Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Momomo posted:

I usually use those for sprint and jump, while / is crouch assuming it's a toggle.

I've seen a few games with this control scheme, I'm curious as to which FPS you started out on?

I started with a modified Half-Life scheme (Switched Ctrl to Walk and Shift to Duck) since it and TFC required duck-jumping for a lot of traversing, and shift+spacebar was much more forgiving on the pinky after hours of play.
  • HL2 added sprint to the Shift button, CTRL for duck, and moved walk to alt.
  • Quake II is one of the original sources for "C" crouchers.
  • Skyrim did the hybrid walk/run toggle on shift and crouch(sneak) for Ctrl.
  • Deus Ex was one of the weirdest because CTRL was unbound and crouch was assigned to X.
  • Duke Nukem used Z for crouch.

I find player choices for controls to be fascinating because every style has it's weaknesses and strengths depending on the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ever since Morrowind, I always use Shift to run, because I prefer to have auto-run OFF in all my games so I can walk like the good lord intended. I like walking in all the Deus Ex games and soaking in the atmosphere.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cat Mattress posted:

Shift is crouch because it's logical.

WHEN YOU HAVE CAPS LOCK ON, shift crouches the letters SO YOU CAN'T SAY THIS ISN'T BACKED BY KEYBOARD SCIENCE.

(Checks science) he's right

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Ever since Morrowind, I always use Shift to run, because I prefer to have auto-run OFF in all my games so I can walk like the good lord intended. I like walking in all the Deus Ex games and soaking in the atmosphere.

you would enjoy or hitman 2 then, as the default is a brisk walk and the fastest you "run" is a gentle jog. It gives a cool vibe when walking away from the complicated kill condition you set up.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
thief's default was F to crouch from what I remember but it also had an absurd control scheme of WASXD, where W and S were run/walk forward and X was backwards

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
My first first-person game on the PC might have been Morrowind, yeah. That's the earliest one I can really think of that would require that sort of setup. My scheme really gets messed up when you need to run and jump to the left though, because I have to take fingers off the arrow keys. That doesn't really come up very often but I should probably look into some other scheme.

In games that necessitate a bunch of hotkeys I use the number pad for movement, jumping and crouching. I didn't get this from anything, it just became necessary to find a big clump of keys on the right side.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
For a long time I've tried to use the default layout for normal FPS games and then my custom layout for 6 degrees of freedom 3d games. I came up with the custom layout a million years ago with Descent, and didn't use it a ton since then, but now with stuff like Space Engineers/Empyrion/Starmade and all sorts of floating around space with no true up or down sort of games I've been using it a lot, and it's been getting harder to switch back and forth, so now I just use the custom layout for all FPS games. Custom layout is A + D remain strafe left and right, W + S are up (jump) + down. Space is forward and L Alt is backwards. I know I'm a freak.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
This isn't the "Horrible Freakish Insane Person Confessions Thread", good lord

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

All control schemes are beautiful my friend!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

For a long time I've tried to use the default layout for normal FPS games and then my custom layout for 6 degrees of freedom 3d games. I came up with the custom layout a million years ago with Descent, and didn't use it a ton since then, but now with stuff like Space Engineers/Empyrion/Starmade and all sorts of floating around space with no true up or down sort of games I've been using it a lot, and it's been getting harder to switch back and forth, so now I just use the custom layout for all FPS games. Custom layout is A + D remain strafe left and right, W + S are up (jump) + down. Space is forward and L Alt is backwards. I know I'm a freak.

i just use the usual fps controls for these 6DoF games, but with c to go down and space bar to go up

what does remapping get you

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i just use the usual fps controls for these 6DoF games, but with c to go down and space bar to go up

I use this control scheme exactly for games like Descent and Overload. Also, xbox 360 controller works surprisingly well for 6DOF. I wish I could find a good bind for old school Deus Ex on the PC, but the game uses so drat many keys i'm afraid i'll miss something.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

People admit to modifying Deus Ex in this very thread.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Tetrabor posted:

I find player choices for controls to be fascinating because every style has it's weaknesses and strengths depending on the game.

Here's a weird one for you:

https://liquipedia.net/quake/Toxjq

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Peculiar enough, this isn't as rogue as it looks. Older console FPS shooters like OG Halo have a 'Legacy' mapping that do a similar thing: one stick controls forward/backward+turning, the other controls up/down+strafing. Unlike modern gaming where one stick controls looking and the other for forward/back+strafe.

His scheme lets you rest your fingers comfortably on essential keys, but it's just that legacy disconnect between strafe and forward/back.

chaosapiant posted:

I wish I could find a good bind for old school Deus Ex on the PC, but the game uses so drat many keys i'm afraid i'll miss something.

This is something I struggle with every time I come back to play Deus Ex, especially R-Mb being the +use button instead of the scope/laser button. Years of GoldSRC/Source games have forced me to always bind my +use to E or T.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Up/down, forward/reverse, left, and right each have their own dedicated finger (or thumb for forward/reverse), so it's easy to be strafing left, up, and moving forward all at once, and I can change each one independently, while still having normal access to shift, ctrl, or the number keys. It's not ideal for normal FPS shooters but I do enough 6DoF stuff now that switching between the two was more trouble than using this not ideal setup, especially in something like Space Engineers or Empyrion where you switch between walking around and piloting ships all the time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Their vision is augmented https://www.technologyreview.com/th..._source=twitter

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
You rats may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain...

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
For Mankind Divided, is any of the DLC “supposed” to be played before the main game?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

For Mankind Divided, is any of the DLC “supposed” to be played before the main game?
A Criminal Past takes place before the main game but there's really no reason to play it first. The other DLC is just stuff that really should be in the main game but isn't.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Casimir Radon posted:

A Criminal Past takes place before the main game but there's really no reason to play it first. The other DLC is just stuff that really should be in the main game but isn't.

Cool. I’ll just do it all after.

Game looks pretty good on my 4 yr old not top tier when built PC.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Ugh, Mankind Divided is super chatty. Just let me punch people in the face. The opening mission was a decent tutorial but now I gotta fetch quest around Prague, cool.

Is there any way to stop the helicopter on the tutorial mission, or is it scripted to get away?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Ugh, Mankind Divided is super chatty. Just let me punch people in the face. The opening mission was a decent tutorial but now I gotta fetch quest around Prague, cool.

Is there any way to stop the helicopter on the tutorial mission, or is it scripted to get away?

You can get up next to it and pull the battery. it will end the mission and Singh will survive.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Casimir Radon posted:

You can get up next to it and pull the battery. it will end the mission and Singh will survive.

poo poo. I ran up next to it, but didn't get an option to do anything. Maybe I ran on the wrong side of it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

poo poo. I ran up next to it, but didn't get an option to do anything. Maybe I ran on the wrong side of it.
Forward end if I remember correctly.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Look Sir Droids posted:

Prague is really frustrating because it's a pretty great hub and there are dozens of little rooms and buildings for you to explore and find all sorts of weird tableaux set up, but if you methodically explore everything as soon as its available then you'll basically burn through all the content and then the rest of the game is just you running from quest marker to quest marker. Which is compounded by the fact that there are a few story points that cause the state of the city to change and lock you out of sidequests, so you can either do everything immediately and have a lot of boredom or do things organically on your way between story missions and possible miss out on some things.

I feel like people focus too much on the DLC and the multiplayer/app stuff because even if that wasn't the case it's just not as good a game as Mankind Divided. I feel like making a sequel with Jensen in the name of marketing/pushing an Epic Trilogy instead of just telling a new story in that world was the kind of decision that was always going to drag the writing down and even if it wasn't designed to be the middle point of a trilogy which ends with a setup for the actual finale they waste like the first third of the game explaining why Jensen is still alive and introducing all these new characters and organizations in a way that it more chatty and sweaty than the first game.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Yeah I’m just going to do this ID card sidequest so I can get past the checkpoint to the book store sidequest that first showed up, and then bounce. I was going to hack every terminal in my apartment building but I figure I’ll be back here many times.

HR already feels like a much slicker game. The UI is so busy in MD.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

MD is frustrating because as you mention Prague is an awesome hub and there is a lot of good stuff in the game but so much of it is buried behind weird or frustrating decisions. Game really needed a second hub imo, even if that meant cutting a bit from Prague; and I agree that focusing in Jensen made the game weaker for the reasons you stated. Would be so much easier and so much more acceptable to start in media res without backstory if it had been a new character, but instead they had to clumsily reference things that happened in the tie-in book that I haven't read and ahhh whatever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I thought the in media res start was pretty good (especially since taking advantage of the familiarity of returning players and letting you play as a relatively fully-powered Adam let you get a feel for all your augs before having to actually devote any points to them for real and test out tactics you might not have used in the first game) but it was just everything that followed being very slow and talky and having a lot of downtime was bad. Especially since they didn't seem to have faith that you would be able to use basic context clues and info in the environment to figure out what was going on and who everyone was (or that anyone who didn't but wanted to would use the codex as needed) so they just have these big dumps explaining a bunch of Proper Nouns.

Also, if nothing else I did enjoy the way they updated the cover system so you had the ability to focus on a far-off piece of cover and have Jensen automatically dash to it in the fastest and most direct way with the camera staying in third person so you could be aware of your surroundings the entire time. It removed some of the fiddliness of the context-sensitive first-person sticking to cover and let you play more tactically.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I’m having trouble with getting the cover system to work right. I end up vaulting over barriers right in to dudes faces instead of moving laterally.

Also good god I just got to the Aug reset guy and it took forever figuring out how to deactivate an aug. These menus are garbo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

First and last missions feel like you're part of a larger operation with some real tension. That was something I really enjoyed about MD.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I want a real Deus Ex prequel where you play as Gunther Hermann. You have a button for the SKULGUN but it's locked behind DLC.

Also there is a minigame where you load cans of orange soda into every single slot.

E: You learn that Paul has been running a mind-op on Hermann the whole time and have to replace lemon lime with orange.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So it looks like there is a new Vampire the Masquerade game coming next year.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Yes. There's even a thread about it! (too lazy to link)

They haven't revealed much but it sounds Dishonored-y. So it will be some flavor of immersive sim.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

goatsestretchgoals posted:

E: You learn that Paul has been running a mind-op on Hermann the whole time and have to replace lemon lime with orange.

Wasn't there in-game text about vending machines like that in Invisible War?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Former Human posted:

Wasn't there in-game text about vending machines like that in Invisible War?

Specifically it was confirming Gunther's belief that the janitorial staff were, on purpose, putting Lemon-Lime soda in the Orange spot just to gently caress with him.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Randomly thought about this today. Figured I'd bump the thread to share it with future generations so it isn't forgotten.

https://www.it-he.org/deus.php

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Suuuuunglasses at night, Deus Ex delight!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
OMM’s playthrough is also great.

quote:

The first thing you'll see is a soldier sitting at a desk. Introduce yourself. He'll tell you that you're a robot. But he's crazy. Or is he? Don't let this information rattle you, because your goal in this section of the game is clear: Show everyone in the base your flag. You'll find a flag in the lobby. Pick it up and tell the guard something like "oh, so that's where I left my flag." Nine times out of ten, he'll buy that story, and you can march right into HQ carrying your new flag.

It's your first day on the job, and it's imperative that you show everyone in the office that even though you may or not be a robot, you're 100% regular guy, a real Joe Dystopian Future Three-Pack.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Just started Mankind Divided for the first time and I am dying laughing at paid DLC for Praxis and starting credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

El_Elegante posted:

Just started Mankind Divided for the first time and I am dying laughing at paid DLC for Praxis and starting credits.

I laughed at the beginning of MD because Jenson must get so annoyed every time his augs reset because he literally can't do anything that he got used to. It happens like every game and DLC too.

If I had grown accustomed to jumping 10 feet straight into the air and poo poo I'd be pretty annoyed too.