Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I liked the early UI better than early android

once android got all of its app community it became pretty worthless and I switched

e: the point it became worthless for me was only about two years on from win 7 phone release mind you

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

thanks i just coughed up my orange juice a little.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Private Speech posted:

I liked the early UI better than early android

once android got all of its app community it became pretty worthless and I switched

e: the point it became worthless for me was only about two years on from win 7 phone release mind you

yeah, compared to android it was wonderful. but that's setting the bar kind of low don't you think?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

thanks i just coughed up my orange juice a little.

are you orange ricky?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the zune was good. i got one for like $100 in 2007 or whatever when they firesaled them and it lasted me 5 years probably

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

akadajet posted:

yeah, compared to android it was wonderful. but that's setting the bar kind of low don't you think?

It was terrible. The interface was a complete and utter mess, ugly to boot and it was missing tons of essential apps.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Lambert posted:

It was terrible. The interface was a complete and utter mess, ugly to boot and it was missing tons of essential apps.

it was missing a ton of apps, but the ui was great. the mail app, the keyboard, the calendar - all still to this day better than any available on android.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fiedler posted:

it was missing a ton of apps, but the ui was great. the mail app, the keyboard, the calendar - all still to this day better than any available on android.

this.

it was clean and fluid and the minimal smart tiles worked fine and the app hub design was really usable. they cluttered it up in 8 and 10, but it originally worked quite well.

it also didn't chug like an arthritic chainsmoker on the hardware, unlike say, android.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ms also naively expected everyone to rewrite all of their poo poo in c# for winphone 7, which naturally didn't happen. so not only did they have a new phone platform that was already arriving years late to the party, but they ensured that it had a meager app selection next to it's competitors

sweaty ballmer's hubris wrt smartphones and a changing consumer landscape basically knocked ms out of the mobile device market forever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
metro/modern ui was clean and simple and worked really well on smartphone sized screens.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It was great for people that loved horizonal scrolling.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the gently caress? this ui can have two dimensions?

so instead of tapping a button or tab to jump to another screen, you can swipe to it, this is not a huge cognitive leap and it's not functionally different from how springboard or the app tray work

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 28, 2019

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the ironing being swipe left and right is a critical navigation feature in ios these days despite absolutely no discoverability

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
oh the ironing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

swiping on iOS is either optional, in which case there's a Back button of some sort on the upper left of the UI, or mandatory in which case there's a current page indicator at the bottom of the screen

edit: back button isn't quite right, often times it is a back button, but sometimes you start out in the primary UI view and then can press buttons in the upper left/right to slide something over the primary view or slide the primary view out of the way, either way an animation plays when you tap the button and sure enough if you make the gesture to undo the animation it does what you expect

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 28, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the ironing being swipe left and right is a critical navigation feature in ios these days despite absolutely no discoverability

people have discovered swiping. it’s been discovered

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

infernal machines posted:

this.

it was clean and fluid and the minimal smart tiles worked fine and the app hub design was really usable. they cluttered it up in 8 and 10, but it originally worked quite well.

it also didn't chug like an arthritic chainsmoker on the hardware, unlike say, android.

yeah windows phones were legitimately good, it’s just a shame they were so late to the game and that all people care about as far as second rate phones go is that they’re cheap and ubiquitous

pram
Jun 10, 2001
actually they were bad

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
They were so good, no one wanted them and they were a laughing stock except to some hardcore fans. Android back then was way better, that's how terrible WinPhone was.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my favorite part about WinPho Series Phone for Phones was that they broke compatibility for every major point release so not only were early adopters completely hosed over, but no one wanted to develop anything because it was a waste of time and money to rewrite your app for the 10 idiots who bought them

thats our microsoft

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yeah for as many problems as I have with both android and apple, microsoft makes them look like perfect brilliant geniuses

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pram posted:

my favorite part about WinPho Series Phone for Phones was that they broke compatibility for every major point release so not only were early adopters completely hosed over, but no one wanted to develop anything because it was a waste of time and money to rewrite your app for the 10 idiots who bought them

thats our microsoft
it was incredible

ok, clean sheet do-over, rewrite all your winmo6/wince apps for winpho7
ok now do it for winpho7.5
ok now do it for winpho8
huh why is no one supporting our platform

like imagine if apples osx transition 1) didnt include the carbon emulation layer and 2) has three mutually incompatible point releases requiring partial or complete rewrites at every step

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

pram posted:

actually they were bad

nuh-uh! you’re bad!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lambert posted:

Android back then was way better

as an os, it absolutely was not. it was even more of a buggy crashing mess than it is today and it ran like frozen dog turds because it was so loving terrible.

it was free, so there were a lot of cheap phones, and so people made apps for it. it was not and is not "good" by any stretch of the imagination

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FMguru posted:

like imagine if apples osx transition 1) didnt include the carbon emulation layer and 2) has three mutually incompatible point releases requiring partial or complete rewrites at every step

more like imagine if apple only had an objective-c compiler available on osx and demanded that everyone completely rewrite their software in it

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

microsoft is doomed to keep making money forever and never fix anything.

why do you use windows? everything works on it.
why does windows suck? ancient cruft that exists so everything works on it.

if you pull either pillar out- everything works, or infinite bloat, it collapses.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

as an os, it absolutely was not. it was even more of a buggy crashing mess than it is today and it ran like frozen dog turds because it was so loving terrible.

it was free, so there were a lot of cheap phones, and so people made apps for it. it was not and is not "good" by any stretch of the imagination

Wrong. And I thought Windows Phone fanboys had all given up.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Neva 4get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywi0h_Y5_U

:rip: Linux Archduke

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Lambert posted:

Wrong. And I thought Windows Phone fanboys had all given up.

android is bad. android has always been bad. android will never not be bad. hth.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fiedler posted:

android is bad. android has always been bad. android will never not be bad. hth.

Android has always been great. I think you meant to write Ios.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fiedler posted:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Fiedler posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

either you didn't actually use android back in 2010/2011 or you're an even bigger idiot than you seem

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

either you didn't actually use android back in 2010/2011 or you're an even bigger idiot than you seem

that’s when I had an android so yeah I did

it sucked

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
mine was the htc evo 3d which later I traded in for a lg phone

both sucked and both were highly recommended

but I guess that’s my fault I didn’t choose the right android

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i was talking to the android defender, not you.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

I had a Nexus One back then. It was pretty good! Way better than any Windows Phone could ever imagine to be, considering I was able to look up public transit schedules with a dedicated app!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

My Linux Rig posted:

mine was the htc evo 3d which later I traded in for a lg phone

both sucked and both were highly recommended

but I guess that’s my fault I didn’t choose the right android

your mistake was choosing android. of course they sucked, every single android phone ever made has sucked. even now, ask 50 people what the best android phone is and you'll get 50 different answers, each one with a list of caveats longer than a mortgage application

see if you can identify the common factor there

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

your mistake was choosing android. of course they sucked, every single android phone ever made has sucked. even now, ask 50 people what the best android phone is and you'll get 50 different answers, each one with a list of caveats longer than a mortgage application

see if you can identify the common factor there

It's easy: Buy an Android One phone. Of course, if that's too mentally challenging for you, there's always the option of overpaying for an Apple and buying a phone with a poo poo OS like Ios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no one is asking for phone advice, dumbass