Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
If you need a rival to the bikers, you could have some rich kid gang that are basically protected by the community since "they're just blowing off steam". Some if not all of the kids' parents are cultists who are more than a little nervous about the bikers noticing them, so obviously the kids do something to rile them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
poo poo, why not have it be non-nazi bikers and nazis? Non-nazi guys find the good luck charm during the War and take it as a trophy, later emerging as Dagon's Angels, nazi guys decide they're going to take it for some Evola and Skorzeny-inspired scheme, cue the bloodshed.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
The 2018 Shotgun Scenario Contest is over. The r/nightattheopera Scenario Contest has begun.

More Delta Green content by me:

SCENARIOS

CAGED HEAT - Delta Green recruits a handful of prisoners to deal with a problem on the inside

WINTER PEPPER - SV8 Assets in the 1970s GDR worry that their madness may have supernatural origins.

The Pink Men Made Him Do It - A faith healer reminds his disciples that the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away

My Big Fat Deep One Wedding - A Delta Green Agent is unwittingly betrothed to a clan of aquatic humanoids

Welcome to Earth - One night before Halloween of 1938, the sky falls on the town of Concrete, WA

The Mind Electric - Agents wake up with a new OUTLOOK on life

THREATS

The Black Bug - Dehumanize yourself and face to bug’s head

Sirens - What is it they want of you? Only your love, only your love

All posted to my DG master list

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

mellonbread posted:

SCENARIOS

My Big Fat Deep One Wedding - A Delta Green Agent is unwittingly betrothed to a clan of aquatic humanoids

Yo, don't skip this one it's such a good idea.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The prison one seems great-- run it as a oneshot to change things up, then have the surviving characters show up as NPC friendlies in a sesh a few months down the road for a callback.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

The prison one seems great-- run it as a oneshot to change things up, then have the surviving characters show up as NPC friendlies in a sesh a few months down the road for a callback.

The characters in the playtest decided they trusted the talking cat more than whoever sent the letter with the initial offer (which is how they got the mission in the first draft), and ended up joining the Coven. The scenario ended with them escaping prison with Jen, after the fireball burned a way out for them. If I could get that group together again, they would spend the next session having witch adventures and avoiding Delta Green kill teams.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Just got done with the third session with my group. First time keeper and everyone’s first time with CoC. I ran The Haunting and Edge of Darkness adapted to 1892 London. I used Corbitts journals as the hook into Edge of Darkness. Now they have a bunch of hooks such as the golden sarcophagus with strange Mu writing on it that led to the death of Marion Allen years before. I’m thinking since both of these scenarios were kind of haunted houses that have been sitting around for years I want to do something a bit more active and less investigative, something with a timer on it. Maybe someone or a group, possibly the remnants of the Chapel of Contemplation, steal the sarcophagus. Although I think they worship yogsoth while the sarcophagus transcription refers to nyarlathotep I believe. Maybe some cops are involved in the conspiracy. Any scenarios that are popular that I could integrate into this or use as inspiration would be appreciated.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Elendil004 posted:

Yo, don't skip this one it's such a good idea.

It seems like a good climax to a campaign (or an epilogue to one) where the agents have come to distrust their handler, or at least suspect that the handler is unstable.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 7, 2019

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I noticed (finally) that Delta Green jettisoned all the conspiracy theory cult groups. In fact there are VERY few cult groups left, are they going to be replaced or....

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

I noticed (finally) that Delta Green jettisoned all the conspiracy theory cult groups. In fact there are VERY few cult groups left, are they going to be replaced or....

I don't know. Frankly the Cult of Transcendence was lame and I'm glad the Fate are gone- waaay too World of Darkness, complete with canon characters having all the plot fun in the novels. Problem is that basically ALL the big antagonist groups are gone or slated for later books- the Karotechia are ashes, the Mi-go have retreated(?), PISCES has been cleansed to allow for Great Britain campaigns, and the Lloigor/Yithian stuff is going in its own book too. Tiger Transit has evolved but there's no dedicated write-up for them. The Majestic remnants and potential Outlaw-Program conflicts are good plot fodder, but hopefully The Labyrinth expands things like Countdown.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009

barkbell posted:

Just got done with the third session with my group. First time keeper and everyone’s first time with CoC. I ran The Haunting and Edge of Darkness adapted to 1892 London. I used Corbitts journals as the hook into Edge of Darkness. Now they have a bunch of hooks such as the golden sarcophagus with strange Mu writing on it that led to the death of Marion Allen years before. I’m thinking since both of these scenarios were kind of haunted houses that have been sitting around for years I want to do something a bit more active and less investigative, something with a timer on it. Maybe someone or a group, possibly the remnants of the Chapel of Contemplation, steal the sarcophagus. Although I think they worship yogsoth while the sarcophagus transcription refers to nyarlathotep I believe. Maybe some cops are involved in the conspiracy. Any scenarios that are popular that I could integrate into this or use as inspiration would be appreciated.

If you're already in victorian London, why not look at Stygian Fox' "Hudson and Brand"? It gives your characters a kind of central hub of a paranormal detective agency in London and there are two scenarios in the book to get started, as well as a history of the previous detectives and their cases.
A year ago I was in the same place you are now, except in the 1920s. I went with the "Shadows of Yog-Sothoth" campaign. Due to their activities, the investigators gained the attention of the Order of the Silver Twilight. The cult was collecting magical artifacts in order to summon Nyarlathotep, so I included some more classic one-shots like the "Crack'd and Crook'd Manse". I left the actual campaign pretty quickly, I just went with what my party did and planned from session to session, we were all newcomers and we had a lot of fun.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
that's exactly why I ran those two scenarios. they were recommended as classics and very popular. i'll check out hudson and brand.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kavak posted:

I don't know. Frankly the Cult of Transcendence was lame and I'm glad the Fate are gone- waaay too World of Darkness, complete with canon characters having all the plot fun in the novels. Problem is that basically ALL the big antagonist groups are gone or slated for later books- the Karotechia are ashes, the Mi-go have retreated(?), PISCES has been cleansed to allow for Great Britain campaigns, and the Lloigor/Yithian stuff is going in its own book too. Tiger Transit has evolved but there's no dedicated write-up for them. The Majestic remnants and potential Outlaw-Program conflicts are good plot fodder, but hopefully The Labyrinth expands things like Countdown.
Man Tiger Transit Ascended should not have happened. That whole plot thread should have been culled with the rest.

Also GRUSV8 has evolved into an antagonist group by becoming the Russian state's corrupt Mythos For Economic Gains And Inventions tool thanks to oligarchic bribery and governmental shenanigans, the new Eastern European MAJESTIC.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hostile V posted:

Also GRUSV8 has evolved into an antagonist group by becoming the Russian state's corrupt Mythos For Economic Gains And Inventions tool thanks to oligarchic bribery and governmental shenanigans, the new Eastern European MAJESTIC.

It's given about the same amount of detail as the Tcho-Tchos new setup though, scattered in the timeline section of the Handler's Guide. They're due for a full writeup in The Labyrinth, but I'm not sure I like the new version- the whole guide had this thread of "RUSSIAN MEDDLING!!1!" that hopefully will be calmed down a little in the next book.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Ken And Robin Talk About Stuff mentioned Delta Green-ish operations in Norway, so I'll continue tooting my draft for a Norwegian Delta Green-type organization: Link!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kavak posted:

It's given about the same amount of detail as the Tcho-Tchos new setup though, scattered in the timeline section of the Handler's Guide. They're due for a full writeup in The Labyrinth, but I'm not sure I like the new version- the whole guide had this thread of "RUSSIAN MEDDLING!!1!" that hopefully will be calmed down a little in the next book.
I completely agree. Due to the writing process, the new DG is a really good and accurate snapshot of the time and culture in which it was written (2015-2016ish) that has been immediately outdated by a dumber progression of time. At least they got rid of all the metaplot.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hostile V posted:

I completely agree. Due to the writing process, the new DG is a really good and accurate snapshot of the time and culture in which it was written (2015-2016ish) that has been immediately outdated by a dumber progression of time. At least they got rid of all the metaplot.

I'm not sure what you mean. The Agent's Handbook is from that time but it's light on setting (I doubt they'd have detailed ICE and the CBP as agencies now, though) Handler's Guide was early 2017, and it shows hard.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

LatwPIAT posted:

Ken And Robin Talk About Stuff mentioned Delta Green-ish operations in Norway, so I'll continue tooting my draft for a Norwegian Delta Green-type organization: Link!

Double-posting to say I love detailed foreign Delta Greens like this! I keep trying to get myself to write one for Iran, with revolutionaries finding some very interesting things in SAVAK's archives and both MAJESTIC and Delta Green's ugly collaboration with them before and after their shutdown.

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009

mellonbread posted:

The 2018 Shotgun Scenario Contest is over. The r/nightattheopera Scenario Contest has begun.

More Delta Green content by me:

SCENARIOS

CAGED HEAT - Delta Green recruits a handful of prisoners to deal with a problem on the inside

WINTER PEPPER - SV8 Assets in the 1970s GDR worry that their madness may have supernatural origins.

The Pink Men Made Him Do It - A faith healer reminds his disciples that the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away

Welcome to Earth - One night before Halloween of 1938, the sky falls on the town of Concrete, WA

The Mind Electric - Agents wake up with a new OUTLOOK on life

THREATS

The Black Bug - Dehumanize yourself and face to bug’s head

Sirens - What is it they want of you? Only your love, only your love

All posted to my DG master list

Love these! Your scenarios are both absurdly funny and horrifying at the same time. I'm going to run Florida man for my campaign group next week, they're going to love the setup.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Just finished up a playtest of Iconoclasts, which is Glancy's Delta Green ISIS scenario. Easily the best DG scenario I've played, knocking Observer Effect out of the number one spot. Awesome investigative mechanics, awesome prologue, was great even though I died horribly in the climax.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I'm thinking of starting a Bookhounds of London campaign at a local game store and would like to save as much time as possible. What published scenarios (either Call or Trail) would work for shady occult booksellers?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Lumbermouth posted:

I'm thinking of starting a Bookhounds of London campaign at a local game store and would like to save as much time as possible. What published scenarios (either Call or Trail) would work for shady occult booksellers?

The side stories from the England of Mask of Nyarlathotep could work quite well on their own for a 1920s London game. The Chelsea Serpent is all about art and anyone involved in occult bookselling could easily run into folks involved in occult art dealing. The Derbyshire Horror takes place in (you guessed it) Derbyshire, so while it's outside the city, it would work quite well for a Hound of the Baskervilles-esque change of pace.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Are there any good/better character sheets for CoC?

I'm working on my own version. Any common complaints for the base CS?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
More Delta Green stuff. Maybe you'll recognize a couple of these from someplace.

SCENARIOS

Tower of Babel - In 1932, a disturbing utopia hides an ancient secret

Sex Tape - In 198X, a new form of adult entertainment has dangerously addictive consequences

The Limo - In 1992, an Agent assumes the identity of a reclusive celebrity

Pathways Into Darkness - In 1994, a mission beneath a lost pyramid in the Yucatan seeks to avert the end of the world

THREATS AND OPPORTUNITIES

Maysoon Abd al-‘Uzzá - The very old woman

Cult Collectors - Heresy geeks, going sect to sect, accumulating creeds as greedy as any Renfields

MISC

Shooting For Survival - Tips on how to survive inevitable gunfights in Delta Green

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Two more scenarios because I like you

Migo Killed the Radio Star - In 1994, a radio station in the North Maine Woods agitates the locals and draws unwanted attention

Lucy in the Sky With ZIRCONs - A space odyssey to an alien black knight satellite, reactivated by parties unknown for sinister purposes

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth
does anyone know of a good example of what a "dungeon" would look like in coc? I'm planning out a short scenario for my group that involves the investigators getting trapped in sort of an inception-style labyrinth and then they have to figure out how to get back to the real world.

right now, my plan is to basically just trace over one of the installation maps in starcraft and have them run into some trapped npcs and one, maybe two combat encounters as they explore around. I'm still painfully new at this though, so I have no idea if that's the direction I should be going in or not

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

noether posted:

does anyone know of a good example of what a "dungeon" would look like in coc? I'm planning out a short scenario for my group that involves the investigators getting trapped in sort of an inception-style labyrinth and then they have to figure out how to get back to the real world.

The obvious example of a CoC dungeon would be the literal dungeon found beneath Joseph Curwen's house in The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, which includes everything from labyrinthine passages to rooms with monsters in them.

More generally, any complex of corridors and rooms can be a dungeon in the D&D sense, which means that any old, ancient, or alien building could be a dungeon. Insane asylum haunted by the living dead? Ghouls in the underground streets of the old Seattle Downtown? Serpent Men temple? Thoroughly confusing non-Euclidean apartment complex on the plane of Leng? The Elder Thing city in Antarctica, with corridors made at random by bored shoggoths? All potential dungeons.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Mellonbread had a "dungeon crawl" aboard a boat that I am sure is in his google list.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You could do a lot worse than a mausoleum entrance to some ghoul tunnels which eventually lead to the Dreamlands.

Then either escalate the strangeness until you get full blown Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, or just involve a handful of under-utilized DL elements.

noether
May 1, 2017

moths posted:

You could do a lot worse than a mausoleum entrance to some ghoul tunnels which eventually lead to the Dreamlands.

Then either escalate the strangeness until you get full blown Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, or just involve a handful of under-utilized DL elements.

I know for sure I'm bringing dreamlands stuff into later arcs in the campaign, but I'm torn over whether or not I should explicitly tie this incident into it or not. or like, how to actually do that if I wanted to

the plotline I'm working with right now is that the investigators are stuck at LAX on a layover, but then the flight they're all supposed to be on gets delayed, and as they head over to the new gate, they end up in atlanta airport somehow. and then it turns out there's this spider creature that's spinning a web in the concept of airports, and the investigators are trapped inside of a web made of airport parts that they have to escape in time to catch their flight.

I got a couple sidequests/npc encounters lined up for the sections in the mundane airport that'll hopefully get us used to the system (the last and only time any of us played was a one shot I made for two of them a few years back) and connect the investigators to eachother and some factions I can pull in later on. I sort of know the broad strokes for what I want the "dungeon" section to be like, but it's hard tracking down examples of what makes for good design for that sort of thing in coc since most of the hobby seems preoccupied with pulp fantasy stuff :sigh:

I'll definitely see if I can track that stuff down. I read through "my big fat deep one wedding" a couple nights ago and loved it, so I'm definitely interested in what they've done with dungeon crawls

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I had a lot of fun with a spin on Ross Payton's BESTOW, hypercubes are hella fun.

http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/bestow

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
BESTOW is a good scenario

I don't think I have a dungeon crawl set on a boat. I have one set on a space ship though

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Is converting from 7e to Trail of Cthulhu similarly straightforward to previous editions? I've been looking at Fear's Sharp Little Needles for game store modern Trail.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koV35GjMNVw

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nice to see Alex Jones going full Delta Green.

From the CSPAM thread

noether
May 1, 2017

I ran the first session of the scenario I've been working on for my group this morning!

I think everyone had a good time, but unfortunately two of the players were super late and we ran out of time before we really got to play much. like, we didn't actually get to the main hook for the scenario even. we just introduced the investigators and I threw a couple of the sidequests/social encounters at them. and like, two of the players ended up sitting out on the encounter I'd intended to use to get all the investigators acquainted, and I wasn't able to really double back and give one of them much of anything to do before we called it :doh:

I'm pretty excited to get further into the campaign though. the bit we were able to play through was pretty fun for me at least, and I'm a big fan of the characters they're playing. I just hope they can be a bit more punctual next time lol

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
SCENARIOS

Nobody Suspects a Thing - Devoted husband, loving father, secret Deep One

THREATS AND OPPORTUNITIES

Koel - The identity thief

Kassandra Getachew - Hikkomori intelligence analyst who scours pornography for mythos activity

The Samson Option - A secretive group of scholars hoards doomsday weapons in the Holy Land

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

mellonbread posted:

SCENARIOS

Nobody Suspects a Thing - Devoted husband, loving father, secret Deep One

Sweet, they made another sequel to Octodad.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Hey mythos Goons! I've just wrapped up a project that I'm super proud of and I wanted to share it. :cthulhu: The Call of Cthulhu Mystery Program Series 2 "The Terrible Secret of Lot X". :cthulhu: Our show is an edited Call of Cthulhu actual play, framed as an old time radio serial, and each series is a standalone story. I'm the show's Keeper and writer of the Series 2 adventure. This week we released the final episode and I absolutely love how Lot X has come out.

Wealthy dilettante Estelle Thorpe and her motley crew of friends and associates stumble across curious hints of the unknown. Soon they are drawn deeper and deeper into the dark secrets of the mythos.

Give it a listen if you like actual plays or audio dramas. Series 1, Behold the Mother, is closer to a raw actual play experience. We really kick the post production into high gear with Series 2. I wasn't sure if the return was going to be a one off or not, so it's kind of a kitchen sink adventure with a lot of different elements. Series 3 is recorded already, though, and here's hoping for plenty more! Check it out and let me know what you think. They're all on our site, on the podcast platform of your choice, or you can find them all on ACast's site if you don't actually bother with proper podcasting.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Your first series is amazing and it's why I started playing CoC two years ago. Thank you :) I wanted to wait until all s2 eps are published. Gonna listen as soon as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
Thanks for the kind words! I'm pretty surprised how many times I've heard it was the thing that convinced people to give CoC a try. Then again, maybe I shouldn't be. Basically everybody in the show was new to it, too.

We're doing a Q&A episode soon, so feel free to send any questions or comments to cthulhu@nerdyshow.com by April 18 if it's something you might want to show up in the stream.