Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I’ve taken to ordering my PBandai stuff from https://www.jojohobbynstuff.com/

Weird name and the site is a super generic Shopify, but prices are reasonable, reliable, responsive people. Also runs a monthly loot box that’s actually a good value for the money, if you can get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I made a robot

https://imgur.com/a/UYszmDa

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Thanks for all the help folks!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

EVGA Longoria posted:

I’ve taken to ordering my PBandai stuff from https://www.jojohobbynstuff.com/

Weird name and the site is a super generic Shopify, but prices are reasonable, reliable, responsive people. Also runs a monthly loot box that’s actually a good value for the money, if you can get it.

Their loot box is pretty drat good too if you can get it before it sells out, they do not short change you on the contents. It usually goes on sale around the 25th of the month.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Azubah posted:

Their loot box is pretty drat good too if you can get it before it sells out, they do not short change you on the contents. It usually goes on sale around the 25th of the month.

Yeah, I keep forgetting so I get it just about every other month. Usually around when I order a P-Bandai item.

My February box still hasn't shipped though. Waiting to hear something. Also still waiting for my lucky bag from Banzai Hobby.

I have a lot of unknown Gunpla headed my way right now.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

RillAkBea posted:

The Jegan Blast Master from Build Divers has an updated joint. It's somewhere on this page

http://schizophonic9.com/re4/hgbd_blast.html

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is you'll have to either use the Blast Master's hip joint, or saw off the balls on the Jegan's groin hip piece and replace them with the pegs from the Blast Master's.

Edit: I tell a lie; A quick look at the instructions for both kits on Dalong shows the hip joint should be perfectly interchangeable.

I can scratchbuild it, no need to sacrifice a good kit. I just need a wave builders part or MSG equivalent socket. I'm also going to saw off the top portion of that thigh joint just to gain 360° mobility

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Seeing the vagina reminds me of how small the Den An series would be on a 1/144 scale, but I won't lose hope.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I put together the MG Strike RM today and despite the fact that Aile is probably my least favorite striker pack, I really enjoyed it. It was mostly the same as the Buster I put together last week of course, but the head sculp is really nice. It was also nice that they gave you a Mu pilot figure if you didn't want to use you know who.

God drat Aile pack though, why does it always have to be Aile.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RillAkBea posted:

God drat Aile pack though, why does it always have to be Aile.

Because Aile is the most iconic/used striker pack, plus it also gives Strike the beam rifle and shield which is the standard Lead Gundam weaponry.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

StabMasterArson posted:

This looks awesome, making me want an airbrush.
Just finished this marshmellow man:

Thanks! So far I have no idea what I'm doing and the parts to that sat around for the better part of a year because I was too unmotivated to finish it, but when the painting part worked, it worked well. Still a lot to learn.

Nice panel lining on your legs, I always have trouble with recesses and solid lines.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Goodsmile could teach Bandai a lesson in plastic composition. The Moderoid Rk-92 Savage Crossbow has plastic that yields with absolutely supple, smooth shaves with a sharp blade. It feels like it's impossible to stress the plastic while shaving nubs down.

Using a fresh blade is probably helpful but a 2-day old scalpel blade would easily compare to a 2-day old Xacto blade with similar use.

They even got the forearms as single parts. C'mon, Bandai, give us single part extrusion

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Conversely please go back to old style PS formula and not that godawful wax plastic that is a nightmare to prep and sand.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

MJP posted:

They even got the forearms as single parts. C'mon, Bandai, give us single part extrusion

Single parts extrusion is great, but I can see a lot of pieces go missing in shipping unless they're all bagged up.

It probably makes more sense as a cost reduction to just bag up runners rather than separate parts for each kits.

Give me undergates on all parts and now we're talking.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

So this thing looks absolutely amazing. It's apparently a Studio Reckless resin kit of the Messer? Has anyone built their stuff before?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

It looks like the lovechild of the Sazabi and the Geara Doga.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

Yeah, I have the YF-31J in 35th anniversary colours and it's solid. Lots of stickers. I wouldn't want to change its form more than a few times just to be safe but it's not like it's a plastic hand grenade.

I completely missed you asking about the VF-1 specifically, no, I dunno what it's like but if it's from the same line as the YF-31J it should be decent

I’m in the middle of building a VF-1 at the moment and it’s been fine so far, although can get a bit fiddly. It’s an odd size though -basically PG scale, but not much taller than a 1/144 kit, and slightly harder than an RG (in my opinion at least).

Haven’t tried the form change yet; most of the core joins are metal pins, but some of the smaller bits have very fragile-feeling joins. The transform gimmick means the whole thing doesn’t feel quite as sturdy as other kits.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Man, I was excited for that "30 minute build" grunt suit range because it's a great idea, but those suit designs really are incredibly ugly. It's like they're made out of Megablox.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I think the true potential of the line is to be able to salvage spare joints for your gunpla scratchbuild projects.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Odd question, but if I were to want to use copper wire in a kitbash for a "beam" grappling line effect, for pose-ability, do they sell the stuff with translucent insulation? Thinking clear green or pink.

I feel like I could find fishing line like this but that's not going to hold a pose or shape like the wires do in kits like the Gouf or the Dark Hound. I haven't tried anything custom before so if there might just be some place for neat parts like this sitting under my nose.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
If it's going to be a static pose, you could probably just paint it once you have the shape you like.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

The closest I could get searching was insulated speaker wire. The thing is that kind of wire, although insulated in different colors, isn't tense enough for the grappling part effect you seek. Brass wire on the other hand, is much tougher and can hold a pose, but it doesn't come in insulation; you'd have to remove the plastic sheath off the speaker wire, then manually transfer it to the brass wire. It does sound like a cool project. (maybe there is some tough wire with clear color insulation out there though, don't take my word)

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Puddin posted:

If it's going to be a static pose, you could probably just paint it once you have the shape you like.

I've considered this and it's definitely a great fallback. It wouldn't be clear which is a bummer but is the next best thing.

Ka0 posted:

The closest I could get searching was insulated speaker wire. The thing is that kind of wire, although insulated in different colors, isn't tense enough for the grappling part effect you seek. Brass wire on the other hand, is much tougher and can hold a pose, but it doesn't come in insulation; you'd have to remove the plastic sheath off the speaker wire, then manually transfer it to the brass wire. It does sound like a cool project. (maybe there is some tough wire with clear color insulation out there though, don't take my word)

Sometimes the obscurity of what I am looking for on search engines gets kind of funny like this, searching "kitbash scale model custom wire" and things like that keep dredging up strange CAD 3d model tutorials and industrial wire for car batteries. I'll check out speaker wire, it sounds out of my wheelhouse but that's the fun thing about these projects anyhow.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's just plain clear. I don't know if it would be possible to dye it or stain it or something

https://www.amazon.com/Weststone-32...s%2C192&sr=8-21

edit: and in more reasonable lengths

https://www.amazon.com/100pcs-12-7c...8G4BG0X8WR9DZNZ

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I have no idea how well it would work, but maybe you could coat the wire with multiple layers of clear coat nail polish, followed by a final thin coat of the color you want (especially if you use an iridescent or something similar).

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Zodack posted:

Odd question, but if I were to want to use copper wire in a kitbash for a "beam" grappling line effect, for pose-ability, do they sell the stuff with translucent insulation? Thinking clear green or pink.

I feel like I could find fishing line like this but that's not going to hold a pose or shape like the wires do in kits like the Gouf or the Dark Hound. I haven't tried anything custom before so if there might just be some place for neat parts like this sitting under my nose.

Another possibility is to use the runners from beam effects. You can melt, bend, and merge them with a bic lighter.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Gripweed posted:

There's just plain clear. I don't know if it would be possible to dye it or stain it or something

https://www.amazon.com/Weststone-32...s%2C192&sr=8-21

edit: and in more reasonable lengths

https://www.amazon.com/100pcs-12-7c...8G4BG0X8WR9DZNZ

Maybe a clear heat shrink, then hit it with some clear Tamiya to give it a tint?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I saw a video a while ago of someone using hot glue to make custom beam effects, but I doubt it'd be very pose-able and you'd probably have to put a wire in it to make it hold it's shape. Also paint it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So I actually made something:

I had a 1/60 scale Tactical Arms just lying around, so I figured i'd finally use it to make my version of Monster Hunter World's Great Sword (and my primary weapon), Wyvern Ignition Impact.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Nice!

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Any advice for stiffening up the RG shield joint, or is it just "give up, hard glue it at whatever angle you want"?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Clear nail polish or a coat of cement over the joint. Let it dry completely before refitting and it should be nice and tight.

Applies to any joints or connectors that are loose.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I don't see how I can disassemble this. It's one of the pieces that came on the preassembled inner frame runner, and pulling at it a bit I think if I actually managed to get it apart it wouldn't be in any condition to go back together.

Maybe I'm wrong, idk.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Right so Astaroth!

I hate it!

Compared to the Gusion this thing is flimsy as hell and putting it together was a struggle.

The arm cover falls off with a stiff breeze, I finally got mad enough to just glue the thing in place.

The side fins don't fully insert onto to their nubs, I could fix this with some cutting but I'm lazy.

Speaking of cutting, the black plastic is SUPER soft. The Gusion was all grey interior and I wasn't expecting WHOOPS you cut too close now there's a chunk missing(it also scratches super easy), noted for the future because a previous post brought this up as a thing that happens.

The chest hovers over the interior making me paranoid it will snap off when I move something wrong.

OH! Moving! Right! There is ONE pose I got to work with the sword without the arms popping out from their sockets.

The leg panels took 20 minutes to get on because of how tight the fit was and how flimsily the back of the leg was attached to the leg itself(it wasn't).

Hoofa! The look isn't bad but it needs a stand for a good pose, it's just not very fun to have it wobble like a wet noodle all the time. I'd rate it about a 6.5/10 as a whole.

I'd give the Gusion a 9/10, it was super fun to build, if it wasn't for the interior arm having that crack which is fixable to a non lazy person I'd rate it 9.5/10, I was actually able to get a couple good poses with the hammer and the third hand it comes with is wonderful.

(Gusion now with 100% more panel lining)

I need a new thing now, leaning far away from the IBO line with the Astaroth and Barbatos like frames. Anyone got a recommendation for a nice sturdy beefy boy like the Gusion? Maybe I'll even use real paint this time!

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 6, 2019

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I don't see how I can disassemble this. It's one of the pieces that came on the preassembled inner frame runner, and pulling at it a bit I think if I actually managed to get it apart it wouldn't be in any condition to go back together.

Maybe I'm wrong, idk.

Which RG is it?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Puddin posted:

Which RG is it?

Red Frame.

I guess I could just swipe one of the unused shield connecters from another RG and deal with the mismatched color.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Red Frame.

I guess I could just swipe one of the unused shield connecters from another RG and deal with the mismatched color.

I actually have that one to build, I'll I have a look at it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

I need a new thing now, leaning far away from the IBO line with the Astaroth and Barbatos like frames. Anyone got a recommendation for a nice sturdy beefy boy like the Gusion? Maybe I'll even use real paint this time!

There's the Gustav Karl that just came out. It's pretty bulky.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

chiasaur11 posted:

My usual shipper doesn't have it until late march, adding it to the list.

Edit: Alright found something I'll actually put effort into. Still taking suggestions though.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 6, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

After watching Mecha Gaikotsu's review of the Gustav I'm a little wary of it. It looks like it has some decent engineering but there are some questionable choices around the shoulder assembly. Instead of a polycap socket it's just plastic on plastic and it looks really loose, and the shoulder pads are not on a separate hinge so they really seem to impede arm movements.

The best high grade shoulder assembly is the one they used on the EZ-8 and the victory 1 and 2 suits. Dual hinges for extra movement. If they coupled those types of shoulders with the new connecting joints in the chest of the Gustav Karl it could swing its entire arm across its chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Red Frame.

Part B3 from the runner yeah? Looks like the same one that's on the RG Freedom, I tried to separate it at the hinge but it ain't budging.

I mis-understood and thought you were talking about the ball join where it attaches to the arm.

The shield should be sturdy if it has the handle that goes in the hand, but it will move around without it.