Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Pro tip: I know you’re anxious but don’t google “When will Sex Criminals be released.”

The first... 2, maybe 3, volumes were fun and cool and good. Somewhere around 3 and onwards it just started spinning its wheels and going nowhere. I think it’s a fun premise and there’s some really good fun in the earlier issues but eh I could do without an adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I haven’t actually checked in a while, is it on hiatus now that Zdarsky is Marvel exclusive?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

Also LOL that level of shooting happening in the streets for that long and the NYPD not rolling up and vaporizing everyone in like one minute flat.

This is the Person of Interest problem, there’s only so many massive gun battles one can have in Manhattan/Brooklyn before the actual army shows up. They should have just done Punisher S2 in wherever they started out but I’m not Netflix/Disney’s tax credit consultant.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

This is the Person of Interest problem, there’s only so many massive gun battles one can have in Manhattan/Brooklyn before the actual army shows up. They should have just done Punisher S2 in wherever they started out but I’m not Netflix/Disney’s tax credit consultant.

All of the punisher was filmed in the tax credit zone, except the highway stuff which was in super tax credit zone

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

qirex posted:

One of the many reasons moving the show to NYC was a problem. That shootout would have played much better in a small town ill equipped to deal with it like they showed in the police station. Punisher S2 just kind of got...boring and I never finished it. Boring was the last thing I expected.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I'm 4 episodes in and I laughed so hard at the reveal that Billy has like, 4 very well healed scars, and everyone acts like they're on the verge of vomiting when they look at him. Anyone else remember that disfigured Cody Rhodes arc WWE had a few years ago? It just made me think of that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I said it earlier, but they didn't have to go full gross out scars for him like they did in the War Zone movie, but hell, he's called "Jigsaw" for a reason, and that is because his scars are supposed to connect to look like his face had been reassembled. They've could've done the scars like The Bride of Frankenstein and it still would've worked.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Ah but they covered their bases! See it's his mind that's like a jigsaw. It's metaphorical (and stupid).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Ah but they covered their bases! See it's his mind that's like a jigsaw. It's metaphorical (and stupid).

That would have worked if they hadn't had everyone who looked at him reacting as if he looked like Freddy Krueger. If they'd just played up his vanity angle and had him basically looking like he does but when he looked in the mirror he saw Harvey Dent there might have been something to play off of and work with. The whole second season was a waste of good performances drug down by bullshit motivation and an unneeded move to New York.

After the first couple of episodes I kept asking myself why Frank gave a poo poo about the teenage girl, especially without even at least scaring her loving story out of her. I can fit the pieces together and know that it's a "my wife and my kids" situation but the series never SHOWED us any of that. The preacher assassin guy could have been cool too but they just left all these story telling beats dying on the vine. Nobody had much of a reason to be as passionate about anything they were doing except maybe Madani and they wasted her arc too.

It started off OK but each episode got progressively worse to the point that half way through I simply didn't give a poo poo and doubt I'll ever finish it. Berenthal is great and there's really not a weak link in the cast but, man, just some bad writing.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's a Hollywood production where pretty, tall people pretend to be ugly, grizzled, and/or poor.

I had more issues with the pacing (again) than I did caring about bad makeup. Watching without my glasses on probably helped admittedly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Billy’s entire season would have been redeemed if he had tried to hide out in the burn ward and one of the patients wakes up and goes “ah you lucky prick” and goes back to motioning themselves.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I do like the poetry of the complete and total shittiness of ALL the scarring this season

jigsaw

and we've all laughed at this by now

Netflix Marvel just exists in a world where this is the absolute pinnacle of injury

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
It's weird how Marvel started to stumble so hard with their TV shows

I mean there was so much potential there a while ago

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Collapsing Farts posted:

It's weird how Marvel started to stumble so hard with their TV shows

I mean there was so much potential there a while ago

They put Jeph Loeb in charge of it all.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Flatscan posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Loeb was a producer/writer on the TV series Smallville and Lost, writer for the films Commando and Teen Wolf, and a writer and co-executive producer on the NBC TV show Heroes from its premiere in 2006 to November 2008.

Yeah, that explains it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jesus Christ what a cursed resume

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Remember when they hired Scott Buck to run Iron Fist and it was such a success they gave him Inhumans

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
I watched a bunch of Emerald City to try and find out if Amber Revah can ever speak up and it turns out that she can't and also that Emerald City is bad, but if DOnofrio keeps getting work then I guess I'm good with it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BiggerBoat posted:

One of the many reasons moving the show to NYC was a problem. That shootout would have played much better in a small town ill equipped to deal with it like they showed in the police station. Punisher S2 just kind of got...boring and I never finished it. Boring was the last thing I expected.

Boring was how I felt about S1. I quit after episode 5.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Flatscan posted:

I was about to say that he couldn’t have had that much control over the shows since I don’t remember any character named Sam, but then I remembered the FBI Agent’s son in DD S3.

Vvv Jeph Loeb has been in charge of Marvel’s TV efforts since the beginning.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 26, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flatscan posted:

Does this also apply to Daredevil Season 1 vs Season 2? Because Season 2 just felt all over the place, and didn't have anything approaching the coherent plot progression of Season 1.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Since there doesn't seem to be a thread, I tossed on Umbrella Academy. Well I still think it has next to nothing to do with the comics in tone or visuals, but I'm only 40 minutes into the first ep.

Last page was right though, soundtrack is really good. So even if I get bored of watching, rockin' tunes will fill the space.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Jigsaw’s reveal was possibly the biggest disappointment in marvel history

They didn’t even make an attempt, just threw on some fake scars and called it a day

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Ytlaya posted:

Does this also apply to Daredevil Season 1 vs Season 2? Because Season 2 just felt all over the place, and didn't have anything approaching the coherent plot progression of Season 1.

Season 1 had Steven DeKnight, who did Spartacus (which you really need to watch if you haven't, the first three episodes are rough but once you get to episode 4 it starts to fire on all cylinders).

And I still think the makeup people ran out of the liquid scar stuff they use to pinch the skin after the first couple brushes on Jigsaw, and since they were about to film and couldn't order another bottle they said "screw it, good enough."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Chokes McGee posted:

Jigsaw’s reveal was possibly the biggest disappointment in marvel history

They didn’t even make an attempt, just threw on some fake scars and called it a day

As soon as I saw he wasn’t a scarred freak, I lost all interest in season 2.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Flatscan posted:

Jeph Loeb is the weirdest loving thing - in my mind he's in the same tier as Chuck Austen but he still gets work. His Ultimates run should've ended his career (even if Mark Millar's stuff has largely aged terribly). It's like everyone knows the death of his son ruined him but they didn't want to push him out because it would be too heartless but he's been running roughshod for over a decade and a half since. It's loving frustrating.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

As Nero Danced posted:

And I still think the makeup people ran out of the liquid scar stuff they use to pinch the skin after the first couple brushes on Jigsaw, and since they were about to film and couldn't order another bottle they said "screw it, good enough."

I think his scars around his hairline change all during the season as well. It's really weird.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Completely failing to make a villain called "Jigsaw" into a scarred mess (who has the defining physical trait of being scarred and disfigured and carrying a lot of animosity towards Punisher because of it) really shows that the people in charge of the show either don't give a poo poo or don't get it at all. It's just so weak

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
On Jeph Loeb it always reminds me about the story of the background to an episode of friends where Phoebe believes her dead mother is in her cat.

The only reason that episode was made was the writers mother had passed away with the story dedicated to her and they were too nervous to say it was terrible and should've been discarded so they made it.

That's what happened here but replace episode with the entire tv network, and executive producer on the mcu movies for reasons.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Double posted

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

Completely failing to make a villain called "Jigsaw" into a scarred mess (who has the defining physical trait of being scarred and disfigured and carrying a lot of animosity towards Punisher because of it) really shows that the people in charge of the show either don't give a poo poo or don't get it at all. It's just so weak

I think the intent was to not go too heavy on it so that you could see the Acting. As opposed to Punisher Warzone Jigsaw, who is an R-rated muppet.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
You can go heavy and show off acting, John Hurt in The Elephant Man comes to mind but just in superheroes you have Aaron Eckhart in The Dark Knight or even Josh Brolin in Infinity War.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lid posted:

You can go heavy and show off acting, John Hurt in The Elephant Man comes to mind but just in superheroes you have Aaron Eckhart in The Dark Knight or even Josh Brolin in Infinity War.

I mean I don't really want to defend the decision because I hate what they did with this Jigsaw, but that's what I imagine the intent was.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Both of the characters you mentioned were heavy CGI, not just make-up, which is a large piece of it. That's $$$ that I'm guessing nobody wanted to throw into a doomed show.

Also, dude playing Russo isn't on the Josh Brolin/Aaron Eckhart character actor level, so there's that.

I mean I definitely agree the result sucked but they were doing what they could, I think.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I mean, here's the first image you get when you google Marvel Jigsaw. A design like this would in no way impede any acting. Simple, but an effective design.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The fact is simply that Russo is still basically the hottest guy in the room in every single scene he is in.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
one of those creepy milky dead eyes would probably have been fine with the scarring he had in the show. just SOMETHING, anything more than what they went with

Serf
May 5, 2011

the show jigsaw wishes he had 1/10 the presence of warzone jigsaw

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Davros1 posted:

I mean, here's the first image you get when you google Marvel Jigsaw. A design like this would in no way impede any acting. Simple, but an effective design.

SMH, they were too lazy to even run a sewing machine over his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I think it's time to change the thread topic.

"gently caress you, Netflix and gently caress off Disney" is too on the nose but, as it's officially over, a change might be warranted.