Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

A Ton of Wombats, the game about playing uplifted Australian wildlife locked in pitch mecha combat against the forces of Space Britain and the Controlled Nations in The Emu War II: Electric Boogaloo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

No, you're actually wrong. "Narrative dice" is just FFG's cute brand name and you're still fundamentally doing a skill check same as any other game; it doesn't mean "roll to get a narrative", you're still just rolling to see if something your character is attempting to do succeeds or not. As a skill check it follows exactly the same caveats - don't roll unless something is at stake or unless failure is interesting. And don't roll if the story the GM is trying to tell presumes a success!

The only difference is that in addition to "pass" or "fail" the dice add "and" or "but" to the mix.

So in the end, if your GM had you roll and you failed and the only thing they could think of was to stop and sputter and say "okay well I guess you pass anyway" you should not have rolled!

It's described as 'Narrative Dice' because you're injecting new narrative into the scene you're in. You get some advantage and choose to use that to have a pipe burst and blow gas into the stormtroopers faces is you inventing the pressurised gas that is there and whats going on etc. It lets you inject a lot of tone and structure to the environment.

theironjef posted:

I mean, play continued. We just boggled for a second at the math of it and figured it out. The character's patter rang false because he was trying to appeal to two people with very different wants at once, and we moved forward.

Look, this story wasn't about my 500th game of FFG Star Wars. It was my first die result (actually my first five). It was everyone at the table's first time playing the game, too. We were momentarily confused by what that meant and moved on. That said, I can still acknowledge that the dice can kick up results that aren't especially interesting, and what with all the mental calculation you have to do to total up what's on all of them, I don't know that I came out of that session thinking heck yeah, these dice are totally worth it. Honestly, I have always tended towards either super rules light or super crunchy, and this sort of hybrid game just didn't have what I was looking for. For a variety of reasons.

For the record I completely get where you are coming from, though yeah that was a weird thing to have a roll for since failure means they shouldnt trust you but you and GM's premise was that they should trust you but ignoring that there is definitely a curve to roll over until people get and can piece the structure of an FFG star wars game. There is a real kind of process you have to do to end up with a result until you get used to it. It's unironically why I run the beginner adventure for every group thats new to the system because it breaks it down and structures it so well and really gets people to understand why the dice can help tell a story.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 27, 2019

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

e: wrong thread, whoops.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hostile V posted:

A Ton of Wombats, the game about playing uplifted Australian wildlife locked in pitch mecha combat against the forces of Space Britain and the Controlled Nations in The Emu War II: Electric Boogaloo.

Okay but why does this not exist as an actual game yet?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Seriously, kickstart that and make one of the stretch goals paying Ursula Vernon to illustrate.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

moths posted:

Changing games still creates a problem where your guy's tactical mastery is capped at how well you play Warhammer.

It's like how Master Chief is supposed to be this advanced super soldier, but then in combat he's as terrible and useless as I am at Halo.

I think it's ultimately the same problem as puzzles or social "combat." It only highlights differences between player and character, while making roleplaying whatever the opposite of "seamless" is.

that's not a problem it's a feature

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Star Wars needs in depth piloting rules as much as it needs in depth gear rules :colbert:

Until Star Wars ttgs are no longer made by nerds, however, you will most likely have to live with both.

I like FFG Star Wars a lot, but boy does it have that flaw (that all Star Wars games have had)

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

I've actually just started work on a Star Wars hack of 7th Sea 2e, which should avoid both of those problems.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just use Fate, "proactive, competent, dramatic" is literally perfect for the kind of pulp action that Star Wars is about.

It even has good dogfighting rules in Tachyon Squadron.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

EverettLO posted:

I want to play A Time of Wark, a game about the dismounted lives of elite chocobo lancers, playing out their deadly rivalries in the kingdom's court.

I would absolutely play this.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So due to trawling through a blog's older articles I ended up at Zak's blog, and first I'll make it clear that he is an absolute CHUD, but man did he used to write some good articles, ended up reading his series of articles where he goes through the original Monster Manual alphabetically and talk about his thoughts on each monster, and there's some really good bits

Shame it's all kinda tainted now because he's a human cesspit

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lemon-Lime posted:

Okay but why does this not exist as an actual game yet?

When's the KS?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did Vampire 5 end up getting low-key cancelled? Modiphius doesn't have anything new on their page, and OPP only mentions two upcoming products.

drrockso20 posted:

Shame it's all kinda tainted now because he's a human cesspit

Whatever good he put into the hobby will forever be overshadowed by the voices he chased out of it.

I literally grew up on old school D&D, but rarely went near OSR anything because of the community's preoccupation with covering for scumbags.

I think it's a little like Woody Allen or Polanski. The material isn't actually that special,but fans need it to be great enough to outweigh watching a horrible person's movies, so they just mentality inflate the quality.

There was some guy on Reddit talking about how irreplaceable and perfect art a zak book was and it's just like - no dude. It's interchangeable, easily replaced, and won't be missed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

Did Vampire 5 end up getting low-key cancelled? Modiphius doesn't have anything new on their page, and OPP only mentions two upcoming products.

I think, politely put, they're still in a transition phase. Need to sort some stuff out first.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

that metaphor doesn't really work, because Polanski really is that good of a director, unfortunately

(Woody Allen's a loving hack though)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the real point is it doesn't matter if they made good art or not, because all of it ultimately pales in comparison to the significance of human suffering

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the real point is it doesn't matter if they made good art or not, because all of it ultimately pales in comparison to the significance of human suffering

Yeah i dont agree with the other point of "they werent that good anyway" because its a coping mechanism. Yes, the art was good. Yes, giving it up is a true sacrifice. It's still worth doing anyway as a show of concern for the victims.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Maybe Polanski is better than I thought? Rosemary's Baby sucked.

But the second point isn't "...and they're no good, anyway." It's that they're not irreplaceable. Clearing them out makes room for replacements and fresh voices.

People latch onto the idea that we've got to celebrate and preserve "art" above all else, and nah. There's always more and it's often better. Keep your eyes open.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

moths posted:

My understanding is that Paradox killed the whole of White Wolf, Vampire included, after that book which started an international incident with the Chechen government.

They're keeping the brand around with an eye to licensing it out to third parties, but White Wolf the company is functionally gone.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Context definitely makes the ending of Chinatown creepier, which almost seems impossible, but there you have it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

potatocubed posted:

My understanding is that Paradox killed the whole of White Wolf, Vampire included, after that book which started an international incident with the Chechen government.

They're keeping the brand around with an eye to licensing it out to third parties, but White Wolf the company is functionally gone.

Swedracula is still in some form of leadership there, though, so don't be surprised if he's been shifted to some role on whatever Bloodlines-related game they've been teasing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Context definitely makes the ending of Chinatown creepier, which almost seems impossible, but there you have it.

Hate that I never got to see Chinatown before knowing about Polanski, so I've never seen it.

Did see Love and Death before finding out about Allen, and it was very funny but I haven't watched it since.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Hate that I never got to see Chinatown before knowing about Polanski, so I've never seen it.

Idk man Chinatown isnt the result of a single artist. Its not a song or a painting or a book, its the result of many actors and producers and artists combining their talent with the help of one coordinator.

Chinatown is good

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Chinatown may be early enough to buy that sort of reasoning, but every movie he made since his exile is full of people who implicitly support the man and his actions and are at least willing to work with him. Some of them, many even, vocally support him.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One idea I had for space combat rules is simply, everyone gets to shoot. There are gun emplacements all over the ship and you can shoot while also raising shields or repairing damage. Of course in a licensed game like Star Wars you gotta be true to canon but for generic space opera just have everyone fire. That way combat works like ground combat and the encounter calculations are similar. (Of course this only works in the kind of game where everyone has some combat proficiency.)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'd probably just do it Legend of The Galactic Heroes style and give everyone their own ship to command

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
All the 'ship crewing' games run into the same problem, that there's only three interesting roles on a spaceship: pilot, gunner, and engineer. Maybe throw in fighter pilot as a fourth if the ship is big enough. There's just not enough variety to make the other roles mechanically interesting.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

fool_of_sound posted:

All the 'ship crewing' games run into the same problem, that there's only three interesting roles on a spaceship: pilot, gunner, and engineer. Maybe throw in fighter pilot as a fourth if the ship is big enough. There's just not enough variety to make the other roles mechanically interesting.

Also being confined to a ship means that in terms of tactical gameplay you're losing out on things like independent movement. It's not necessarily an insurmountable obstacle, but a lot of the time even these interesting roles boil down to "making the appropriate dice rolls when called for, rinse repeat."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Also being confined to a ship means that in terms of tactical gameplay you're losing out on things like independent movement. It's not necessarily an insurmountable obstacle, but a lot of the time even these interesting roles boil down to "making the appropriate dice rolls when called for, rinse repeat."

You can still give those 3/4 roles enough options that they have to meaningfully make decisions, even if those decisions are cooperative. It's just that most non-storygames have more than 3/4 players

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

getting high and buying translucent dice is just the nerd version of buying lava lamps or reggae posters

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

You can add more if you make a game where boarding actions are the norm. But then you're just fighting a normal fight on a map of your ship. Although maybe just the Security character/team does that while the others still have to keep dealing with the space combat.

If it's a fleet game, you can have someone whose job is to coordinate with the allied ships. An admiral ackbar type role, I guess?

You could have each character get their own ship, either fighters or hell go for a full-blown Voltron scenario, but that goes back to the problem of character specialization, you'd be forcing everyone to be skilled in "space fighter pilot"

Just spitballing. I think you're basically right though, in a game where the characters and rules are focused on party-based social and combat encounters, puzzle solving, etc. can't do mass combats - space or otherwise - well, because they're at the wrong scale and have a different focus.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A game that is going to put players into operating parts of ships should probably not also make "Fighter Pilot" it's own narrowly-skilled class that competes against "Space Mage", and it should probably also structure the skill system so that being good at piloting doesn't come at a significant opportunity cost relative to all the other skills you might want to be taking.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

What in the god drat is this, and why are you making me pay $99 for a PDF:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/267776/Invisible-Sun?src=hottest_filtered

The Info Page posted:

The Invisible Sun roleplaying game is an unprecedented production, filled with massive amounts of content for a unique roleplaying experience. The Invisible Sun PDF contains roughly 80 files, including (and this is not an exhaustive list):

- Four books totaling over 600 pages of game and setting content, fully hyperlinked and bookmarked.
- Roughly 1000 cards laid out in a printer-friendly format.
- The Sooth Deck, a beautiful tarot-like deck that’s instrumental to game play.
- The Path of Suns, used with the Sooth Deck.
- A wide variety of tokens for tracking game info.
- Several poster maps.
- The Guiding Hand, GM’s notebook, in both a printer-friendly and form-fillable format.
- Character tomes (similar in function to character sheets in other RPGs) for all four orders, plus apostates, along with grimoire sheets.
- Five pregenerated characters.
- Loads of in-setting handouts and props.
- A gorgeous art book.
- And the Invisible Sun app is free from the MCG Shop.

Invisible Sun is a game about discovery and secrets. There may be other content awaiting discovery in your PDF.

Considering how much it will cost if I want to get these printed, I'm balking at the idea I'm being given a "deal" here, when I'd much rather buy this peacemeal so I don't have to pay for poo poo I don't want.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Spector29 posted:

What in the god drat is this, and why are you making me pay $99 for a PDF:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/267776/Invisible-Sun?src=hottest_filtered

Considering how much it will cost if I want to get these printed, I'm balking at the idea I'm being given a "deal" here, when I'd much rather buy this peacemeal so I don't have to pay for poo poo I don't want.

Good news, it's a Monte Cook game and therefore bad. Invisible Sun is his 'incredibly pretentious' phase. Try Unknown Armies 3e for a similar setting written by a vastly more competent person.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
To be fair to the Cook, it says that it's a massive 1,000 pages. And if the artwork within is similar to the samples given, that's not an unreasonable price.

This is going solely by the price-to-content ratio and not what the quality of said content.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is about to circle back to the Industry thread discussion about RPG pricing - if you don't think the content is good (and everything I heard of Invisible Sun suggests that it isn't), then you shouldn't buy it, but 99 USD sounds about right as far as the amount of labour that went into producing the content.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is about to circle back to the Industry thread discussion about RPG pricing - if you don't think the content is good (and everything I heard of Invisible Sun suggests that it isn't), then you shouldn't buy it, but 99 USD sounds about right as far as the amount of labour that went into producing the content.

yeah it looks gorgeous, especially those physical boxed editions with the hands and junk, it's just too bad the system wasn't as cool. There was chat earlier in the thread about it and the weird currency just wouldn't quite work/how the not-fighters get utterly shafted and not-wizards rock

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A thousand pages worth of material is roughly a D&D Player's Handbook, DMG, and Monster Manual give or take, so if you're going by pagecount then yeah, a hundred bucks is in the ballpark. As other people have said though, the failing here isn't the amount of content, it's that the game isn't actually very good, and for that $99 you could get close to a complete Unknown Armies 3E set or, I dunno, like five other smaller, better games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

moths posted:

Whatever good he put into the hobby will forever be overshadowed by the voices he chased out of it.

I literally grew up on old school D&D, but rarely went near OSR anything because of the community's preoccupation with covering for scumbags.

I think it's a little like Woody Allen or Polanski. The material isn't actually that special,but fans need it to be great enough to outweigh watching a horrible person's movies, so they just mentality inflate the quality.

There was some guy on Reddit talking about how irreplaceable and perfect art a zak book was and it's just like - no dude. It's interchangeable, easily replaced, and won't be missed.

I think this kind of thing is almost terminal in RPGs, where most of the prominent voices in the medium have literally no standards except maybe for what properly tickles their nostalgia bellyfeels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

fool_of_sound posted:

Pilot: plots the course, evades threats, executes daredevil manoeuvres
Gunner: shoot man
Engineer: fixes things, upgrades them, gives things a temporary, dangerous boost, maybe spacewalks
Comms: communicates with other ships, investigates and detects things, asks the big questions
Drone or fighter pilot (whichever depending on ship size): runs interference, carries out precision strikes, sneaks through the enemy
Hacker: interferes with enemy ship functions, defends against enemy hackers