Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CelticPredator posted:

Let us examine Singer's incredible direction in this scene of X-Men 5

Magneto shows up to gently caress poo poo up cuz he mad

people scared. Oh poo poo, what's he gonna say!??

the big speech begins

Oh.

what is the focal point in this scene?

what IS this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Celtic, do you think there might be a reason why Magneto is off centre in that shot?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
On the one hand there's nothing wrong with that shot (although I think it would have worked better if Magneto was on the right hand side of the screen and the giant empty space was above and in front of him rather than behind him) but on the other hand the direction of that scene was shiiiiiiiiiiiiit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux0TaOu6RHI

"Who the gently caress are you?" would have been a great line if it'd been handled better but loving hell does it land with a thud here, the timing was just woeful.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Action Jacktion posted:

Holy poo poo MewTwo

Or do kids today know who that is?

My kid's reaction was the same as yours (literally word for word).... so yes, apparently. He was also disappointed that the frog guys (Greninja?) appear to be bad guys. I'm not a pokemon person so he didn't get any of that from me.

He's also convinced that detective pikachu is the missing dad transformed into a pikachu. No so sure about that one.

Movie looks fun.

edit: Also echoing the Tron 2 and Oblivion love. Both soundtracks I listen to a lot. For me the biggest problem with Tron 2 is there's just like a couple of sections of the film where it just drags and is really dull and the final act (everything after the nightclub) is just gibberish, but still looks and sounds good. I'll still watch it at the drop of a hat though. I haven't seen Oblivion in a while and could do with watching that again.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 28, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pokémon has used gen 1 as the foundation to everything and finds any excuse to go back to them. I think MewTwo has like four different movies at this point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wendell posted:

Celtic, do you think there might be a reason why Magneto is off centre in that shot?

From Bryan singer? No I do not. Just looks like a lotta empty space.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Let us examine Singer's incredible direction in this scene of X-Men 5

Magneto shows up to gently caress poo poo up cuz he mad

people scared. Oh poo poo, what's he gonna say!??

the big speech begins

Oh.

what is the focal point in this scene?

I mean, thematically it's really easy to explain.

Magneto until this point had been reformed. Part of a community, has a family, etc. But then his community stabbed him in the back, his family is murdered, and he himself kills a bunch of people.

Prior when we saw Magneto at work, it was all normally composed, him part of the hustle and bustle. When we see him again, as Magneto returns to kill his community and those he may well have considered his friends, it's lit harshly in red, the cameras are off like his perspective, and there's an incredibly strong emphasis that he walks alone, that he is no longer part of what is happening in this place, that his life is now devoid of life.

Apocalypse and co. appearing behind him tells us that they're with Magneto and he no longer walks alone, while maintaining that everything is off-kilter.

Now... I don't presume to know what Bryan loving Singer is ever thinking about anything ever, nor is this an implication that the choices were good or the best available, but none of it is a stretch. :shrug:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

On the one hand there's nothing wrong with that shot (although I think it would have worked better if Magneto was on the right hand side of the screen and the giant empty space was above and in front of him rather than behind him) but on the other hand the direction of that scene was shiiiiiiiiiiiiit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux0TaOu6RHI

"Who the gently caress are you?" would have been a great line if it'd been handled better but loving hell does it land with a thud here, the timing was just woeful.

Now I'm just angry that they completely wasted Oscar Isaac.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I've seen the movie twice and the second time I loving FORGOT it was Oscar Isaac. How do you pull that one off?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Man, I guess First Class, Days of Future Past, X2, and Logan were just flukes.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've seen the movie twice and the second time I loving FORGOT it was Oscar Isaac. How do you pull that one off?

Just like the latest Star Trek movie nearly wasted Idris Elba, cover them in huge prosthetics for some reason

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deakul posted:

Man, I guess First Class, Days of Future Past, X2, and Logan were just flukes.

Just watch X-MEN, X2, and Logan in sequence; not only are they the best X-Men films, they make sense chronologically without getting into convoluted time travel poo poo. Logan ends the story perfectly.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Pokémon has used gen 1 as the foundation to everything and finds any excuse to go back to them. I think MewTwo has like four different movies at this point.

Yeah it sure helps that they're the best gen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still like the one where Wolverine goes to Japan. It's a good Best of the Worst.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It just has a bad last 15 minutes other wise it’s pretty good. I’m glad Mangold was able to do another one and knock it out of the park.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Slutitution posted:

Did Bryan Singer touch you or something?

dog are you really gonna get on my rear end for hating a literal pedophile too much

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, the new Hellboy trailer dropped. Still doesn't feel like Hellboy. Still doesn't seem like a horror take on the material. Still looks pretty dreadful.

Elsewhere someone said it looks like the Resident Evil movies and I thought that sounded about right.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Well, the new Hellboy trailer dropped. Still doesn't feel like Hellboy. Still doesn't seem like a horror take on the material. Still looks pretty dreadful.

Elsewhere someone said it looks like the Resident Evil movies and I thought that sounded about right.

I think it's a much better trailer than the last one, but the movie is still, like... missing something. Maybe it's just that they're trying to position Milla Jovovich as an imposing villain and that's just not something that should even be attempted.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

feedmyleg posted:

It’s got Millia Jovovich so that would not be inaccurate.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Tagline is Raise Some Hell and they couldn't get the rights to Raise a Little Hell by Trooper??

gently caress this movie looks so bad and the quips ughhhhhhhh the quips. At least Perlman could deliver them good.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Tagline is Raise Some Hell and they couldn't get the rights to Raise a Little Hell by Trooper??

gently caress this movie looks so bad and the quips ughhhhhhhh the quips. At least Perlman could deliver them good.

It actually looks fun, not see-in-theaters fun, but streamable. I agree with you on the quips though, the ending zodiac joke was so bad and badly delivered I can't believe they put it in a trailer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The only thing that made me laugh was the "game face" punching joke. And that was still not as funny as nearly anything in the first two Hellboy movies. I agree something just feels like it's missing, so far. It's so close but just...off.

And yeah, Zodiac joke bombed so hard.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I agree something just feels like it's missing, so far. It's so close but just...off.

It's missing Del Toro's creature design and Ron Perlman. I won't comment on the dialog since the movie isn't out, but from the trailer it seems that may be a problem as well.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I actually liked some of the monsters the most out of anything in that trailer...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The bridge monster was kinda cool.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The new Hellboy movie looks like the very definition of Oh, I’ll Buy That Out of a Redbox for $3.99.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
also the center of the frame is not the "focal point". Its pretty obvious that Fassbender is the focal point even if its not an outstanding frame.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bows1 posted:

also the center of the frame is not the "focal point". Its pretty obvious that Fassbender is the focal point even if its not an outstanding frame.

Rule of thirds!

(not sure if that applies to motion pictures as it does for photography)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well is there 3 things?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That's... that's not what Rule of Thirds refers to?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Proteus Jones posted:

Sure it does. If there are three people in the picture...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You got me. Can't argue with that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Proteus Jones posted:

It's a joke from some dumb poo poo on twitter that got posted in the comic books thread, hehe.

https://twitter.com/colddayonmars/status/1085926994641121280

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, that's great. Especially as that stills composition is complete center orientated and doesn't follow the rule of thirds anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Proteus Jones posted:

It's missing Del Toro's creature design and Ron Perlman. I won't comment on the dialog since the movie isn't out, but from the trailer it seems that may be a problem as well.

And Abe Sapien.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

It's a joke from some dumb poo poo on twitter that got posted in the comic books thread, hehe.

https://twitter.com/colddayonmars/status/1085926994641121280

OK, that's pretty drat funny.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

bows1 posted:

There’s nothing going on in that shot except giant bright lights and Fassbender in the corner with nothing making him stand out. Turn your head, look back. Where is your eye drawn too.

That’s my problem. He might as well be a box or something.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fassbender isn't the focus. The lights create leading lines away from him into the lower right corner.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Jesus Christ - Did the Phoenix director really come out and say "We spoiled the death of a major character in the trailer because we wanted show this is a different movie than the other X-Men films".

Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I sure hope the Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood trailer comes out this month.