Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Fool posted:

I have two users that do the caps lock thing, and are both otherwise competent home-row typists.

When asked they both shrugged and said that's just how they learned.

How does one learn this way, just self-taught or something?

I learned on an electric typewriter so it's just alien to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Arquinsiel posted:

Every time I look at RAID it seems that someone has juggled around what the numbers mean... I very rarely actually look at it anymore, but it's weird to think I have a concept down only to learn that I really, really don't literally every time I look.

Basically: The higher the single digit raid number the better it is for fault tolerance. And Raid 2-4 aren't used in any serious context outside of ridiculously proprietary setups. For two digit numbers it's a Raid of the type of the 2nd digit but each "disk" in the array is actually a Raid of the first digit. So a Raid 50 is a RAID0 made up of RAID5s. RAID 100 is a RAID0 of RAID0s made up of RAID1s. Which is apparently a thing people do.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Arquinsiel posted:

Every time I look at RAID it seems that someone has juggled around what the numbers mean... I very rarely actually look at it anymore, but it's weird to think I have a concept down only to learn that I really, really don't literally every time I look.

All you need to know is that RAID is not backup.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

AlexDeGruven posted:

The only time you should be using all caps is if you're the person managing the Not A Wolf Twitter account

There is one other Twitter account that falls under this condition:

https://twitter.com/PHP_CEO/status/907697084253470721

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Basically: The higher the single digit raid number the better it is for fault tolerance. And Raid 2-4 aren't used in any serious context outside of ridiculously proprietary setups. For two digit numbers it's a Raid of the type of the 2nd digit but each "disk" in the array is actually a Raid of the first digit. So a Raid 50 is a RAID0 made up of RAID5s. RAID 100 is a RAID0 of RAID0s made up of RAID1s. Which is apparently a thing people do.
UnRAID, although it isn't opensource - so who really knows, seems to be some form of RAID3/4 but at the file level, I think?

Nested RAID levels are used when people want to buy the cheapest of disks but get the most amount of performance, availability be damned.
Also, it's super weird that nested numbered RAID works opposite of how you read it, in that RAID10 is actually striped mirrors not mirrored stripes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Merijn posted:

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1095734949213364224

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

alright, can we at least agree that all the "<x subculture> hulk" accounts are redundant

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Agrikk posted:

It's way outside my wheelhouse now. I don't care how your storage is configured, I care what the permissions are and if I can get a USB into the machine these days.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

The only time you should be using all caps is if you're the person managing the Not A Wolf Twitter account

Another counterpoint: https://twitter.com/FROGTips

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Merijn posted:

https://twitter.com/PHP_CEO/status/907697084253470721

I'll give you that one.

Meh.

Hmm...

After further review, I'm on board.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 26, 2019

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Agrikk posted:

The 0 in RAID0 stands for how much data you'll have left after a failure.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/ijspurcell/status/1100125858549850112

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
We'll work the soul out of you, but you're not getting 50k for it. What do you think this is, a game?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Every time I see that Rogue job posting I want to go back in time and space, find these assholes and be part of the internet lynch mob who gave them a drubbing.

You are a Rogue. You don’t care about work/life balance, career advancement or means of sustaining yourself.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Rogue makes bad beer so I've successfully been avoiding giving them any business for at least a decade now, it rules.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Allegedly a goon had the Rogue IT job at one point, he's a friend of a friend. If he is no longer there, I will see if I can get stories from him...

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've always felt that read like a piece of satire..

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
That job posting reminds me of the infamous Penny Arcade posting from a few years ago. Hopefully postings like this are rare, because I assume young people in the field jump on them and get burned out.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sarern posted:

That job posting reminds me of the infamous Penny Arcade posting from a few years ago. Hopefully postings like this are rare, because I assume young people in the field jump on them and get burned out.

They're not rare. Especially in small businesses that have some measure of "fame."

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I get resume pings all the time like this. Moderate to large shops wanting IT in a box for less than $80k.

It's a wonder some of these places are still in business, let alone able to field an it staff for more than a few days at a time.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Inspector_666 posted:

Rogue makes bad beer so I've successfully been avoiding giving them any business for at least a decade now, it rules.

I like the food at their public house in Astoria, but it's hard to gently caress up fish and chips when the fish is that fresh.

It's pretty typical of small businesses, especially "craft" types in the northwest. Your work is underappreciated, you're underpaid, and you're expected to pick up the slack on anything that comes up, IT or not. HVAC system goes wonky? You're a computer toucher, close enough. Go fix it cuz we can't afford a service call. One of the survey guys is out? You know how machines work, just push the buttons, it'll be fine. Not like there's a government contract on the line if you gently caress up the measurements or anything. Not like you'd know the difference, since you work a job that doesn't normally involve getting a sunburn in the forest while holding a machete. You want benefits? Bitch please, I have 8 baby mommas on the payroll cuz I don't want my wife to know I'm sending them child support, so no you can't have health insurance. Please excuse me while I outsource half your job to a Pakistani programmer on Fiver and cut your hours. Why are you quitting? I've given you so much!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AlexDeGruven posted:

I get resume pings all the time like this. Moderate to large shops wanting IT in a box for less than $80k.

It's a wonder some of these places are still in business, let alone able to field an it staff for more than a few days at a time.

They're in the food industry, the industry that has lobbied heavily to keep server minimum wages below 3/hr nationally.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Oh, also, the time I went out on a contract job to a semi-infamous medical device company in Northeast Portland. They had to be HIPPA compliant and needed help with network security.

Their network was two Windows XP machines (in TYOOL 2012) ad-hoc'd over powerline ethernet with an All Users read/write shared drive on one of them.

I did some back of napkin math and gave them a bid on hardware and installation. It was substantial, obviously. They asked if they could just get a router from Best Buy and use the security on that.

I left after telling them they needed to call someone with lower standards, and given my boss (said baby momma payroll guy above; that was one of his lesser sins) was an actual loving criminal, she'd be hard pressed to find anyone.

I bet they're still using that loving setup.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Bitch please, I have 8 baby mommas on the payroll cuz I don't want my wife to know I'm sending them child support...

I once worked at a place where the owner's son (who ran most of the company by that point) was a philandering scumbag who had multiple mistresses (and at least one baby momma) working within the company. He had at least three or four mistresses that I knew for sure, plus a few more I suspected. In a company that had no more than 40 employees during peak season. His dick had been in somewhere between 10 and 15 percent of all the people working for him. And that's not counting former employees.

It was miserable because those women had him (literally) by the balls. They hosed up all the time, and the poo poo rolled downhill onto the rest of us. Mr. Adultery wouldn't punish them because he was afraid they'd make a scene. He'd just yell at us to fix their problems. Literally yell.

The whole place imploded a few years after I left. His wife left him and went full scorched earth on the whole thing. It went so bad that the owner (his dad) fired Mr. Adultery from the company! Dude is now working for an old competitor in a city on the other side of the state in a low-level position similar to the one I held when I worked for him.

The schadenfreude is so good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sarern posted:

My first second IT job was like this. Got hired at ~$37k for "helpdesk"
Turns out "Helpdesk" really means "you and 2 other people going to be working 80-90 hour work weeks just trying to keep these 12-20 companies afloat and 500+ employees employed."
I managed to do it for 3 years and I learned A METRIC FUCKTON mostly thanks to my 2 cohorts.

One guy moved on after about a year. They basically fired him by withholding his salary from our dept's funding. He and I wound up splitting an FTE (whatever the gently caress that means since we still worked 80 hours) and each had our salaries cut to $20k until he left about 6 weeks later, but I digress.

The other guy and I left at the same time to go work somewhere else and the entire company folded a few months later.
gently caress that place. I learned a lot but gently caress ever being worked like that again. It's beyond abusive.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Why are you quitting? I've given you so much!
When I left my previous job, I wrote up a huge list of things I was working on and busted my rear end to finish as many things as I could. I even moved back my last day so I could finish a couple more things. Boss basically said what I quoted, but she was right--she really had given me a lot of training and experience (along with a few nightmares).

This job? I would like to write "I DON'T GIVE A gently caress" on a post-it and slide it across the table at the first of three scheduled exit interviews.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

ConfusedUs posted:

The whole place imploded a few years after I left. His wife left him and went full scorched earth on the whole thing. It went so bad that the owner (his dad) fired Mr. Adultery from the company! Dude is now working for an old competitor in a city on the other side of the state in a low-level position similar to the one I held when I worked for him.

The schadenfreude is so good.

I eagerly await the day that happens to him, but I'm afraid his wife does know and just lets it slide. She does allegedly know about the time he hosed the 16 year old babysitter, which is why they can never go back to Utah.

This is also the place where, in the first week, one of my female co-workers told me, "Pretend to be gay, and he won't hit on you. If you don't, you'll get dickpics and constant harassment." I faked gay, and it worked. When I left, he told her, "It's a drat shame DRJ wasn't straight, cuz I would have hit that." I guess bonus points for being the first harasser dude who took not-straight as "off limits" instead of "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED"?

Another time, he handed me my paycheck with a 20 dollar bill stapled to the stub. "If you leave me a 5 star review on my latest SEO book on Amazon," he said, "You can keep it." I carefully peeled back the staple with my fingernail, eased it out of the bill, folded it in half, handed it back to him, and said, "I don't take bribes."

And then I stole $20 out of the cash register when he wasn't looking because gently caress that guy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Everything about that is horrible and I want to hear more.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

And then I stole $20 out of the cash register when he wasn't looking because gently caress that guy.

You rock.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

totalnewbie posted:

I've always felt that read like a piece of satire..
every sentence of that is satirical, even if it's entirely serious

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Turns out "Helpdesk" really means "you and 2 other people going to be working 80-90 hour work weeks just trying to keep these 12-20 companies afloat and 500+ employees employed."
I managed to do it for 3 years and I learned A METRIC FUCKTON mostly thanks to my 2 cohorts.

One guy moved on after about a year. They basically fired him by withholding his salary from our dept's funding. He and I wound up splitting an FTE (whatever the gently caress that means since we still worked 80 hours) and each had our salaries cut to $20k until he left about 6 weeks later, but I digress.

The other guy and I left at the same time to go work somewhere else and the entire company folded a few months later.
gently caress that place. I learned a lot but gently caress ever being worked like that again. It's beyond abusive.
This seems... illegal.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

even if it is, have fun getting your salary cut to $0 for complaining about it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Truly I am spoiled by not living in America.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I made a comment about "being pretty sure that they're legally required to at least pay minimum wage" but was told that I was Salary Exempt because I was in IT, so that did not apply.
It was later that I found out you have to make at least $47,000/year for that to even count, also I didn't have the type of IT job that would even warrant that, so it was all bullshit.

Too bad I don't have anyone left to sue, but last I heard the CEO was in hiding from some pretty dodgy people he borrowed money from and also possibly facing prison time for healthcare/medical device fraud. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You let them walk away with your money. If you lived in the states your states labor board would have prosecuted the case for you and got you your money + extra. That is highly illegal. Your employer is not allowed to let you work for free under any condition and they certainly can't change your pay without your consent.

In the US, an employer not paying you what you are already owed is one of the last things that is 100% protected.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

You let them walk away with your money. If you lived in the states your states labor board would have prosecuted the case for you and got you your money + extra. That is highly illegal. Your employer is not allowed to let you work for free under any condition and they certainly can't change your pay without your consent.

In the US, an employer not paying you what you are already owed is one of the last things that is 100% protected.

Can he just be fired for no reason and offered the possibility of being re-hired at a different rate with a bunch of winking

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Methanar posted:

Can he just be fired for no reason and offered the possibility of being re-hired at a different rate with a bunch of winking

Well, when your employer states they can no longer pay you the wages you agreed to, they can ask your permission to lower them. If you don't agree they are essentially laying you off (non-contractors) and deal with the issues of laying off an employee. If you are a contractor you have to agree to a new contract to continue. They just can't up and decide to pay you different when they feel like it.

Wage theft is common because people don't know their rights or believe that it isn't worth fighting for them. These companies are stealing from you because you let them.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

For what it's worth, there's this reply to that tweet:

https://twitter.com/RogueAles/status/1100437957347991552

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't believe for a minute it was a joke. Maybe after the poo poo they took they improved and started saying "Oh, haha, that was a joke," but no way do I believe that wasn't a serious posting at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

My thoughts exactly. People who make horrible racist jokes and decide afterwards, based on the responses, if they were serious or joking... are the worst type of people. And always racist.