Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
Glad you’re ok, SolarLunes and Mrs SolarLunes.

Anyone who doesn’t have a dashcam, go buy one right now. Not having but thinking about buying one is like saying you’ll set up backups tomorrow. Some years ago, I had a guy overtake me on the wrong side on the motorway, cut in front of me and stand on the brakes. Don’t believe it was malicious, he hadn’t judged gaps properly, but he still got money from my insurance and took me to court for whiplash. (Luckily I won and he had to pay the money back, but it was a super unfun couple of years going through all that.) Dashcam ownership shortly followed :)

And go back up your laptop ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MarsellusWallace posted:

You are one lucky dude, that's approaching the worst case scenario accident for cars designed at that time, what with the small overlap test not yet having been rolled out.

Better luck next car!

ENCAP has had small overlap tests for years.

Good to see you are safe Solar!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

ENCAP has had small overlap tests for years.

Nah, not really. They've done 40 percent overlap since like, 1997, but small overlap like the IIHS does is 25 percent.

This is what ENCAP had to say about it back in 2014:

quote:

A small overlap crash test in Europe? No, Euro NCAP does not plan to carry out this type of test in the immediate future.
The small overlap crash that the IIHS conducts is against a solid, fixed object. This is a severe test but actually not a very common crash type in Europe. Based on research and accident statistics, significantly more large overlap car-to-car occur than small overlap crashes on European roads. Euro NCAP has announced updated crash tests for 2015 and is planning more changes in the years to come based on crashes involving current European vehicles.

The immediate countermeasures introduced in the US fleet are additional structural elements to deflect the narrow impact. These countermeasures add extra weight to the vehicle which will increase fuel consumption and emissions. Small overlap crashes are often a result of unintended lane departures. To effectively avoid these types of crashes in the first place, Euro NCAP is promoting (and will soon require) technologies such as Lane Departure Warning, Lane Keep Assist and auto-braking for head-on traffic and road departures.

People should remember that safety ratings are adapted to each region and focus on what is important for local car buyers.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

I didn't even know what a small overlap crash test was until today

or why they're as awful as they are, goddamn

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I dont remember who did it, but one manufacturer even beefed up only one side of the crash supports of a car to game the test in certain markets that care about it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Honestly, the crash tests should be done in a way that's documented secretly beforehand, and applied consistently against all cars, but changes yearly without warning.

You can't game the test if you don't know what the test is going to be. Same thing with mileage. Just come up with a random test every year, test all the cars, then reveal what the test actually was after the fact. As long as cars are being compared against each other on the same metric, it's completely fair.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PT6A posted:

Honestly, the crash tests should be done in a way that's documented secretly beforehand, and applied consistently against all cars, but changes yearly without warning.

You can't game the test if you don't know what the test is going to be. Same thing with mileage. Just come up with a random test every year, test all the cars, then reveal what the test actually was after the fact. As long as cars are being compared against each other on the same metric, it's completely fair.

Could you elaborate? They're trying to rest safety, targeting what they think are the most likely or most dangerous crashes. I don't see how you could make them random without varying relation to real world conditions. Some years the tests would be more meaningful than other years.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What's that saying? "When a measure become a target, it stops being a good measure."

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PT6A posted:

The only problem here is that results between years wouldn't be comparable at all.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only problem here is that results between years wouldn't be comparable at all.
Maybe a decent balance would be to just add on one or two unexpected elements to the standard set of tests. That way the base set allows comparisons across model years but there's always something new. I think it could be interesting to have at least one of the unexpected elements based on some particularly bad real world crash of the previous year.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 28, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crash tests would get insanely expensive if you added something every year.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Don't they base crash tests off of studies and reports about the most common, most dangerous, most lethal types of car crashes, etc? Probably wouldn't make much sense to just throw in some random test scenario every year that only happens in .00002% of actual crashes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

100% Dundee posted:

Don't they base crash tests off of studies and reports about the most common, most dangerous, most lethal types of car crashes, etc? Probably wouldn't make much sense to just throw in some random test scenario every year that only happens in .00002% of actual crashes.

Yeah, but if the tests are defined in such a way that you can game them by only strengthening one side of the car, the tests aren't really working as intended.

For example, take the small overlap test. You could say "this test is going to simulate a small overlap head-on collision" but leave the size, angle, speed, etc. unknown until the tests are completed, so the companies would have to design for a wide range of possible collisions within that definition instead of knowing exactly how the test would be conducted.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sounds great and all but if you don't have something to design to, it makes it a lot harder to design in general. It's not some conspiracy that car makers are trying to make your cars less safe or less fuel efficient. Different regions have different rules and laws. A compact car that's for the US market is going to be a lot different than one sold in India for example. Different price points, laws/regulations, and compromises go with that.

If you want costs of cars to go even higher, then yeah this is a great plan. :v:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also doubt that randomizing the testing is really necessary. The tests are already hard to pass and if you're "gaming" the system by designing for the test you're actually making the car safer in general too. It helps that the US has two bodies that pull enough weight for car companies to take notice, and they have somewhat different methods.

Along with that, the IIHS does adjust tests and do extra stuff not in their standard suite. Not sure if this is what people were referencing, but they did it with the small overlap test and it showed many cars didn't do as well on the previously untested passenger side: https://jalopnik.com/the-toughest-car-crash-test-is-about-to-get-even-toughe-1819715039 They did note that though cars did worse on the passenger side than the driver' side, they still did better than cars before small overlap testing started at all.

On top of all that, it's not like passing these tests is easy either. Tesla has been mad at the IIHS cause the model 3 doesn't do that well in the small overlap test: https://www.slashgear.com/iihs-small-overlap-front-crash-test-tesla-model-s-06490772/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

IOwnCalculus posted:

They already aren't.

That's what's so stupid about NCAP - the same car can continue being sold as '5 star' indefinitely without retest required. The only time NCAP actually made the point of retesting an aging vehicle was with the Fiat Punto because Fiat was absolutely taking the piss and still selling a more than a decade old design as '5 star' (the retest in 2017 dropped it to zero)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

It's not some conspiracy that car makers are trying to make your cars less safe or less fuel efficient.

It certainly has been in the past. One manufacturer, you'll recall, actually designed a system to identify when it was in the fuel economy testing cycle and change engine parameters to lower emissions. You can say that's fraudulent, of course, but the fact remains that it was only possible in the first place because they knew exactly what the testing cycle would be. If you randomize the testing cycle on a regular basis to more closely approximate real-world conditions, that wouldn't be possible, and it's more likely that manufacturers would design their cars for efficiency in a wide range of conditions, rather than designing them to get the best possible numbers on a known test.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Randomizing the fuel efficiency test within a certain bound of parameters - or just adjusting the parameters! - makes a lot more sense than randomizing the crash testing regime. The crash testing regime replicates the most common types of crashes. I prefer that automakers try to make cars safer in the majority of crashes than to focus on some nebulous "all around performance" target that is probably not relevant for 99.999% of crash situations.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Interesting thing I found out about the FoRS. The awd and drive mode are disabled during start up when temps drop suddenly. Was not aware of this as it did not happen for most of the winter. Worked just fine after car warmed up a bit. Also pirelli winter sottozero tires are loving awsome on our frozen rear end hills in southeast AK.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Melthir posted:

Interesting thing I found out about the FoRS. The awd and drive mode are disabled during start up when temps drop suddenly. Was not aware of this as it did not happen for most of the winter. Worked just fine after car warmed up a bit. Also pirelli winter sottozero tires are loving awsome on our frozen rear end hills in southeast AK.

There is a TSB that fixes the drive mode disabled during cold weather. The exhaust valve on the driver’s side exhaust pipe gets moisture around it and freezes shut. The valve can’t complete its self actuation startup test and tells the car to disable the drive mode selection. The TSB fixes this by just ignoring the startup test figuring that once the valve warms up enough it will open.

The AWD system should not disable itself unless you are beating the holy hell out of it on a track in the desert. Overheating is about the only thing that will disable the AWD outside of pulling the fuse that controls the system (that’s how you properly dyno an RS, in FWD mode only). If you’re getting and AWD disabled message in the cold you should probably go to a dealership for service.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Whelp back to the shop again I guess. I just figured it was because it froze itself to the hill.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Lukewarm hatch with tech package. 201hp/195tq, 7 speed dual clutch but who cares, it’s got adaptive cruise with stop-start.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

They already aren't.

That's what's so stupid about NCAP - the same car can continue being sold as '5 star' indefinitely without retest required. The only time NCAP actually made the point of retesting an aging vehicle was with the Fiat Punto because Fiat was absolutely taking the piss and still selling a more than a decade old design as '5 star' (the retest in 2017 dropped it to zero)

They retested the Fiat Panda as well.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

:mediocre:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PT6A posted:

It certainly has been in the past. One manufacturer, you'll recall, actually designed a system to identify when it was in the fuel economy testing cycle and change engine parameters to lower emissions. You can say that's fraudulent, of course, but the fact remains that it was only possible in the first place because they knew exactly what the testing cycle would be. If you randomize the testing cycle on a regular basis to more closely approximate real-world conditions, that wouldn't be possible, and it's more likely that manufacturers would design their cars for efficiency in a wide range of conditions, rather than designing them to get the best possible numbers on a known test.

Yeah, they broke the law and what they did was illegal. They got the poo poo fined out of them for it as well, as other manufacturers have in the past. Honda did the same thing with a hood switch I believe in the late 90s, so it knew it was on a dyno so it modified the software. Yes, it does happen and has happened in the past but if companies are dumb enough to do it nowadays after the example that was made of VW, that's their gamble.

Manufacturers try to optimize efficiency everywhere they can. I say this being an engineer with experience in the auto industry, doing calibration work on production engines. :v: Yes, the cycle areas are under more scrutiny since those are the design limits but it's not like "well the car only runs up to 3000 rpm on the cycle, who cares above that" sort of thing. It's a novel idea but not realistic to randomize everything. All the sudden the cycle includes a WOT acceleration? Welp everybody is hosed and nobody can meet emissions now because it's just not possible with current regs. You'd have to completely revamp all of the emissions requirements and basically start over from scratch to regs that just move the goal posts. To that end it wouldn't really improve anything significantly be it emissions or fuel economy, but add more development time and cost which the consumer would be paying for in the end.

You make it sound so easy and simple but it's neither of those things. The current cycle isn't the most realistic vs. real world fuel economy, yes, but it's a basis to compare vehicles against something consistent.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

What’s the green indicator? 47% would prefer to walk than use that car?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

latinotwink1997 posted:

Pedestrian safety, presumably.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

latinotwink1997 posted:

I'd expect it to be higher than that -- roughly "100% minus James May."

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

So guys at the shop were unable to find anything. Said it may have been a frozen sensor. We could not get it to duplicate this morning. It was below freezing but we didn't have a fog to freeze on the car like when the error happened.:iiam:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Had a dream last night that I was rallying my stock GTI in Finland (like you do), went over a big jump, and the front end came up mid-air and I landed smack on the rear end. Woke up wondering how I was going to explain it to the insurance company and my wife. :stonklol:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

Had a dream last night that I was rallying my stock GTI in Finland (like you do), went over a big jump, and the front end came up mid-air and I landed smack on the rear end. Woke up wondering how I was going to explain it to the insurance company and my wife. :stonklol:

Those Duke boys are at it again.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Beats all you ever saw
Been in trouble with the law
Since the day they was Björn

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

I've had the same dream about my RS except they usually involve me flying off the side of a mountain a'la Dirt Rally. Scary poo poo.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
I need to start driving my car like you guys do if those are the types of dreams you're having.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's like when I was a teenager and would have dreams in Halo graphics.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

I need to start driving my car like you guys do if those are the types of dreams you're having.

Buy a very expensive car that literally scares you to drive and I promise you will have nightmares of wrecking it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
gti or rs isnt a super expensive car though

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

In the grand scheme of performance cars, not really, but to most people it's a lot of money.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
eh you have a point, i forgot americans are poor as poo poo right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

KillHour posted:

I've had the same dream about my RS except they usually involve me flying off the side of a mountain a'la Dirt Rally. Scary poo poo.

Pretty sure playing Dirt 2.0 this week had something to do with it.