Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
has anyone gotten the cheevo for getting enemy debuff stacks to 999? i have no idea how to even approach it, you'd think Apocethary would be the class of choice but most of your cards that apply debuffs do damage on top of that and you're likely to kill
the enemy before you get there. Poison is the only one that stays from turn to turn so it seems like the one to go for, but again, it's going to kill your enemy. Maybe get the right build and get lucky and meet that one guy who's completely immune to damage but dies insntantly after 5 turns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

goferchan posted:

has anyone gotten the cheevo for getting enemy debuff stacks to 999? i have no idea how to even approach it, you'd think Apocethary would be the class of choice but most of your cards that apply debuffs do damage on top of that and you're likely to kill
the enemy before you get there. Poison is the only one that stays from turn to turn so it seems like the one to go for, but again, it's going to kill your enemy. Maybe get the right build and get lucky and meet that one guy who's completely immune to damage but dies insntantly after 5 turns?

There’s a Witch spell that doubles poison (and adds 6 afterwards I think?). I spammed that with some doubles casting and it worked out somehow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BigLeafyTree posted:

There’s a Witch spell that doubles poison (and adds 6 afterwards I think?). I spammed that with some doubles casting and it worked out somehow.

Wither. It's probably easiest to do against the Sword boss, as that one turns your leftmost card into the card you just played.

Handy tip - Invisibility Cloaks don't stack, so don't bother getting a second.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jedit posted:

Wither. It's probably easiest to do against the Sword boss, as that one turns your leftmost card into the card you just played.

Handy tip - Invisibility Cloaks don't stack, so don't bother getting a second.

Yeah and they only draw you a card if the invisibility cloak is what caused you to avoid damage, other dodge sources don't count. It's much worse than the dream quest equivalent

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

IOS users: do you get 30 or 60 gold for the act-1 boss? I'm trying to figure out if gold rewards are doubled on android (if you watch the ads) or halved (if you don't watch the ads).

goferchan posted:

Everything with Apocethary feels so busted that I'm never sure if it's bugged or not lol. I'll just play a card and all of a sudden 50 damage procs go off and the enemy gets 4 different kinds of debuffs and I'm like, uh, yeah that's exactly what I meant to do

It turns out I was wrong, Cocktail doesn't stack with Concentrate (but it does stack with Potency). So if you're going for a Cocktail-based build stacking Potency is really good and stacking Concentrate is kind of useless. Oops.

This deck kind of got away from me; I think it needs more mana, fewer non-potion spells, and either less Concentrate and Secret Pocket or less Cocktail and Potency.

That said, yes, Apothecary is amazing just for the sheer quantity of incomprehensible nonsense she can produce. Play one card and then sit there for 30 seconds while every card in your deck goes off multiple times, dealing surprisingly little damage but leaving the enemy with 40 stacks each of Burning and Chilled? Sure, why not.

E: new favourite combo: Banish Darkness (blessing: all overheal is converted into 50% piercing damage) in combination with literally anything the Nun can cast, but especially cards that do lots of damage and healing at the same time, like Smite + Divine Strike (5 hits for 6 damage/6 healing each) or Life Leech (spell 20: 30 damage + 30 healing), and double especially in combination with Mana Expansion (mana 5: your next spell is doubled).

BattleHamster posted:

I'm 5 years late to the party but I recently started playing WazHack and can't recommend it enough. Great game that's easy to get into with a pretty unique take on the NetHack formula.

I remember seeing WazHack when it first came out, and I pretty much ignored it because it looked (a) kind of gimmicky and (b) really, shockingly ugly. Maybe it's worth another look, especially since it looks like it'll run on my laptop.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 26, 2019

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

catmeme.jpg I should play Transcendence

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Night of the Full Moon is exactly what I was after, thanks for the suggestion.

FYI for new players - when out of combat, the bottom left of your screen has a special ability usable once every X combats. Took me a while to notice that, and its absolutely vital for some classes like Apothecary.

Speaking of Apothecary, it's definitely my favourite class. Not sure if I'm just insanely unlucky but it does seem like you never get an Amnesia Tavern so have to rely on your ability to remove cards - and you start with a ton of rubbish 1 damage attacks so it's a bit slow. But later you can stack enough buffs so that a mere 3 damage/burn potion inflicts like 6x that and casts multiple times thanks to Potency, Concentrate etc. I think the key thing is probably to get enough draw and action that you can draw your entire deck turn 1, play all your buffs, then just apply 50 stacks of burn/chill.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

ToxicFrog posted:

IOS users: do you get 30 or 60 gold for the act-1 boss? I'm trying to figure out if gold rewards are doubled on android (if you watch the ads) or halved (if you don't watch the ads).

I just started a fresh run to check, it’s worth 30. So gold is actually doubled by the ads.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

How do you actually earn dust in Night of the Full Moon? I seem to have some in every run, but never notice getting it.

tradjik
Mar 2, 2007

How does Meteorfall: Legends stack up against Night of the Full Moon?

Are there any other good deck building roguelikes on android?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

tradjik posted:

Meteorfall is way more streamlined (your hand size is 1 and you tinder swipe each card) and has fewer classes, cards and enemies. Still worth checking out.

I'm not aware of any other good build-as-you-go games on android unfortunately. Card quest is closest but a very different type of game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Armor-Piercing posted:

How do you actually earn dust in Night of the Full Moon? I seem to have some in every run, but never notice getting it.

Given that it's the Time Elf, I suspect that it's awarded for the number of pages left when you defeat a boss. I know you don't get any until you defeat the Chapter 1 boss.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

tradjik posted:

I really wasn't a fan of Meteorfall. The way the game works is that you have 1 card at a time, and your only choice is to play it or pass to regain stamina. There's no way to manipulate draws or retain cards, so it felt incredibly random. There's not a lot of variety in cards or enemies either.

Card Quest isn't really a deckbuilder as your deck is determined by the equipment you choose at the start of a run, but it fits a similar niche. Huge amount of content and very fun to play.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jedit posted:

Given that it's the Time Elf, I suspect that it's awarded for the number of pages left when you defeat a boss. I know you don't get any until you defeat the Chapter 1 boss.

Just checked and I didn't get any Dust from Chapter 2 even though I completed it with 6 pages left, same as Chapter 1. So it's almost certainly bugged, and right now there's no reason not to spend all your dust at the first elf.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Does Moonlighter count as a roguelike? It doesn't seem to have a thread and Roguelike feels like the most fitting genre description.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Taear posted:

Does Moonlighter count as a roguelike? It doesn't seem to have a thread and Roguelike feels like the most fitting genre description.
The added minibosses sounded like a good addition but I haven't touched it since the Switch port dropped.

(It's like, pretty roguelite, I guess. I enjoyed it but it didn't have enough meat to it.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I just cleared Hard 2 Nun with what is probably the aggravating deck RNG I've yet seen. It was dropping tonnes of Piety and Peek the Future, but I did not see a single prayer available -- not as a chest drop, for sale, or as a level up reward -- until chapter 3. Until then I was slogging through every fight with the two Attack Prayers you start with and a Divine Strike. In chapter 3 I was finally able to pick up two Rage Prayers. I didn't see a single Life Prayer or Smite all game, which was especially disheartening as I got Banish Darkness as my first fairy wish and hardly got to use it all game.

I also accidentally deleted my Book of Confessions halfway through chapter 3, which made the last few fights a bit dicier than I would have liked.

Jedit posted:

Just checked and I didn't get any Dust from Chapter 2 even though I completed it with 6 pages left, same as Chapter 1. So it's almost certainly bugged, and right now there's no reason not to spend all your dust at the first elf.

Don't you only get one elf per game anyways? At least, I've only ever seen one, even when I haven't spent all my dust at it. I've adopted a policy of just spending all my dust and picking the best buff offered, since there's nothing else you can use it for if you hoard it.

Razakai posted:

FYI for new players - when out of combat, the bottom left of your screen has a special ability usable once every X combats. Took me a while to notice that, and its absolutely vital for some classes like Apothecary.

Speaking of Apothecary, it's definitely my favourite class. Not sure if I'm just insanely unlucky but it does seem like you never get an Amnesia Tavern so have to rely on your ability to remove cards - and you start with a ton of rubbish 1 damage attacks so it's a bit slow. But later you can stack enough buffs so that a mere 3 damage/burn potion inflicts like 6x that and casts multiple times thanks to Potency, Concentrate etc. I think the key thing is probably to get enough draw and action that you can draw your entire deck turn 1, play all your buffs, then just apply 50 stacks of burn/chill.

On Normal you're guaranteed one Amnesia Tavern each chapter. On Hard I'm not sure. But yes, Goldtouch is a fantastic ability because it lets you get a head start on pruning your deck at a net gold gain -- and once you're pruning cards other than basic attacks the gold gains can be quite significant.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

tradjik posted:

Obviously not a roguelike, but the deckbuilder Ascenscion is well supported and often updated with new sets as they release. Has both AI opponents and an online component for games, as well. Might even have pass and play, but I can't quite remember that.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Razakai posted:

I just started playing and I agree. I just did my first apothecary run. I didn't see a single tavern. But that run was insane. I got the got three equipment slots and three boots that give +1 draw and action per turn. I got extra draw every turn for 4 pranks blessing/curse. Of course her ability removes pranks. I'm not really sure what happened but I killed the boss with 140 hp. My max health outside of combat was 90hp.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The added minibosses sounded like a good addition but I haven't touched it since the Switch port dropped.

(It's like, pretty roguelite, I guess. I enjoyed it but it didn't have enough meat to it.)

They're new?! gently caress I had no idea, no wonder my experience of it seems so different from the reviews.
The bosses suck and I hate them.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Standingstoic posted:

Obviously not a roguelike, but the deckbuilder Ascenscion is well supported and often updated with new sets as they release. Has both AI opponents and an online component for games, as well. Might even have pass and play, but I can't quite remember that.

I can confirm that Ascenscion has pass and play for the android app. It's a little awkward for some cards, but it works.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shwqa posted:

I just started playing and I agree. I just did my first apothecary run. I didn't see a single tavern. But that run was insane. I got the got three equipment slots and three boots that give +1 draw and action per turn. I got extra draw every turn for 4 pranks blessing/curse. Of course her ability removes pranks. I'm not really sure what happened but I killed the boss with 140 hp. My max health outside of combat was 90hp.

Apothecary has a ton of cards that boost max HP temporarily. Shadow Potion steals 2/4/6 max health, and there's an Equipment that gives 1 max HP for each 4 damage dealt. A turbo-Potion deck can get over 200 max HP against a boss.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Up to max difficulty on Witch now. The Frozen Solid blessing is insanely good. For reference it consumes 5 Chill stacks at end of turn to give you a bonus turn, then increases the requirement by 5. I had a deck with 1 Blizzard, 1 Frost Nova and some doublecast/copy. Could easily apply enough to get 5 turns in a row consistently.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Dicey Dungeons to v0.16 with the biggest update yet en route to about one more smaller one then the drive to full release victory:

http://diceydungeons.com/blog/2019/02/27/version-16.html

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Finally beat the Cursed Werewolf, with Ranger evasion build. Got a Horn as well, which didn't hurt.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I think I have a stalemate against the Werewolf as Hard 2 Witch. I have hundreds of points of armour and he's perma-frosted, so he's completely incapable of dealing damage to me, but I also can't damage him fast enough to overcome his regeneration.

I mean, I guess if I play it for enough hours eventually the debuffs that you have to draw every turn will stack up to the point that I'm spending multiple turns drawing nothing but Pranks and he will slowly grind through my armour, but at this point I think I might just reroll.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I had a stalemate vs Werewolf on Witch as well. In my case I could only do a max of about 100 damage per turn, and he'd regen more than that. The lesson I've learned is to make sure I'm capable of doing way more damage than that in 1 turn, or can manipulate Frozen Solid/Mana Storm. Or just use poison - I had a single copy of Wither that I managed to stack to 200+ damage in my Frozen Solid deck, that'll handily bypass any regen given enough time.

e: Just beat the Cursed Werewolf first try with Witch. It didn't even get to take a single turn aside from it's self buff routine, which gave it a resurrect. If the resurrect came with a 1 turn immunity like regular Werewolf I might have been in trouble. But as it was first round I drew my entire deck with the 0 cost draw 2 + Spell Crystal + multiple mana draw cards, replicated Frost Nova to stack 80 Chill, then just nuked it down over the next few free turns with Pyroblast/Thunderstorm. Frozen Solid is kinda busted.

Razakai fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 28, 2019

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Holy hell. Had a knight run with the equipment that dupes your first attack per turn, the blessing that triples your first attack per combat, a ton of equipment with the a few copies of the attack that does damage per equipment equipment, and just a little card draw.

Killed the werewolf in two turns

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Little Red is a jerk fight. My first werewolf playthrough, on normal, she proceeded to hit me for 95 damage on her first turn. Double spell cast -> 25 fire damage (x2); 25 fire damage; 20 fire damage (then 20 more at the start of her next turn).

I continued and won eventually, but my deck had serious trouble in beating her in less than three turns, and she was very capable of killing me in two turns basically every time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Taear posted:

They're new?! gently caress I had no idea, no wonder my experience of it seems so different from the reviews.
The bosses suck and I hate them.
Yeah, at launch it was just four floors of regular enemies and then a boss, times four, plus the final dungeon. Not a lot of meat on the bones.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Is anyone else playing Hades

I’m beating Meg more consistently now, the gun is a pretty good weapon, and blight wine seems OP on certain weapons or their specials. That is all.

pat--
Sep 9, 2004
I sold my roguelike soul and spent an insane week rewriting The Red Prison UI from scratch to make it use graphical tiles instead of ascii. Combine that with autoexplore and rest in pieces my credibility

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, at launch it was just four floors of regular enemies and then a boss, times four, plus the final dungeon. Not a lot of meat on the bones.

I mean really it doesn't change my experience and the game is still quite repetitive.
Instead it makes going from floor to floor a struggle because the mechanics of the bosses are so different from how you normally play. It's sort of gating you onto the second floor until you've heavily upgraded your stuff.

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 1, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

patxor posted:

I sold my roguelike soul and spent an insane week rewriting The Red Prison UI from scratch to make it use graphical tiles instead of ascii. Combine that with autoexplore and rest in pieces my credibility

Oh hey, it's Dungeon Crawl.

Seriously, it's amazing how much a simple UI can do to atmosphere and accessibility. Sound effects are the next (big!) step into making a game have feel/immersion. I fully respect the ascii background of RLs, but its astonishing how well things like DoomRL and Cogmind do at 'feel'.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

patxor posted:

but you can easily save your rl cred! did you leave regular ASCII as an option like caves of qud for us grognards :ohdear:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Welp. Could have one-shotted the Priest on Hard 2 Witch, but I forgot how his death effect works and played wastefully.

It turns out that a deck oriented around drawing lots and lots of mana (Arcane Prophecy, Waving Staff, Magic Flying Knife), in order to trigger the Magic Flames/Magic Staff/Torch combo, converts very easily into a deck oriented around doing hundreds of damage a turn using Thundercloud (spell 5: 5 lightning damage, then lightning damage equal to your remaining mana, max 50). And unlike Cyclone (spell 0: expend all your mana and deal lightning damage equal to that amount), it doesn't drain all your mana, so it works with stuff like Hands Casting and Super Hex.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I am having an absolute motherfucker of a time trying to beat the Cursed Werewolf as Knight, but I think I might have figured out a relatively effective - if RNG-dependent - method: items and blessings that cancel the first card(s) played, either on turn 1 or every turn.

They apply to the perma-ability cards played at the start of the fight.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

:aaaaa:

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
New Toejam & Earl game counts, right? Because its really fun. Online multiplayer, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I am having an absolute motherfucker of a time trying to beat the Cursed Werewolf as Knight, but I think I might have figured out a relatively effective - if RNG-dependent - method: items and blessings that cancel the first card(s) played, either on turn 1 or every turn.

One thing you could try is if you have some excellent piece of equipment, unequip it so you have the chance to draw it and use your ability to copy it. It depends on drawing it first but sometimes it’s enough to put you over the top.