Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

It's also something easier with a 'hero' character gimmick too, since they record a bunch of lines and give the classes personalities.

No, no they didn't. Sick of Bangalores lines already and I've only played for an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

codo27 posted:

No, no they didn't. Sick of Bangalores lines already and I've only played for an hour

I didn't say they were good personalities. But you gotta admit you don't mix up bangalore with lifeline or caustic when you hear her callouts

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

codo27 posted:

wtf...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

interpunct posted:

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/stats-v2

Stats for Switch and mobile come with the 7.40 update tomorrow.

This is awesome: “All of your previously earned stats will be added in and displayed in-game.”

Hopefully this means they have been collecting switch stats the whole time, and not that my 30 minutes of PS4 play stats from last summer will show up

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

codo27 posted:

Maybe you're just a grumpy old grouch.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A robust ping system would be great, but I'd also be pretty satisfied with them copying PUBG's. Really anything to augment the cumbersome map markers.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Can't backfire ever idea: give the players the ability to draw figures on the map for the whole squad. So they can plan ahead Penetration tactics

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tei posted:

Can't backfire ever idea: give the players the ability to draw figures on the map for the whole squad. So they can plan ahead Penetration tactics

Let them first release the patch they so hurried to announce.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Tei posted:

I call this the rocketship flanked by 2 hills push.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
7.4 patch notes and archived copy for those behind silly web filters.

BR tl;dr:
  • Epic must be terrified of Apex. Completing 13 of the 17 free tier Valentine's Day challenges will give you a zero-cost Season 8 Battle Pass
  • The Battle Pass skin unlocks as part of the Valentine's Day challenges just require completing the challenges & getting to the needed tiers. You do NOT need to have completed all of this season's challenges as some speculated based on the announcement wording.
  • The new rifle is a slow-firing non-scoped zoomable medium bullet rifle, like a heavy assault with regards to damage
  • Grenades have been vaulted, clingers & the old crossbow unvaulted
  • New LTM: "Catch!" - no guns, just throwables
  • Bushes now absorb damage
  • The final circle moves further but takes longer to do so
  • Planes can no longer break building pieces by ramming into them, something I will miss greatly
  • You have to press a button to hop onto a zipline. Reddit is currently full of videos of people that fail at doing this. I'm dreading the change because dropping onto a zipline from above is now really, really hard.
  • Pressing & holding the Use key when looking at an item will now swap it with what you're holding instead of just picking it up into a free slot
  • Floor traps will now automatically build a floor piece if you have the mats. This means you can drop a Launchpad underneath you and avoid fall damage, if you have luck and timing.
  • The announced and implemented controller aim assist nerf has proven so amazingly unpopular that they announced on reddit that they're reverting it
  • Campfires can be walked on again
  • Gifting is back and apparently you can gift some sort of glider, but I'm not sure where that glider comes from. (e: okay, it's in the store, for free, but *only* "purchasable" as a gift)
  • In Creative, you can now scale props up and down by a factor of 3 and there are a bunch of new prefabs

The new STW rifle looks like the one from the mode select screen. I swear, it looks like something I'd expect to see in WoW.

e: Looks like the challenges will be pretty easy, here's what's unlocked right now.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 14, 2019

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeh they are nervous for their image of “the biggest game everywhere” since all big streamers are playing Apex like week past their sponsorship deals for majority of stream time, and quadruple support a creator bonus was soundly ignored. So now we have like an overkill amount of comp changes in the main modes at once, on top of the free battle pass.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Good, competition breeds innovation.

I hope Apex scares the poo poo out of them

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

They have been doing everything right until now. Except they where perhaps a bit too much player feedback driven (imho).

Now... can they look fresh again?

LTM king of the hill
LTM rocket arena
LTM push the payload (they already have the models for this!)
LTM laberintia. A mode where the map is made of destructible tiles
LTM space race. A mode where two enemy factions must build a rocket first, by picking the pieces around the map (they already have the rocket and rocket graphics for this!)

Has for the graphics, theres very littel they can do with it. Maybe a new map with a slighly different renderer that make everything looks a bit less cartonist? that may even backfire. Is hard to be the "kiddies game" because everyone end hating you. The 6-12 years old fanbase is toxic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The graphics are fine. You’d lose a ton of instant recognition by changing them

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, at most I imagine them bolting on RTX features to show off, because they have to add them to the engine anyways.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Free battlepass, wow.

One thing I'd like to see, whether or not I ever come back from Apex I dunno, but I use auto pickup and I'd like to be able to set rules on that. Like if I already have white x, I dont want to pick up another white x. Likewise if I have blue x, I really dont want the white version as well. Dont pickup shotgun if you have SMG or vice versa, also respecting rarity in this. It would just make the early stages a little less tedious, and also great for running through a tightly concentrated bunch of loot after a kill as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Love apex, but also love my Switch, which is what will keep me in Fortnite.

HOWEVER, the switch just got a Tetris battle royale game in Tetris 99, so Epic better be planning some brick dropping in a future update

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

HOWEVER, the switch just got a Tetris battle royale game in Tetris 99, so Epic better be planning some brick dropping in a future update

Most importantly, Switch is getting Super Mario Maker 2 in June, so I’m finally buying one.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
It's gonna be interesting to see if Apex tries to implement LTM modes like Fortnite. One of the benefits of Fortnite's cartoon goofiness is that they can afford to do novel silly stuff. That's harder to pull off if your "narrative" is grimdark warriors looking for glory.

We might see a divergence; hardcore players move to Apex because they like the purity of tactics and strategy, and casual player stick with Fortnite because it's more accessible.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's real hard going back to Fortnite to wrap up this season after sinking tons of time into Apex. The movement and stuff just feels so wrong. I guess this is how hardcore PUBG fans felt when they tried Fortnite out.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

minato posted:

We might see a divergence; hardcore players move to Apex because they like the purity of tactics and strategy, and casual player stick with Fortnite because it's more accessible.

I only have like 4 hours a week total to play so I don't see this as a bad thing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

minato posted:

It's gonna be interesting to see if Apex tries to implement LTM modes like Fortnite. One of the benefits of Fortnite's cartoon goofiness is that they can afford to do novel silly stuff. That's harder to pull off if your "narrative" is grimdark warriors looking for glory.

Yeah I’m feeling like in crossroads here, my only big reason to play Fortnite over PUBG was the jankiness of PUBG to an extent that I found beneath my time. I disliked quite a few things, and while some of them have grown on me, many ever won’t.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This. If Apex got crossplay and got a Switch port then I’d consider switching.

Hopefully Epic considers making the shooting mechanics not poo poo to be competitive.:v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Apex on switch with gyro aim when

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is awesome: “All of your previously earned stats will be added in and displayed in-game.”

Hopefully this means they have been collecting switch stats the whole time, and not that my 30 minutes of PS4 play stats from last summer will show up

Welp, it was the latter, not the former :smith:

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Welp, it was the latter, not the former :smith:

All of my Switch stats populated in the new career tab when the update went live.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Really? I’ll check again to see if they populated after the fact, I guess

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Driftboards seem pretty fun. 31 kph on the radar at normal speed, 40 on boost. For extra entertainment, ride one through a rift.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

McGlockenshire posted:

Driftboards seem pretty fun. 31 kph on the radar at normal speed, 40 on boost. For extra entertainment, ride one through a rift.
If only associated LTM wasn't bugged garbage. I shot at someone from point-blank range and there was no hit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

As per their Reddit AMA, Epic announced planes will be vaulted in Season 8. Haha, yess.

Also, holy poo poo the prize pool for Fortnite World Cup solos is insane. Top player in solos walks away with a cool $3 million :stare:

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
As a plane troll, I will be sad to see them go.

FYI, the dirt track near Junk counts towards the Overtime challenge about gathering chests/ammo boxes at a "race track."

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It is pretty sad to see the planes fly away... (see what I did there).

Also really sad that Epic let the hardcore moron gamers take away a lot of the fun that the planes were in the early parts of the season...

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I kinda hope Epic keeps to fortnite's niche and doesn't chase burned out players too hard. Because it'll never be able to mimic Apex's playstyle for example, and if they go too hard on "Oh we can do that too!" it'll just turn the fun silly building BR into the boring cartoony one that doesn't know what it wants to be.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1099685401458077697

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also really sad that Epic let the hardcore moron gamers take away a lot of the fun that the planes were in the early parts of the season...

Exactly my thoughts.

Maybe I will vault the game next season, eh.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Planes are going to be removed, but in their place we'll have pirate ships or jetskis or hot air balloons or something. We'll see how fractured / wet the map gets soon enough.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I've vaulted the game until Season 8 starts. I unlocked the max Ice King cosmetic and I really shouldn't be playing that much.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I thought they were going for a faster, more kinetic game instead of the usual bullshit but they just keep taking away more and more options until it's a dull, gray paste with gun stats to study and chest optimization landing goals or whatever the hardcore gamer really wants. I just want a sandbox to gently caress around in but there's a huge contingent of people who howl if something makes them have to play differently.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

InsertPotPun posted:

I thought they were going for a faster, more kinetic game instead of the usual bullshit but they just keep taking away more and more options until it's a dull, gray paste with gun stats to study and chest optimization landing goals or whatever the hardcore gamer really wants. I just want a sandbox to gently caress around in but there's a huge contingent of people who howl if something makes them have to play differently.

:yeah: see also thanos mode, that sword, and (hopefully not) the horde stuff. I'm hoping that since they brought it back for 7 they aren't gonna avoid doing it in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Is anyone left on PS4 who wouldn't mind helping me finish out the overtime challenges to get the free Battle Pass? I'm not sure if my usual crew will be around.

PSN ID is the same as my username here with an underscore instead of a space in the middle.