cat milking.

Especially the cat milking.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zeniel posted:

If you wanna get proper with it, periastron and apastron is whats used for any star that's not the earth, also apgalacton and perigalacton.

Apogee is just the gansta that's furthest away from you and periogee would be the one closest to you.

And if it's Jupiter it's Apojove and Perijove! :downs:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

The heartplugs

Wait

Was this not in the books? Things really do blend together in the mind over time

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

The Bloop posted:

Wait

Was this not in the books? Things really do blend together in the mind over time

No the Baron was a pedophile in the books, I can understand why they changed it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Cat milking owns.

Tie a deadly adversary to a menial task with a vulnerable pet of sorts which will humiliate him further, it’s diabolic genius.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Frank Herbert said it was a brilliant idea to depict atreides house design in renaissance styles as a visual shorthand for their feudal society, in a "wish I'd thought of it" sort of way. Say what you will about the lynch movie, its set production is impeccable.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Apparently it had majestic ceilings in all the sets but they couldn't get the cameras to pan up and they were completely wasted. There's a whole world above them we never see.

And then he goes and makes Paul create rain for some reason.

The very best Dune movie is in there somewhere. I hope Dennis borrows a lot from it and completely ignores some of the atrocities of the mini series. Like the reverend mother saying "that's right child...PRAY!" when he starts reciting the litany on fear. Like...wtf. Mohaim wasn't loving sadistic when she gave him the gom jabbar test.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Herbert on Lynch's film: " Dune recreates a feudal society. To impress that on you, the film decor echoes Renaissance (and feudal) Italy -- a stroke of genius and visually exciting."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the miniseries has some pretty good points, though. like ian mcneice, and i really liked alec newman's take on paul

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DebonaireD posted:

Frank Herbert said it was a brilliant idea to depict atreides house design in renaissance styles as a visual shorthand for their feudal society, in a "wish I'd thought of it" sort of way. Say what you will about the lynch movie, its set production is impeccable.

Except the Lynch movie doesn't really focus on renaissance styling but rather baroque styling and it's too.... much...

It's at odds with itself.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Openra is not what i want. I tried messing with it and i just did not feel like tweaking poo poo to make it load properly.

I got dune 2000 to install from disk somehow a few years ago and tbh i just need to look up how again

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

basic hitler posted:

Openra is not what i want. I tried messing with it and i just did not feel like tweaking poo poo to make it load properly.

I got dune 2000 to install from disk somehow a few years ago and tbh i just need to look up how again

Weird, I never had to tweak anything

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I spent way too long trying and failing to make it load the data i copied over and i gave up and installed emperor battle for dune instead, which looks good and has aged well aside from the ui

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Just realised that they are going to sell thousands of those @duneauthor books by slathering the covers in stills from the new movie, and writing the "dune" bit really big and the rest of the title really small.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Except the Lynch movie doesn't really focus on renaissance styling but rather baroque styling and it's too.... much...

It's at odds with itself.

A little, but I think it is really effective at communicating the world.

Although I will say Lynch's Caladan really sucks. The baroque is overboard there and Caladan shouldn't be so oppressive and dark.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 27, 2019

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lynch barely focuses on caladan. Training scene, pain box, exterior shot, bye.

Probably didnt get a lot of budget attention

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
funcom is making a dune MMO

the merch and spinoff jihad has begun

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Huh. I wonder if the MUDs are any good?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

funcom is making a dune MMO

the merch and spinoff jihad has begun

kull wahad

gonna grind 500 Harkonnen footsoldiers to level up my Weirding skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

basic hitler posted:

Lynch barely focuses on caladan. Training scene, pain box, exterior shot, bye.

Probably didnt get a lot of budget attention

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Caladan scenes were a real building they borrowed rather than sets, given how little they did there.