Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Hey guys, thanks for your recommendations, it was a big help because I was just straight up stumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
Which is the better Deadpool run, Duggan and Posehn's 44 issues or Duggan's 36 issues?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It’s all one run. It’s great.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I haven't really ever been super into comics, but I just saw Into the Spider-verse and itching for stuff to get. I read The Superior Spider-Man a bit after it finished and really liked it, and I'm currently working on Gwenpool, which I also really, emphatically enjoy.

Are there any other comics that, I don't know if it's the right way to explain it, but play with expectations on the meaning of superhero like those two? I'm really afraid that I might have peaked with those two.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Once you finish Gwenpool you can quit comics

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Mister No posted:

I haven't really ever been super into comics, but I just saw Into the Spider-verse and itching for stuff to get. I read The Superior Spider-Man a bit after it finished and really liked it, and I'm currently working on Gwenpool, which I also really, emphatically enjoy.

Are there any other comics that, I don't know if it's the right way to explain it, but play with expectations on the meaning of superhero like those two? I'm really afraid that I might have peaked with those two.

Kieron Gillen's Journey into Mystery starring Kid Loki would be my strong recommendation, though it's about living up to/defying the archetype of the supervillain, rather than the superhero, as well as meta commentary on the comic industry's status quo, the nature of stories and myths, and various other themes.

(And if you like it, Gillen continued Loki's story as part of an ensemble in Young Avengers, and Loki: Agent of Asgard by Al Ewing is a fun follow-up to that.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mister No posted:

It's older, but Alan Moore's run on Supreme plays with a lot of the conventions of Superhero books. It's also a lot more fun than what might be stereotypically expected from Moore. It should be available as two trades, and you really don't need to know anything about the character aside from "he's basically Superman." I haven't read anything else with the character before or since and didn't have any trouble following the comic.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Skwirl posted:

It's older, but Alan Moore's run on Supreme plays with a lot of the conventions of Superhero books. It's also a lot more fun than what might be stereotypically expected from Moore. It should be available as two trades, and you really don't need to know anything about the character aside from "he's basically Superman." I haven't read anything else with the character before or since and didn't have any trouble following the comic.

But if you have read golden and silver age comics it works great with that stuff as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I know I'm gonna be dropping a hot take here but I tried supreme based on how everyone talks about how it's an amazing metatextual commentary but I found it so supremely boring I never bothered to finish it, and I think a lot of it was just that I haven't ever read any of the golden/silver age books it leans so heavily on

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

site posted:

I know I'm gonna be dropping a hot take here but I tried supreme based on how everyone talks about how it's an amazing metatextual commentary but I found it so supremely boring I never bothered to finish it, and I think a lot of it was just that I haven't ever read and of the golden/silver age books it leans so heavily on

Not everyone loves everything. SHRUG EMOTE

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

I know I'm gonna be dropping a hot take here but I tried supreme based on how everyone talks about how it's an amazing metatextual commentary but I found it so supremely boring I never bothered to finish it, and I think a lot of it was just that I haven't ever read any of the golden/silver age books it leans so heavily on

Supreme has its high points, but everything in it has just been so done to death already, mostly by Moore himself.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Blind Azathoth posted:

Kieron Gillen's Journey into Mystery starring Kid Loki would be my strong recommendation, though it's about living up to/defying the archetype of the supervillain, rather than the superhero, as well as meta commentary on the comic industry's status quo, the nature of stories and myths, and various other themes.

(And if you like it, Gillen continued Loki's story as part of an ensemble in Young Avengers, and Loki: Agent of Asgard by Al Ewing is a fun follow-up to that.)

I’d absolutely agree with this. I’m not super well read comicswise but I adored Gillen’s JiM

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Has anybody read the new Firefly ongoing written by Greg Pak? Firefly really didn't hold up as well as I remembered whenever the last time I went back to it was, but Pak's a good writer.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Gideon Falls good? I was looking at Lovecraft Country and Amazon had it undeneath "People also bought", and well, it's written by Jeff Lemire, and that dude has the skills to pay the bills.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Lemire sets up the story pins but it's Andrea Sorrentino who bowls everyone over with one killer visual after another. His cover work alone's enough to justify taking a look, but the interiors match and exceed them, whether you're reading a quiet dialog scene or Things Getting Weird.

I think it's best enjoyed with the least exposure, so no pics from me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I haven't read it yet but Lemire has yet to disappoint so I'll assume its worth it

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
If I wanted to read the core Spider-Verse stuff, what would I need to track down? Trades are preferable. I feel like its going to be a lot..

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

New Leaf posted:

If I wanted to read the core Spider-Verse stuff, what would I need to track down? Trades are preferable. I feel like its going to be a lot..

Endless Mike posted:

I can't think of anything that matches that particular art style, but for the characters:

There's Spider-Gwen starring Spider-Gwen. There's a 5 issue miniseries followed by a 34-issue ongoing. It crosses over with Miles for a couple issues. I haven't read this other than the crossover (which was fun), but it had its fans.

For Miles: Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man, all written by Brian Michael Bendis, and Saladin Ahmed just started Miles Morales: Spider-Man. He also has a pretty important role in Secret Wars, but recommending that kind of requires recommending all of Hickman's Avengers, too (which is fantastic, mind, but it's a lot).

For Spider-Man Noir there's Spider-Man Noir and Spider-Man Noir: Eyes Without a Face, neither of which I've read, but other than the Spider-Verse and Spider-Geddon miniseries, that's about it for him. (I think SP//DER comes from these as well, though the design is way different and I have no idea if they're remotely similar characters as I haven't read either of them.)

Older shlubby Peter isn't really a thing, though the recent Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man series by Chip Zdarsky is a good Spider-Man series with some dimension-hopping stuff if that's your bag.

Most or all of this should be available on Marvel Unlimited. (Spider-Geddon is probably not there just yet, but will be eventually.)

You can also join us over in the Newspaper Spider-Man thread for a less, uh, competent Peter.
Also Peter Porker: The Spectacular Spider-Ham

If you just want the Spider-Verse miniseries/event, then that should be easy enough to track down.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Endless Mike posted:

Also Peter Porker: The Spectacular Spider-Ham

If you just want the Spider-Verse miniseries/event, then that should be easy enough to track down.

Beautiful, thanks!

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Hey yall I want to get a gift for a friend whose a wolverine fan but not necessarily a big comics reader, what's the best wolverine story?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Hey yall I want to get a gift for a friend whose a wolverine fan but not necessarily a big comics reader, what's the best wolverine story?

It's not the best by a long shot, but the original Old Man Logan story is decent with some hosed up parts and completely self contained.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

It's a bit dated these days but I think the Claremont/Miller miniseries from 1982 still holds up.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm looking for Iron Man comics for my girlfriend, who loves RDJ Iron Man. She's not a comics fan so I want something that doesn't require extensive context.

I guess nothing older than 2000, unless the story is very timeless/self-contained (I liked Demon in a Bottle but I don't think it's right up her alley)? My picks are Extremis, Fraction/Larroca run, and maybe Gillen's run, but ugh Greg Land...

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Fraction is the longest but definitely my favourite.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm looking for Iron Man comics for my girlfriend, who loves RDJ Iron Man. She's not a comics fan so I want something that doesn't require extensive context.

I guess nothing older than 2000, unless the story is very timeless/self-contained (I liked Demon in a Bottle but I don't think it's right up her alley)? My picks are Extremis, Fraction/Larroca run, and maybe Gillen's run, but ugh Greg Land...
The second arc in Fraction's run is super tied into the continuity of the time, it's during Dark Reign so you have to explain that whole deal, plus a bunch of people kinda hate him because of Civil War.

Armor Wars is good and relatively self contained. It's a little dated in the sense that Tony has a perm and it's before his identity was public, which was never the status quo in the films. There's also a joke about Bill Cosby.

Ultimate Human by Warren Ellis is a decent Iron Man/Hulk team-up in the Ultimate universe. Bendis' run is good until it runs head long into Civil War 2, but that part doesn't need as much context Dark Reign, just Rhodes is dead and Tony is in a coma because Captain Marvel is a fascist.

Edit: the Cosby panel

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 1, 2019

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Skwirl posted:

lmao

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

That's incredible.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. However, I'm thinking that an art book/guidebook might be a better option?

There's this Iron Man: The Ultimate Guide to the Armored Super Hero (https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Man-Ultimate-Guide-Armored/dp/0756657490), and The Art of Iron Man (https://www.amazon.com/Art-Iron-Man-10th-anniversary/dp/1785659502), based from the reviews they don't look like cheap cash grabs. Anyone thoughts?

radlum
May 13, 2013
If I wanted to read a Harley Quinn run, where should I start? New52? Rebirth? Gotham City Sirens?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Injustice and only Injustice. Main Universe Harley Quinn is almost universally terrible.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Agree that injustice Harley is the way to go.

But I was generally ok with the Amanda Connor / Palmiotti Harley run from a few years back where she moves to another city and becomes friends with ransoms in her building. Lots of wacky hijinks and hanging out with Poison Ivy, not much creepy terribleness with Joker.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I enjoyed Harley for a while, it was stupid but fun, and it did some work to make Harley come into her own and deal with her baggage left from joker, but around rebirth I'm not sure what was going on behind the scenes but it just veered off a cliff in quality and i ended up dropping it after a few months

site fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 10, 2019

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

In hindsight, this reads really sarcastically, like Tony is an even worse sex pest than him.
Is the blinking his eye?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

In hindsight, this reads really sarcastically, like Tony is an even worse sex pest than him.
Is the blinking his eye?

Back then, Bill Cosby was an almost universally-beloved father figure and the most wholesome guy on TV aside from Mr. Rogers. The Cosby Show was huge, and he was in all kinds of popular commercials. Nobody had a clue.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Back then, Bill Cosby was an almost universally-beloved father figure and the most wholesome guy on TV aside from Mr. Rogers. The Cosby Show was huge, and he was in all kinds of popular commercials. Nobody had a clue.

Yeah, I know. It's not like Weinstein were thus poo poo was an open secret.

But it's not exactly that nobody knew about it. They were just quite eager to sweep that kinda stuff away to preserve the ideal father figure. It's really gross.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Since getting Marvel Unlimited a few months ago I've started reading Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man and X-Men since the beginning. These have been good but I've just reached the Roy Thomas X-Men issues and it's gotten shite. Would I be missing out on much if I just skipped ahead to Giant Size X-Men?

Also it's very weird how Mary Jane keeps calling Peter "Dad". I'm sure it was perfectly reasonable 60s lingo but it's just weird.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pat Mustard posted:

Since getting Marvel Unlimited a few months ago I've started reading Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man and X-Men since the beginning. These have been good but I've just reached the Roy Thomas X-Men issues and it's gotten shite. Would I be missing out on much if I just skipped ahead to Giant Size X-Men?

Yes, absolutely you would be missing something. However, that doesn't mean don't skip ahead. Silver age X-Men is pretty awful, but at issue 50 Jim Steranko took over the art for two issues. Then Neil Adams took over the art until the re-runs started. Sadly, both are written by Roy Thomas, but you cannot skip the art on these books. Both Steranko and Adams are hugely influential and have a very tiny body of work for Marvel, which makes it worth reading those issues.

I think Thomas actually gets better later in his career when he's not trying to be Stan Lee 2 and simultaneously hold Marvel Comics together and write all of the key books, but that's a ways off.

LouisF
Mar 16, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got hired at a store today. Anything in particular I could upsell?

The owner has a collection of many older prints, as well.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pat Mustard posted:

Also it's very weird how Mary Jane keeps calling Peter "Dad". I'm sure it was perfectly reasonable 60s lingo but it's just weird.

Gonna suggest that you pick up Thor. IMO it’s the best series Stan and Jack worked on together.

For x-men I agree with Random Stranger and recommend jumping to the Steranko and Adams issues (it’s a cool little story) and then it ends anyway.

Not sure when I’d drop FF, because it’s still decent in the 70s, but ASM stays good for a very long time.

If you’re in the era, I’d also recommend making pit stops with Dr Strange and Shield Agent of Fury (the Steranko run is maybe my favourite run of comics ever... it’s crazy how much he advances the medium). I’ve posted some runs over on the live-blogging comics thread.

There’s a lot of mediocre comics, but some surprisingly great and underlooked stuff from that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The buzz about the movie makes me realize I don’t know anything about The Eternals, are there are good stories with them? I seem to remember a MAX run back in the day that I’d swear I read but couldn’t tell you a single thing about.