Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Machinima has deleted all their videos so please update your bookmarks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUfZZbrXVAw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
What a shame.

(Also thanks for the update and link.)

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Why contain it?

....................................it's cooool

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

I think you mean homepage.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

chaosapiant posted:

That's weird, I didn't have any of those issues. If I had to deal with all of that BS I'd probably hate it too. Any chance it wasn't installed correctly, or there were other mods installed at the same time that interfered?
I've been told it was updated at some point. Never bothered to go back and check.

If you actually go to the posts in question, can see other people confirming they had the same experience at the time.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Playing Human Revolution for the first time (after playing Deus Ex I don't know how many times) and so far my thoughts are: why the gently caress are there so many cardboard boxes

Like who told these people that "future dystopia" means every apartment has to have a bare minimum of six empty cardboard boxes just stacked in the living room

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Everyone is moving somewhere else. It’s dystopia and also Portland housing prices.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Crindee posted:

Playing Human Revolution for the first time (after playing Deus Ex I don't know how many times) and so far my thoughts are: why the gently caress are there so many cardboard boxes

Like who told these people that "future dystopia" means every apartment has to have a bare minimum of six empty cardboard boxes just stacked in the living room

If anything it would have been more noticeable if every room was just a burning barrel and a couple bottles of beer on the ground. You could get away with less back in ‘01

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Those boxes needed to contain a squeaking mouse every time you broke them to achieve the verisimilitude of Deus Ex 1.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Only several years late, but I finally got around to playing The Nameless Mod. What a fun little piece of nonsense. I tend to lose interest around Hong Kong in DX replays these day, so it was pretty good to be able to play a campaign all the way to the end.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Pakled posted:

That links to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmOCsiZgAbg a remastered version by the original creator! The uploader admits it's not 100% the same due to how lip synching/ai panic is never consistent, and that they embellished a bit, but it's good

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bug Squash posted:

Only several years late, but I finally got around to playing The Nameless Mod. What a fun little piece of nonsense. I tend to lose interest around Hong Kong in DX replays these day, so it was pretty good to be able to play a campaign all the way to the end.

When I get my new laptop I’m gonna finally play this and the malkavian mod finally.

Also I can’t believe this thread is still kicking. I’m pretty sure it’s the first one I posted in on this site. If it isn’t it’s pretty close.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Soon, this thread will be in its decennial edition.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

https://twitter.com/KazuCrash_/status/1098697547202396165

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
OMG JC AN OLLIE

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My kickflip is augmented.

Also that alien looks totally stoked to see JC thrashin' on his deck

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GMDX or Deus Ex Revision for a 2019 playthrough for someone who played the original like 20 times in the 20 years since this game came out?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i prefer gmdx

imo revision is for people who prefer dx:hr to the original dx

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Is there a DX mod that just upscale the graphics? No changes to the game otherwise?

Will the controls map to an Xbox 360 controller well?

I’ve been trying to play this game for the first for awhile and the graphics looking potato on 1080 widescreen plus not being used to kbm controls has been a deterrent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is there a DX mod that just upscale the graphics? No changes to the game otherwise?

I’ve been trying to play this game for the first for awhile and the graphics looking potato on 1080 widescreen plus not being used to kbm controls has been a deterrent.

I can’t see it mapping well to a controller, at least if you want to hack- there’s a lot of using a pointer to select things under time pressure.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

gmdx is better than vanilla imo, it includes graphics improvements and some of the modern creature comforts that were missing from the original

dunno about the controller

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

ZearothK posted:

GMDX or Deus Ex Revision for a 2019 playthrough for someone who played the original like 20 times in the 20 years since this game came out?

GMDX, no question.
Revision is just... not very good. It changes the levels so loving much and not particularly for the better. They just end up with a load of weird and pointless space in them.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

The_White_Crane posted:

GMDX, no question.
Revision is just... not very good. It changes the levels so loving much and not particularly for the better. They just end up with a load of weird and pointless space in them.

gmdx also includes changes in the levels, but they are tastefully done

for example, the hong kong mall has an extra shop to rob, there's a locked garage in hells kitchen to break into, and the unatco base has a bot hangar outside

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

How much bullshit do I have to go through to get DX+GMDX running on Win10?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
no bullshit at all, just install DX, install GMDX on top, play.
https://gmdxmod.com/download-gmdx/

If you're installing DX from steam and you want to use the overlay and stuff; you need to do one or two extra steps, it's explained on the page.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

ZearothK posted:

100% Revision. GMDX is loving terrible.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Thanks, I can handle that. I remember the bad old days of trying to get stock DX running on NT4 with 2x CPUs.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Look Sir Droids posted:

There was a PS2 port but it's the worst of both worlds, the controls are clunky while removing a lot of nuance like inventory tetris and health for individual limbs and it's still ugly but the levels are chopped into tiny chunks with longer load times and some entire areas missing. Honestly, DX's control scheme is already so archaic due to its age (the semicolon to reload? brackets to aim with the scope?? X to crouch???) that you're better off just completely redoing it to a more modern and easy to use scheme like this and then putting in the modicum of effort to familiarize yourself with it than spend way more time awkwardly crowbarring it onto a controller.

As for the graphics, it was an ugly game when it came out so you just have to roll with it. As Revision showed trying to up the fidelity and busyness of these types of wide open and sprawling maps just makes them harder to navigate and fight in.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I learned sneaking on Thief, so 'x' to crouch is my preferred crouch button to this day. :colbert:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

But if x is 'crouch', where do you map the 'move backwards' button? :confused:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

But if x is 'crouch', where do you map the 'move backwards' button? :confused:

Arrow key down, duh.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
As a left handed person the concept of not changing the default controls entirely is foreign to me, so it really doesn't matter what they have set up.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Momomo posted:

As a left handed person the concept of not changing the default controls entirely is foreign to me, so it really doesn't matter what they have set up.

Feh, you probably walk on the ceiling, sleep under the bed and genuinely choose lemon-lime over orange, you loony.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Reverse should obviously be "back" on the joystick. You also look up at the same time. This way Deus Ex can control like the flight sim it was originally planned to be.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Shift/Control are the best crouch buttons for left handers because your pinky isn't doing anything anyways.

Unless you're running Tribes ESDF or something.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I usually take any FPS games that use CTRL for crouch and switch to C. It feels much more natural and comfortable to me.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

chaosapiant posted:

I usually take any FPS games that use CTRL for crouch and switch to C. It feels much more natural and comfortable to me.

I do the opposite, just because Ctrl is what my muscle memory demands.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Tetrabor posted:

Shift/Control are the best crouch buttons for left handers because your pinky isn't doing anything anyways.

Unless you're running Tribes ESDF or something.

I usually use those for sprint and jump, while / is crouch assuming it's a toggle.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

CTRL is crouch for me, especially when it's not a toggle it is easier to press down with the palm of the hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Shift is crouch because it's logical.

WHEN YOU HAVE CAPS LOCK ON, shift crouches the letters SO YOU CAN'T SAY THIS ISN'T BACKED BY KEYBOARD SCIENCE.