Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

Feelin very called out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A smarter game would have an aside about how if they are lying it's probably not a great idea to antagonize them since it'd be you against an entire nation at this point (And how the gently caress are you gonna beat Ryoma?) so better to play along for now.

Thankfully all poor decisions can be explained by our dull protagonist's stat set up.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chome's high school graduation is gonna be so awkward

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

From a better FE

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

From a better FE

You mean beorc you crazy racist

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Calaveron posted:

You mean beorc you crazy racist

No, "human" is the racist word for beorc.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: video :frogsiren:
Ep 05 - Mother

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Does existing in a state of permanent blush lead to circulatory problems?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

As Vicas mentioned, yeah, the first 5 chapters are identical regardless of which path you're on.
If you have the special edition, or bought additional paths as dlc you get the option to skip straight to the branch point on starting a new game.

And yeah, over in conquest you essentially work to undermine the evil empire from within, which would have been a very interesting concept if written competently.
(it was not.)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I knew that was gonna happen because Queen keeps barrier up with her life force? Come on, but it's amazing how many similar elements the event shares with what happens in Okami, although here it's much more rushed.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The TV show you're talking about at the end is Designated Survivor, an extremely weird show about how Jack Bauer accidentally became president, and which fluctuates wildly between being a bad clone of The West Wing and a lazy spy thriller and has approximately zero grasp of tension and pacing.

Speaking of tension and pacing, I already don't like this games pacing. We've seen barely anything of note that establishes any of these characters. Ganon Garon is the only character we've actually been shown doing things. The families so far have just been dialogue filler. There's barely any time between us meeting Mikoto and her tragic death. None of this stuff feels like it has any weight. Now we're just, marching off to war, with nothing but our weird dragon affliction that we've instantly brought under our control and a sort of default resignation that this is just what we have to do now.

Like, contrast FE9. We spend somewhere between a quarter and a third of the game with Greil before that inevitability resolves, and some plot happens, but we're also given time to build up familiarity with these characters so that when they go through stuff it means something to us, and we can appreciate how everyone feels upended by what happened because we understand what their normality looks like. After that, we're given some time to take things in and we see scenes of people grieving before any more plot happens. We unlock the base menu in tragic circumstances. Two characters leave the group and it feels like a betrayal. The character who joined up last chapter feels very awkward. But here in Fates, we have a body that's still warm and already we've had a big development with Corrin Chome, done a battle, learned how we were punked by Garon, picked up a cool sword, apparently gone and scouted the border, and resolved to do a bunch of murder. These things all happened in one back to back set of cutscenes, and nobody's even taken a moment to feel anything. It's not in proportion.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Yukimura is voiced by Colonel Campbell, right? I seem to recall that, but I'm not 100% sure

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
RIP new Mom.

Also, I had never noticed how gross the hoof-hands were before. Definitely takes a bit away from the dragon's look.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The tiny hands kept reminding me of that deer from Adventure Time

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fedule posted:

The TV show you're talking about at the end is Designated Survivor, an extremely weird show about how Jack Bauer accidentally became president, and which fluctuates wildly between being a bad clone of The West Wing and a lazy spy thriller and has approximately zero grasp of tension and pacing.

I always laughed when they were advertising that because it was literally the stolen plot of a Tom Clancy book.

On the subject of the video, oh gods how did I not see those hands before?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Fedule posted:

Speaking of tension and pacing, I already don't like this games pacing. We've seen barely anything of note that establishes any of these characters. Ganon Garon is the only character we've actually been shown doing things. The families so far have just been dialogue filler. There's barely any time between us meeting Mikoto and her tragic death. None of this stuff feels like it has any weight. Now we're just, marching off to war, with nothing but our weird dragon affliction that we've instantly brought under our control and a sort of default resignation that this is just what we have to do now.

I wholeheartedly agree there, it's kind of bizarre how the part that's in all versions of the game is so short, packed, and rushed. I guess because most players are locked into a family before they even start playing, they didn't care about characterising up and making the player care much about either side before dropping into the path-exclusive content.

If Conquest/Birthright was a single title with both branches in from the start, I imagine they would have spent more part here in part1/prologue town.
More time in pittsburg to get to know the family there, and the same in japan-land, to make the choice something people might actually care about.
But it's so bizarre how if unless you bought the game + a 20?usd DLC at launch, you didn't have a choice in the matter ingame at all.

Also yeesh to the handoofs, I did not notice those either.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

At least the characters have feet this time.

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
I like how Dvac is just bothered by the fact that the dragon is not hot

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
And here we have the first "the protagonist is a complete retard" moment of the game, before the route split even. I mean, trusting the Blatantly Evil Overlord can be explained by him being kidnapped at an extremely young age, getting clocked by Rinkah is forgivable because it happened before he could get his bearings after the (rather forced) My Castle thing, but this whole debacle could've been postponed if not prevented just by Chome going "hey guys, this sword tried to kill me on the way here, could we maybe seal it away and get me a new one?" And then instead of just having his replacement be conveniently in the nearest broken statue, make it a royal treasure (while keeping the "nobody had previously been capable of wielding it, but of course he can because protagonist privileges" thing).

Like, if this was competently written, the player would go through around 2-3 more chapters to let you get to know the Hoshido-side family (to balance the 3-4 we had for Nohr), and then The Invisible Man (or some other antagonistic figure) would break in, steal Ganglari, and THEN off Mom (possibly while everyone else is out and about, with you showing up just in time to hear her last words to provide drama- insert Takumi accusing you of killing her yourself here if necessary). Unfortunately, they were so fixated on the route split that they made the Avatar completely brain-dead just to get there faster.

Yes, I have thought about ways to do this better. It's part of why this game pisses me off so much- it could have been better, and some of the ways to make it live up to its potential are just SO OBVIOUS.

Also, his "dragon" form is a disgrace to all dragons, even beyond its appearance. I mean, he doesn't even have a breath weapon! If you're gonna make a water dragon, make it spit out high-pressure jets of water, or superheated steam, or SOMETHING, instead of just going around slapping things and goring them on its deer-horns.

A recommendation from someone who's played before (in spoilers in case you don't want it): You might wanna focus on Chome's support with Kaze for a bit. Can't really say why even tagged, but still.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Whamukars posted:

I like how Dvac is just bothered by the fact that the dragon is not hot

It's really loving funny though. Especially so with how earlier examples of dragons being just 'Yep, that's a dragon' or 'aww adorable.'

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
This LP is good and listening to people react to the game's lazy, stupid, and bad writing is a delight.

Also, I think dvac might have been thinking about Battlestar Galactica, where the secretary of education becomes president because everyone else is dead and she's way in over her head.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

which pokemon is that

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Really Pants posted:

which pokemon is that

Fa

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

A much cooler magic song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1-Nl2Joins&t=61s

And a much cooler dragon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyDqk559szc

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Chome strikes me as the kind of person who can’t be alone near a bathtub because he will drown.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 2, 2019

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Corrin's dragon form rules!! You all just don't have any taste.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chome's dragon form is the inevitable end result of generations of dragon royals with an incurable sibling thirst

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I think "Water Deer Dragon" is a solid design concept and that this game has much much uglier things throughout it. Like Ryoma. Or Camilla.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

It looks more like Xerneas than any dragon I've ever seen.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Really Pants posted:

which pokemon is that

That's the murderchicken.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rogue 7 posted:

That's the murderchicken.

She's clearly a blaziken, given her nickname. She can even use fire movesif you glitch the game out and steal an enemy's dragonstone

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Really Pants posted:

which pokemon is that

Goodra that had a sack of feathers spill on it

Gaearin
May 15, 2013

Angel to you, Devil to me

CptWedgie posted:

And here we have the first "the protagonist is a complete retard" moment of the game, before the route split even. I mean, trusting the Blatantly Evil Overlord can be explained by him being kidnapped at an extremely young age, getting clocked by Rinkah is forgivable because it happened before he could get his bearings after the (rather forced) My Castle thing, but this whole debacle could've been postponed if not prevented just by Chome going "hey guys, this sword tried to kill me on the way here, could we maybe seal it away and get me a new one?" And then instead of just having his replacement be conveniently in the nearest broken statue, make it a royal treasure (while keeping the "nobody had previously been capable of wielding it, but of course he can because protagonist privileges" thing).

THIS! This is one of my biggest problems with the game pre-route split. The fact that Ganglari attempted to pull Chome into a bottomless chasm is literally NEVER brought up. Not even when it's happening does the protagonist think "why the heck is my sword trying to kill me?!" It's never brought up at all. Even when there is a perfectly good opportunity to bring it up during some dialogue right after the split into Birthright. It's like the writers just kind of forgot it happened and pretended Hans was the only thing trying to kill anyone on that bridge.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
How did this thread escape my notice for so long.

I'm here to talk about anime fire emblem

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gaearin posted:

THIS! This is one of my biggest problems with the game pre-route split. The fact that Ganglari attempted to pull Chome into a bottomless chasm is literally NEVER brought up. Not even when it's happening does the protagonist think "why the heck is my sword trying to kill me?!" It's never brought up at all. Even when there is a perfectly good opportunity to bring it up during some dialogue right after the split into Birthright. It's like the writers just kind of forgot it happened and pretended Hans was the only thing trying to kill anyone on that bridge.

What's weird is that in Okami when the similar (though much less rushed) events take place, that was also the one time I felt Ammy acted like a dummy at one point, and it also had to do with a cursed item.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
So if Garon’s plan was to get Chome near the queen with the evil sword, what was his plan if Chome’s maid didn’t end up being a dragon and Chome and the sword were just lost in the bottomless pit instead?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Speaking of nonsensical plot beats, why does everyone want to bang Chome? He has more personality and wits as a mindless deer dragon.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

InspectorCarbonara posted:

So if Garon’s plan was to get Chome near the queen with the evil sword, what was his plan if Chome’s maid didn’t end up being a dragon and Chome and the sword were just lost in the bottomless pit instead?

I like to think that Garon specifically planned for the queen-icide, but in less than a day the blade got so utterly tired of Chome that it just tried to off him early when it had the chance.

(Honestly, that entire sequence would have been better if Hans had just chopped off the ropes to the extremely rickety bridge instead.)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Mega64 posted:

Speaking of nonsensical plot beats, why does everyone want to bang Chome? He has more personality and wits as a mindless deer dragon.

Because being able to self-insert is apparently a big selling point for a lot of people, and what's the use of imagining yourself as the main character if they aren't the most important person on the planet who everybody wants to be best friends and/or lovers with.

Honestly, you could argue that Robin from Awakening, that game's equivalent to Corrin Chome, is more of a blank slate, but they also aren't the singularity around which every event in the game revolves, they're basically the best friend tagalong of the actual main character for like 75% of the game. Chome doesn't have that luxury, is constantly in the spotlight, and is also a bad character, so all their terrible writing and idiotic choices get exposed way harder than if they were just there to be a viewpoint character for the player as they pal around with the blue haired prince and his ragtag band of one-dimensional anime doofuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaearin
May 15, 2013

Angel to you, Devil to me

SubNat posted:

(Honestly, that entire sequence would have been better if Hans had just chopped off the ropes to the extremely rickety bridge instead.)

And that's the worst part about Fates, really. Is that a lot of the extreme story flaws have such obvious and easy fixes. It can be argued for that particular case that if that happened then we wouldn't get the ""foreshadowing"" about Chome's dragon form from when he attacked Hans back. But honestly? Anything that makes this game less stupid would be an improvement.