Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

:females:

Piece of poo poo. Wonder if Jessica Lewis on that podcast she does will get the loving hint. Not listening to it anymore though so let me know if it’s brought up.

Whoa, dude.

Two bad episodes so far, but holy hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zesty posted:

You doing okay, STAC? We’re here for you, buddy.

Just a joke because "gently caress Duke."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The editing this week still feels a bit... slanted? Yellow is near invisible - who are half these people? Purple's a bit better since Chris got a bit more time to shine; I think Lauren, despite finding an idol, is now the least visible member of that tribe.

Still no swap next week, so I guess another purple (read: Wendy) is going home.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's probably just a product of them winning and having no obvious conflict. Basically what Aubry said early in the episode. Everyone's "kumbaya" so there's not much gaming going on. To the point where Aubry gaming just a little too hard put a target on her back.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
True. It might just be spillover from the first episode where we didn't get to really hear from half the people.

I do agree that booting Keith was 100% the right move. The 'Big Kelley Move' isn't going to help you this early on. She's not exactly gonna make allies on the other tribe either since they all want returnees gone. If anything, it'll help give you a common target at the swap/merge to save your skin for a few days while you figure something out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For me I think the "shield/big target" argument is maybe a little overblown. Like sometimes that matters but you never really know how that stuff like that is gonna play out with numbers and what people see as the biggest threats.

To me the bigger thing is you always have to be conscious about how the rest of the tribe perceives you or the game. I think that's a problem David had in the past and a big part of "Zeking it". You make a big move and take down a big target early you stand out. At this stage of the game you don't have to really care about the tribe but you should at least pretend to. Making everyone aware that you're playing hard to win makes you a threat. Even something like Aubry playing just a little too aggressively makes her standout from everyone else dancing.

And a big move tends to start knocking down dominoes of other big moves. If its a big tribe majority move and not something pushed hard by one player maybe it doesn't play out that way. But you're still jump starting the game very early. Its a benefit to play team player and keep the game simple early on. You can be thinking ahead and figuring out how to win but you want to keep everyone else's heads out of that mindset if you can. So take out the guy who the tribe thinks is a weak link, no one has to think too hard about it.

Sadly Wardouche seemed to have the right idea about that. He might be smart. That would suck. Although I guess by my philosophy he shouldn't have tried to rock the boat at all by shifting the target from Wendy to Keith.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The editing this week still feels a bit... slanted? Yellow is near invisible - who are half these people?

I swear I see this exact same post every season.

It's only been two episodes, they're going to focus on the returnees more than the average player AND the number of people in the game hasn't even gone down from 18 yet because of Extinction Island.

When (if?) yellow loses they'll spend more time on them, this happens all the time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Good lord Kieth has to be one of the worst castings in a long time

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Did they cast Keith hoping he would drown and make for good TV?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think Keith could've hung on longer for sure if only he hadn't sucked so bad at challenges, it was a deft if soulless move the way he knifed Reem, but ""Wardog"" made a good point on Kelley being a good person to have next to you in a swap situation. That poor trio of Reem/Keith/Wendy can't catch a break outside of wendy's ankle

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Doesn't actually matter. Idol is hers.
no it's not because it's not in her possession. If someone somehow dug it up it'd be theirs

blue squares posted:

Strong second episode up until the total wet fart of an ending. I complain about this 8 times per season but I just hate the editing misdirection for the sake of creating an "exciting" tribal vote read. David and his nerd friend changing their mind was not even explored so it was just a random "yeah nah Kelly stays Keith is out."
I think it was fine... i mean they showed wardog being deadset on getting Keith out, they showed Chris was the 5th the anti-kelley plotters needed, they showed wardog talking to Chris and trying to talk him out of it and giving a confessional that he wanted Chris to change his mind but think it was his decision. They left us in suspense, obviously, but upon seeing the result, the stuff they didn't show us can easily be inferred (Chris backed off the move courtesy of """""WArdog"""" and the plan had to be dropped as a result, so everyone went unanimous onto Keith)

Zesty posted:

:females:

Piece of poo poo. Wonder if Jessica Lewis on that podcast she does will get the loving hint. Not listening to it anymore though so let me know if it’s brought up.
How do you get so mad at a woman for using the word females.?

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 28, 2019

nerox
May 20, 2001

Fast Luck posted:

no it's not because it's not in her possession. If someone somehow dug it up it'd be theirs

Bill dug up Colton's idol in Survivor: One World and threw it out to sea. It was returned to Colton, as it is considered a personal item once found.

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2012/10/survivor-one-world-idol-stealing/

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hmm that’s interesting, i knew that story except I always thought it was taken out of his bag. my statement was from a player’s rules explanation on a podcast although I can’t remember which (either Wendell/Dom or Australian Survivor maybe?)... but I definitely heard it. It would make sense too that if you leave it out in the woods somewhere that someone else could find it. And it’d be another of the pros/cons between keeping it in your possessions where people can find it but not take it vs hiding it in the woods which would be taking it out of your possession. Now I’m unsure what the rule really is though

nerox
May 20, 2001
I'm curious as to what the rules would really be, since you supposedly can't take other people's personal items, yet Russell burned people's socks and was not punished Other than not winning, let's start Rusell Chat! (Please, don't)

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Just go home Keith :ughh:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fast Luck posted:

How do you get so mad at a woman for using the word females.?

No difference between genders using the word in that context. Women, too, can use patriarchal slights to talk down to women.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Extinction Island sucks for all the players but I’m enjoying it so far as the viewer. I’m sure I’ll change my mind when Joe inevitably gets voted out and then wins his way back in but maybe not??

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
God
Jesus
God
Jesus
God
Jesus
God
Jesus
God
Jesus
God
Jesus
God
Jesus
God
Jesus

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

No difference between genders using the word in that context. Women, too, can use patriarchal slights to talk down to women.

Female here. I say "female" because the word "woman" has always irked me for some reason. Female sounds better.

Tell me more about reinforcing the patriarchy though :allears:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Survivor cliffhanger? Why you do me like that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Keith just spent a reaaaaaaaaally long time overthinking the question and they wanted to properly convey how annoying that was like Christian's Immunity filibuster.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

the immunity filibuster was loving incredible though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh yeah, I only meant "annoying" to Alec. It was amazing TV.

I was just joking that the next episode will start with Keith going "Ohgodohjesusohgodohjesus" as the sun comes up or something.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's kind of funny though. Kieth's decision likely plays a big factor in Reem's game as well... Like if he went to Extinction Island then she'd be fine, but without it would be what 5-6 days of being on an island by yourself, presumably she probably doesn't even know if more people are going to show up at some point yet.. That type of thing would drive any sane person insane.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Propaganda Machine posted:

Ok

Using adjectives as nouns is often a verbal trick used to minimize and marginalize, replacing a person with a single characteristic

Females. Blacks. Gays. Schizophrenics.

Whatever the speaker's intent, people hearing this over and over form mental associations and frames that may structurally reinforce the dehumanization of others. If your intent is pure, you'll probably never notice it, but it has a compounding and confirming effect on people who harbor those ideas and on their victims who hear it casually used by others.

It's probably a small effect, and it's a judgement call whether you should be "reclaiming" the term or even caring about it's possible harm to others, but that's the one minute answer.

Edit: oh poo poo I thought this was the Wendy's drive-through, but it's the Survivor thread

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 1, 2019

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

For me I think the "shield/big target" argument is maybe a little overblown. Like sometimes that matters but you never really know how that stuff like that is gonna play out with numbers and what people see as the biggest threats.

To me the bigger thing is you always have to be conscious about how the rest of the tribe perceives you or the game. I think that's a problem David had in the past and a big part of "Zeking it". You make a big move and take down a big target early you stand out. At this stage of the game you don't have to really care about the tribe but you should at least pretend to. Making everyone aware that you're playing hard to win makes you a threat. Even something like Aubry playing just a little too aggressively makes her standout from everyone else dancing.

And a big move tends to start knocking down dominoes of other big moves. If its a big tribe majority move and not something pushed hard by one player maybe it doesn't play out that way. But you're still jump starting the game very early. Its a benefit to play team player and keep the game simple early on. You can be thinking ahead and figuring out how to win but you want to keep everyone else's heads out of that mindset if you can. So take out the guy who the tribe thinks is a weak link, no one has to think too hard about it.

Sadly Wardouche seemed to have the right idea about that. He might be smart. That would suck. Although I guess by my philosophy he shouldn't have tried to rock the boat at all by shifting the target from Wendy to Keith.

Yeah I agree that the "shield" strategy is useless *except* as some insurance against getting swap-screwed. Post-swap pre-merge is the one spot in the game where a one-person buffer makes a huge difference, and in the current era of very frequent swaps I'm definitely sympathetic to the idea of keeping the returnees around for that purpose. I guess even then there's some danger that the "shield" is avoided as a target to outsmart a possible idol, but I think in a season like this if you swap onto a tribe with a legendary returnee and the returnee is in the minority and you have a free shot at them, you take the shot right away (like Malcolm, J.T., and Sandra going out back-to-back after swaps in Game Changers). Also no guarantee you even get swapped onto a tribe with the returnees.

Keep in mind this season was filmed right after Ghost Island which had 2 tribe swaps AND a post-merge one-round "swap" where Malolo got screwed every time and picked off, so this is probably very fresh on their minds. If I'm the blue tribe my goals are (roughly in order): (1) staunch the bleeding by cutting bad challenge performers to reduce the odds of swapping onto a minority on both/all tribes, (2) keep returnees around as a buffer, (3) try to keep everyone as united as possible with safe consensus boots so if blue *does* end up on a majority on one post-swap tribe they can keep that majority without someone flipping because they feel like they're on the bottom.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 1, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Female here. I say "female" because the word "woman" has always irked me for some reason. Female sounds better.

Someone who calls men "men" and women "females" is reinforcing it whether you're personally okay with it or not. :nallears:

Here's a decent article on the subject and you can find many more with a "Women vs females" google search. I honestly think it's great you seem to be insulated from people who other women in this way as a symptom of their misogyny but it's not the reality for most.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 1, 2019

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That article was a decent read, but I take issue with prescriptivism, ESPECIALLY with regards to English. What makes English one of the most beautiful languages is its malleability. Your linked article presumes meaning and intention where there isn't necessarily any at all. I think we can both agree that some people would use "female" in this demeaning way. I do not, however, think that a simple biological term is one to be "reclaimed." THAT, is an insult.

Everybody gets othered. Even privileged white cis males. Tumblr others the gently caress out of them. I'm not particularly interested in any of this. I just bristle at being called woman, and I further bristle that anybody would take some kind of offense to this.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I think we can both agree that some people would use "female" in this demeaning way.

Good. I think it's a good shorthand for finding terrible people. Not flawless though obviously.

Wardog doesn't seem the type to break the mold though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I don't have a strong enough impression yet. I also don't like making assumptions about his past and inclinations but that's just me. Along with some others in here, I detest the undue attention given to the returning players, additional to the myriad other format problems this season.

As far as I know, wardog is the bald guy and probably has a military background. That's it so far.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

I don't have a strong enough impression yet. I also don't like making assumptions about his past and inclinations but that's just me. Along with some others in here, I detest the undue attention given to the returning players, additional to the myriad other format problems this season.

As far as I know, wardog is the bald guy and probably has a military background. That's it so far.

I just don't know almost any of the new players at all.

The only new people that I could say three things about them are:
Keith
Reem
Wendy
Keith
Gavin (had to look up his name though)

And then I guess I know that Lauren has an idol and like kelley, and I can recognize by name wardog.

I have no idea about anyone else. Like I know the vibe of the yellow tribe, but I couldn't tell you more than two names of anyone there.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
That’s a common survivor problem but this year is even worse. The extinction island so far is not good because it has only unlikable people/person on it as well.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Token Female posted:

Like I know the vibe of the yellow tribe, but I couldn't tell you more than two names of anyone there.

Kelley and David.

I do weddings AND Bar Mitzvahs :v:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Also he asks people to call him wardog

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I dont call women "females" because of the reasons mentioned and also it just sounds weird and clinical to use in normal speech. However I dont really bristle at someone whos a woman herself over her choice to use the word, it's not as if it's a slur. Not worth policing women over imo but that's just me

Yeah I feel like I'm being slower than usual to recognize the cast despite following the preseason coverage. Eric, Aurora, Julie, Julia, and Gavin are i guess the people who have yet to make an impression. I know Julie & Julia had a brief moments last episode but the others are a real blank still. But it's early

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wish every episode was 2 hours long

I want more camp detail and more challenges

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I know Australian Survivor does it mostly because they're trying to bleed as many TV hours as they can out of their taping, but the extra time really really works in terms of introducing all the players and sharing their stories. Not sure I agree on needing more challenges though! They're an important part of the game but I feel like we get all we need out of them. Actually I think the bit where Jeff explains how the challenge works is the most skippable part of any episode, it's not like it's hard to follow along with what they're doing out there.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Bloop posted:

more challenges

Ozzy spotted

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

Ozzy spotted

Lol but the current complex challenges are great, but I miss separate reward challenges

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Bigass Moth posted:

That’s a common survivor problem but this year is even worse.

It's true like in Cook Islands, I think there's only like 11 people of 20 how you can really say anything about. But this season most of the story lines are about the returning players themselves, or people reacting to the returning players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Just once I want someone to say their favorite player was Chris Daugherty or Sandra instead of it always being Parvati or Russell or whoever won the previous season.