Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I’ve been wearing closed headphones for years and years after working in open plan offices. Found my old Ad900s in a drawer and holy gently caress l forgot what having soundstage is like huh.

gently caress open plan offices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

resident posted:

For=from? I'm interested if so... PM me, maybe?

yes, you have pm

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Granite Octopus posted:

I’ve been wearing closed headphones for years and years after working in open plan offices. Found my old Ad900s in a drawer and holy gently caress l forgot what having soundstage is like huh.

gently caress open plan offices.

High five fellow AD900X enthusiast. If you haven't already slap some ZMF eikon suede pads on them and laugh as they cease to exist on your head.

Shame about the cable since only the X5000 has a good one and that's flagship money.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've been wanting a new set of headphones for a while. My current ones are good, but I'm getting annoyed with the cord - I'm thinking of going wireless, and was looking for information/recommendations.

First off, I'm currently using Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and I love 'em. But I was hoping for something wireless. Open headphones are fine as I don't need high isolation. I spend quite a bit of time with the headphones on so long-time use comfort would be a definite consideration.

I use them about 75% for PC gaming, and about 25% for listening to music, watching shows, etc. An integrated mic would be nice, but not necessary. Same with virtual surround - would be a nice feature but I don't know exactly how well it works, so I don't really know if that's something to be looking for?

Here's a few I've been looking at :

https://www.amzn.com/B072Q4Y5FV
https://www.amzn.com/B07FZVXS8H
https://www.amzn.com/B077ZGRY9V

I'm wondering if anyone here can give me some tips on finding the right set, what to look out for and avoid, etc.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

khy posted:

I've been wanting a new set of headphones for a while. My current ones are good, but I'm getting annoyed with the cord - I'm thinking of going wireless, and was looking for information/recommendations.

First off, I'm currently using Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and I love 'em. But I was hoping for something wireless. Open headphones are fine as I don't need high isolation. I spend quite a bit of time with the headphones on so long-time use comfort would be a definite consideration.

I use them about 75% for PC gaming, and about 25% for listening to music, watching shows, etc. An integrated mic would be nice, but not necessary. Same with virtual surround - would be a nice feature but I don't know exactly how well it works, so I don't really know if that's something to be looking for?

Here's a few I've been looking at :

https://www.amzn.com/B072Q4Y5FV
https://www.amzn.com/B07FZVXS8H
https://www.amzn.com/B077ZGRY9V

I'm wondering if anyone here can give me some tips on finding the right set, what to look out for and avoid, etc.

All of those would work.

Would you like to go all out? https://www.audeze.com/products/mobius-series/mobius-headphone

Incidentally Kingston and Audeze have teamed up. You'll see a HyperX version of the Mobius in due course, some features removed and a lower price.

Actually never mind, the collaboration is wired https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/7/18171636/hyperx-cloud-orbit-gaming-headphones-planar-magnetic-price-release-date-ces-2019

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 25, 2019

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Just FYI the mobius cannot do surround when connected via bluetooth.

As far as I know bluetooth only supports stereo transmission so this is probably true for all other wireless gaming headsets.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

$399 is a bit more than I was thinking of spending, and I definitely don't think I need head tracking as a feature. Still those were impressive as hell.

I'm just trying to figure out a way to narrow down which of the many, many headphones I've been looking at would best suit my purposes. S'why I wondered if there were any tips on what to get/avoid, that sort of thing?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

DancingShade posted:

All of those would work.

Would you like to go all out? https://www.audeze.com/products/mobius-series/mobius-headphone

Incidentally Kingston and Audeze have teamed up. You'll see a HyperX version of the Mobius in due course, some features removed and a lower price.

Actually never mind, the collaboration is wired https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/7/18171636/hyperx-cloud-orbit-gaming-headphones-planar-magnetic-price-release-date-ces-2019

Are those gaming headsets actually decent? I picked up a pair of Logitech Surround Gaming headphones, after I already had a pair of ATH-M50Xs and they sounded like hot trash in comparison, despite costing nearly twice as much.

My final solution of HD650s, an Audio Technica AT2020 mic on artiulcated mount, and a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 DAC / Audio Interface ended up costing significantly more at ~$800, but I’m pretty confident I’ll be using it all for a decade or more.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
I ordered Koss Porta Pros via amazon and they came a day late and amazon credited me the purchase prices. Feels good.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Are those gaming headsets actually decent? I picked up a pair of Logitech Surround Gaming headphones, after I already had a pair of ATH-M50Xs and they sounded like hot trash in comparison, despite costing nearly twice as much.

My final solution of HD650s, an Audio Technica AT2020 mic on artiulcated mount, and a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 DAC / Audio Interface ended up costing significantly more at ~$800, but I’m pretty confident I’ll be using it all for a decade or more.

Well it depends on what you want your headset to actually do. They all do comms stuff perfectly fine.

You have to make a choice - do you want to focus on music listening, general game audio and comms or do you want positional audio for FPS gaming and comms?

If you are asking "Can't I just have it all in one headphone? Great music listening, accurate positional audio and a microphone?" then that's a whole other conversation about usage scenarios, gaming genres and budget. You'll end up buying mid-tier to flagship tier audiophile headphones, a dedicated amplifier (possibly including a DAC, possibly buying a seperate DAC) and a modmic or a standalone desktop microphone like a USB broadcast microphone.

Part of the reason your Logitechs sounded bad is they're frankly cheaper and lower quality than the M50X. Rip out the electronics and you'd have a pretty basic pair of headphones underneath it all. Then you have the surround sound aspect being a software fix for a headphone shortcoming. It absolutely works for positional audio but it's ultimately a fancy equalizer (kind of) so that's why things sound off when you use 7.1 virtual surround sound. Then you have some headphones that are designed specifically to use it, but since implementation varies by manufacturer they tend to only sound good when used with their intended sources.

The hardware solution that makes virtual surround sound irrelevant for FPS positional audio is any pair of headphones with a strong focus on imaging & sound stage. Products like the AKG701 (you can still buy these from Massdrop in the form of the 7XX), Audio-Technica AD900X, various high end headphones (NOT ALL), etc. To get the most out of them you're going to buy a fair bit of hardware to go. Dedicated amps, DACs, etc. You might get sticker shock looking at the prices and that's why cheap gaming headsets remain very popular.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 26, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Should have said this as a summary but since I wrote a wall of text I'll say it here instead: endgame gaming headset is actually a quality desktop microphone (Audio-Technica, Blue Yeti, etc) and whatever headphones you want running completely separately.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The mobius has a boom mic which works nice, Blue Yeti is actually not a great example of a gaming mic as it's a condenser and will pick up noise coming in from all over the place, dynamic boom mics have certain advantages for gaming use cases if you're not a push-to-talk kind of guy.

Regarding the virtual surround\soundstages comment, this is just well, not very accurate, at the end of the day if you're listening to a non-binaural-stereo-source you're not going to hear anything coming in from behind you, you're not going to get the 'additional auditory data' encoded on the surround channels (assuming you're playing a game or watching a movie with a surround soundtrack, of course), virtual surround processors will change that. Now, some virtual surround processors sound terrible, some are not capable of creating a sense of direction and on top of all this, many games output binaural audio which doesn't require any virtual surround emulation because your brain will already interpret as coming from a distinct direction (cause that's how virtual surround also works). In fact it can be said that game encoded binaural audio is the more 'correct' approach, in fact that's how all VR spatializers work.

But, as I'm shilling for the Mobius I'll also discuss headtracking for second: head tracking was not conceived as a gimmick, the whole idea here is that in the real world your HRTF is dynamic in the sense that when your head moves the sources in the room remain static and the HRTF filters change, that's why with the mobius if you want to hear the rear channels better you can slightly rotate your head and it will make a difference, which in my biased opinion makes for a far more convincing virtual surround experience.

You can experience the Waves Nx technology used on the mobius here in an online demo that uses face tracking to track your head orientation, it might give a clearer sense of what the technology is supposed to do and why headtracking is even a thing in headphones - https://www.waves.com/nx/player

(full disclosure, I am an employee of Waves Audio).

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011
I'm looking for some recommendations. I've been using some Fidelio X2's since they came out and I've generally enjoyed them but there are a few things I don't like. I've got more disposable income now and I'd like to look at possible upgrades. Specifically I'm looking for something with less sibilance and graininess in the treble and just a bit more sub-bass. Not sure if there is something that satisfies both of those requests so given the choice something with the same bass response but cleaner treble would be preferable.

Budget: ~$600, possibly a bit more if it means a significant jump in quality
Source : PC through Cavalli Tube Hybrid amp
Isolation Requirements: None at all
Preferred Type of Headphone: Open circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance: Mostly balanced
Past Headphones: Fidelio X2

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Blue Yeti is actually not a great example of a gaming mic as it's a condenser and will pick up noise coming in from all over the place, dynamic boom mics have certain advantages for gaming use cases if you're not a push-to-talk kind of guy.

Condenser mics only pick up noise from all over if you position them to be able to pick up noise from all over. If you put it in a shock mount on a boom arm you can position it directly in front of you where it will pretty much just get your speech. Granted this involves spending more money on these extras and most people probably wont consider the cost worthwhile.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I use my Status Audio CB-1s with a vmoda boom pro and it's perfectly serviceable for almost everything.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Enzenx posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations. I've been using some Fidelio X2's since they came out and I've generally enjoyed them but there are a few things I don't like. I've got more disposable income now and I'd like to look at possible upgrades. Specifically I'm looking for something with less sibilance and graininess in the treble and just a bit more sub-bass. Not sure if there is something that satisfies both of those requests so given the choice something with the same bass response but cleaner treble would be preferable.

Budget: ~$600, possibly a bit more if it means a significant jump in quality
Source : PC through Cavalli Tube Hybrid amp
Isolation Requirements: None at all
Preferred Type of Headphone: Open circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance: Mostly balanced
Past Headphones: Fidelio X2

Condenser mics only pick up noise from all over if you position them to be able to pick up noise from all over. If you put it in a shock mount on a boom arm you can position it directly in front of you where it will pretty much just get your speech. Granted this involves spending more money on these extras and most people probably wont consider the cost worthwhile.

hifiman sundara is an awesome choice if you're coming from the fidelio x2. super airy, crispy, and has punchy bass. very clean sounding presentation and still stands as being one of my favorite bang for $ headphones. treble is present and clear, but isn't grainy. if you can stretch, the Hifiman Ananda is amazing too, easy to drive, and has a great soundstage, you can usually find them for about $700 - $850 used and does sound better than the sundara, as the sundara is a little more "fun" with its sound.

Focal Elex is great too if you can do the $99 stretch. even though I ragged on it for it clipping w/ subbass at high SPL, it is incredibly tonally neutral and punchy. and if you luck out you can find them used for $580 - $650.

all of these cans regardless represent the best value you can possibly find today below $1K.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The Moondrop Kanas Pro is a goddamn good IEM. I think its sound signature will appeal to a lot of people.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Random product plug:

I'm a total moron who broke the cable to my HD598's (although, they survived like 6 years of abuse, so can't be too mad at Sennheiser), and the OEM replacements were pretty friggin' pricey.

I ended up buying these, and drat they're nice for the price. Feels well made, way thinner and lighter than the OEM cable, looks great, and pretty drat light on the wallet. It's also nice to have a reasonable length cable instead of the crazy 10ft one.

A+, would clothesline myself in VR again.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

KillHour posted:

Random product plug:

I'm a total moron who broke the cable to my HD598's (although, they survived like 6 years of abuse, so can't be too mad at Sennheiser), and the OEM replacements were pretty friggin' pricey.

I ended up buying these, and drat they're nice for the price. Feels well made, way thinner and lighter than the OEM cable, looks great, and pretty drat light on the wallet. It's also nice to have a reasonable length cable instead of the crazy 10ft one.

A+, would clothesline myself in VR again.

Weird, I bought the same replacement for my HD650’s(link) because I also wanted a shorter cable. I agree that they are good, but I would want to warn; Maybe I’m extra sensitive to line(cable rubbing) noise, but the braided cord makes any movement much more noticeable.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Speaking of cables. I picked up my LCD-Xs the other day to find at some point the clip top of one of the headphone cable jacks had come off.

The headphones still work fine, the right channel cable is just at more danger of getting tugged out by mistake.

Am I alright just using them until I can replace the cable? It probably has zero effect on the sound.

For reference it's the part of the cable where you press down on the tab to snap them into the ports.

Like in this picture on the right.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Newegg has Phillips SHP9500's back for $80 for anyone interested or wants to buy a backup pair

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Speaking of cables. I picked up my LCD-Xs the other day to find at some point the clip top of one of the headphone cable jacks had come off.

The headphones still work fine, the right channel cable is just at more danger of getting tugged out by mistake.

Am I alright just using them until I can replace the cable? It probably has zero effect on the sound.

For reference it's the part of the cable where you press down on the tab to snap them into the ports.

Like in this picture on the right.

It’s fine, but also an easy fix. If your cable is made with the same Switchcraft TA4FX as my stock cable is, you can just buy a new one and swap the whole outer shell. It’s just a screw-on thing.

I made very little effort to find a good deal, but here’s one for $7.

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/107105-switchcraft-ta4fx-4-pin-mini-xlrf-ta-series-cable-mount-connector

If yours isn’t a Switchcraft, it still shouldn’t be hard to source. There aren’t many companies making mini-XLR connectors.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KingShiro posted:

Newegg has Phillips SHP9500's back for $80 for anyone interested or wants to buy a backup pair

I still can't believe they're even that much. I held out when they were $50 and managed to get a pair for $45 and I think that's about the right price for those. They're good headphones tho.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I still can't believe they're even that much. I held out when they were $50 and managed to get a pair for $45 and I think that's about the right price for those. They're good headphones tho.

Yeah I don’t know if I would pay that for them. They are good but $80 is a bit much. I like the CB-1s the best though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Weird, I bought the same replacement for my HD650’s(link) because I also wanted a shorter cable. I agree that they are good, but I would want to warn; Maybe I’m extra sensitive to line(cable rubbing) noise, but the braided cord makes any movement much more noticeable.

I literally just noticed this a few minutes ago. Not a big deal to me but I could see how some would find it annoying.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

DancingShade posted:

High five fellow AD900X enthusiast. If you haven't already slap some ZMF eikon suede pads on them and laugh as they cease to exist on your head.

The factory pads are starting to pill and look pretty lovely... so these pads just happen to fit them well enough?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Granite Octopus posted:

The factory pads are starting to pill and look pretty lovely... so these pads just happen to fit them well enough?

Yep they go right on, perfect fit. Deeper & more comfortable too so your ears won't be crushed anymore.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
edit:nevermind

Passburger fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 28, 2019

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Decided to get the dekoni blue fostex as a second pair of cans as well as an amp. I'm hoping they'll turn out well. If not I'll return em I guess.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I asked here before but I need buds for my fiancee, $20 Sony ones I gave her in July are crapping out. Someone here recommended me a set from amazon(?) once, some unfamiliar brand name, I feel like they were translucent, or maybe just the cable was. Maybe none of them were! Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Regardless, I need a recommendation. Should I just get the 10 dollar Philips special? She's no audiophile. I'd like to consider wireless but she uses the things so much, having to charge them literally every day can be tedious

okay, I think what I was talking about above were KZ headphones

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 28, 2019

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

codo27 posted:

I asked here before but I need buds for my fiancee, $20 Sony ones I gave her in July are crapping out. Someone here recommended me a set from amazon(?) once, some unfamiliar brand name, I feel like they were translucent, or maybe just the cable was. Maybe none of them were! Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Regardless, I need a recommendation. Should I just get the 10 dollar Philips special? She's no audiophile. I'd like to consider wireless but she uses the things so much, having to charge them literally every day can be tedious

okay, I think what I was talking about above were KZ headphones

if you really want something cheap that just works and doesn't sound absolutely terrible.

VE Monks

https://www.amazon.com/Venture-Electronics-MONK-earbud-earphone/dp/B01J0S4AAS

Bolt
Dec 14, 2004
k
Hey y'all, I'm selling a bunch of headphones, two amps, and some other stuff on SA-Mart here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883366

I put everything well under Amazon used prices, so if you're interested in any of:

Focal Elear
Beyerdynamic T5P
Monoprice M1060 and M1060C
Beyerdynamic DT1350
1More Quad In-Ear Monitors
Final Audio Adagio V

or desktop/portable amplification, take a look!

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
The dekoni blue fostex are super comfy. They don't clamp to the side of my head as badly as the 58x which is a godsend since I have a fat head. Sound fine too but I won't be able to drive them as well as I should until the back ordered atom amp ships.
Edit- I'm honestly surprised by how well my onboard sound is driving them. have to max out the volume but what I'm getting is mostly listenable and clear. I don't have any experience with amp so I dunno how big the sound difference will be when these headphones get more power but I'm def excited.

ChazTurbo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 2, 2019

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
So I've been using a pair of NVX XPT100s for the last few years, but the loving headband broke around the left earpiece and the NVX store is out of replacements. I've been considering going wireless for a while anyway, since juggling cords gets annoying, but I have no idea where to even start looking. So anyone have suggestions for something wireless that sounds good for around $100 or so? I mostly listen to music with the occasional video game, but really just want something better than the meh backup pair I'm now forced into using.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

My DT 990 PROs finally died after years of being held together with electrical tape. I'd consider just getting another pair but the headband broke on both ends pretty quickly under the pressure of squeezing on my large head. Got some good ol' HD 280 PROs for now, which is what I used before, but they're always a bit tighter than I like. Anyone recommend anything in the $100-$200 range that's comfortable for big heads? Preferably one with a built-in mic for gaming, which is mainly what it'll be used for.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Anyone have any experience with the topping d30? It looks really good for the price.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

ChazTurbo posted:

Anyone have any experience with the topping d30? It looks really good for the price.

topping d30 is a good dac, but the khadas tone board is objectively better (lower noise floor), and cheaper. only requires some simple DIY assembly

https://www.khadas.com/product-page/tone-board

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ChazTurbo posted:

I have one, it's great. And it was less expensive to buy than the tone board for me, a eurogoon.

The tone board may have a lower noise floor, but the D30 is completely silent already.

E: also the tone board doesn't have TOSLINK, which I need.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 3, 2019

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

I have one, it's great. And it was less expensive to buy than the tone board for me, a eurogoon.

The tone board may have a lower noise floor, but the D30 is completely silent already.

E: also the tone board doesn't have TOSLINK, which I need.

Thanks. The tone board seems nice but I'm in need of something with an optical input. Getting the atom amp for now and will likely acquire the D30 down the line when I have money to spare.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

ChazTurbo posted:

Thanks. The tone board seems nice but I'm in need of something with an optical input. Getting the atom amp for now and will likely acquire the D30 down the line when I have money to spare.

I am using a Topping D30 + JDS Atom combo and have been really happy with it.

I do wish JDS would come out with a newer DAC (with USB/optical in) to be competitive with the tone board / D30 / etc. and a nicer cosmetic match for the Atom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

We'll, there's the EL DAC, but it'll set you back $250.