Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Amethyst posted:

I don't get why a lifer like Pyne is tapping out just as the polls are narrowing. He's perhaps genuinely depressed that all his old friends are gone and replaced by shitheads like Morrison?

Pyne likes the champagne and jolly old money laughs style of liberal membership which is drying up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Jeff Kennett and Mark Latham were on sunrise, discussing Howard and Abbott supporting Pell. poo poo got surprisingly intense. Latham was actually the normal one who issued a clear statement against Pell and pedophilia, while Kennet caught the hosts completely off guard by supporting Howard and equivocating and trying to avoid acknowledging his clear support of Pell. Its gross as hell hearing him trying to weasel his way around it.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

JBP posted:

No it didn't you loving lame brain. I mentioned it because you all think Peterson's readership is a cartoon neckbeard

nice meltdown

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Moon Atari posted:

Jeff Kennett and Mark Latham were on sunrise, discussing Howard and Abbott supporting Pell. poo poo got surprisingly intense. Latham was actually the normal one who issued a clear statement against Pell and pedophilia, while Kennet caught the hosts completely off guard by supporting Howard and equivocating and trying to avoid acknowledging his clear support of Pell. Its gross as hell hearing him trying to weasel his way around it.

Kennett supporting Howard? What the hell? They hate one another's guts.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Moon Atari posted:

How poo poo of a person do you have to be to make Latham, Latham, look better than you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You Am I posted:

Yeah this is really weird.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Amethyst posted:

I don't get why a lifer like Pyne is tapping out just as the polls are narrowing. He's perhaps genuinely depressed that all his old friends are gone and replaced by shitheads like Morrison?

The polls have narrowed but are still 53-47 in favour of Labor, and 3 (plausibly 6+) years of opposition including a messy rebuilding period isn't exactly appealling.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
The brain worms must have traded hosts

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
pizzagate but its the lnp and uhh wherever rich people eat

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Amethyst posted:

I strongly suspect that they know the polls aren't reflective of the real feeling on the street. And even at 53-47, they're going to take a pounding. I'd say based on state results vs polling, once the dust has settled we'll be looking at at least a 5% swing, which is significant because they only just squeaked in last time.

Also there's a very real chance that they've looked at Morrison's approach and either have no faith or want no part in it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's funny talking to people about the swing and having them wring their hands and say "man I don't know it still looks tight", then you remind them of the last election's result and it's all cool relaxation from there.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

You Am I posted:

They are now re-airing clips of the part where he supports Howard, but that is actually the least gross part of it. You really have to see the whole interview because the hosts actually press him on Pell and it gets real uncomfortable. He repeatedly says he doesn't dispute the legal decision, but tries to speak to Pell's good character by saying that after he spoke to him about the pedophilia issues plaguing the church in his time as premier Pell pledged to help stop it. Somehow he fails to connect the dots that rather than speaking to his good character that was evidence of him lying (since not only did he not stop other priests, he himself molested after that point).

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
yet to meet anyone irl defend the pedo priest including my insane Qanon relative

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Rockpool?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

Also there's a very real chance that they've looked at Morrison's approach and either have no faith or want no part in it.
Remember how ScoMo's strategy to winning the last make-or-break by-election somehow managed to cause a significant international diplomatic incident.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Trapezium Dave posted:

Remember how ScoMo's strategy to winning the last make-or-break by-election somehow managed to cause a significant international diplomatic incident.

Yeah I'm pretty sure if we're all able to draw these conclusions, a remotely shrewd operator will be keenly aware. I don't see a situation where Scomo manages to win the election without totally selling out the last bit of moral footing the party might be able to scrape out of the bottom of the pan. And there's a far more likely chance that they'll do that and STILL lose the lower house.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

There are articles citing “anonymous lawyers” who say Pell’s appeal is likely to succeed and I’m getting nervous and mad

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Goddamn. The sunrise facebook thread is full of middle aged women all supporting Kennett and Howard's free speech and accusing the hosts of bullying.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Moon Atari posted:

Goddamn. The sunrise facebook thread is full of middle aged women all supporting Kennett and Howard's free speech and accusing the hosts of bullying.

Awful show has awful viewers whodathunkit

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Pyne's probably lined up a job with the French Submarine Builder for a few million.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://twitter.com/terrimbutler/status/1100953053870473216

It's unsurprising but you'd hope they'd have the brainpower to pretend they're not shitheads in public spaces

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Can't believe that fans of the person who posits that women are the loving dragons of chaos or whatever would be misogynistic

Also it's hard for me to get much schadenfreude out of all these turds bailing out of the LNP because they're all going to parachute into loving consultancy jobs for fossil fuel companies or some bullshit

cohsae fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 1, 2019

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Comstar posted:

Pyne's probably lined up a job with the French Submarine Builder for a few million.

Later, he's investigated by the Federal ICAC for taking bribes from the French Submarine Builder for a few million.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

You Am I posted:

Even Pyne's leaving? Wow. The rats are well and truly scuttling off the sinking ship

If Morrison somehow pulls out a win (never underestimate Australian voters ability to be bribed through a pre-election budget) the whole government is gonna be some wacky Scrubs season 9 style soft reboot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Senor Tron posted:

If Morrison somehow pulls out a win (never underestimate Australian voters ability to be bribed through a pre-election budget) the whole government is gonna be some wacky Scrubs season 9 style soft reboot.

I wonder if they've learnt their lesson from the :effort: 2016 Budget.

And if they lose it's going to be even crazier, because people like Porter and Dutton might go. I'm starting to think Abbott might have a chance of being Opposition Leader again because none of the other people left want the job.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

You Am I posted:

JBP posted:

Yeah this is really weird.

:thunk:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I wonder if they've learnt their lesson from the :effort: 2016 Budget.

And if they lose it's going to be even crazier, because people like Porter and Dutton might go. I'm starting to think Abbott might have a chance of being Opposition Leader again because none of the other people left want the job.

Abbott is losing his seat to an Olympic gold medalist.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm sorry why is the thread arguing about the value of a person's character being tied up in the diversity of their immediate friendship circle?

Can we go back to talking about Pell? I missed a lot of the live updates on things because I have been busy as gently caress but I watched some media bites last night which was discussing the number of journos saying it was more a trial by media than jury. What's up with that?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Gridlocked posted:

I'm sorry why is the thread arguing about the value of a person's character being tied up in the diversity of their immediate friendship circle?

Can we go back to talking about Pell? I missed a lot of the live updates on things because I have been busy as gently caress but I watched some media bites last night which was discussing the number of journos saying it was more a trial by media than jury. What's up with that?

Yes, trial by media, who are conveniently lining up every loving Pell supporter they can flush out to speak on his behalf.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Its not, hth

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Gridlocked posted:

People who have been supporting Pell can't believe that he could do this sort of thing even though he's now a convicted rapist, and they're trying to convince themselves that he's not. Basically Sunk Cost Fallacy. Or Sunk Cost Fellacio in this instance am I right lol.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Yeah please stop conflating "Bell Jar" with "the 50 or so other posters that make up this thread".

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I thought they were talking about the people jbp makes up to parrot their opinions

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

The narrative is that the evidence wasn’t enough to convict him, and the jury instead acted on their impression of Pell as a disgusting piece of poo poo - in which case the appeals court will find him not guilty.

I must admit I find the process a bit esoteric; what’s the point of a jury of one’s peers if their unanimous decision can subsequently be overturned by judge(s) on appeal? We may as well just use a trial by judge for all cases.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Comstar posted:

Later, he's investigated by the Federal ICAC for taking bribes from the French Submarine Builder for a few million but not charged due to lack of evidence.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
loving Catholic Church where’s Varg when you need him?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

I thought they were talking about the people jbp makes up to parrot their opinions

How is it parroting when they have the exact opposite opinion to my own?

What's your Myers Briggs?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BBJoey posted:

The narrative is that the evidence wasn’t enough to convict him, and the jury instead acted on their impression of Pell as a disgusting piece of poo poo - in which case the appeals court will find him not guilty.

I must admit I find the process a bit esoteric; what’s the point of a jury of one’s peers if their unanimous decision can subsequently be overturned by judge(s) on appeal? We may as well just use a trial by judge for all cases.

Yeah the argument is basically that one witness isn't enough evidence and that there was some point of contention around his plea being entered which sounds like a mechanical thing I don't really understand. I am kind of worried this will get up on grounds that of course it will.

They're going to argue the jury didn't follow directions in reaching the verdict and that one witness is testament to that or whatever.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Yeah the argument is basically that one witness isn't enough evidence and that there was some point of contention around his plea being entered which sounds like a mechanical thing I don't really understand. I am kind of worried this will get up on grounds that of course it will.

They're going to an appeal judge to argue the jury didn't follow directions in reaching the verdict basically.

he really puts the pell in appellant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

he really puts the pell in appellant

It's just loving awful. Another shining example of why you shouldn't tell anyone you were sexually violated because even if it's true you're going to get jacked up by all and sundry.