Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

The giants scored the most points in the nfc east this season.

Many people get caught up in the "eli sucks" hysteria and forget that the real reason the giants won 5 games is because their defense is really, really bad.

They absolutely need to look for a qb of the future but they also need to add about 5 new starters on defense and 2 new offensive linemen. If they can do half of that in one offseason I'd be pretty satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Have the Giants just drafted busts on D in the last few years or have they just not matured enough yet? I know Apple looked like a huge bust.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

Have the Giants just drafted busts on D in the last few years or have they just not matured enough yet? I know Apple looked like a huge bust.

Jerry Reese invested more high picks in offensive skill positions and OL over the past 5ish years. Some of them were homeruns like odell, others pretty good but not gamebreakers (sterling Shepard), and others who are just straight up wasted first rounders due to injury (David Wilson) or being awful players that anyone could've seen from a mile away (ereck flowers)

They hit big on Justin tuck as a tweener rusher way back when and Reese was banking on striking gold again with spending constant 2nd/3rd rounders on prospects who fell for similar reasons to tuck. All of them sucked.

They've hit on a few defenders in the first 2 rounds and passed on trying to re-sign almost all of them for various reasons.

Linval Joseph, offered a massive contract by the Vikings that the giants weren't willing to match, but he's probably been worth it.

JPP, well, we all know what happened there.

Prince amukamara is a good player but is always injured. Now he lives on one to two year deals because that's the rep he has around the league, but when he's healthy, he's good.

And Johnathan Hankins was a similar deal to linval Joseph, paid a ton while not being as good of a player. Maybe he's been worth it for Indy? I don't really know.

Eli apple sucks rear end and I'm glad he's gone.

Now they have to make a similar decision with Landon Collins, who has ranged from DPOY candidate to average over his first few years.

Tl;Dr not investing high picks in d, not re-signing most of the ones who do hit, injuries to the good vets both during play and self inflicted by firework

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Foles on the Giants is going to hurt to watch.

they'll keep him tagged rather than let him go to the Giants

e: or they should, at least. they were already prepared to sink 20m into him this year, another 4-5 to keep him from a division rival seems like a fair price. they'd trade him by camp anyway

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Haven't seen an 8ball jacket in some rime. Are they making a comeback?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Let’s put NWP and that guy who actually got upset that I called Dan Snyder a bad owner and proceeded to white knight him over a few posts in a battle

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

is that kanye west?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Bananana posted:

is that kanye west?

I can't believe this

it's The Answer

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

What they should've done is pipe Romo's voice directly to the captain of the defense. Any idiot can read coverages, but successfully predicting the incoming play is a rarer talent. Think about the success Luke Kuechly has had, primarily just by using his head. Romo could turn your second year linebacker into a Luke Kuechly

Iodised QQ posted:

Eli apple sucks rear end and I'm glad he's gone.

Worth pointing out, though, that Apple started the rest of the year for the Saints and pretty much instantly looked better than he ever did in New York. Come to think of it, that tends to happen a lot when guys leave the Giants

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1098300267848744960

Kind of surprised to see Dak above Nick, but it was pretty close.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Play posted:

What they should've done is pipe Romo's voice directly to the captain of the defense. Any idiot can read coverages, but successfully predicting the incoming play is a rarer talent. Think about the success Luke Kuechly has had, primarily just by using his head. Romo could turn your second year linebacker into a Luke Kuechly

The mics cut out with 15 seconds left on the play clock, so offenses typically don't show their hand until then for precisely that reason.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Vengarr posted:

The mics cut out with 15 seconds left on the play clock, so offenses typically don't show their hand until then for precisely that reason.

Romo routinely predicts plays before the team has even broken the huddle. Also, it's becoming more common for offenses to do the same thing, get to the line early so the play caller can make adjustments. In those cases it would work, more or less.

Failing that, Romo would perform interpretive dances on the sideline, cluing in the defense via various specific moves linked to play types

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

axeil posted:

I dunno, if they get a QB this year and finally put Eli out to pasture I think they could be pretty decent. With essentially no passing game they still performed pretty well on offense this season.

Eh I guess maybe saying the giants will be terrible for a long time is hyperbole (hyperbole from a giants fan on this forum, shocking!) but I really think even if they get a good QB they'll still be pretty limited.
There are excellent pieces on the giants but they really lack depth. Most of their rotational players, especially on defense, are not NFL caliber players and haven't been for a while. They papered over the cracks with that huge free agency that Jerry did when he was trying to save his job, but now the problem is even worse. Even if the giants had a great draft/free agency I don't think it's possible to be consistently competitive when the majority of your roster is underwhelming at best. Compounding the problem is that the owner has essentially pressured the front office to kick the can down the road on a rebuild for several years and now the giants are pretty far behind.

I could see them competing for the division if they manage to hit on a QB, but I'm not expecting much more than that over the course of the next few years.

troofs fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 22, 2019

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I think Romo as head coach for cowboys would Own?.. would it? it..erm yes...

it would own.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

he doesn’t want to work for Jerry like that, he’s too smart

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
He's making a poo poo load of money right now and has no backlash to it, if he works for the Cowboys and they lose, people will start blaming him at some point again. Why would he want to do that? On top of that, he sounds like he's really enjoying being a commentator.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
This is the first time Romo has been universally loved.

Even Eagles fans are okay with him.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

89 posted:

This is the first time Romo has been universally loved.

Even Eagles fans are okay with him.

I don't think anyone can hate Romo now. If they do it's a solid litmus test for assholes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Romo was awesome when he played, too :ssh:

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Mr. Nice! posted:

ROMO SUCKS TONY HOMO

I always gave him more props than Cowboys fans seemed to give him at the time.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/TSteegeNFL/status/1092943862044155904

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Yeah other NFC East fans seemed to like Romo way more than actual Cowboys fans did. It was odd.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

:mcnabb:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
nick foles gonna get a contract with the xers and win the natty off the bench

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

axeil posted:

Yeah other NFC East fans seemed to like Romo way more than actual Cowboys fans did. It was odd.

I wanted to murder over half of the city of Dallas while Romo played. I couldn't go a block without some rear end in a top hat not realizing what we had. Radio stations had people calling in unironically suggesting we go find ourselves a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. Like they grow on goddamn trees.

Tony has said he is not anywhere near interested in coaching right now. He likes his current job, he's good at it, and it allows him more time with his kids than a coaching job would. He would be insane to try coaching. I love Tony Romo, but it would break my heart to see him on the field again. Cowboys fans don't deserve him.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Asproigerosis posted:

nick foles gonna get a contract with the xers and win the natty off the bench

Unfortunately they can't afford him.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Tony Romo is gonna go down in history as the greatest cowboy just because he saved us for Phil "JIIIIIEEEM" Simms and his terrible, terrible commentary

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Phillies are really putting together ... a .. dream team.

I have a month of paid vacation before I start my new job and thought maybe I should try to play Path of Exile again. Logged in forgot about the dumb names I made.

I completely lost it when I was reminded that I made a mule named folestocooper. If only I knew what the future would entail...

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 25, 2019

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

When he was playing I said he was the best QB the Cowboys ever had, and I still stand by it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Troy Aikman said that on a broadcast

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah he super clearly was the best QB the Cowboys have ever had, maybe the best QB the entire NFCE has ever had (though as a homer I'd obvly vote :mcnabb:)

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Witten’s officially coming back to play for the Cowboys again.

Hot drat did his broadcasting career crash and burn hard.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

hahaha that rules

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

In 2017, as a 35-year-old, Witten had his worst season since becoming a full-time starter. Obviously I have high expectations for his upcoming age-37 season.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I feel kinda bad for the guy but my Mondays are gonna get so much better that I can't bring myself to feel too bad

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Witten’s officially coming back to play for the Cowboys again.

Hot drat did his broadcasting career crash and burn hard.

I thought this was a joke at first and had to check. The 2019 Cowboys are gonna be hilarious if they think a 37 year old tight end is gonna be a difference maker.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

He's gonna make a difference. Not the good kind though.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

rujasu posted:

In 2017, as a 35-year-old, Witten had his worst season since becoming a full-time starter. Obviously I have high expectations for his upcoming age-37 season.

https://twitter.com/KyleNeubeck/status/1101185296702586880

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Asproigerosis posted:

I have a month of paid vacation before I start my new job and thought maybe I should try to play Path of Exile again. Logged in forgot about the dumb names I made.

I completely lost it when I was reminded that I made a mule named folestocooper. If only I knew what the future would entail...

I guess my Chip Smelly and Ham Stinkie names are becoming a bit dated too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Great News!

https://twitter.com/Eagles/status/1101489993447550979

(for Eagles fans)