Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

bewbies posted:

The question wasn't would the Virginia change the eventual outcome of the war (it wouldn't)

anyway, I'll parrot some of the arguments from the navy guys

There are two ways the IJN might consider using Virginia. One is to sink a bunch of tankers as they transit from Pearl and the West Coast, the other is to go after the heart of the 5th Fleet. My feeling is they'd almost certainly do the latter - even if all 50-60 torpedoes sink a tanker, that's probably like 6 months worth of shipbuilding in 1945 America.

I was joking when I was talking about the Japanese using the Virginia as a kamikaze but there is a serious point - the rot in the Japanese higher command was pretty severe at this point. So assuming what the IJN *would* do in 1945 to equal what they *should* do is a dubious assumption. The scenario says the Japanese are taught how to crew the submarine. It does not say that Japanese high command are replaced with rational actors.

Also note that all the Japanese naval codes are broken at this point and the Japanese need not know this. So there's a high chance that the US will know *exactly* what's going on.

It's by no means a certainty, but there's a lot of possibility for the submarine to be just lost due to a mistake or incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Ok, what would the Romans do with a working nuclear sub? How would that delay the fall?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Even if they get the Virginia in 1941 the Japanese Naval Command is still not going to send it after tankers. They absolutely send it after capital ships, maybe even battleships to the exclusion of carriers as prestige targets.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if it's during the first punic war they don't get their rear end handed to them on the water

although to be honest a WWII sub with a deck gun is probably more useful in the Republican era Med

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

bewbies posted:

Halsey/Nimitz... didn't know the atomic bombs were on the way.

That's an interesting topic I'd never thought about. Did Nimitz know before August 6th? At what point did who know what about the bomb's existence?

Truman hadn't been told while he was vice-president.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What's the biggest ship the Virginia can sustainably sink by ramming? You could park it outside some logistics hub (Noumea?) and torp everything too big to ram.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

They could send the Virginia after the USS Quincy en route to the Yalta conference.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

What's the biggest ship the Virginia can sustainably sink by ramming? You could park it outside some logistics hub (Noumea?) and torp everything too big to ram.

Did the upgrade from the Los Angeles class move it beyond Japanese fishing vessels?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

To piggyback off this hypothetical, how would an Aegis cruiser (Arleigh Burke class) for either the IJN, or the USN have changed the war at say Midway

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What would the Virginia hypothetically have been able to do if it sailed to the United States? Could its torpedoes be used to fire on shipyards or dry docks to try and disable them?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

They could blow up the submarine as a dirty bomb in LA...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Honestly if Japan found themselves with a nearly undetectable, unlimited range submarine with giant fuckoff torpedoes, there's no way they wouldn't find some way to try and gently caress up the Panama Canal. It probably wouldn't even be effective, but that's what they'd do.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

aphid_licker posted:

the submarine-as-nuclear-torpedo is definitely a one and done thing, there's a lot of important fancy fragile stuff in the nose. so, pick your target carefully

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They'd hoist the whole submarine out of the water and mount it on the Yamato.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

They'd hoist the whole submarine out of the water and mount it on the Yamato.

wasn't it already sunk by then?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Tythas posted:

Hoist the entire Yamato out of the ocean floor and turn it into a space battleship first, then slap on the Virginia class sub.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bewbies posted:

the submarine-as-nuclear-torpedo is definitely a one and done thing, there's a lot of important fancy fragile stuff in the nose. so, pick your target carefully

How close could it conceivably get to government stuff in Washington DC?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean the correct answer is that they park permamently somewhere over the telegraph cable between Hawaii and the Mainland and intercept everything but again, there's no option for the Japanese High Command that will trump chasing capital ships to sink.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Tythas posted:

It was not! Yamato went down in April of '45.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

An ordinance-less Virginia class could still go around finding, ramming and sinking US subs of the era, couldn't it? I dunno if US naval doctrine incorporated sub ops with carrier groups, or if US subs were doing anything critically important in 1945 so maybe that matter much.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Open this can of worms a bit more, the Virginias all carry a small complement of Tomahawks, something like 12.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

How close could it conceivably get to government stuff in Washington DC?

Not very, they had sub nets and mines and all that. Also to be clear I don't actually think that they could actually blow up the reactor and create any meaningful destruction, I just like the poetry of using your multi billion dollar submarine in a kamikaze attack once the torpedoes are gone.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

An ordinance-less Virginia class could still go around finding, ramming and sinking US subs of the era, couldn't it?

I'd think it would end up damaging itself.

A WWII US Sub had a pressure hull that's 7/8" high tensile steel. It's not a battleship, but I think deliberately ramming it could cause problems for a submarine that isn't really designed for that sort of thing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alchenar posted:

Even if they get the Virginia in 1941 the Japanese Naval Command is still not going to send it after tankers. They absolutely send it after capital ships, maybe even battleships to the exclusion of carriers as prestige targets.

I think this depends on who gets to order it around and who is commanding it. Yamamoto probably would have gone after carriers and supply lines but someone in the "gently caress naval aviation" side of the IJN probably would have gone after gunboats specifically thinking it would cripple the US fleets.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

I'd think it would end up damaging itself.

A WWII US Sub had a pressure hull that's 7/8" high tensile steel. It's not a battleship, but I think deliberately ramming it could cause problems for a submarine that isn't really designed for that sort of thing.

I know I tend to underestimate the technology of WWII era and overestimate modern tech so please forgive me if I'm way off, but is it not true that a Virginia has far superior detection and maneuverability than the subs of the era? I just wonder how they could leverage that against contemporary subs to gently caress them up. Find them, and I dunno, position themselves above and then with the weight of the sub, force them down below crush depth?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Tythas posted:

To piggyback off this hypothetical, how would an Aegis cruiser (Arleigh Burke class) for either the IJN, or the USN have changed the war at say Midway

Whichever side gets it wins handily, being able to shoot down every plane that came in range of the carriers that day without even troubling the CAP. If Japan gets it the US just builds a bunch more carriers and wins the war. If the US get it they don't have to build one more carrier but do so anyway and win the war.

One Shot Superweapon hypotheticals are boring. Wars generally don't work like that.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

Find them, and I dunno, position themselves above and then with the weight of the sub, force them down below crush depth?

I don't even know how that would work. How would the Virginia secure itself on top of the WWII sub and force it down without severely damaging itself at the same time? (Edit: Or having the other sub just drive out from under it?) It doesn't have grappling hooks or...

(It's a Warhammer thing, claws that let spaceships giant flying cathedrals grapple each other.)

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 28, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1100922052272447488

What warplane would you name your child after

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

zoux posted:

I’m sure there must be at least a dozen Florida men named mustang

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

zoux posted:

Ling Temco Vought Corsair the Second

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

zoux posted:

Rafale or Gripen for sure , also the names sound more normal than all the others

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cessna posted:

(It's a Warhammer thing, claws that let spaceships giant flying cathedrals grapple each other.)

Hey now, that was a thing fitted on one ship. :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Peashooter.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Super Tomcat

Or...

MIG

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

sullat posted:

Ok, what would the Romans do with a working nuclear sub? How would that delay the fall?

How many legionaires could you fit inside a Los Angeles class sub for boarding operations?

zoux posted:

Mörkö-Morane

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
"Blackburn Firebrand" would be a pretty good name for a heavy metal guitarist, actually

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe this Virginia derail went on for as long as it did.

What would happen if you dropped a space marine into Berlin in 1945?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh also jeers to all the twitter people for the last two days who have been scaring me with poo poo like "India/Pakistan teeters on a knife's-edge, with global apocalypse almost a certainty" for the last two days for retweets.

Like "Oh I know you're paying attention to Cohen/NK Summit/Whatever but don't ignore the fact that we're about to see how much ecological damage a limited nuke exchange can do", dude, what is my personal attention to a complex situation I don't know the first loving thing about supposed to accomplish besides more gray hairs for me.

Saint Celestine posted:

I can't believe this Virginia derail went on for as long as it did.

What would happen if you dropped a space marine into Berlin in 1945?

Soviet or US aligned?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

zoux posted:

"Say Dad, how did Rose get her name?"

"Well, your mother loved roses, so when she was born it was a natural fit."

"Ah, cool, thanks."

"No problem, North American B-25J Mitchell."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
(Steps into the office of Hawker Hunter, private investigator)