Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018
What are the actual chances Trudeau resigns? Who would replace him? Christina Freeland? How quickly would she invade Venezuela?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

over this? zero

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
He's not resigning in an election year.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wasn't Weir the autistic guy that talked too close to women and made awkward small talk in elevators? I don't think he ever got accused of propositioning interns or grabbing asses or anything.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 28, 2019

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

zapplez posted:

Wasn't Weir the autistic guy that talked to close to women and made awkward small talk in elevators?

Hits too close to home.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
It is true that there are countries where bribery is just needed to get by. I recall an episode of Don't Drive Here, I don't remember which city, but some expats there were saying "this is the only city in the world where if you bribe a cop, he'll give you change."

However, there's a pretty big difference between needing to bribe a cop so he doesn't confiscate your passport, versus needing to bribe a dictator because if we don't get all the construction contracts and defraud Libya's public institutions we're just leaving money on the table you guys. Responsibility to sharestakers, maxxxxxx capitalism!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mordecai posted:

It is true that there are countries where bribery is just needed to get by. I recall an episode of Don't Drive Here, I don't remember which city, but some expats there were saying "this is the only city in the world where if you bribe a cop, he'll give you change."

However, there's a pretty big difference between needing to bribe a cop so he doesn't confiscate your passport, versus needing to bribe a dictator because if we don't get all the construction contracts and defraud Libya's public institutions we're just leaving money on the table you guys. Responsibility to sharestakers, maxxxxxx capitalism!

it's the difference between being forced to participate in a broken system to survive and willingly enabling that system

Awful CompSloth posted:

What are the actual chances Trudeau resigns? Who would replace him? Christina Freeland? How quickly would she invade Venezuela?

trudeau can still wring some money out of canada so he's sticking around

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
How exactly is Trudeau enriching himself by being PM?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

mik posted:

well he's not letting corporations and china and just about everyone run roughshod over the entire economy for fun

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1100998562681249792
what an rear end in a top hat,

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

mik posted:

He got to go on that sweet vacation to the Aga Khan's island.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

I dont get why this isnt everyones first reaction. Theyre a company full of monsters profiting by aiding monsters around the globe.

Instead its "But JOBS" :psyduck:

My only question is why aren't we going after the decision makers who were in charge of it and had to approve of the bribery instead of the corporation as a whole? Who will actaully get punished if we strike SNC down? My bet is if SNC falls, the people who were in charge will probably get away with golden parachute.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

supersnowman posted:

My only question is why aren't we going after the decision makers who were in charge of it and had to approve of the bribery instead of the corporation as a whole? Who will actaully get punished if we strike SNC down? My bet is if SNC falls, the people who were in charge will probably get away with golden parachute.

That'd encourage shareholders and boards to hire unscrupulous people, milk as much profit out of their illegal acts as possible, and have the people they hired remain holding the bag. Yo have to punish the corporation as well.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

supersnowman posted:

Because "we" don't mind openly slashing regulation and letting corporations do what they will in the name of 'jobs' but if you try to cut deals in secret whoooooo

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Where's the guy that said it was politically expedient to protect SNC-Lavalin and that the Liberals were just being savvy

Maybe you mean me?

I said that nothing alleged involves illegality.

As for political expediency, we'll see. It's easy to see why Trudeau wanted to see a deferred prosecution used. The bribery was ages ago and everyone involved is long gone from SNC-Lavalin.

Raybold-Wilson has decided to try to make this blow up in Trudeau's face. While press and opposition are going crazy, that itself doesn't mean much. The mechanics of why what was done is wrong might be too obscure to penetrate the public consciousness. And francophone media are on Trudeau's side.

I mean, what would the campaign commercials look like? "Justin Trudeau used his position to try to keep a Canadian company that employs 60,000 people from going under. We won't do that. Vote Conservative."

Tochiazuma posted:

Because "we" don't mind openly slashing regulation and letting corporations do what they will in the name of 'jobs' but if you try to cut deals in secret whoooooo

What secret deal?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
He lied

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Maneck posted:

Maybe you mean me?

I said that nothing alleged involves illegality.

As for political expediency, we'll see. It's easy to see why Trudeau wanted to see a deferred prosecution used. The bribery was ages ago and everyone involved is long gone from SNC-Lavalin.

Raybold-Wilson has decided to try to make this blow up in Trudeau's face. While press and opposition are going crazy, that itself doesn't mean much. The mechanics of why what was done is wrong might be too obscure to penetrate the public consciousness. And francophone media are on Trudeau's side.

I mean, what would the campaign commercials look like? "Justin Trudeau used his position to try to keep a Canadian company that employs 60,000 people from going under. We won't do that. Vote Conservative."

What secret deal?

The Liberals rammed through the DPA in the 2018 budget bill and didn't make it public they were making the agreement. They've already lost the battle of messaging that this was "good for people and jobs".

Also attack ads rarely mention other parties. It would sound something like this.

*Scary orchestra music starts playing*
"Justin Trudeau and his Liberal friends are cutting backroom deals and lying to the public. He was EXPOSED by his own party members"
*10 seconds of the most damning JWR quotes*
"Can we really trust Justin Trudeau and the Liberals!!!?!??!?!"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It’s true: voters will never buy “these people can’t tell right from wrong and don’t respect the rule of law - all that matters is how well connected you are” about Liberals of all people.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also SNC-Lavalin was bribing a foreign dictatorship so they would get the contracts to build torture prisons in the desert. They should all go to jail, I don't give a poo poo about Are Jawbs.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 28, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
This story perfectly illustrates how there are entirely different sets of rules for the rich and powerful than there are for normal people. While in this particular case SNC-Lavellin was lobbying over around an issue relating to bribing foreign officials you had better believe that the same kind of behind-the-scenes corporate pressure is responsible for making sure all kinds of corrupt domestic companies never face consequences for their actions. It's also the reason we'll never see another expansion of the safety net comparable to healthcare. In a very real sense the influence wielded by entities like SNC-Lavellin directly leads to all of our lives being much worse off. The influence they wield directly reduces the influence that everyone else can hope to wield.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

The Liberals rammed through the DPA in the 2018 budget bill and didn't make it public they were making the agreement. They've already lost the battle of messaging that this was "good for people and jobs".

Also attack ads rarely mention other parties. It would sound something like this.

*Scary orchestra music starts playing*
"Justin Trudeau and his Liberal friends are cutting backroom deals and lying to the public. He was EXPOSED by his own party members"
*10 seconds of the most damning JWR quotes*
"Can we really trust Justin Trudeau and the Liberals!!!?!??!?!"

Accusing your opponents of being politicians is a good tactic.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

I'm surprised Trudeau would've been stupid enough to waive privilege if he knew what Wilson-Raybould was going to say.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MakaVillian posted:

I'm surprised Trudeau would've been stupid enough to waive privilege if he knew what Wilson-Raybould was going to say.

There's a good case that was the smartest move he's made in the whole affair. Raybould-Wilson made a big deal about how she had taken advice from a former Supreme Court Judge about what was covered by privilege, and the media was already going with the narrative that there was a cover up going on. The trouble with a cover up is that it tends to lend legitimacy to whatever comes out, when if finally comes out. And the claim for privilege here was weak, so everything was coming out sooner or later. With an election on the way, sooner is much better than later.

Trudeau and the Liberals took the position they have nothing to hide. This way they can just say Raybould-Wilson is wrong about the facts. Which just happens to be Trudeau said this morning.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Liberals position is we did a bad thing but what are you going to do? Vote for the party of Stephen Harper!?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I think the Liberals' position is "What we did wasn't bad and it definitely wasn't illegal"

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Maneck posted:

There's a good case that was the smartest move he's made in the whole affair. Raybould-Wilson made a big deal about how she had taken advice from a former Supreme Court Judge about what was covered by privilege, and the media was already going with the narrative that there was a cover up going on. The trouble with a cover up is that it tends to lend legitimacy to whatever comes out, when if finally comes out. And the claim for privilege here was weak, so everything was coming out sooner or later. With an election on the way, sooner is much better than later.

Trudeau and the Liberals took the position they have nothing to hide. This way they can just say Raybould-Wilson is wrong about the facts. Which just happens to be Trudeau said this morning.

Fair enough, it's an interesting choice though.

Either, as you say, the Liberals thought that they couldn't keep this quiet long enough for them to trigger the election so let it come out now and hope the news cycle changes or Trudeau didn't think that Raybould-Wilson would come out and say what she did because one or both are outright lying/misunderstood the context of their meeting on Sept. 17.

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 28, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Looking at the 2015 election map, I'm trying to figure out where this'll hurt them the most.

I mean, let's assume it won't in Quebec, and might actually help them a bit (especially in Montreal). The prairies were a write off still anyway, so it seems down to how badly it'll hurt them in Ontario and the Atlantic.

Hey, maybe instead of a Con doom government it'll just lead to the Libs being downgraded to minority and having to work with the NDP to prop them up? I can hope right? :saddowns:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
You mean having to work with the Conservatives, because they will never under any circumstances cooperate with the NDP

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

infernal machines posted:

You mean having to work with the Conservatives, because they will never under any circumstances cooperate with the NDP

They did under Martin :shrug:

And yeah I know they also propped up Harper in a minority, but for all this thread's cynicism if they have a choice of the two I'd put money on them working with the NDP if only for Prime Minister Sunny Ways keeping up appearances and the fact they'd view them as less of a threat. Plus Singh's whole moving the party towards the middle.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

linoleum floors posted:

Yeah or we could just expect corporations to obey the law and prosecute them when they break it.

They can't even manage to prosecute the individuals that have been doing the bribing without having their case thrown out on grounds of the Jordan ruling. I'm sure they'll do a stellar job with a large corporation. :ironicat:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Outside of the Star are any Canadian media outlets really left leaning?

In the franco world, La Presse is generally left leaning, though they sometimes run more conservative op-eds because ~~gotta hear both sides~~.

e:

supersnowman posted:

My only question is why aren't we going after the decision makers who were in charge of it and had to approve of the bribery instead of the corporation as a whole?

Because we're too incompetent to prosecute them.

Jan fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 28, 2019

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It won’t matter since with the NDP cratering and a resurgent BQ the NDP wont hold enough seats to put a Liberal minority over the top.

Everything old is new again. Thanks LPC.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Pinterest Mom posted:

That'd encourage shareholders and boards to hire unscrupulous people, milk as much profit out of their illegal acts as possible, and have the people they hired remain holding the bag. Yo have to punish the corporation as well.

Hold Shareholders accountable

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

They did under Martin :shrug:

And yeah I know they also propped up Harper in a minority, but for all this thread's cynicism if they have a choice of the two I'd put money on them working with the NDP if only for Prime Minister Sunny Ways keeping up appearances and the fact they'd view them as less of a threat. Plus Singh's whole moving the party towards the middle.

Singh would remember he's the NDP leader just long enough to demand electoral reform as a condition for supporting a minority Liberal government, and Trudeau would go to whoever replaced Scheer instead.

Comedy option, Trudeau propped up by like 3 PPC MPs, with a confidence and supply arrangement predicated on dismantling supply management.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The Liberal's cyclical routine between disappointment and blatant corruption is right on schedule, I see.

gently caress.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

IDK, I think they're speedrunning this one. Usually they manage at least two elections before getting caught.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
If they had some really popular accomplishments to fall back on this wouldn't be nearly so bad for them. But they broke their promise on election reform, I don't think they've won very much praise from the way they've rolled out marijuana legalization, their NAFTA negotiations were underwhelming at best and they've managed to piss off both sides of the pipeline debate.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/02/liberals-suddenly-decide-proportional-representation-might-be-a-good-idea-after-all/

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Helsing posted:

If they had some really popular accomplishments to fall back on this wouldn't be nearly so bad for them. But they broke their promise on election reform, I don't think they've won very much praise from the way they've rolled out marijuana legalization, their NAFTA negotiations were underwhelming at best and they've managed to piss off both sides of the pipeline debate.

I feel like this is the reason why StatsCan suddenly declared child poverty is at it's lowest ever and Trudeau told everyone today that Canada is going to the moon

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Lmao they'll probably be like "if you vote us in again we double dog pinky swear to put in PR"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Lmao they'll probably be like "if you vote us in again we double dog pinky swear to put in PR"

Since they probably want to win the election, they won't associate themselves with proportional representation again.