Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

We just published a piece about some of the investigations that likely led to Russia recently banning its soldiers from posting information about their service on social media and using smart phones. One of the most successful examples was Selfie Soldiers by Simon Ostrovsky for VICE News, which was based on social media posts by a Russian serviceman we first identified, and Simon followed up on the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zssIFN2mso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Meanwhile in Estonia, it's 9 days until the elections. I have trouble deciding whom to vote for, because in recent years I've come to dislike them and I'm not the only one. The 'undecided' stand at about 20%. Chart here, by month. https://www.emor.ee/erakondade-toetusreitingud/
We have about 6 parties with a chance to get into the parliament and that's with a required minimum of 5% of votes.

First we have the center party with their fare-free public transport, taxpayer-paid propaganda newspapers and TV channel, and they can't build bike paths for poo poo. In addition to other bullshit.

Then the reform party who mostly promise to reverse this recent proportional income tax so rich people "do not get punished". It works something like this: salary per month between 500 and 2100€ gets some tax-free income, rate of which decreases as the sum goes up to 2100€ according to some formula. To me it looks more like that truly rich are not paying enough. In addition they have some people associated with illegal donations and some other people who withdrew all the assets from their close relatives' firm by going on a tour of ATMs around the city, making for some unhappy investors. Eventually they found a lawyer willing to take the blame in court. But those people are still among their top 5.

The third most popular party now are the conservative racists. Like all other parties they've come out with all sorts of promises. Such as asking the USA for military aid to the tune of 1 billion, building 4-lane highways. And also the usual: "stopping homosexual propaganda in kindergartens". Here is their election ad, complete with gloomy pictures and a gloomy voice, and those horrible sexual deviants and those horrible muslims who all get free housing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7R5gUQoY3c

Then come social democrats who managed to raise alcohol excises so much that now southern Estonia goes to Latvia to buy alcohol. So they don't drink any less but we've lost revenue, also the Fatherland (formerly IRL), who've been rediscovering their conservative nationalist roots. Incompetent and useless in all the coalitions they've been in.

Then newcomers E200 or Estonia 200. They've obviously got some good PR people because of some scandalous ads. I'm considering voting for them solely because they are newcomers and last thing our democracy needs is stopping new parties from emerging (especially with 5% threshold to get into parliament). They are liberal-progressive. They also want to get rid of Russian schools by putting Estonians and Russians together. I'm fine with that as long as the one official language is enforced and remains the only official language.

The last ones are greens. They oppose Rail Baltica and went into a seatless coalition in Tallinn in exchange for a job for their chairman and getting some new road project remade by getting rid of a lane on it. No thanks. The conservative racists also oppose Rail Baltica, because why make a competitive railroad between capitals if you can make it go around.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 22, 2019

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

jonnypeh posted:

The last ones are greens. They oppose Rail Baltica

By what reasoning? It's expected to be 85% funded by the EU and it's trains.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

Muh pastures. :qq:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Green parties generally aren't actually about protecting the environment from a scientific perspective but more from an aesthetic one.

A typical green party will vote against increased urban density because that might make less room for green space in the city or make the environment "feel" more man-made, even if this results in the city having to clearcut a bunch of forests to build more sprawl. They'll protest both of course, but not see the connection.

A typical green party will protest an offshore windfarm that happens to be in view of a lot of their rich members, they'll mention sea life impacted by construction but it's entirely about protecting their views and property values.

A typical green party will be rabidly anti-nuke and be instrumental to blocking or early-decommissioning existing plants, even if that leads to a bunch of new coal fire plants. Again they won't see the connection here and will protest both.

A typical green party will be deeply concerned about climate change, because if sea levels go up it might make their waterfront homes lose some value or force them to re-build their docks.

A typical green party will vote against increased transit in an area (an area again where many of their rich members lives oddly) because buses use diesel and until buses are 100% electric they are against bus expansion, this will lead to more people driving and again they see no fault or in the outcome here.

A typical green party will absolutely be against some new light rail line that will take thousands of cars off the road because the construction of the project will involve the loss of precious green space (from the median of a road) and the removal of 12 entire trees over it's 15km length. Oh yes we're also against polluting dangerous cars but electric cars will solve that problem so please no ugly transit.

Green parties can be very different around the world, but the ones I've interacted with have mostly been rich boomer-aged folks who might have been moderately hippie/progress back in the day and now wrap their NIMBYism and concern for their property values in environmental language. Sprinkle in some crazy anti-vax anti-gmo anti-wifi types and some 20-somethings who naively believe "All politicians are the same... except the greens!" and you got your self a local green party. They'll drive their tesla to whole foods to buy imported organic produce on their way to protest the new affordable housing project near them because the foundations of the affordable housing buildings might harm local trees and what ever will that do to our local songbird population, we need to protect local species!

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Somaen posted:

On their website it says that they don't think it would be sustainable with a link to some hyperloop article. "dreaming of getting to Berlin in one hour". Their chairwoman has said that all that money that goes into RB should be invested into more economically friendly and profitable transit like hydrogen or electric buses. However, that party is not that relevant because according to the polls they would fall slightly under the threshold to get into the parliament.

But there are still some lobby groups who want RB cancelled, including EKRE (the conservative racists), truck companies and just people who've found some reason or another to dislike it. Some are convinced that the maintenance alone will bankrupt the country, that it will split the country in half, that EU will use it to take our natural resources from us, that it will be used to bring in - yep, muslim immigrants. Recently another rail line was closed, with 60 passengers per day between Nowhere and Nowhere with a top speed of 60 km/h. Apparently that one was okay, but this new rail, nope - nobody will want to travel between two capital cities in 2 hours.

I sometimes take a look at their facebook page and pretty much anything goes. One high-ranking Estonian official who got convicted in Brussels for rape a few days ago? Yep, he was SO ROTTEN that not only he committed rape he also MUST HAVE HAD a hand in organizing Rail Baltica because of his former position.

Traveling by rail between Tallinn and Riga is possible even right now, but the journey takes about 6 hours and that's without waiting for the next train to show up at the border.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jonnypeh posted:

Traveling by rail between Tallinn and Riga is possible even right now, but the journey takes about 6 hours and that's without waiting for the next train to show up at the border.

God drat, it takes me 2:40 by train to go from Riga to my hometown near Russian border.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Baronjutter posted:

Green parties generally aren't actually about protecting the environment from a scientific perspective but more from an aesthetic one.

A typical green party will vote against increased urban density because that might make less room for green space in the city or make the environment "feel" more man-made, even if this results in the city having to clearcut a bunch of forests to build more sprawl. They'll protest both of course, but not see the connection.

A typical green party will protest an offshore windfarm that happens to be in view of a lot of their rich members, they'll mention sea life impacted by construction but it's entirely about protecting their views and property values.

A typical green party will be rabidly anti-nuke and be instrumental to blocking or early-decommissioning existing plants, even if that leads to a bunch of new coal fire plants. Again they won't see the connection here and will protest both.

A typical green party will be deeply concerned about climate change, because if sea levels go up it might make their waterfront homes lose some value or force them to re-build their docks.

A typical green party will vote against increased transit in an area (an area again where many of their rich members lives oddly) because buses use diesel and until buses are 100% electric they are against bus expansion, this will lead to more people driving and again they see no fault or in the outcome here.

A typical green party will absolutely be against some new light rail line that will take thousands of cars off the road because the construction of the project will involve the loss of precious green space (from the median of a road) and the removal of 12 entire trees over it's 15km length. Oh yes we're also against polluting dangerous cars but electric cars will solve that problem so please no ugly transit.

Green parties can be very different around the world, but the ones I've interacted with have mostly been rich boomer-aged folks who might have been moderately hippie/progress back in the day and now wrap their NIMBYism and concern for their property values in environmental language. Sprinkle in some crazy anti-vax anti-gmo anti-wifi types and some 20-somethings who naively believe "All politicians are the same... except the greens!" and you got your self a local green party. They'll drive their tesla to whole foods to buy imported organic produce on their way to protest the new affordable housing project near them because the foundations of the affordable housing buildings might harm local trees and what ever will that do to our local songbird population, we need to protect local species!

Glad the Scottish Greens aren't this strawman typical green you've not just made up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Glad the Scottish Greens aren't this strawman typical green you've not just made up.

It’s painfully accurate for Baltic greens.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

forkboy84 posted:

Congrats on having the only decent green party in the world.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Lithuanian greens (not the ruling "green peasant party" which is rural oligarchs running on populism) is a tiny party that makes goofy videos about pollution and is full of hip young people. THey are sponsored by the oligarchs running the biofuel burning electricity generating stations. I can't really wrap my head around anyone opposing Rail Baltica short of literally being paid by the Kremlin or something. I was on a Helsinki-Berlin bus that goes through the Baltics and there is a surprising amount of people taking that instead of flying

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/XSovietNews/status/1099646378828009472

https://twitter.com/XSovietNews/status/1099646530439598085

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Meanwhile, Eurovision preparations are gearing up
https://www.dw.com/en/ukraines-eurovision-contestant-maruv-clouded-by-political-scandal/a-47689988

Amidst reports of Poroshenko buying votes in upcoming presidential elections, and government officials urging people to believe official results no matter what in fear of another Maidan, ignoring public vote even in something as trivial as a campy song contest is seriously not a good look.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Baronjutter posted:

This is almost totally the opposite of the Finnish green party, to the point that their general reputation is that they want to cut down all of the Helsinki region's forests so that everyone can live in Soviet tower blocks from which they will bike to their job at the veganism factory

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ras Het posted:

This is almost totally the opposite of the Finnish green party, to the point that their general reputation is that they want to cut down all of the Helsinki region's forests so that everyone can live in Soviet tower blocks from which they will bike to their job at the veganism factory
I'd vote for that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In a surprising turn of events, Ukraine has had the dignity to withdraw from Eurovision, instead of causing a further embarrassment.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

In a surprising turn of events, Ukraine has had the dignity to withdraw from Eurovision, instead of causing a further embarrassment.

All other contestants (or at least those who never toured in Russia) said they didn't want to go, so they really had no choice. Russian propaganda is having a field day with this debacle.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

All other contestants (or at least those who never toured in Russia) said they didn't want to go, so they really had no choice. Russian propaganda is having a field day with this debacle.

Ah, I see. I only caught the news of the #2 guys pulling that.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I know the Lithuanians have been complaining about this loudly for years. What is the possibility it won't be finished or ever go into operation?

https://twitter.com/LithuaniaMFA/status/1100769542123520000

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ras Het posted:

Huh, I'd heard Helsinki was like Portland, but I didn't know it was that bad.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Happy Fat Thursday Goons! Today pączki have just 50 calories.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

alex314 posted:

Happy Fat Thursday Goons! Today pączki have just 50 calories.

I once finally bought the four-pack sold at all the supermarkets here. They're awful.

Every time I see them on sale, I remember that you need to get the proper ones from a Polish bakery or deli.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Dunkin donuts tried to enter the Polish market twice and failed both times. Pączki power

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You're joking, but street vendors selling them just about everywhere is one of my most persistent memories of Warsaw. Right after the Palace shock.
And unlike the palace thing, they actually tasted great.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Today's pączki are probably of the lowest quality you are to get for the whole year: all bakeries churn out dozens of millions of them. Still, ate seven, I feel like I'm about to puke, but I'm still hungry. Should have eaten anything else too..

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I picked the worst time of the year for dieting

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

In Dusseldorf, they do paczki/berliner/krapfen day here too today, although different fillings/toppings. I miss the real deal, but it could be worse. Also, the Dutch across the border do their own version, oliebollen, which are more like the deepfried paczki with crunchy bits like babcia made, but more round, heavier and oilier, too.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tevery Best posted:

I picked the worst time of the year for dieting

If it's any consolation, Riga's annual road running race, for all major distances, is in May so I have like 4 runs schedules this week to cram all training I anticipate to need by then. At least the snow has calmed down a little bit and I don't need to traverse 10-15 cm snow layers on pedestrian walkways.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Paladinus posted:

wait, Russia destroyed Eurovision?

the monsters!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I know the Lithuanians have been complaining about this loudly for years. What is the possibility it won't be finished or ever go into operation?

https://twitter.com/LithuaniaMFA/status/1100769542123520000

Pretty much near zero at this point. There is very little international pressure to stop it because it passed all the inspections so far including IAEA and pretty much everyone else who wanted to come inspect. Lithuanians are pissed because it is very cynically located near the border at about 1 hour drive from Vilnius.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sekenr posted:

Pretty much near zero at this point. There is very little international pressure to stop it because it passed all the inspections so far including IAEA and pretty much everyone else who wanted to come inspect. Lithuanians are pissed because it is very cynically located near the border at about 1 hour drive from Vilnius.

Well the fact that russian annexation of belarus seem on the horizon id say they need to get as many policy wins as possih e with the future non existant neighbour.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I'd say its actually further away than say 2 years ago due to all the pr disasters and new bad blood. Lukashenko hosed up a seemingly straightforward negotiation about Russian "tax maneuver" which Russians seemed initially pretty willing to compensate but as usually happens when he goes off-script said some dumb poo poo at evrazes press-conference, than tried to tone it down, than his fragile ego got shattered when Russian media presented it as an apology. Than a televised interview with German embassador, than a sort of retcon of what he said to the German embassador. A lot of too much noise over one month of december. Frankly I'm dissapointed, and was never a fan, the only thing I felt he is good for is milk Russia for money in return for nothing and he hosed it up. Anyway GDP of Belarus is 54,4 billion USD and the price of Russian maneuver is 400 million and 0,7 % of GDP is not something that makes you consider an anschluss.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wait, Russia destroyed Eurovision?

the monsters!

gjb, what's the context for the cohen moment in the av?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sekenr posted:

I'd say its actually further away than say 2 years ago due to all the pr disasters and new bad blood. Lukashenko hosed up a seemingly straightforward negotiation about Russian "tax maneuver" which Russians seemed initially pretty willing to compensate but as usually happens when he goes off-script said some dumb poo poo at evrazes press-conference, than tried to tone it down, than his fragile ego got shattered when Russian media presented it as an apology. Than a televised interview with German embassador, than a sort of retcon of what he said to the German embassador. A lot of too much noise over one month of december. Frankly I'm dissapointed, and was never a fan, the only thing I felt he is good for is milk Russia for money in return for nothing and he hosed it up. Anyway GDP of Belarus is 54,4 billion USD and the price of Russian maneuver is 400 million and 0,7 % of GDP is not something that makes you consider an anschluss.

Gdp solely is not the case here. We arent thinking in the timespan of a few years but in decades. Food will become a bargaining tool and fertile lands. Russia is bemefiting so much from climate change it only makes aense to hold the assets now that will benefit greatly later. The nepan and deliya river heads are in belarus. Strangulting lithuania would be much easier with the abillity to turn off the fresh water and sea access.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Gdp solely is not the case here. We arent thinking in the timespan of a few years but in decades. Food will become a bargaining tool and fertile lands. Russia is bemefiting so much from climate change it only makes aense to hold the assets now that will benefit greatly later. The nepan and deliya river heads are in belarus. Strangulting lithuania would be much easier with the abillity to turn off the fresh water and sea access.

heh, if we are talking crazy tom clancy poo poo, there is no russia. It was brought up before by various think-tanks that there is not much connection between between trans-urals and far asian part with Moscow. If this flow (currently to europe) is to change say to China, than sooner or later someone will ask why the gently caress do we need european part for? Why do we pay for ludicrous excesses that they consider normal lifestyle in Moscow while we are normal wholesome people.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sekenr posted:

heh, if we are talking crazy tom clancy poo poo, there is no russia. It was brought up before by various think-tanks that there is not much connection between between trans-urals and far asian part with Moscow. If this flow (currently to europe) is to change say to China, than sooner or later someone will ask why the gently caress do we need european part for? Why do we pay for ludicrous excesses that they consider normal lifestyle in Moscow while we are normal wholesome people.

Im a little confused on all the cotext can you expand on this or give me an article for reference

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Im a little confused on all the cotext can you expand on this or give me an article for reference

I meant gas and oil pipelines. Economically speaking Europe is ready to pay the highest price for gas, thus right now everyone is involved. Asian part with drilling and producing, european part with transporting. If you reroute it to China, European part becomes unnecessary, This is big bucks and serious people sit on this pipe, techinally speaking this raises the question of why does Siberia even needs everything to the west of Ural Mountains.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Because Moscow controls the army and isn't going to let a huge part of their geographical area break off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Also, most Russians want to live in one big Russia? It's like asking why whatever state that contributes the most to the federal budget is still part of America. Why is any state still one country, when it can be several countries arbitrarily split based on economical or ethnic differences? Really makes you think!