Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

isndl posted:

Will Logitech do a video walk-through of the tooling vault? It sounds pretty cool, I remember seeing Lego doing a video of their vault and it was neat.

Interesting suggestion. Seems unlikely given my current understanding of how that stuff is handled, but I'll look into the feasibility with the operations and marketing teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Posting with my new MX518 and I will say it is definitely for MX518 purists. The cord does have reinforcement where it goes into the mouse which is nice because that's where my OG MX518 failed; the part of the cable where in went into the mouse wore out and broke after ~5 years of heavy use.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 26, 2019

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Using mine, as well. Now that I have a mouse with a sensor made within the last decade I can do away with per game profiles disabling mouse acceleration and just use a high DPI on the desktop so I don't have to throw my arm around to watch youtube.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I wonder if Rocket Jump Ninja will do a review of the new MX518. So far my only critique is that it isn't wireless but I'm just nitpicking and this mouse was made for purists after all. I'm thinking we'll get a Lightspeed Wireless version if the wired version sells well enough.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Got the mouse. The buttons feel lighter and just bit more spring-y than the original or otherwise. I would have preferred less deepth needed for a single click but it's a minor complaint.

Until another manufacture makes a better mouse.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Now I remember why I liked the MX518 shape so much. I can rest my ring finger on the top of the mouse just to the right of the right click button. Much more comfortable for me anyway.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 26, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
In my case, I actually gripped the mouse using that ledge using my ring finger. Not being able to do that anymore basically ruined me for any mouse that wasn't an MX518. =T

@Goo: Evidence that the MX518 may be catching more people by surprise than you'd ideally want: Packaging looked like it had been opened from the bottom, and then taped back up with an Amazon internal tracking label. Mouse seems like it had everything, I'll take it up with Amazon if anything isn't, but I'd wager that someone along the line went like, "wait, holy poo poo they're making new ones of these?!" and opened it up to give it a quick hands-on feel test.

I do agree that the clicks feel snappier than the older MX518. Even put in my earplugs to make sure I wasn't being thrown off by the audible click noise.

More first impressions as they come.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Sooon

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/blogs/..._eid=85117b316f

RIP finalmouse resale price

eames
May 9, 2009

I don’t think they could make the branding and design any more stereotypical if they wanted to but that’s probably the point. Does it have a little tray that collects Cheeto dust falling through the vent holes?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It doesn't look that bad. Its black, has their logo on the side, and rgb lighting which im sure can be turned off. I think the holes are just what you gotta do to get down to those weights.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

In my case, I actually gripped the mouse using that ledge using my ring finger. Not being able to do that anymore basically ruined me for any mouse that wasn't an MX518. =T

@Goo: Evidence that the MX518 may be catching more people by surprise than you'd ideally want: Packaging looked like it had been opened from the bottom, and then taped back up with an Amazon internal tracking label. Mouse seems like it had everything, I'll take it up with Amazon if anything isn't, but I'd wager that someone along the line went like, "wait, holy poo poo they're making new ones of these?!" and opened it up to give it a quick hands-on feel test.

I do agree that the clicks feel snappier than the older MX518. Even put in my earplugs to make sure I wasn't being thrown off by the audible click noise.

Well this mouse's shape is comfortable to different people in different ways which is why it was so popular. I might be able to play first person shooters without my hand cramping up after an hour or so now. And it looks like my MX518 box might have been opened and closed back in the same exact way but I took a close look at the mouse after unboxing it and I didn't see any dirt or fingerprints on it unless they were wearing gloves. :tinfoil:

Configuring the mouse with the Logitech software was a bit of a pain but I got it figured out. I only want two dpi settings: 800dpi and 1600dpi and I set the dpi shift button to dpi cycle because I always found dpi shift to be awkward because you have to press and hold the button down.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Should have rereleased SetPoint v1.0 to maximize nostalgia

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Brb gonna play some ut2004 and Battlefield 2 with this mouse now. :hellyeah:

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

spasticColon posted:

And it looks like my MX518 box might have been opened and closed back in the same exact way but I took a close look at the mouse after unboxing it and I didn't see any dirt or fingerprints on it unless they were wearing gloves. :tinfoil:

Probably want to be looking for some sort of dick and/or balls imprint, maybe a pube lodged in the sensor

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

spasticColon posted:

Brb gonna play some ut2004 and Battlefield 2 with this mouse now. :hellyeah:

I'm so sad ut2k4 died and arena shooters are a thing of the past.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

On second though, mouse 1 does have a better click but I'll say that I don't like what the hell they did the scroll wheel.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Needs a better cord and a view at the feet before it can start competing with finalmouse. Unless they can meet supply it will just be another always sold out enthusiast gaming mouse.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
* Note, with amusement, that the tooling they pulled out of the vaults are for the MX518v2
* Start looking through GOTY lists to try and remind myself what I was playing circa 2006-2011.
* Grow increasingly despondent when I remember that these were the days where I was either playing WoW, or two hours of DotA Allstars, every day, carrying over to Dota 2, for something like seven years solid.
* Decide against reinstalling CS:Source, go for a different Source engine game: Titanfall 2, which I reinstalled because holy balls, did playing Apex Legends just make me want to play Titanfall 2 instead. (I still don't have a single kill in that game, I blame trying to play Apex like Titanfall instead of like Apex.)
* Immediately start off with a rampage and off five opposing players. A good start.
* Start to kick out the jams, only to get myself killed repeatedly through the game reaching for a mousewheel to click that's much lower than I've become accustomed to. Not a problem, we'll rebind the DPI Down button to middle click, just like on my MX Anywhere, and that will be that.
* Weapon switching with the mouse wheel isn't a problem though, weird, but not complaining. The OG MX518's wheel has got some camber to it now, being old and decrepit as it is, so it doesn't roll smoothly through the entire wheel. This is a relief on the new MX518.
* Install G Hub. I'm going to want to change the DPI settings up a bit too, on top of remapping buttons.
* Find that you can't map fewer than three DPI settings + a sniper DPI setting.
* My personal feeling about sniper buttons aside, this is annoying. I only want two DPI settings, 2000 DPI for desktop, and 10000 DPI for games, where I turn the sensitivity way the gently caress down.
* Also, seriously, major feature regression here.
* Notice that these profiles might not be saving to on-board memory. Which is a concern, because I'm going to be uninstalling G Hub as soon as I get the settings right.
* Turn on on-board memory mode
* ....flail at a program whose settings appear to now be locked off until I turn off on-board memory?
* Re-install LGS.
* Have it steal back focus while typing up this forum post, restarting the computer and wiping everything you've written so far.
* Discover that if you have LGS and G Hub installed, LGS will tell you to gently caress off and launch G Hub instead.
* Uninstall G Hub
* Fire up LGS, thank god it didn't still continue to insist on using G Hub,
* Find that the default profile name, among other things, has been corrupted into "we can't display this text unicode boxes"
* finally getting into the interface I remember, set 2000 and 10000, (Man, I had almost forgotten that the old Avago 3080 topped out at 1600. Remember when we thought that was sufficient?) unbind the + button, rebind the - to middle-click, and the DPI default button to DPI cycle.
* Uninstall LGS.
* Back into Titanfall, maybe I should have left LGS installed to further tweak the game DPI setting.
* Yeah, I need to crank the in-game DPI up higher.

Five games later, I'm very happy with this mouse. No muss (once you sidestep G Hub) no fuss, a familiar shape that I am very happy with. By and large, like pulling on a new pair of gloves, same brand and style as the last pair. I'll be buying a carton of these when the price drops, I think. Time to use it for a weekuntil Logitech adds the new MX518 to their support site, so I can order spare mouse feet to replace the ones that I'm going to rip off this mouse, in order to crack its guts open to document what the changes. My preferred brand of MX518 mouse feet aren't around anymore, it seems.

edit: Holy poo poo, my index finger is gonna fall off, I miss the free-spinning wheel so goddamn much catching up on Slack when I wake up in the morning.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 27, 2019

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Holy poo poo how can you lower the sens enough to make 10k dpi useable?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

* Note, with amusement, that the tooling they pulled out of the vaults are for the MX518v2

Yea, it kinda sucks they went away from the 5 small feet design to the three large ones. I think it was purely to make it more difficult to take the mouse apart.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

latinotwink1997 posted:

Yea, it kinda sucks they went away from the 5 small feet design to the three large ones. I think it was purely to make it more difficult to take the mouse apart.

I prefer the big feet because the larger surface area means they have better adhesion, it sucks when one of the feet fall off. I can get replacement feet of course but it's even better when I don't have to.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

latinotwink1997 posted:

Ish, but I only bring it up because of my past escapades with ebay mice purporting to be new MX518s, documented earlier in this thread. I'll say that as long as I had used the G400/G400s, the feet were never the issue, it was always the cable contracting disconnect-reconnectitis.

Fingers McGee posted:

Holy poo poo how can you lower the sens enough to make 10k dpi useable?

You can almost lower the sensitivity in Titanfall 2 enough to make 10K unusable! Like, "dislocate your shoulder to turn 180 degrees unusable.

I should probably leave it at 10K, though. There's no guarantee that the next game I play will be able to crank the sensitivity down with a higher DPI.

Honestly, these days, the only game I am playing is FFXIV, and, as mentioned before, TF2, for as long as the resurgence in player count continues. The only other game that I play on a reoccurring basis is Warframe... a game not known for its need for precise aim. I would have liked to have used Metro Exodus for testing. I intended to get it, but the last-minute exclusivity deal with Epic screwed me out of that since I decline to preorder games, and those steambux can't exactly be liberated readily.

Maybe Doom Eternal when it comes out later this year? =P

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 2, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I wish the bottom of all mouse just a giant piece of teflon tape... Speaking of that does anymore know where I could just a big chunk?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tab8715 posted:

I wish the bottom of all mouse just a giant piece of teflon tape... Speaking of that does anymore know where I could just a big chunk?

amazon sells rolls of teflon tape and yes people have been taping big chunks over their mouse feet for years.
https://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-PTFE-Mouse-Color/dp/B003DZ16X4/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=teflon+tape+mouse&qid=1551301873&s=gateway&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-Conf...=gateway&sr=8-3

Aliexpress will have the same kind of things for cheaper but 2-6 week shipping

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190227131505&SearchText=mouse+feet+tape

make sure you sand the edges so that they are properly beveled in the correct direction otherwise the edge will drag. Cutting the face with a knife will usually do it, just dont just from the backing side or you will introduce a jagged edge on the working surface.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 27, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
1 week check-in: God, I loving miss the free-spinning wheel from my G502.

My mouse grip has changed, looks like it has gone back to how it was before. I never really noticed, though. With my G502, I exclusively fingertip grip, with the MX518, I pocket the mouse into my palm, which makes hitting the mouse wheel for clicking purposes usable. I'm still using the remapped "-" button, though, I prefer the discrete mouse click on the G502, as opposed to the spongier-feeling one on the MX518.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
Is the MX518 an online only thing, or will it show up at Microcenter soon?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I haven't even seen them in Fry's yet.

Hey Goo, is there just no PR on this strictly as an experiment or something? Like, if there's anyone that I would have thought would have a review out by now, it would be HardwareCanucks, cuz they sure love their mice. The most that I've seen is a single solitary tweet out of RocketJumpNinja.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 3, 2019

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Just got an "up to 20% off" discount code from Logitech via e-mail...except both of the things I was interested in ordering are excluded! Thanks, Logitech! :thumbsup:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Finally got the new MX518. Liking the new, slimmer cord. Not sure whether I miss the little accented drawings on the side buttons and + and - top buttons. All around happy to have a new mouse again finally.

I also noticed the safety warning information says not to take it apart because "there is a risk of radiation exposure". That's a new one that I find hard to believe.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

latinotwink1997 posted:

Finally got the new MX518. Liking the new, slimmer cord. Not sure whether I miss the little accented drawings on the side buttons and + and - top buttons. All around happy to have a new mouse again finally.

I also noticed the safety warning information says not to take it apart because "there is a risk of radiation exposure". That's a new one that I find hard to believe.

radiation is a catch all term encompassing electromagnetic radiation, radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, x-rays, and gamma radiation. Its not some uranium powered laser. Probably

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation :eng101:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
MX518 Yellowcake edition when?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Tamba posted:

Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation :eng101:

I know that. It specifies not shining lasers in yours/other peoples eyes just before that. Specifically saying I may expose myself to (laser) radiation when I can do that already seems dumb. It was merely an observation about ridiculous safety warnings.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Atomizer posted:

Just got an "up to 20% off" discount code from Logitech via e-mail...except both of the things I was interested in ordering are excluded! Thanks, Logitech! :thumbsup:

Does the coupon code 'staynoble' work on those items? It should be 10% off on the logitech site, but I have no idea how widely it applies.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

Does the coupon code 'staynoble' work on those items? It should be 10% off on the logitech site, but I have no idea how widely it applies.

Thanks anyway, but I got an "invalid promo code" error, and 10% off MSRP isn't cheaper than the current Amazon prices anyway. The list of exclusions is actually pretty much all of the new and popular hardware everyone would be interested in buying:

"Excludes Circle 2, K600 TV Keyboard, POWERED for iPhone, Base, iPad Pro Accessories, MX Vertical, MX Anywhere 2S, MX Master 2S, Harmony Elite, Harmony Companion, C920S HD Pro Webcam, Crayon, G29 & G920 Racing Wheels, Logitech G Simulation Controllers, Pro Wireless Gaming Mouse, G935, G635, G432, G332, G703, G903 and PowerPlay, Ultimate Ears Products, Jaybird Products, Astro Products, B2B Products and spare parts." (I was specifically interested in the MX Vertical and Pro Wireless, which are like $82 and $136 on Amazon respectively compared to $100 and $150 MSRP.)

I mean some of those things I don't even recognize, but the exclusions are apparently all the high-value gear that would actually be a decent deal at a discount. :sigh:

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Was going to order a G403 to replace my G303 due to the left mouse button having a double clicking issue. I don't care about wireless and bothering with batteries, etc. but I noticed a poster having the same double clicking problem with that model. Is the wireless G305 better in this regard or is it a general problem with most of these models?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

FWIW, I fixed my G703's double-clicking by disassembling the mouse and adjusting the spring - I followed https://www.instructables.com/id/Repair-mouse-with-double-click-problem/ and aside from having to spend 20 minutes figuring out how to re-seat it, it was pretty quick and painless. Still going strong 2-ish months later.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Bit of an oddball question here, but does anyone have experience with trackballs? I've been looking at maybe getting one to help with my RSI and eyeing the Kensington Expert and the Elecom Huge.

Anyone have any experience with those?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I used to use trackballs (Trackman Marble Wheel Plus) years ago. The Logitech M570 and MX Ergo are good modern trackballs, but I don't have experience with the two you mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I have the M570 and use it for my living room PC. It's perfectly fine, requires a lot more cleaning of the ball than I'm used to but that's also because it's a eat dinner and watch youtube kinda mouse anyway. Good price, I find some of the more pricey ones hard to swallow.