Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
So I'm stupid because I can't figure out how to repair stuff. Used to use repair packs but they're gone now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

So I'm stupid because I can't figure out how to repair stuff. Used to use repair packs but they're gone now?

They're still there :v: .

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Oh for fucks sakes.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ratzap posted:

the tidal wave of lovely mods being updated

I like to be a part of something bigger than myself :downs:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Is there any way to turn on the research queue after you start? I didn't realize there was option to turn it on from creation and I don't want to wait until I launch a rocket to be able to play with it. :saddowns:

vv Thank you. :thumbsup:

Jagged Jim fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 28, 2019

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
code:
/c game.forces.player.research_queue_enabled = true

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Toot toot

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Drone_Fragger posted:

Give us the nuclear fuel gotlag. I want my superior fuel processing system that’s also stockalike.

What part(s) of Nuclear Fuel did you like? What would you change?

I am happy to port it to 0.17 but I'd like to make it fit in a bit better, see if I can make it ratio out neatly like the other vanilla stuff does now

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
What I liked about Nuclear Fuel was the more realistic nuclear cycle, while still being pretty simple and presented well. I think it adjusted other recipes too, like the nuclear bomb needing plutonium? That's a good change, and makes the player consider whether they want to prioritise U or Pu (instead of simply "more U"). I know Factorio's a game with a lot of abstraction going on, but Kovarex enrichment seemed to be a little too unrealistic for my own liking.

There're at least a couple of other mods that do this as well (Nuclear Fuel Cycle and SigmaOne's Mods: Nuclear) so I guess people have other options if you'd prefer to work on something else.

(it was still a good mod - thank you for it and your other contributions!)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

GotLag posted:

What part(s) of Nuclear Fuel did you like? What would you change?

I am happy to port it to 0.17 but I'd like to make it fit in a bit better, see if I can make it ratio out neatly like the other vanilla stuff does now

Honestly I’d personally say it fits in absolutely fine, and has the right level of detail to be stockalike without being stupidly overworked like some of the bigger mega mods (pymods for instance is like a 25 centrifuge chain to take up your 0.3% uranium to 35% for your reactors)

Reprocessing in stock is super unsatisfying, and the kovarax process just feels lazy and poorly done. Plutonium processing on the other hand, feels good and feels a lot more sensibles and gives you the later option of making MOX fuel. Breeder reactors for fuel generation as well require a bit more thought than “set up the kovarax system and then leave it for 20 minutes”, since the burn times are different and you need to have a ratio of regular reactors to breeders or you’ll end up using all your fuel.

One suggestion might be to make plutonium and uranium cell reprocessing more consistent. Currently I think it’s 5 cells have a 25% chance of producing one plutonium. Maybe make plutonium “smaller” and give it a guaranteed chance of spawning, then quadruple recipe amounts, or make it require 20 calls to guaranteed produce one plutonium? That way it’s less random if your nominally semi closed cycle system is going to rub out of fuel because of bad dice rolls.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Okay, thanks for the feedback. I'll probably have a look at it on Sunday when this heatwave ends because we're on the fifth consecutive day of >37°C right now and I'm just drained.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I am really digging the new hotbars and how they work. Someone wrote a pretty comprehensive guide on reddit if that is of interest: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/avmryn/a_long_guide_to_the_new_quickbar_017/

GotLag posted:

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I'll probably have a look at it on Sunday when this heatwave ends because we're on the fifth consecutive day of >37°C right now and I'm just drained.
Australia? In which case, another heatwave? Didn't you just have one a couple of weeks ago? Anyone would think their was something screwy going on with the climate at the moment :thunk:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Has anyone got any recommendations for a good budget graphics card specifically for Factorio? Does such a thing exist? I play very few games on the PC and the ones I play don't tend to be particulary demanding. I've got a GTX 750TI which was great bang for the buck at the time and is still absolutely fine for everything else I play... except it's only got 2GB of VRAM so I can't run shiny hi-res Factorio. I'm not very graphics card literate but haven't been able to find anything with 3GB+ that offers similar value for money and would be paying way over the odds for.

VVV thanks, will investigate these.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 28, 2019

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Gravy Jones posted:

Has anyone got any recommendations for a good budget graphics card specifically for Factorio? Does such a thing exist? I play very few games on the PC and the ones I play don't tend to be particulary demanding. I've got a GTX 750TI which was great bang for the buck at the time and is still absolutely fine for everything else I play... except it's only got 2GB of VRAM so I can't run shiny hi-res Factorio. I'm not very graphics card literate but haven't been able to find anything with 3GB+ that offers similar value for money and would be paying way over the odds for.

Bang-for-buck wise you'd be looking at ATI Radeon RX560 - 580 or Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 - 1060.

Vic fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 28, 2019

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
So about that new biter generation

I did a modified rail world but did not mess with the biter generation, guess I am just luck :shrug:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Gravy Jones posted:

Australia? In which case, another heatwave? Didn't you just have one a couple of weeks ago?

How's the snow in SoCal?

Australia's about the same size as the continental USA, with climates that range from temperate to Mediterranean to desert to tropical.

Edit: sorry, that was snappier than it should have been, the heat is getting to me

GotLag fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 28, 2019

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

GotLag posted:

How's the snow in SoCal?

Australia's about the same size as the continental USA, with climates that range from temperate to Mediterranean to desert to tropical.

Edit: sorry, that was snappier than it should have been, the heat is getting to me

I grew up in Australia and currently in the UK. Most of my family still live in Australia so I'm usually have a good idea of what the weather is doing. Was under the impression that a lot of the country has suffered through a record breaking heatwave (particularly with regards to consecutive days of high temparatures and night time temperatures) already this year and surprised/concerned about another one so soon. Headed off to read up on where it was affecting after I posted. No offence intended (was more angling for compassion/concern etc), apology accepted etc. Stay cool man (literally)!

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 28, 2019

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Vic posted:

Bang-for-buck wise you'd be looking at ATI Radeon RX560 - 580 or Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 - 1060.

You might also consider the new -- as in, one week old -- GTX 1660 Ti which is basically nvidia's value card for the newest hardware generation. It's a cost bracket up from that list at around $280, but still very good price/performance. Going that high is more a future-proofing thing or wanting to play other games than specifically for Factorio, though.

It's not a perfect tool and SHSC would probably yell at me for suggesting it but for a basic benchmark ranking of absolutely everything you can use userbenchmark. Sort by value%, look at the price and avg. bench%. Any newer card in the $150+ range will run Factorio without any problems, though I'd suggest avoiding the 3 GB ones.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Isn't this all 2D stuff? Why does it even need a video card? I've only just started but it doesn't complain on my GTX770.

Yes, my computer is old.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can still accelerate effects on a flat surface with a GPU to look prettier :v:

Really though, the game runs fine even on my chomebook if I tune the details down a little bit, the main issue when your base gets bigger is cpu cycles.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Isn't this all 2D stuff? Why does it even need a video card? I've only just started but it doesn't complain on my GTX770.

Yes, my computer is old.

You can run it on just about anything, but the hires graphics need 3GB of VRAM which older low-end cards (or even medium end in my case) don't have. Not sure why, I think it's something to do with the number of sprites it's holding in memory rather than the processing power needed, there's more on the official forums if that kind of talk is your thing. I tend to play with smoke and steam turned off or it'll stutter when I run through steam power or oil processing areas, especially when zoomed out.

A new graphics card for a single game I can play just fine with my current card is a bit overkill, but given I've played that game over 1000 hours.... eh.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 28, 2019

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes, my computer is old.

This is 2d stuff with loooots of pixels and layers, so it needs the hardware to push it (also even 2d stuff has been going through your GPU, within the same circuits as 3d, for more than 15 years).

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes, my computer is old.

Textures is textures, and high res factorio textures need a lot of vram.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Makes sense. I need to upgrade for Cyperpunk anyway.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Xerophyte posted:

You might also consider the new -- as in, one week old -- GTX 1660 Ti which is basically nvidia's value card for the newest hardware generation. It's a cost bracket up from that list at around $280, but still very good price/performance. Going that high is more a future-proofing thing or wanting to play other games than specifically for Factorio, though.

Out of my price range (in the UK where cards especially newer ones are a lot more expensive). I'd almost pulled the trigger on something ummm, RX 580, but my PSU may not be up to the job so will need to do more research. I may end up not bothering as I don't really play anything that troubles my current card other than the vram thing for hires factorio and I do fine with the regular graphics. Thanks for the tips though. E: Alternatively 1050ti is in my price range and should be fine with my power supply so that's tempting.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 28, 2019

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
And there's 0.17.3, thankfully fixes a few things I'd run into.

Reckon they'll stop cranking them out so fast soon? They must have taken the edge off the worst by now.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I'm simplifying very wildly here but there's very little distinction between 2D and 3D in terms of what your hardware does. Graphics cards accelerate 3D graphics by compressing the entire process down to 2D graphics as soon as they possibly can, which they do by taking each triangle of the 3D triangle meshes you ask them to render, projecting those triangles down to 2D screen triangles and then drawing those 2D triangles directly. The projection from 3D to 2D is typically cheap and the vast majority of the work happens when drawing the 2D triangles.

A "2D" game like Factorio is still fundamentally drawn in 3D. Their 3D data is flat terrain, flat sprites above the terrain and a flat camera so it's rendering a lot of squares floating above a lot of other squares. That means the projection from 3D triangles down to 2D triangles is even simpler than usual, probably even trivial, but since that projection is almost always negligible it doesn't meaningfully make the rendering work much cheaper. In Factorio the actual drawing part isn't very complex either so you still don't need particularly high end hardware, but that's not exactly guaranteed.

How much graphics card you need for 2D games depends basically on how many and how complex textures the game needs to load to draw a screen and how complex the drawing process is. For a game using pre-rendered backgrounds you can easily need way more GPU memory than equivalent fidelity 3D graphics, for tiles probably not so much. Things like shadows, dynamic lighting, smoke and fog are just as complex to do in a 2D game as a 3D game since in both cases they're done in a 2D triangle drawing step (again, simplifying wildly). They can cripple any GPU if your game turns them up to 11; for Factorio I know smoke has been a persistent performance issue on the lowest end hardware, which is not surprising because transparent layering can eat fillrate like mad.

Gravy Jones posted:

Out of my price range (in the UK where cards especially newer ones are a lot more expensive). I'd almost pulled the trigger on something ummm, RX 580, but my PSU may not be up to the job so will need to do more research. I may end up not bothering as I don't really play anything that troubles my current card other than the vram thing for hires factorio and I do fine with the regular graphics. Thanks for the tips though.

Sure, that's perfectly sensible. A 4 GB RX 580 is an excellent card for its cost and should be more than enough for Factorio. Looking it up and it looks like the RX 580 has a 200W max draw vs about 60W for the 750 Ti you said you had so there's definitely a difference. The GPU is usually the hungriest component in the system so you should be able to run on a 450W PSU, but 550W or more would be more efficient (less actual watts drawn from your wall).

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
0.17.3 Notes https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65940

Disabling the flamethrower tracking because it was lighting bases on fire preemptively is pretty great. Hope they fix the auto update api for the weekend, manually downloading onto the server is not ideal.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Xerophyte posted:

Sure, that's perfectly sensible. A 4 GB RX 580 is an excellent card for its cost and should be more than enough for Factorio. Looking it up and it looks like the RX 580 has a 200W max draw vs about 60W for the 750 Ti you said you had so there's definitely a difference. The GPU is usually the hungriest component in the system so you should be able to run on a 450W PSU, but 550W or more would be more efficient (less actual watts drawn from your wall).

Yeah, mines only 430W, but it's a solid branded 430W (Corsair), so I'd be pushing it for a RX 580 by the look of it. 1050 TI seems to only draw 75W so I should be fine, but I'm pretty much at the upper limit of what my nearly decade old machine can handle across the board with this upgrade. More limited by the motherboard than anything else at this point. Thanks for the tips.

eating_instructions
Oct 25, 2005
1) Twist it. 2) Lick the cream. 3) Dunk it in the milk? 4) AGGHHH IT BURNS!
0.17 says it will get clients to auto sync any mods that a server uses. That didn’t seem to be happening to me when adding a few mods (downloaded from the mod portal) to a headless server

When joining, the client says “mod mismatch” and lists the mods. Nothing seems to auto download

Any ideas?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Bug Report: My train name is missing.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I'm noticing a new behavior and I wonder if there's any documentation about it.

It's super awesome that ore patches are revealed; I'm just wondering if this is new vanilla behavior or maybe new behavior from RSO.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yup it was added to vanilla to balance with the biters being more aggressive, so you can plan ahead where to outpost.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yup it was added to vanilla to balance with the biters being more aggressive, so you can plan ahead where to outpost.

:yeah: That rules.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well I definitely haven't gotten it in my game. What triggers it?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Royal W posted:

It's super awesome that ore patches are revealed; I'm just wondering if this is new vanilla behavior or maybe new behavior from RSO.

I thought it was just an RSO option, but if they added it to vanilla thats cool too.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

M_Gargantua posted:

I thought it was just an RSO option, but if they added it to vanilla thats cool too.

I'm playing stock and that doesn't happen on my map. Perhaps it's an option? It's not something I'd want to be honest.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Its been an RSO feature since at least .15

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a proper/better way to do this?

Like, I want to merge a coal belt with an iron/copper belt, is there a better way to make the output put all iron on one side and all coal on the other when both sides of the incoming belts are being used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

nvm i'm stupid, above is exactly what I always do, sideloading is the norm, no?