Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Darkness at 12:00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Reading Bolano's The Third Reich. It's about a guy who spends his summer vacation in Spain playing war games in his hotel room against a guy who is horribly mutilated by burns and lives under a stack of pedal boats on the beach.

Took a bit to get good but now its real good

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I'd read an entire novel only about Bloch. and the protag's horny uncle for that matter

I love Swann's Way

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

can i request a novel about hemingways horny uncle cause i wanna do that

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you
Just read Death in Venice and uhh... :stare:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Did you notice how I forget which greek god is personally wreaking vengence on the protagonist?

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you
Dionysus? But I was too busy thinking about how he wanted to gently caress a 14 year old

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Fun fact: the boy was based on a real person Mann saw in Venice, though he didn't stalk him. He found out about it later, but he was a very cultured man and took it in a stride.

quote:

I am that boy! Yes, even then in Venice I was called Adzio or sometimes Władzio… But in the story I am named Tadzio… this is how the Master understood it… In the story I found everything described exactly, even my clothes, my behavior – good or bad – and the rough jokes I played on the sands with my friend.

I was considered to be a very beautiful child and women admired and kissed me when I walked along the promenade. Some of them sketched and painted me. But in my memories all that seemed insignificant to me. I had those childlike negligent manners shown by pampered early matured children now and again. In Death in Venice this plot is much better narrated than I myself could ever do. The writer must have been highly impressed by my unconventional clothes and he described them without missing a detail: a striped linen suit and a red bow-tie as well as my favorite blue jacket with gold buttons.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I reread Suskind's Parfum. It's a real cool book, I think think it's also made me more attentive to smell in daily life. Neat.
The protagonist is a weird pervert loser like all good German books which is excellente.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Perfume is the only book I could think of where smell plays a central role in describing the environment. Even the most brilliant writing rarely paints a picture of scent, at least of what I've read

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Fun fact: the boy was based on a real person Mann saw in Venice, though he didn't stalk him. He found out about it later, but he was a very cultured man and took it in a stride.

That is not fun fact

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

started The Aspern Papers and the narrator has immediately revealed himself as a weirdo obsessed with some dead poet. excellent.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Golden Gate Bride posted:

That is not fun fact

man if you're bothered that a guy wrote a book about being infatuated with a 14 year old boy maybe European literature isn't for you

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you
I think you're supposed to be bothered by it?? What a weird thing to say

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Golden Gate Bride posted:

What a weird thing to say

welcome

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

The Belgian posted:

The protagonist is a weird pervert loser like all good [...] books which is excellente.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Last call for March BotM suggestions!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I think I already suggested it in another thread, but The Autumn of the Patriarch.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead imo

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The Violent Bear It Away

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm coming around more to, to put it in a wholly generalised and inaccurate way, the idea of literature as a rorshach test. Reading through books, sometimes books considered challenging, not looking to get precise meaning from every sentence. Allowing my mind to take ideas from what's written, even if they're nowhere near what would be an accepted meaning, and running with their effect. I think it's how I read as a child, and how I learned. I'd read books and come across ideas I didn't know about, or even just words I didn't understand and fill it all in in my own way.

After seeing people talk about author's writing with complaints like, "This is unclear," and "I'm not sure I know what you were going for here," I'm accepting, and trying to put into terms, how really loving annoying that is. In a way it ties into the ever-present death of the author, but really it's more about readers who want everything made explicit and how that's shaping literature. Sure, there's a demand for the author's intent to be wholly carried through, but it's a failing on the reader's part to demand that their reading of the work is one that immediately and fully grasps it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mrenda posted:

I'm coming around more to, to put it in a wholly generalised and inaccurate way, the idea of literature as a rorshach test. Reading through books, sometimes books considered challenging, not looking to get precise meaning from every sentence. Allowing my mind to take ideas from what's written, even if they're nowhere near what would be an accepted meaning, and running with their effect. I think it's how I read as a child, and how I learned. I'd read books and come across ideas I didn't know about, or even just words I didn't understand and fill it all in in my own way.

After seeing people talk about author's writing with complaints like, "This is unclear," and "I'm not sure I know what you were going for here," I'm accepting, and trying to put into terms, how really loving annoying that is. In a way it ties into the ever-present death of the author, but really it's more about readers who want everything made explicit and how that's shaping literature. Sure, there's a demand for the author's intent to be wholly carried through, but it's a failing on the reader's part to demand that their reading of the work is one that immediately and fully grasps it.

Read The Recognitions

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Heath posted:

Read The Recognitions

Always great advice.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
Book of the month should be Blow Job by Stewart Home

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Anyone read 'The Great Passage' by Shion Miura and translated by Juliet Carpenter? Just wanted to know if A. It was any good and B. If it counted as Literature.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
apropos of nothing: the rings of saturn absolutely, as the kids say, slaps

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

apropos of nothing: the rings of saturn absolutely, as the kids say, slaps

yep

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

My preferred Sebalds, in order:

1. The Rings of Saturn
2. The Emigrants
3. Austerlitz
4. Vertigo
5. On the Natural History of Destruction
6. A Place in the Country

If there's more, I haven't read them. I haven't felt such a mania for a single author since I read At Swim-Two-Birds.

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Finished Rings of Saturn and holy hell was it bleak.

As I felt the last pages thinning out I wondered how he was going to wrap up. Finally I had a single leaf left, and he was still going on about the history of silk production in Europe, and I thought it was going to be some horrible non-ending, but suddenly there it was. In the space of two or three paragraphs he tied everything off about as neatly and beautifully as you could ask. Great book.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
Just finished White is for Witching and while it certainly is not a bad book, there are some aspects that made it less enjoyable for me. It starts off extremely quirky in a way that reminded me of The God of Small Things, which annoyed me there as well. Since the latter is well regarded around here that is probably more on me but this always feels a bit like an exercise in creative writing, where your "quirk up" your story to me. Because the quirkiness peters out after a while (interestingly before the second part, where the change in tone would have made sense narratively) I feel at least a bit vindicated in thinking this.
Also, the decision to give the racist haunted house an active part is questionable. A bit of subtlety would have gone a long way. Not to speak of the reason why the racist haunted house is so racist, which I had to ignore to not ruin the book for me.

true.spoon fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 27, 2019

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
have never heard of this novel before but am extremely intrigued by the concept of a racist haunted house

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Immersing myself in the warm piss of Pantagruel

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

ganbatte

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I never post in general but just chiming in to say that Sebald is very good.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

yeah once i finish rings i think i'm gonna pick up the emigrants

unless we end up doing V for BotM in which case i'll do that next

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Rabelais owns, as does my penguin classics MA Screech translation that has massive text, like it's for children

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Today I read the National Library/Hamlet Shakespeare theory bit of Ulysses. And by read I mean the words were perceived and acknowledged by a certain part of my brain. I think the movement of the characters was apparent, one level of understanding who these people were and what they stood for, yet the detail of what they were saying flew right over my head. Strangely, it actually reminds me of seeing a Shakespeare play without ever reading the text. The movement on stage, the occasional line will all add up to let you know the play, but if you're trying to follow and make sense of every sentence you'll (or at least I will) be lost and passed by very quickly.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
The Stendhal part of Vertigo owns, and the Venetian sojourn is nice, and the ending is very moving.

Read it!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

J_RBG posted:

Rabelais owns, as does my penguin classics MA Screech translation that has massive text, like it's for children

Illustrated Rabelais, for kids!

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I guess no one has read it then.

Can I ask then, can anyone recommend any uplifting literature? After "Something Happened" I don't have it in me to go back to bleak Russian stuff just yet.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bilirubin posted:

Illustrated Rabelais, for kids!

I have an edition of Decamerone illustrated by an artist who did children's comics. The result looks like if some Golden Age Disney animator was really into Modernist art and decided that he should illustrate a hundred stories with titties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

OscarDiggs posted:

Can I ask then, can anyone recommend any uplifting literature? After "Something Happened" I don't have it in me to go back to bleak Russian stuff just yet.

Virgil's Eclogues