Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1100693519491100672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Axetrain posted:

Crossposting from C-Spam.

Billions dead globally.

Fuuuuuck I didn't need to read that.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Doesn't India and Pakistan have a history of ratcheting tensions way the gently caress up, then escalating after a while?

I thought that some people last year were worried about a potential war between the two

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Nice piece of fish posted:

Fuuuuuck I didn't need to read that.
Pakistan and India have been clashing periodically for years. I doubt nukes are a realistic prediction.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'm not convinced it's solely the travel ban. They've been aggressively denying H1-Bs as well. That doesn't make it better.

There's also a not-insignificant number of foreign born professionals that saw/are seeing the writing on the wall and leaving before they are forced out.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Cable Guy posted:

Pakistan and India have been clashing periodically for years. I doubt nukes are a realistic prediction.

I know, but that poo poo triggers my prepper-ness hard.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cable Guy posted:

Normalcy bias is a hell of a drug

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Booourns posted:

lol you think an apology tour would matter? trump is causing permanent damage

It’s probably better that the world learn not to trust the United States to not elect garbage leaders.

Somehow, they did not learn this lesson from Bush, or Reagan.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Willo567 posted:

Doesn't India and Pakistan have a history of ratcheting tensions way the gently caress up, then escalating after a while?

I thought that some people last year were worried about a potential war between the two

Yes, but...

Modi, the PM of India has been under extended pressure because of failing to live up to his promises and forecasts aren't good for him/his party in the upcoming elections.

Because of his extremism, he was previously banned from a number of countries, until the US, until becoming PM and being able to travel on a diplomatic passport.

Also there's still a lot of outrage at Pakistan because of the Mumbai attack, and violence against Muslims in India has been on the increase since Modi's party got into power.

So he'll likely try and push things more, to use it for political capital.

China will be the only significant influence on calming things down, though Indian social media/extremist news pundits have an ongoing belief that China secretly has an alliance with Pakistan.

Obvs. a competent US president and state department could help here, but trump will throw a temper tantrum for them distracting from his 'moment of triumph' and probably say something racist.

So could continue to escalate, or could go as before, but india and Pakistan haven't exchanged shots since I think the Kargil war in '99, so we could see a repeat of that, or something similar but broader and involving more armoured and air assets. All until China and/or the UN get any traction in calming it down, though Modi will want a 'win' he can trumpet domestically.

PST fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 27, 2019

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Failed Imagineer posted:

Normalcy bias is a hell of a drug
Much more worried about actors that haven't been there before, or at least not so recently, is all I'm saying.

Edit: This is also true... but I still think it unlikely

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 27, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Oh good; a potential nuclear crisis in the Subcontinent is DEFINITELY what we need right about now!

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
From Cohen's opening statement:

"Mr. Trump had frequently told me and others that his son Don Jr. had the worst judgement of anyone in the world."

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Michael Cohen will testify that Trump knew Roger Stone talked with WikiLeaks about DNC email dump

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/27/politics/michael-cohen-testimony/index.html

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.
Seeing as how Cohen is supposed to be dropping some public bombs in just a few hours, seems like a good time to repost this classic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=biehbIPqV8c

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

RasperFat posted:

Is it wrong that I legitimately want our next president to do an apology tour in dozens of countries just making GBS threads all over Trump and ensuring our neighbors and allies we will never do that again?

Obama got poo poo for this even though he didn’t actually do it, so the next D president might as well actually do it and repair some international relationships.

The centrist dems would riot when we make the Jerusalem embassy switch from Isreal to Pakistan.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I'm ignorant about why this is coming up so often. We're all pretty sure this happened, but I missed the memo on the illegality/impropriety of it all.

Please note that I don't think this ISN'T a big deal or that it was lovely, I just don't get the rest of it.

cr0y posted:

Michael Cohen will testify that Trump knew Roger Stone talked with WikiLeaks about DNC email dump

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm ignorant about why this is coming up so often. We're all pretty sure this happened, but I missed the memo on the illegality/impropriety of it all.

Please note that I don't think this ISN'T a big deal or that it was lovely, I just don't get the rest of it.

Trump has made a huge deal (and even submitted in writing to Mueller) that this did NOT occur. On the record testimony to the opposite effect is damning, even if we all already knew.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm ignorant about why this is coming up so often. We're all pretty sure this happened

My least favorite cycle:

Something is a big deal and obvious but there is no proof yet so people get to brush it off as no big deal. Then later proof comes and then people get to do the whole "hehe, we knew that for ages, how is it a big deal now? seems like old news to me, heh"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lol Cohen calls Rudy "Mr. Trump's TV lawyer"

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Shifty Pony posted:

Lol Cohen calls Rudy "Mr. Trump's TV lawyer"

As if there is any reality for Trump outside what he sees on TV.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sounds like a fair description. Does Giuliani do anything other than TV appearances?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

robotsinmyhead posted:

In my opinion the one major thing that we all have been grasping for is determining what trump himself did and did not know. If trump was fully on board with stone/WL then the entire "collusion with russia" starts to come much more into focus.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

My least favorite cycle:

Something is a big deal and obvious but there is no proof yet so people get to brush it off as no big deal. Then later proof comes and then people get to do the whole "hehe, we knew that for ages, how is it a big deal now? seems like old news to me, heh"

This poo poo is infuriating and it’s one of Trump’s PR team’s go to moves.

They did it with the monstrous child separation policy, with the Trump Tower meeting, and definitely a few other things I’d prefer not to remember lest it induce even more rage.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cr0y posted:

In my opinion the one major thing that we all have been grasping for is determining what trump himself did and did not know. If trump was fully on board with stone/WL then the entire "collusion with russia" starts to come much more into focus.

When the whole thing started I was of the opinion he probably didn't personally know, but watching his behavior the last 2 years, he DEFINITELY knew

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

cr0y posted:

OK right, it's coming back to me a bit more now. So a specific unclear thing from this now is: what was the quid pro quo for the collusion - just the Trump Tower thing in Moscow or something more insidious.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

robotsinmyhead posted:

OK right, it's coming back to me a bit more now. So a specific unclear thing from this now is: what was the quid pro quo for the collusion - just the Trump Tower thing in Moscow or something more insidious.

It was for sanctions, they told you as much when they claimed "adoptions". They are doing this poo poo out in the open...

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/willripleyCNN/status/1100695837816963072

Chicken tenders and diet coke

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol if you think he has the GBP for tendies

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

robotsinmyhead posted:

Money. Putin put trump in power with the promise to bail out all his failed financial investments in exchange for being a sock puppet. I dont think it has to be more complicated than that.

Oxytocin Inhibitor
Mar 27, 2007
I couldn't care less.
Cohen Testimony, wonderful breakfast read:

http://www.towleroad.com/2019/02/michael-cohens-testimony/

Oxytocin Inhibitor fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 27, 2019

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

cr0y posted:

Money. Putin put trump in power with the promise to bail out all his failed financial investments in exchange for being a sock puppet. I dont think it has to be more complicated than that.

There's also a strong argument for Saudi Arabia being involved (also it still being about money)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/357148847136448513?s=19

This is the portrait he had Cohen pay someone to buy and reimburse with Trump foundation funds

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/357148847136448513?s=19

This is the portrait he had Cohen pay someone to buy and reimburse with Trump foundation funds

It's also pretty loving ugly

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

twice burned ice posted:

Big Smoothbrain Is Watching You

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

twice burned ice posted:

Love the George Romero classics

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

twice burned ice posted:

Eh, that's actually a good portrait. It definitely captures the spirit of the man. Dissolute, diseased, broken, looming

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

twice burned ice posted:

So that's what he looks like without all that tan-spray.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
If that opening statement is anything to go by, today is gonna be lit AF.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eh, that's actually a good portrait. It definitely captures the spirit of the man. Dissolute, diseased, broken, looming

I didn't say it was a bad portrait, just ugly, which surely any faithful portrait of Trump would be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

twice burned ice posted:

I didn't say it was a bad portrait, just ugly, which surely any faithful portrait of Trump would be

Yup, I was just surprised because all the other painted portraits I've seen of Trump attempted to make him look good. That's the first one I've seen where the artist seemed to actually try to capture the subject.