Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Boxturret posted:

TEXT EDITING IS NOT A CRIME

Oh yeah? What about Vim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Boxturret posted:

whoa what just happened here

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Butt my life into pieces
This is my hash resort

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Boxturret posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et9B7aTWum4

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
they misspelled gox

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boxturret posted:

they misspelled gox

if there was more than one gox, would they be goxes or goxen

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powershift posted:

if there was more than one gox, would they be goxes or goxen

gollie gollie goxen free

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Mt. Goatse

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

BMan posted:

Mt. Goatse

:wrong:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
magic the gathering online exchangen

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

マジック・ザ・ギャザリングオンライン交換

Majikku za gyazaringuonrain kōkan

...!
Oct 5, 2003

SECURITY VULNERABILITY Coinomi wallet sends your plain text seed phrase to Googles remote spellchecker API when you enter it! (twitter.com)
submitted 23 hours ago by dyslexiccoder

[–]dyslexiccoder[S] 67 points 22 hours ago*

For more info and for those that don't want to click through to twitter:

Demo video: https://streamable.com/keq40

When you enter your seed phrase to recover a new wallet, the Coinomi app makes a request to Google's spellcheck api to spellcheck the seed phrase. Yup, I know. The plain text seed phrase is accessible to Google (although transport uses SSL so it's encrypted over the wire). However this does mean that if you're using Coinomi your seed phrase is likely sitting in plain text logfiles at Google, accessible to a large number of employees.

I'd recommend if you use Coinomi wallet to immediately move all of your funds to a different wallet. I'd suggest something open source and well known or ideally a hardware wallet.

Full credit goes to https://twitter.com/warith2020 for finding the vuln. He's also claimed he's lost about $70k of funds from his wallet and Coinomi are avoiding the question of whether they'll reimburse him. This is why he's now decided to go public.

Read more from him here: https://www.avoid-coinomi.com/

FantasticEchidna4 15 points 19 hours ago*

they had a similar problem with the mobile wallet some time ago. they didn't encrypt communication to their servers.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I love Coinomi pachinko machines

...!
Oct 5, 2003

EorayMel posted:

I love Coinomi pachinko machines

the pachinko industry in japan is about to be annihilated, so coinomi is already preparing to go back into video games

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

...! posted:

the pachinko industry in japan is about to be annihilated, so coinomi is already preparing to go back into video games

bet they regret running kojima off right about now.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

was sop a blockchain? discuss

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

was sop a blockchain? discuss

dunno and no

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

dunno and no

but you did

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Boxturret posted:

but you did

...!
Oct 5, 2003

why are bitcoiners all "look what lightning network/bitcoin can do" without considering why the gently caress anyone would ever do those things? they're "solving" problems that don't actually exist (i put "solving" in quotes because until lightning is fully functional it doesn't even solve the nonexistent problems that people purport it does)

With LN you can transfer instantaneously amounts smaller than a millionth of a cent ($0.00000001) in Bitcoin (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 2 days ago * by simplelifestyle

How's that for mini-tiny-micro payments!

The possibilities are endless! For example, you can pay for reading an individual page or even paragraph (or even a lane!) of a book, article, research, document, etc. with the money (BTC) going directly, instantly and wholly to the author, without any intermediaries taking a cut and making the process slow, inefficient and expensive as we do now.

Edit: Why the instant downvotes? At least comment why you don't like this.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

...! posted:

why are bitcoiners

indeed :thunk:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

...! posted:

The possibilities are endless! For example, you can pay for reading an individual page or even paragraph (or even a lane!) of a book, article, research, document, etc. with the money (BTC) going directly, instantly and wholly to the author, without any intermediaries taking a cut and making the process slow, inefficient and expensive as we do now.

I remember when this was called "Flattr".

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
I like how he stops at line. wouldn't it be even more magical to pay by the word? or the letter? also, since bitcoin is antithetical to recurring or pull payments, wouldn't that mean you'd be stopping to transact for every increment you wanted to read? or does the lightning network's effective architecture of lump prepayment mean he's imagining you put 2000 paragraphs on an account up front, and then "instantly" deduct from that balance as you read?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

remember that dumbass project that was like "you want a program written so we send it into our system made of subcontractors subcontracting to subcontractors until it winds up all the way at subcontractors whose contracts are literally "put this specific byte into the file" and then the program magically builds itself up from that"

that's the future bitcoiners want. that, but for everything.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

KnifeWrench posted:

I like how he stops at line. wouldn't it be even more magical to pay by the word? or the letter? also, since bitcoin is antithetical to recurring or pull payments, wouldn't that mean you'd be stopping to transact for every increment you wanted to read? or does the lightning network's effective architecture of lump prepayment mean he's imagining you put 2000 paragraphs on an account up front, and then "instantly" deduct from that balance as you read?

pay by letter would be awesome because the savvy reader would just skip 50% of the letters and still be able to figure out what was being said, so there would be an arms race where writers optimize their style for hard to guess words

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KnifeWrench posted:

Here's an article from 1998 doing all the same gushing over dumb ways to micropay for content that biycoiners still do 21 years later

http://web.archive.org/web/20120504051526/http://www.useit.com/alertbox/980125.html

Great bits like

" Some analysts say that users don't want to be "nickeled and dimed" while they are online. In fact, the problem is being dimed; not being nickeled. Unfortunately, some sites that currently charge for content do so at a level of a dollar or more per page. Such pricing is obviously unpleasant and will only be acceptable for highly value-added content that users can predict in advance that they will benefit significantly from buying. Regular articles (like this column) cannot be that expensive.

Long-distance telephone calls and electricity are both metered services. Many people do feel a tension while they are on the phone, at least while making an international or other expensive call. At the same time, very few people worry about powering a lightbulb, even though doing so costs a few cents per hour. Electricity charges mainly serve to make people turn off the lights when they go to bed. The difference is clearly in the level of pricing:

less than a cent per minute and people use as much as they need (electricity)
10 cents per minute, and people ration their usage a little (long distance phone calls)
40 cents per minute, and people ration their usage a lot (international calls)

On the Web, users should not worry about a cent per page. If a page is not worth a cent, then you should not download it in the first place. Even as the Web grows in importance in the future, most people will probably access less than 100 non-free pages per day (in June 1998, heavy users visited an average of 46 pages per day). Most users will have $10-$30 in monthly service charges for Web content. "

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

Some analysts say that users don't want to be "nickeled and dimed" while they are online. In fact, the problem is being dimed; not being nickeled.

people hate dimes but are ambivalent towards nickels

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Bitcoined and satoshied

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

it ends up that people will buy all-access plans rather than piecemeal pricing even if the latter is overall cheaper. this was discovered like 20 years ago and that's why things like spotify and the various subscription services can exist; no one's buying songs one track at a time or newspaper articles one at a time.

but buttcoin will enable this future literally no one wants because...

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
because everyone is secretly libertarian they just don't know it yet!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

just do what hit bitcoin news site "the block*" does and charge $125 a month or $1000 for a year

*a name so generic its the third result if you specifically search for it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
imagine if we still had to pay per minute for phone calls lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

how would it even work? would it be like

I don't usually use forums or Reddit, I usually just post comments on Ancap blogs like Molyneux or Cantwell's blog, but they didn't seem appropriate places to post my story. Click here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account)Click here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlock

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boxturret posted:

I don't usually use forums or Reddit, I usually just post comments on Ancap blogs like Molyneux or Cantwell's blog, but they didn't seem appropriate places to post my story. Click here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account)Click here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlockClick here to purchase the next sentence. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous sentence to unlock

0.00000000:five:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I'm gonna sell images pixels at a time for satoshis and see how much bitscoiner pay to get goatsed

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Boxturret posted:

Yes

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

that sounds Click here to purchase the next word. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account)Click here to purchase the next word. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous word to unlock

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

that sounds Click here to purchase the next word. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account)Click here to purchase the next word. (a $.00000001 charge will be automatically applied to your account) NOTE: must purchase previous word to unlock

then every single sentence would be with clickbaity bullshit

you'll never believe what I had for lunch today: CLICK TO PURCHASE! 95% of people get this wrong but CLICK TO PURCHASE is CLICK TO PURCHASE at work these days. i've got 26 good reasons doctors don't want you to CLICK TO PURCHASE, because on my commute home i passed CLICK TO PURCHASE things you don't know are secretly killing you

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

:same: but with (Audience laughter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

fishmech posted:

biycoiners

bitcoin it yourself coiners