Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

Flopsy posted:

Sure you can! Hell ask for more stuff I'm serious.

Thanks a bunch!

The Great Burrito fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lugubrious posted:

If the shiny Munchlax and Rowlet are still available, I'd love to take them off your hands. Snorlax and Decidueye are my two favorites and having shinies would be incredible.

Oops! sorry I logged off before I read your message! Can you shoot me over a FC and IGN?

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 1, 2019

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Flopsy posted:

Oops! sorry I logged off before I read your message! I can get back online and give you the rest if you want?

If you're up for it then absolutely, I can get on right now too. My friend code is 0061 - 6256 - 2263 and I'm pretty sure my in game name is Teddy Bear.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lugubrious posted:

If you're up for it then absolutely, I can get on right now too. My friend code is 0061 - 6256 - 2263 and I'm pretty sure my in game name is Teddy Bear.

Okay just punched the numbers in. I'm getting online again now.

edit :I am online right now and ready to go!

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 1, 2019

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Gonna pick Scorbunny and name him Hot Cross Bun.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nessa posted:

Gonna pick Scorbunny and name him Hot Cross Bun.

I'm hoping for a spring heeled jack inspired evo for that one.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Flopsy posted:

Okay just punched the numbers in. I'm getting online again now.

edit :I am online right now and ready to go!

Sorry, I've only ever done local trades. I'm assuming I have to go to the festival plaza and hit trade, but which option do I select after that?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lugubrious posted:

Sorry, I've only ever done local trades. I'm assuming I have to go to the festival plaza and hit trade, but which option do I select after that?

There's a blue connection icon in the corner you might need to hit. I've been looking for you so I'm not sure you're logged in. Afterwards check your friends list under link trade, I will be on there under Kane.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I am also on team No Random Encounters but given the sheer number of these things and the fact that that will probably break 1000 with the new game I completely understand not being able to do it fully Let's Go style. I agree with another poster that it should done Persona-style though with visible and avoidable encounters. Maybe even a different "shape" per type or something to make the RNG a little less annoying.

i hope at least the transitions are shorter. theres too much waiting before you can even run away

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm gonna name Sobble Lazy because he looks like the thing from Ni No Kuni 2 and one day I was playing it and thinking "What's his name? Lazy. Lazy stop gettin suck on the geometry"

his name is lofty

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Flopsy posted:

There's a blue connection icon in the corner you might need to hit. I've been looking for you so I'm not sure you're logged in. Afterwards check your friends list under link trade, I will be on there under Kane.

It says I'm connected to the internet, but you aren't showing up under Link Trade :(

Though apparently my IGN is Joshua, not Teddy Bear

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lugubrious posted:

It says I'm connected to the internet, but you aren't showing up under Link Trade :(

Did you put in my friend code? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Flopsy posted:

Did you put in my friend code? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

In the actual DS friends list thing? Yeah. Sorry, if this is too much hassle we can do it some other time

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lugubrious posted:

Lugubrious I've been online for sixteen minutes now and I can't find you. Maybe try a few internet trades and see if those are working because I need to go to bed now. I'll keep your Rowlet and Munchlax on hold until then. Sorry this has been rough buddy. :(

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Flopsy posted:

Lugubrious I'v been online for sixteen minutes now and I can't find you. Maybe try a few internet trades and see if those are working because I need to go to bed now. I'll keep your Rowlet and Munchlax on hold until then. Sorry this has been rough buddy. :(

I know I'm online because I keep getting random link trade requests from people who are not named Kane, haha. No problem, sorry it was such a bother.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lugubrious posted:

I know I'm online because I keep getting random link trade requests from people who are not named Kane, haha. No problem, sorry it was such a bother.

We'll try again tomorrow. :)

Plate
Jul 5, 2006
Love for the rest of us
Fallen Rib
I've added you Flopsy, my code is 1907-7994-3889 should be Gnat, IGN: Lumitar. I'd love a shiny Shaymin and the Eevee and Sylveon whenever we manage to trade. I'm online before work for a bit now, and should be around over most of the weekend.

Edit to add: if you get a chance to rename the Sylveon to Brandestoc and the Eevee to Scramasax, that would be awesome, but if not, no worries (just thinking ahead to what theme I'll go with for Pokemon Sword).

Plate fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 1, 2019

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Man. Imagine if the language selection menu for Sword/Shield has the US flag next to "English".
Oh man.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So is this going to be like the mainline games or is Let's Go the new normal?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Star Man posted:

So is this going to be like the mainline games or is Let's Go the new normal?

Mainline, random encounters and all

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Winklebottom posted:

Mainline, random encounters and all

Cool. Now I just have to wait and see if a hardware revision is coming for the Switch or if there will ever be a price drop (there will never be a price drop).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I hope the plot of the games is I get to overthrow the monarchy with my sad chameleon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

at the very least Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution allows us the opportunity to get a version of that story free of Minnesota Vikings and them simplifying Mewtwo's motivations to "lol destroy the world" and inventing prophecies that don't exist.

Hope TCPi takes it.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

at the very least Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution allows us the opportunity to get a version of that story free of Minnesota Vikings and them simplifying Mewtwo's motivations to "lol destroy the world" and inventing prophecies that don't exist.

Hope TCPi takes it.

Whats the Minnesota Vikings reference in the original?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Winklebottom posted:

Whats the Minnesota Vikings reference in the original?

Jessie and James row up to Ash and co. to ferry them across the strait to Mewtwo's island, and they're disguised as vikings. Brock says "I didn't know Vikings were still around", and Ash replies "They mostly live in Minnesota."

Like, on its own, it's not a big deal, even the Japanese version has references to stuff from real life, but it's just one of many things 4Kids shoved into the script because they thought kids would get bored if they didn't have a joke coming at them every five seconds.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And they couldn't even reference the baseball team that Nintendo owned.

If it's a shot-for-shot remake, maybe the old movie's visuals with the new movie's audio might be ideal.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
As a Minnesotan, I support the idea that the state is part of the Pokémon world

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it sucks that they put a joke in the pokémon movie, at the part where they’re disguised as vikings

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Whoa an anime for children in the 90s was localised to have references to western properties?

Actually as an Australian that was a very confusing line for me back when so

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

oddium posted:

it sucks that they put a joke in the pokémon movie, at the part where they’re disguised as vikings

Read my posts. I said there’s nothing wrong with the joke itself, on its own. The problem is 4Kids’ while overbearing approach to humor, which is to overstuff the script with them while dumbing down everything else.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
That sort of joke is usually written for parents, actually, not the kids. The kids are unlikely to know who the Minnesota Vikings are anyway.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A football team isn’t exactly what I’d call a highbrow or obscure reference. Also in the 90’s I remember sports teams selling merch to kids and all sorts of kids in my grade wearing shirts with logos and ball caps and seeing toys of mascots. Sunday football was a family thing, especially in rural communities.

But I digress. Again. The problem isn’t the joke itself. I already said that the original version had references to real life things. James even references a baseball player by name in a Japanese episode of the first season. It’s that 4Kids tried to “punch up” the script and be totally obnoxious about it, adding humor excessively where it wasn’t before, while doing other poo poo like making the whole conflict of the movie more black and white and adding plot points like the bullshit that blue haired lady spouts about prophecies in order to remove any ambiguity about what happens later.

It’s a terrible dub not because of any one thing, it’s a terrible dub because of multiple things, least of all not respecting kids’ intelligence or attention spans in regards to a story that’s not really very hard to understand already.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

im crawling in the Miinnesota Vikings Joke desert about to give up hope of ever being free. the sun beats a down on me like a solrock, or a castform sunny, or a solgaleo i guess. as the mandibuzz begin to circle i finally see my oasis. a janky 3d nostalgia cash in here to release me from this pc box of suffering

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

oddium posted:

im crawling in the Miinnesota Vikings Joke desert about to give up hope of ever being free. the sun beats a down on me like a solrock, or a castform sunny, or a solgaleo i guess. as the mandibuzz begin to circle i finally see my oasis. a janky 3d nostalgia cash in here to release me from this pc box of suffering

do you suppose pokemon in the pc box are uncomfortable if you set the background to "desert"? I feel bad now

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i don’t think a sandshrew would or anything. but the ice ones probably don’t like it

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

lol if you don’t match the wallpaper to pokemon types

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I'm more into them changing the scene where Team Rocket names cgi silhouettes, and does it wrong. Alakazam is not a Scyther.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9xbcJT8Ah4

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Hardcore English dub fans would probably pass up on the movie because it doesn't have the original voice cast in it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zuzie posted:

Hardcore English dub fans would probably pass up on the movie because it doesn't have the original voice cast in it.

I have a hard time accepting that anyone is a "hardcore" fan of a 4kids dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TaurusOxford posted:

I have a hard time accepting that anyone is a "hardcore" fan of a 4kids dub.

People were really really into the Jessie and James voices apparently