Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Fun little tip: you can pause the game while looting things, even when switching between objects. Just lift entire containers full of crap, so long as you have even a single unobserved millisecond it ain't no thing. I exploit this for all it's worth, which is plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tarezax posted:

I still need to train up my stealth, as it's only 7 or so atm. For now I'm just relying on being entirely outside of sight lines while I loot containers.

A good way to train is to Shadow a running battle at night if you can. I had four characters shadow a massive fogman/cannibals battle and jumped their stealth up to 60 very quickly and hassle free.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I think it's by num units + unit strenth + being hostile so you can shadow large patrols of hostiles for the same thing. Foglands and swamp are good for this, since nighttime gives such a huge bonus to stealth just wait till night and stealth people across dangerous creatures and they'll be in their 50s in no time at all. They have to be moving for the skill raise though.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 23, 2019

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
A couple days later most of my characters have 30+ stealth and my main is at 52 or so. Desperately sneaking my wounded to the next town really helped bump that up.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Suspicious lab in the north of the Floodlands :discourse:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There wouldn't happen to be a mod that removes the +5 relationship cap with healing members of a faction would there?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Leal posted:

There wouldn't happen to be a mod that removes the +5 relationship cap with healing members of a faction would there?

Where did you read it caps at 5?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Party In My Diapee posted:

Where did you read it caps at 5?

Looks like I've made a mistake and confused 5 for 25, which isn't helped that a faction I've been trying to buddy with wont go above 5.00079 relations. Is there one that lets me go beyond that :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There's a mod that will give you relationship for doing things like owning a building in a faction's towns, paying your taxes or participating in prayer day. It isn't much and it only works for the big guys, but it adds up. Otherwise, gaining faction status is just to much of a grind to be worth it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The cannibal hunters will never notice me :saddowns:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

bees everywhere posted:

If your ninjas are strong enough you can give them wooden backpacks to keep in their inventory, then pull them out while looting to stack stuff into. The hardest thing to loot is generator cores since they're so drat heavy but you can fit a lot onto one person otherwise. The encumbrance will start to degrade your stealth but then another solution is to post someone up outside the building and just hand the wooden backpack to them when it starts filling up.

Another thing to note for first-time stealthers - Ancient Science Books, Engineering Schematics, and AI Cores are must-loot items if you have any sort of a base. Every other item in these sites that has a use other than sale (e.g., skeleton muscles, robotics components) can be manufactured on your base, albeit through a lengthy production chain.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I bought this game and built myself a nice little shack down by the river... which is mostly dry.

I mass produced some building materials and then assign two guys to be engineers to try and get walls up. For some reason these guys can't help themselves but ditch the building materials back into the storage box if not directly ordered to build something. Once whatever they built is done, like one section of wall, they ditch anything they had in their bags and go back to standing around like idiots even though their only job is engineer, it's turned on, and they have tons of materials in the box with unfinished buildings. It's like they have "haul to storage box" stuck as their top job no matter what I do. Anyone run into something like this before?

edit: this was happening this morning and loading it up now seems to have fixed it.

Comrayn fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 28, 2019

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Comrayn posted:

I bought this game and built myself a nice little shack down by the river... which is mostly dry.

I mass produced some building materials and then assign two guys to be engineers to try and get walls up. For some reason these guys can't help themselves but ditch the building materials back into the storage box if not directly ordered to build something. Once whatever they built is done, like one section of wall, they ditch anything they had in their bags and go back to standing around like idiots even though their only job is engineer, it's turned on, and they have tons of materials in the box with unfinished buildings. It's like they have "haul to storage box" stuck as their top job no matter what I do. Anyone run into something like this before?

edit: this was happening this morning and loading it up now seems to have fixed it.

You can turn this behavior off in the AI menu. I tend to leave it on though, otherwise automated workers tend to get their inventory clogged over time.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Vargs posted:

You can turn this behavior off in the AI menu. I tend to leave it on though, otherwise automated workers tend to get their inventory clogged over time.

It's not just that. It's got to be some kind of bug since the behavior stops once I restart. It happened again just a minute ago and restarting got them building no problem.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What's the hotkeys for rebuilding nav mesh etc.? Sounds like they are not finding a path to the next job in an expedient manner and you can probably avoid the reload with some of the utility hotkey stuff.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
My crappy town got taken over by the Band of Bones and the survivors fled to the swamp where they were quickly eaten by blood spiders. RIP

Is there any reason to do the normal lone guy start over the group of five? Seems like it's just skipping some tedious grinding unless you want to play top down skyrim.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Bought this game three years ago, played for an hour and a half and just bounced off. Reinstalled it today and somehow six hours passed. Mostly I've been mining around Squin to get seed money because that's safe. Well, safe-ish. Got the absolute poo poo kicked out of me by a dozen Starving Bandits, wound up mining furiously to afford a skeleton repair kit before half my team wore out from heavily damaged body parts degrading. I've got a mod that adds multiple free recruitable skeletons to each town (Or at least to the Hub and Squin) and it feels a little overpowered even if most of their stats are at 1 or lower. Though having a similar number of meatbags on my team would have cost me less in food than I needed for the repair kit.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Comrayn posted:

My crappy town got taken over by the Band of Bones and the survivors fled to the swamp where they were quickly eaten by blood spiders. RIP

Is there any reason to do the normal lone guy start over the group of five? Seems like it's just skipping some tedious grinding unless you want to play top down skyrim.

Difficulty. Plus it's fun to train up martial arts and just become a one-man/woman wrecking crew. With only 50 MA I've managed to take down entire UC patrols. Manhunters especially dislike me. It's fun when you start seeing people recognize you as the one who kicked (random name)'s rear end.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Comrayn posted:

Next time, flee to Squin, recover, and wait. The Shek don't take very kindly to the Band of Bones being on their doorstep.

I had the Band of Bones take over my town in my game. I fled, healed up, and resolved to make a last stand to recover my town. When I did though, I found the Shek Kingdom beating the living hell out of them instead so I go to reoccupy my town without much incident.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

thought okran's pride would be a good place to farm, as long as I kept my nonhuman residents out of sight from holy nation patrols. I was a fool! Raptors gobble my crops, and force my people into a frenzy. The raptors made Beep cry! Can outdoor farms be safely fenced off, or do I need a dozen guards just to harvest greenfruit?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FutonForensic posted:

thought okran's pride would be a good place to farm, as long as I kept my nonhuman residents out of sight from holy nation patrols. I was a fool! Raptors gobble my crops, and force my people into a frenzy. The raptors made Beep cry! Can outdoor farms be safely fenced off, or do I need a dozen guards just to harvest greenfruit?

Those fuckers will break through your gates just to try and get to your crops.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

that wonderful feeling when a wild bull you've raised from a pup, now an elder, abso-loving-lutely clowns an entire pack of blood spiders in one shot.

just kenshi things.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Well my second try (group of chumps off to build a new life) has ended after non-stop bandit raids. It started great, got a little farm going and was just getting walls up when suddenly the game decided it's bandit time. Groups of bandits would show up before the first had finished beating my band of losers up. Eventually I lost a couple guys to bleed outs because so many bandits would show up to fight each other for so long my guys playing dead couldn't get over to heal them. Finally quit when a group got stuck in a loop running back and forth between my empty building and a storage chest they didn't seem to find anything interesting in.

It seems like you've got to hobo adventure for a long time before trying to set up so your studs can beat up the bandits 1v10 or whatever.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Comrayn posted:

Well my second try (group of chumps off to build a new life) has ended after non-stop bandit raids. It started great, got a little farm going and was just getting walls up when suddenly the game decided it's bandit time. Groups of bandits would show up before the first had finished beating my band of losers up. Eventually I lost a couple guys to bleed outs because so many bandits would show up to fight each other for so long my guys playing dead couldn't get over to heal them. Finally quit when a group got stuck in a loop running back and forth between my empty building and a storage chest they didn't seem to find anything interesting in.

It seems like you've got to hobo adventure for a long time before trying to set up so your studs can beat up the bandits 1v10 or whatever.

Kenshi is full of weird systems like this. One way to survive these encounters (which I learned from Kral's Chosen beating the poo poo out of me, those guys are super-level bandits compared to the hungry/Dust bandits in the early game because they're 30-40 Strength/Toughness assholes toting planks) is to kite them away from your buildings. Yes, they will beat the poo poo out of you. But then they'll go back to running back and forth between your buildings and if you're far enough away, your guys can get back up, bandage themselves up, and go into town to heal up in a bed without them coming back to keep hitting you to death.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 1, 2019

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’ve had a lot of problems with bandits just standing over my dudes playing dead recently. Nothing for then to loot left, just standing there waiting. It’s real annoying.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So turns out mods for this game only work when connected to the internet. That's some serious jank.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Base ping pong bandits, or bandit corpse campers are usually pathing bullshit again getting them stuck in find-the-food loops. You can remedy with reloads or debug keys.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

Dareon posted:

So turns out mods for this game only work when connected to the internet. That's some serious jank.

That's all steam workshop, gotta copy the mods to your install folder for it to work offline.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Is there a way to teleport my dudes home? I went too far from civilization and am looking at a very nasty and slow march home!

edit: Found the answer in a google search. The dudes all lived to die another day!

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 1, 2019

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
PSA that Robotics Start on the Steam Workshop is extremely dope

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Million Ghosts posted:

PSA that Robotics Start on the Steam Workshop is extremely dope

It interfaces well with the mods that add more skeleton party members.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Wow, gently caress Beak Things. I'm strolling through the Bonefields, because that is apparently a thing I wanted to do. I see a Beak Thing strolling around in the distance. Okay, no problem, we can try and give it a wide berth. Nope, no good, it's got an incredible aggro range and is running towards us. Okay, standard plan: Pack bull and crossbowmen get some distance, rest of the team closes in. OH JESUS AOE. Well, we killed it, now let's patch ourselves up and keep- another one?! Oof, okay, that was tough. Now, let's patch ourselves up. Good, now we can keep mov- OH gently caress NOT AGAIN. All right. Okay. It's dead. We're patched up. Maybe we should be sneaking. Nope, gently caress, nope, they see us, there's three coming in, RUN! Can't run, they've got 11 mph on us. Spread out, keep them separated, flank them. Oh jesus, oh jesus, all my fleshies are down... But my skeletons are pretty handily soloing each of them.

I wound up frantically shuffling repair kits and bandages, letting one skeleton patch people up while another soloed the last beak thing with an amazing display of weapon defense, and a third frantically yanked building materials off the unconscious pack bull and threw down a hut on the side of the road. Now I'm just huddled in there waiting for my meatbags to heal. Fortunately I had a couple of sleeping bags, and those beak things and the couple of wolves that joined the party gave me enough meat to survive on for a while. I'm halfway to Mourn, not sure if I want to try and continue, see if I can scrape together enough cash for another repair kit, or try and sneak back out and go someplace less dangerous. Like the blood spider-filled swamp.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dareon posted:

Wow, gently caress Beak Things. I'm strolling through the Bonefields, because that is apparently a thing I wanted to do. I see a Beak Thing strolling around in the distance. Okay, no problem, we can try and give it a wide berth. Nope, no good, it's got an incredible aggro range and is running towards us. Okay, standard plan: Pack bull and crossbowmen get some distance, rest of the team closes in. OH JESUS AOE. Well, we killed it, now let's patch ourselves up and keep- another one?! Oof, okay, that was tough. Now, let's patch ourselves up. Good, now we can keep mov- OH gently caress NOT AGAIN. All right. Okay. It's dead. We're patched up. Maybe we should be sneaking. Nope, gently caress, nope, they see us, there's three coming in, RUN! Can't run, they've got 11 mph on us. Spread out, keep them separated, flank them. Oh jesus, oh jesus, all my fleshies are down... But my skeletons are pretty handily soloing each of them.

I wound up frantically shuffling repair kits and bandages, letting one skeleton patch people up while another soloed the last beak thing with an amazing display of weapon defense, and a third frantically yanked building materials off the unconscious pack bull and threw down a hut on the side of the road. Now I'm just huddled in there waiting for my meatbags to heal. Fortunately I had a couple of sleeping bags, and those beak things and the couple of wolves that joined the party gave me enough meat to survive on for a while. I'm halfway to Mourn, not sure if I want to try and continue, see if I can scrape together enough cash for another repair kit, or try and sneak back out and go someplace less dangerous. Like the blood spider-filled swamp.

Beak things are very easy to deal with as long as you put everyone on hold and have them 1v1. If there are multiple beak things make sure your 1v1 fights are spread out a bit. They're terrible at doing any damage at all to a single character but the aoe is guaranteed to land and super gently caress up everyone nearby.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Beak things are attracted to dead bodies. Dead beak things count

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Average Bear posted:

Beak things are attracted to dead bodies. Dead beak things count

Right when you think you are done, their kinsmen smell the blood. They are coming

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It's a good habit to pull everybody a few hundred feet away from the battlefield, go into sneak, then heal up. Also, collect a cutlet or a patch of skin from every downed beak thing to keep them from ever getting back up

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I have no idea how this game flew under my radar for so long, but Steam recommended it to me and looks like exactly the kind of janky poo poo that I love. Any starting out tips while I'm installing?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Agean90 posted:

that the game explicitly tells you that the only way to get stronger is to it get your rear end kicked a bunch

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088?lang=en

but completely sincerely

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

NeurosisHead posted:

I have no idea how this game flew under my radar for so long, but Steam recommended it to me and looks like exactly the kind of janky poo poo that I love. Any starting out tips while I'm installing?

There is strength in numbers. Learn from the hungry and the dust bandit - if there's more of you, you'll probably win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I got this game today, made some money mining with the wanderer start, then got murdered by some bandits. Think I'll try a different start, maybe slaver or guy with a dog next.