Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CYBEReris posted:

the slice of life moments letting you see how the characters exist in a larger context than just your party and their immediate surroundings was a huge part of the appeal for me

I don't know if they really do that. "Quina sure loves to eat", "Steiner is a Dudley doright putz", "Dagger is inexperienced and unsure of herself", "Vivi wants to be a kid but scares people", and "Zidane wants to gently caress everything that moves, but has a heart of gold" is all stuff I already knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think I've added 9 to my "regret buying digitally" pile. The combat is either too slow normally or too fast in speed-up mode, and doesn't really do much for me anyway. So I tossed it on 9999 mode just to see the story, but even the story sort of just lies there. I'm just past the rainy city and introducing the next-tier villains (I assume), but man.

The whole thing, from the original game itself to the remake's improvements just seems so ... unambitious.

Two of my favorite games of all time are 6 and 10. And 5, 7, and 12 are all in my top 20. I consider myself a true fan of the series, but this one is actually just hard for me to like very much.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Wait -- how do you pronounce Pokemon Sword?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Huxley posted:

I think I've added 9 to my "regret buying digitally" pile. The combat is either too slow normally or too fast in speed-up mode, and doesn't really do much for me anyway. So I tossed it on 9999 mode just to see the story, but even the story sort of just lies there. I'm just past the rainy city and introducing the next-tier villains (I assume), but man.

The whole thing, from the original game itself to the remake's improvements just seems so ... unambitious.

Two of my favorite games of all time are 6 and 10. And 5, 7, and 12 are all in my top 20. I consider myself a true fan of the series, but this one is actually just hard for me to like very much.

Pump your breaks kid, that story is a national treasure.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man the OutRun version on the Switch might be the most definitive one, incredible work M2 did for this. I actually hope more stuff like Streets of Rage 2 get the deluxe treatment much like their 3DS versions. I don't even really want to get the Sega Collection since I've been spoiled by the 3DS work they did with all the little variables and modes you can tinker with. I'd suggest the same with Shining Force but after playing the GBA remake I can never go back to the awful translation/art of the Genesis version.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

"sword."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Volte posted:

I don't think coming through the other side of Mt Moon in Pokemon Blue would have felt as satisfying if it wasn't preceded by 20 minutes of getting pestered by Zubats. I always thought that post-annoying-area catharsis is a great feeling and any form of streamlining/QoL that gets rid of that is a mixed blessing at best IMO.

Hmm I think i'd rather just avoid the annoying thing in the first place. I think I enjoy that much more than the post-annoying-thing feeling!

Everyone always goes "but repels!" and I hate that because the way Let's Go handled it meant if I saw another Pokemon I was interested in, I could go after them while at the same time avoiding Zubats or whatever. In the main games, repels just keep ALL Pokemon away. Pokemon Go's way of doing it is better, and plus you actually get to see the Pokemon out in the world outside of cities and next to trainers. That was cool. It also made hunting for shinies feel better to me.

I mean I'm still gonna play the game cause it's loving Pokemon but I'm not happy with them still sticking to random encounters. And I assume if they didn't carry that over from Let's Go, they probably also aren't going to carry over being able to access your PC from anywhere

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i've never used a repel, feel free to ask me anything

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Huxley posted:

1) Don’t just keep the combat on one speed. Speed things up during downtime and switch it back to normal speed when stuff is actually happening so you can make decisions properly
2) You’re still very very early in the game

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

i've never used a repel, feel free to ask me anything

Where did you hide the bodies

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
How do you keep the cops away

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

How do you keep the cops away

uh i battle them??

i'm not a coward

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Well, I feel foolish

Wendell
May 11, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

man the OutRun version on the Switch might be the most definitive one, incredible work M2 did for this. I actually hope more stuff like Streets of Rage 2 get the deluxe treatment much like their 3DS versions. I don't even really want to get the Sega Collection since I've been spoiled by the 3DS work they did with all the little variables and modes you can tinker with. I'd suggest the same with Shining Force but after playing the GBA remake I can never go back to the awful translation/art of the Genesis version.

I assume you mean you prefer the GBA character portrait art style? I can understand that, but everything else about its visuals are much worse. Too big sprites, zoomed in camera, insanely washed out attack animations.

And why do you feel the translation was bad?

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
one thing you could do is have a representation of a pokemon to encounter out in the field, shuffling of the grass, silhouette in the water, etc..., and you can just avoid that while keeping the actual pokemon you encounter a surprise
Thatds my two $0.02 cents

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Doc M posted:

The way I understand it, Konami would've been legally allowed to use the theme but Kojima chose not to after he found out it had been plagiarized. Also, I always enjoyed seeing MGS fanboys go "Actually, the melody doesn't sound similar at all!" because it's not literally a 1:1 copy.

And speaking of plagiarism in Japanese video game music from the 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrFhD87di0I

What is this stolen from? I love Wild Arms music, I use this as my alarm every morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWgPX9yTtQg

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

Snezz

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ragequit posted:

What is this stolen from? I love Wild Arms music, I use this as my alarm every morning:
Parts of it are just straight-up "The Ecstasy of Gold" from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ

Still an awesome world map theme, though.

Mogki
Aug 2, 2016

Augus posted:

1) Don’t just keep the combat on one speed. Speed things up during downtime and switch it back to normal speed when stuff is actually happening so you can make decisions properly
2) You’re still very very early in the game

Also, remember that you can turn random battles off.
Helps quite a lot in some areas Desert Palace :argh:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Doc M posted:

Parts of it are just straight-up "The Ecstasy of Gold" from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly:

Also sounds like Gimme Gimme Gimme by ABBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL93BV9uTAM

Spellman
May 31, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

don't say s-word

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Doc M posted:

Holy smoke, that is identical.

I can forgive all if the Wild Arms series is revived.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Video game music, like all music, is usually derivative or at least inspired by prior music. It's dumb to think someone would listen to 1000 songs and then when told to produce something that sounds like those songs, they end up producing something that doesn't sound pretty much exactly like one of those songs.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I'd settle for a way to calibrate random encounters, like making dark type more likely or grass type less likely.

What I really want is a way to do something about trainer battles. I'm walking, I trigger one ... There's an exclamation mark, a slow walk to me, lines of dialogue, a battle transition to inform me that the hiker battling me is, in fact, a hiker battling me, and then we can actually fight. This gets old when there are 10 or 15 trainers, and is annoying when I've returned to an early game area to explore and have to swat down trainers that offer neither risk nor reward but are a huge waste of time. There must be a way to speed that up.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of games ripping off music. The dramatic moment when you fight Leviathan in FFXV had me laughing my arse off. It's the God drat Elder Scrolls. How brazen are you to rip off one of the most iconic video game themes of all time?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcp2OK2yeJk

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Think I want to pick up Mario Odyssey again

I know it doesn't make sense especially in this game but my usual habit with long-abandoned titles is to start over, if only to ease back into the expected difficulty

Wish more games had multiple save slots

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just make a new profile on your Switch.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Lodin posted:

Speaking of games ripping off music. The dramatic moment when you fight Leviathan in FFXV had me laughing my arse off. It's the God drat Elder Scrolls. How brazen are you to rip off one of the most iconic video game themes of all time?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcp2OK2yeJk

Oh yeah there's no way they did that by accident.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

American McGay posted:

Just make a new profile on your Switch.

Good idea! Turns out Odyssey has a Load Game buried in the options with multiple slots, according to the internet, so even better

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

omg chael crash posted:

Pokemons, word

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the deathmatch samurai is perfect for the switch

https://twitter.com/DramaticDDT/status/1101156082825732102

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Huxley posted:

Turning on 9999 mode makes it so you don't have to interact with the systems that tie back into the main theme of the game. It actually makes the story worse.

Although I do remember the story dragging in the beginning and picking up later. All of my memories of the game are the opening, black waltz fights, and things that happen much later. Need to play through it again, maybe after I polish off dragon quest builders.

Also I got a capture card and played DQB on a stream for some friends. I found the perfect defense for the chapter 3 town: https://clips.twitch.tv/AltruisticFastAsparagusSuperVinlin Zero blind spots, perfect defense.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Starlink is on sale again, along with everything ubi.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Turning on 9999 mode makes it so you don't have to interact with the systems that tie back into the main theme of the game. It actually makes the story worse.

Can you or someone elaborate?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Macaluso posted:

Hmm I think i'd rather just avoid the annoying thing in the first place. I think I enjoy that much more than the post-annoying-thing feeling!

Everyone always goes "but repels!" and I hate that because the way Let's Go handled it meant if I saw another Pokemon I was interested in, I could go after them while at the same time avoiding Zubats or whatever. In the main games, repels just keep ALL Pokemon away. Pokemon Go's way of doing it is better, and plus you actually get to see the Pokemon out in the world outside of cities and next to trainers. That was cool. It also made hunting for shinies feel better to me.

I mean I'm still gonna play the game cause it's loving Pokemon but I'm not happy with them still sticking to random encounters. And I assume if they didn't carry that over from Let's Go, they probably also aren't going to carry over being able to access your PC from anywhere
So...why not just play Let's Go? It's a different series with different design goals. You should be asking for more Let's Go games, not expecting that regular Pokemon games be changed. Accessing your PC from anywhere in particular is something that I specifically do not want, and I would be disappointed if they added it. That's something that would be cool on an optional Story Mode or NG+ or something, but picking your party and sticking with it until you get to the next town - or deciding if you want to swap in a newly caught Pokemon - is a core aspect of Pokemon games.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Volte posted:

So...why not just play Let's Go? It's a different series with different design goals. You should be asking for more Let's Go games, not expecting that regular Pokemon games be changed. Accessing your PC from anywhere in particular is something that I specifically do not want, and I would be disappointed if they added it. That's something that would be cool on an optional Story Mode or NG+ or something, but picking your party and sticking with it until you get to the next town - or deciding if you want to swap in a newly caught Pokemon - is a core aspect of Pokemon games.

What? No they're not. These are quality of life changes that streamline the experience and make everything less annoying. Going back to the PC all the time to swap your party around doesn't annoy you? Well, bully for you. It annoys me! Saying you would be disappointed if they added that feature to the main games is dumb. If you prefer to only swap your dudes out at Pokemon Centers, then do that! There's nothing stopping you from doing that.

Putting self-imposed limitations on yourself to make the game harder is a thing people have been doing in these games since forever. Just add one more to the pile.

Give me on-map encounters and let me access my PC from everywhere. And while we're at it let me take a Pokemon of my choice for walkies. These are all good features that should absolutely be part of the main series.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Over There posted:

Can you or someone elaborate?

The game's story is structured around each member of the party wrestling with the question of what a weapon is, what it means to be a weapon, and whether they are one. Vivi is by far the most obvious one of these, but all of them have it to an extent. The system of equipping items to learn the skill, and then discarding them afterwards feeds back into that question.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wendell posted:

I assume you mean you prefer the GBA character portrait art style? I can understand that, but everything else about its visuals are much worse. Too big sprites, zoomed in camera, insanely washed out attack animations.

And why do you feel the translation was bad?

yeah the portrait art is my main thing, everything else from the original was good.

The new translation actually adds story beats that were not done in the original i.e. Kane's relationship to Max which for some reason had been left out of the original + adds backstories to all the characters when you talk to them in the base.

Also personal preference but I liked how Hanzo/Musashi got recruited earlier in the new version, as they arrived way too late in the original.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

SelenicMartian posted:

Starlink is on sale again, along with everything ubi.

Nice. Deluxe is only $39 compared to $29 digital. Guess I'm buying the whole thing for only $10 difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Give me on-map encounters and let me access my PC from everywhere. And while we're at it let me take a Pokemon of my choice for walkies. These are all good features that should absolutely be part of the main series.

Walking the routes/gyms/buildings without being able to change your pokemon is absolutely a core part of the gameplay. If you could just swap through an endless supply of pokemon in your PC, then there's zero challenge. Not that pokemon is particularly challening to begin with, but the entire point of having a team of 6 is so that you have SOME sort of limitation, otherwise why have a PC at all, just make your party infinite. Managing health and status on a set number of pokemon is way more interesting than having an endless supply of fodder to throw at battles.