Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Mackers posted:

We got a glass bin, a paper bin, a plastic bin and a food bin. Good luck filling a black landfill bag after that. Basically reserved for broken poo poo and the odd bit of grease-covered tinfoil

I presume it's different in England?

Bin for recycling, bin for general waste, and a scrap food bin in some areas. You can also get a subsidised compost bin from the council.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

JFairfax posted:

Blair literally was a secret Catholic though.

He is now not secretly a Catholic, he converted after he left office.

After 30 years as a closet Catholic, Blair finally puts faith before politics

Outgoing PM seizes early opportunity to convert free of dilemmas of public role

His spiritual awakening goes back at least 30 years, to his time as an undergraduate at Oxford, but due to political considerations Tony Blair's conversion to Catholicism has been a long time coming.

He has been attending Catholic mass, often with his family but also occasionally alone, since long before he became prime minister. His wife, Cherie, is a lifelong and practising Catholic, and in accordance with church rules their children have been brought up as Catholics and were sent to church schools.

More than 10 years ago Mr Blair was slipping into Westminster cathedral and occasionally taking communion, until the late Cardinal Basil Hume told him to stop because it was causing comment as he was not a Catholic - an injunction that bemused him at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2007/jun/22/uk.religion1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbmIMbKZa4

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Regarde Aduck posted:

The British empire collapsed years ago you weirdos.

Jesus loving christ my council keeps trying to reduce rubbish collection to once a month and you think we have an empire. PISS.

Some British lefties have a weird problem where they seem to think because poor people and problems exist in the UK they are therefore some kind of put upon non-aligned proletariat country. But nah, um you're just a retired evil empire still? An old man version of America that plays bingo and only sometimes bombs the middle east rather than all the time? And has TONS of bastard child problems all over the world you stopped paying alimony to decades ago. But I guess the garbage doesn't get picked up so...

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Grape posted:

Some British lefties have a weird problem where they seem to think because poor people and problems exist in the UK they are therefore some kind of put upon non-aligned proletariat country. But nah, um you're just a retired evil empire still? An old man version of America that plays bingo and only sometimes bombs the middle east rather than all the time? And has TONS of bastard child problems all over the world you stopped paying alimony to decades ago. But I guess the garbage doesn't get picked up so...

What are the put upon non-aligned proletariat countries?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
For some reason garbage pickup is always like 2 days from becoming a disaster in the UK. Like, it always comes up whenever there's civil unrest or a government funding issue.

Just dump it in the rivers like the days of Empire.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Imagine being such a nasty prick that you would describe disabled people dying in pools of their own poo poo as 'the garbage doesn't get picked up so...' and still pretend at some moral high ground.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

England's gonna dump their trash in the ocean then get forbidden from every having botes again after getting occupied by the EU for damaging crucial fisheries

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

A womans dystonia is playing up so she can't get to the food bank that day "Heh that's for the East India Company bitch" - Grape

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

twoday posted:

I believe you are referring to the Crown Dependency of the Pitcairn Islands, which is already out of the EU, as are all crown dependencies besides Gibraltar. The approximately 50 people who live there, descendents of the mutinous crew of the HMS bounty and their tahitian bride slave, despite being famous for their rampant incest and sexual abuse, each approximately are subsized to the tune of roughly ~£100k per person per year. Some part of that money is currently coming from the EU. It has been assumed that the UK will take over all the payments itself now, but it hasn't been widely discussed.

More screwed are the Baliwicks of Jersey and Guernsey that make up the Channel Islands off the coast of France. Much of their economy is fish based and much of their fish goes to the EU. Although they are not in the EU, when the UK pulls out of the EU, the legal framework for the relationship of the Islands with the EU (known as "Protocol 3" goes down the toilet. The will have to renegotiate this with the EU themselves. Historically the UK had more say in the foreign relations of the island but they are becoming more independent in recent decades. They still however swear allegiance to the Queen.

thanks for the real answer to my half joke bait to get someone to make a British isles joke, as I had actually begun to wonder what is going to happen to all the various dependencies and stuff that are still around. is Man in the same boat as the Channel Islands?

what about rural places in Scotland that I assume rely on some kind of EU regulation or subsidy to prevent them from being abandoned or turned into oil producing hellscapes? I read some BBC article about the last northernmost branch of the Royal Mail being moved progressively south as the towns became too small to sustain one so I guess that same process of rural death will just accelerate

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Mackers posted:

We got a glass bin, a paper bin, a plastic bin and a food bin. Good luck filling a black landfill bag after that. Basically reserved for broken poo poo and the odd bit of grease-covered tinfoil

Portsmouth recycles card, paper, tins and some plastics once every two weeks, general waste every week. I usually take all my glass and recyclable bags and bag type substances up the Tesco, so I basically only put a general waste bag out every three weeks or so

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pook Good Mook posted:

For some reason garbage pickup is always like 2 days from becoming a disaster in the UK. Like, it always comes up whenever there's civil unrest or a government funding issue.

Just dump it in the rivers like the days of Empire.

:iiam:

the Tories have eviscerated your country slowly and like the proverbial crab in a slowly boiling pot y'all got got

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Vitamin P always trying to ineptly stir up poo poo while everyone ignores it in this thread is kinda funny.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

JFairfax posted:

we should go further and give up Scotland, the channel islands and the Isle of Mann, and the Shetlands and Orkney.

and Cornwall, in fact Cornwall can be first.

This but unironically.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

twoday posted:

More screwed are the Baliwicks of Jersey and Guernsey that make up the Channel Islands off the coast of France. Much of their economy is fish based and much of their fish goes to the EU. Although they are not in the EU, when the UK pulls out of the EU, the legal framework for the relationship of the Islands with the EU (known as "Protocol 3" goes down the toilet. The will have to renegotiate this with the EU themselves. Historically the UK had more say in the foreign relations of the island but they are becoming more independent in recent decades. They still however swear allegiance to the Queen.

I kinda figured the Channel Islands were going to be OK regardless. I used to work for a company that provided local software to both Jersey and Guernsey's local councils. I had to fly there on a few occasions for on-site support and the people I worked with lived on a whole other level compared to similar council employees I'd worked with in England/Wales/NI.

Maybe on the books they're a fish-based economy, but I always thought they were tax-exempt havens like the Cayman Islands or Bermuda, funneling huge amounts of illicit cash through the City of London into their local banks and living off what they skimmed from the profits.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1101248292107767809

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Elevator Screamer posted:

I kinda figured the Channel Islands were going to be OK regardless. I used to work for a company that provided local software to both Jersey and Guernsey's local councils. I had to fly there on a few occasions for on-site support and the people I worked with lived on a whole other level compared to similar council employees I'd worked with in England/Wales/NI.

Maybe on the books they're a fish-based economy, but I always thought they were tax-exempt havens like the Cayman Islands or Bermuda, funneling huge amounts of illicit cash through the City of London into their local banks and living off what they skimmed from the profits.

Jersey is a tax haven basically owned by the Barclay brothers of Barclay's bank.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

JFairfax posted:

Jersey is a tax haven basically owned by the Barclay brothers of Barclay's bank.

Sark is the one the Barclay brothers attempted to own

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Titus groan ran away to sark when he became the dayman. something to keep in mind.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

jersey is definitely one of the worst commonwealth tax havens but it gets less attention because it feels less foreign than bermuda or the caymans

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lobster God posted:

Sark is the one the Barclay brothers attempted to own

Oh yeah that's the one, the stories about that are hilarious

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I'd pretty much forgotten about this guy until he just popped up on my youtubes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tlhOClzULs

Make every Monday Tit Monday.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Elevator Screamer posted:

I'd pretty much forgotten about this guy until he just popped up on my youtubes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tlhOClzULs

Make every Monday Tit Monday.

wow it's the epic rants man who blamed Donald Trump getting elected on "the left"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
don’t post that crypofash prick please

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I was told the islands were super inbred and closed minded,amongst the locals at least

when society collapses I don’t think bankers from the Home Counties are going to last very long

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vitamin P posted:

They're gonna make a corgi pokemon, it's gonna have a big evolution, and I'm going to get to defeat the Queen.

I'd doubt that but I remembered they made a poodle Pokemon for Poke-France

It's actually pretty badass and has an ability that halves physical damage, also you can take it to get all kinds of haircuts

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Mackers posted:

england pays to send their unsorted garbage to properly developed european countries that can take care of it

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Martout posted:

england pays to send their unsorted garbage to properly developed european countries that can take care of it

yeah that's what they do with their pensioners

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1101407548022931456

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have a friend who's an architect that specializes in sustainable infrastructure. She describes taking a train through the British countryside as one of the most harrowing experiences in her life.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Fun fact about those tax receipts: If a company moves its assets across borders, that is usually deemed a sale, which realizes a taxable profit. So even worst case Brexit will increase some tax bills. Makes you think. :thunk:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mackers posted:

All your recycling just goes to a land fill in china lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The US trade requirements got published yesterday

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/Summary_of_U.S.-UK_Negotiating_Objectives.pdf

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

lmbo this is so one-sided, you could reduce it to a single line 'remove all limitations, tariffs, restrictions against US companies and limit the capability of others to compete with them'

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I saw this while looking for programming advice: https://latin.stackexchange.com/questions/9204/how-to-say-brexit-in-latin

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoeMillerJr/status/1101424706769571842

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Jose posted:

All your recycling just goes to a land fill in china lol

Yeah soon as I posted it I remembered that fuckin documentary I saw where a big chuck of our recycled plastic goes to China

Where its turned to polyester Teddybear stuffing

And loving EVERYONE recycles those right?

My recycled plastic is producing Trumpbears :saddowns:

Mackers has issued a correction as of 13:45 on Mar 1, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tons of it just falls into the ocean too

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1101468191124013063

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The people of the Maldives are going to have to live on trash island.

No not the UK, the one made of floating plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Jose posted:

Tons of it just falls into the ocean too

someone with 20 years and a couple billion to spare should build some plastic harvester ships tbh