Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If Paradox says Korea rightfully belongs to Japan, who are we to argue? Ya'll probably learned most of your geography and history staring at their video games anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Xerophyte posted:

Would you say you ... vandalized it?
I migrated so many people there that culturally it's Vandalic now, a tiny Germanic blip in a sea of Italic settlements.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

If Paradox says Korea rightfully belongs to Japan, who are we to argue? Ya'll probably learned most of your geography and history staring at their video games anyways.

:dogout:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

You absolute Baka, it's the other way around, Japan belongs to Corea

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

:goofy:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

I just want to know when the big AI revamp is coming. That's bound to be free; despite being the biggest value add in years (ever?) I'm sure they wouldn't be willing to leave the current state out there.
For which game :v:

I know you mean EU4 but we all know each of the games could use it

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

Grandma, get off the internet. And stop referring to Korea and Taiwan as The Colonies.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I know being bad at pronouncing names is kind of Jake's thing but how the hell is "Armorica" difficult?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Magissima posted:

I know being bad at pronouncing names is kind of Jake's thing but how the hell is "Armorica" difficult?

betrayed by his desire to roll all r's

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

So is there a thread for this PS4 version of Stellaris? Anyone heard much about it? I haven't had a gaming PC in years and finally have a chance to get in on the fun.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a ps4 version of Stellaris?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah but it kind of suffers from being very behind.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
How does it even work on a practical level? Did they make a VR version as well?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I've seen a bit of the Xbox version and it seems like they've put a fair bit of effort into creating a UI that works for it. It has a few things that aren't quite great but they work well enough to not be a big issue.

Its running 1.7? though, so if you like old Stellaris go wild. But its not for people with a PC, which should be obvious but needs to be said.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Westminster System posted:

I've seen a bit of the Xbox version and it seems like they've put a fair bit of effort into creating a UI that works for it. It has a few things that aren't quite great but they work well enough to not be a big issue.

Its running 1.7? though, so if you like old Stellaris go wild. But its not for people with a PC, which should be obvious but needs to be said.

worth mentioning that if you liked pre-2.0 stellaris and own it on steam, you can always roll back to that (or any other old) version

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Quill18 is doing a tutorial series on it on the tube.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wait, the console version is running on an outdated version? The Megacorp expansion/free patch isn't included?

What the gently caress. C'mon.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Wait, the console version is running on an outdated version? The Megacorp expansion/free patch isn't included?

What the gently caress. C'mon.

From what I understand, the cert process by Sony is stupidly long, and it was either "go live with 1.7 for the console version and bring it up-to-date later" or "push back the Stellaris console release." So I mean it's partially justified, I guess, but they could have just... pushed back the release. It's not like anyone was chomping at the bit for the console release to come, and I think it came as a surprise to most people.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Realistically, it's "go live now with an outdated version" and "go live later with a version that is now outdated".

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Drone posted:

but they could have just... pushed back the release.

And then there's next patch and we need to restart again... and when that's done there's the next patch...

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I think I'm just about ready to get another EU4 expansion and sink another couple hours into it. I have Cradle of Civ, Rights of Man, Cossacks, Common Sense and Art of War. I am not very good at this game and like bouncing around the med and Baltic and hate blobbing and anything that requires me to pay attention to stuff going on on the other side of the globe from where I started out. I should just get Mare Nostrum, right? Or will getting one of the Americas ones let me do something fun around the Caribbean? The government stuff in Dharma looks fun as described but it has disastrous reviews for some reason.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Almost always Paradox DLCs that get negative reviews do so because people are mad at changes resulting from the concurrent patch or mad at Paradox's pricing scheme. In this case Dharma was released with changes to the territory system where you could no longer convert non state provinces and faced increasing Corruption for being big. Dharma by itself is fine if you want to play in that region of the world, which you should definitely try if you're tired of Europe.

e: Looking at the reviews people were also upset with the Trade Company mechanics, which were a bit busted at the time of launch. I can't remember how Paradox fixed this stuff because I've played little EU4 lately.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Tributaries were a giant problem too at the time. It was okay for europe itself, and it was okay for the places that SHOULD be tributaries, but it was a giant mess for Indian and even africa.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Really feeling the bern rn :)

Island-hopping around SE Asia could also work for me so Dharma seems like a candidate then.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Drone posted:

It's not like anyone was chomping at the bit for the console release to come, and I think it came as a surprise to most people.
The shareholders most definitely were. If you think Paradox won’t become poo poo in the next five to ten years from having gone public.... I have news for you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mantis42 posted:

There’s enough morons I know who genuinely believe “i play paradox games therefore i know history and am an expert on inheritance law in 9th century france and also the military of16th century milan and also on the feasibility of Sea Lion” that I’d believe this is real

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Wait this isn't the hoi4 thread. Kill the share holders Johan, they will only ruin you

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Groogy posted:

And then there's next patch and we need to restart again... and when that's done there's the next patch...

That’s a solid argument in general, but in this specific case the pre and post Megacorp gameplay loops are very different, and it seems like a bad idea to get a whole group of new player trained on the former if the plan is to completely change it in the next update. It seems unlikely to me that we’re going to see that radical a change again any time soon.

But if it couldn’t be worked it couldn’t be worked, so.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mantis42 posted:

Almost always Paradox DLCs that get negative reviews do so because people are mad at changes resulting from the concurrent patch or mad at Paradox's pricing scheme. In this case Dharma was released with changes to the territory system where you could no longer convert non state provinces and faced increasing Corruption for being big. Dharma by itself is fine if you want to play in that region of the world, which you should definitely try if you're tired of Europe.

e: Looking at the reviews people were also upset with the Trade Company mechanics, which were a bit busted at the time of launch. I can't remember how Paradox fixed this stuff because I've played little EU4 lately.

They didn't fix TCs, they're still ultra broken (in the "massively too good" sense not the "doesn't work like they're supposed to" sense)

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

They didn't fix TCs, they're still ultra broken (in the "massively too good" sense not the "doesn't work like they're supposed to" sense)

I had the African coast as a TC and I think I was making like 500 ducats in profit a month by the 1600s, even with mercenary spam and forgetting to disband units. poo poo was insane and beautiful, but it also ruined playing any power that can't exploit that. Let me move some of that vast African wealth back to Asia without needing me to conquer Holland or something like that.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah the fact that all trade is inexorably hardcoded to flow towards Europe can be pretty infuriating if I'm trying to play, like, a colonizing China who's the center of the world and keeps popping institutions while Europe is a nowhere backwater. I know it's Europa Universalis etc. etc. etc. but it's still annoying.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Europe is the center of the world, full state communism is the best economic system and Stalin was right. These are all historical lessons we can learn from Paradox games.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Being forced to trade through Europe was one of the reasons that colonies revolted to go independent. Seems like a hamhanded way of half-implementing a historical system.

HerraS posted:

Europe is the center of the world, full state communism is the best economic system and Stalin was right. These are all historical lessons we can learn from Paradox games.

Don't forget CK2 teaching you all about how royalty are scum.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Is trade the only major system left in EU4 that hasn't been overhauled since 1.0? Iirc it was one of the most prominent changes from EU3 and I still think it's a very good design overall, but the lack of dynamism kind of sucks. If you're in the wrong trade node you just can't make money, which isn't necessarily ahistorical but also isn't fun.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Major parts of the trade system been redone before, the nodes implementation though have not if that is specifically what you are looking for

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Magissima posted:

Is trade the only major system left in EU4 that hasn't been overhauled since 1.0? Iirc it was one of the most prominent changes from EU3 and I still think it's a very good design overall, but the lack of dynamism kind of sucks. If you're in the wrong trade node you just can't make money, which isn't necessarily ahistorical but also isn't fun.

They got rid of supply and demand pricing system for goods, back in the old days you could have some wares worth way more than gold, because randomness of the produced goods in Americas decided there are only 3 provinces on the planet making it and every province in Europe wants it.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Dynamic trade flow would be one of my biggest wishes but it seems there's just no way to implement it in EU4?

Playing as Milan it's kinda weird that I control two end nodes but can't make one flow into the other. Then of course you're hosed playing in Asia unless you go get control of the cape. If you colonize the Americas as an Asian nation you're a bit hosed too.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

SlothfulCobra posted:

Don't forget CK2 teaching you all about how royalty are scum.

Royalty praying to Satan to regrow their chopped-off dicks is historically accurate and nothing you say can change my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Magissima posted:

It's still there same const system of EU1, but with more fluff. It has not really been touched at all in 4.