Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just ignore the fact that he's an charismatic buff sex haver

Chads and virgins didn't diverge until the 16th century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Another potential benefit to viceroyalties is that if you have your eye on a truly amazing councilor (an amazing steward or whatever the gently caress) you can give them a viceroyalty that you know will make them a 'powerful vassal' and eliminate that reason to bitch, too. When they die, the title comes back to you and can just be passed on to the next most competent councilor that you want working for you anyway.

I tend to prefer to install my distant relatives though, because frequently the viceroy/vicereine will try to award titles to their kids and the more of your kin you have out there ruling random places the more stable your dynasty is.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

Do viceroyalties not declare war or something? Sorry for being dense about this.

because they revert to you on death, they can't get collected by heirs via marriage shenanigans. if you grant someone a viceroyalty, they are loyal to you and then they die. if you grant someone a kingdom/duchy, they are loyal to you, die, and their their ambitious heir might come after you

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I personally wouldn't worry about viceroy duchies, though. That's just far too much work, for an empire. (Hmm, although now that I think about it, it might be OK to have viceroy duchies within your personal kingdom, perhaps? Just to make sure there's not just like, you and a super-duke or two)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

By the time you are an emperor if you have to worry about any combination of your direct vassal dukes coming after you then you have done something extremely wrong. Most of them shouldn't even be feudal, you should have at least one duchy as a merchant republic and another one as a theocracy - even if you are landlocked and the MR can't do much of anything, the point is that MR and theocracy vassals do not play 85% of the intrigue games that turn into problems for you to solve. This is doubly true if you do levy-focused vassal obligations on your theocratic vassals and the AI suddenly feels a lot weaker in comparison to you, even while you are building military buildings in their territory.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are there any benefits other than less scheming to install a theocratic vassal? Like merchant vassals make you a good amount of money (I think this is also still true even if not coastal?), is there any similar benefit for theocracies?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Coolguye posted:

By the time you are an emperor if you have to worry about any combination of your direct vassal dukes coming after you then you have done something extremely wrong. Most of them shouldn't even be feudal, you should have at least one duchy as a merchant republic and another one as a theocracy - even if you are landlocked and the MR can't do much of anything, the point is that MR and theocracy vassals do not play 85% of the intrigue games that turn into problems for you to solve. This is doubly true if you do levy-focused vassal obligations on your theocratic vassals and the AI suddenly feels a lot weaker in comparison to you, even while you are building military buildings in their territory.

Yeah, that's true. I dunno, I guess I'm just trying to find some kind of use for viceroy duchies! :v:

Actually, are there still all those vassal opinion requirements for changing crown laws, and the like? Or did that change with the council expansion? Since I guess it might be semi-useful, for that - since they'll at least love you for giving them a title, which will make that a little easier; for your personal kingdom, anyway.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Are there any benefits other than less scheming to install a theocratic vassal? Like merchant vassals make you a good amount of money (I think this is also still true even if not coastal?), is there any similar benefit for theocracies?

if you're catholic it's nice to have a ranking bishop in your back pocket for coronations. your vassal is a lot less likely to extort you for two of your limbs than the pope is and being crowned by a prince-bishop or above is still a pretty drat nice bonus. being a landed bishop also makes them a lot more likely to become a cardinal, which has its own benefits to you as the liege. beyond that not really, if you build the gently caress out of a ton of temples in your theocratic lands you can poke your head in to make sure they are building churches and schools because those give you liege piety, but that also implies that you're spending economic tech points on church infrastructure and just loving lol at that

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 28, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Also if you're Catholic and have free investiture you can nominate your sons to bishoprics to eliminate them from the line of succession, or nominate some sycophant to get a compliant vassal. Theocracies also make a decent amount of money, so crank up those church taxes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ABLF

Always Be Landing Family

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bold Robot posted:

It's not just less scheming, it's also less conquering. Before Paradox limited the players ability to grant land to republics and theocracies, one of the easiest ways to play the game was making all your vassals theocracies. They could never blob through inheritance, and they would never scheme or rebel against you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

theocratic vassals WILL roll some factions so you can see them revolting against you in that way, but you will never see them fabricating claims or trying to install claimants.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
My fav with viceroyalties was back when they just rolled that out but before they had Theocracy and MR restrictions and the Duke of Mecca led a revolt against my Byzantine empire. The war dragged on and because he was a theocracy the normal crown laws didn't work and he didnt give them away so when the rebellion finally ended I had to deal with the megatheocracy of Mecca

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I was not aware theocracies are beyond the usual rules, how far does this stretch? This might solve my problem that at least one of my vassals keeps on doing crap that I actually forbid by law, like going to war for no apparent reason that would justify him ignoring my laws.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If you have a courtier with a claim, under what circumstances will they become your vassal if you press their claim? Some of my courtiers have claims to a duchy that is not in my de jure kingdom. If I make one of these guys a vassal before I press his claim, will the duchy be my vassal after I press his claim? I don't mind handing out a county.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Bold Robot posted:

If you have a courtier with a claim, under what circumstances will they become your vassal if you press their claim? Some of my courtiers have claims to a duchy that is not in my de jure kingdom. If I make one of these guys a vassal before I press his claim, will the duchy be my vassal after I press his claim? I don't mind handing out a county.

He'll remain your vassal if:

1. He is of your dynasty OR
2. The title in question is in your de jure territory OR
3. He's landed when you press the claim.

So yeah, landing him ought to do the trick.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Goons Are Great posted:

I was not aware theocracies are beyond the usual rules, how far does this stretch? This might solve my problem that at least one of my vassals keeps on doing crap that I actually forbid by law, like going to war for no apparent reason that would justify him ignoring my laws.

At most 10% of your lands can be ruled by theocracies or (merchant) republics, and you cannot give them kingdom titles.

Edit: I'm not sure that this actually answers your question, what do you mean by "how far does this stretch"?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Torrannor posted:

At most 10% of your lands can be ruled by theocracies or (merchant) republics, and you cannot give them kingdom titles.

Edit: I'm not sure that this actually answers your question, what do you mean by "how far does this stretch"?

If I hand out a duchy to a theocracy, which is I think the highest title they can take, (right?) do they have to follow regular crown rules of the kingdom that duchy resides in and the empire that kingdom sits in, or are they separate and don't have to follow laws as they are a different government type?

Originally I assumed both theocracies as well as merchant republics of any level have to follow the same principles feudal an tribal governments do, however whenever I try it again I see weird stuff happening from those lands, like titles being given away outside of my realm for whatever reason, war being declared despite me forbidding it and sometimes even the weirdest hereditary rules coming up, even if it's just one duchy.

Usually I go around those problems by just never having theocracies but as there are provinces or even duchies that require you to be one (or if you land a vassal there they suddenly become one which is super confusing) I can't really avoid it entirely.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Goons Are Great posted:

If I hand out a duchy to a theocracy, which is I think the highest title they can take, (right?) do they have to follow regular crown rules of the kingdom that duchy resides in and the empire that kingdom sits in, or are they separate and don't have to follow laws as they are a different government type?

Originally I assumed both theocracies as well as merchant republics of any level have to follow the same principles feudal an tribal governments do, however whenever I try it again I see weird stuff happening from those lands, like titles being given away outside of my realm for whatever reason, war being declared despite me forbidding it and sometimes even the weirdest hereditary rules coming up, even if it's just one duchy.

Usually I go around those problems by just never having theocracies but as there are provinces or even duchies that require you to be one (or if you land a vassal there they suddenly become one which is super confusing) I can't really avoid it entirely.

They follow all the same laws that the feudal realms follow. There's also usually no problem with inheritances, since inland republics have commoner rulers replaced by other, spontaneously generated commoner rulers. It's a similar deal with theocracies, only merchant republics have dynasties that can complicate inheritances (but they make up for it by being cash cows).

I don't know how titles would end up outside the realm, except perhaps if the person you gave the duchy was part of a feudal dynasty, and was just made a bishop to disinherit him from normal succession? It's really strange. They also should not differ from your other vassals in regards to their ability to declare war.

Note that you cannot forbid certain kinds of wars. A count can always revolt against his duke when faced with getting his county revoked for example. And those crown laws only apply if the title in question is part of your de jure realm. If it hasn't drifted into your kingdom or empire yet, certain laws have no effect.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Torrannor posted:

They follow all the same laws that the feudal realms follow. There's also usually no problem with inheritances, since inland republics have commoner rulers replaced by other, spontaneously generated commoner rulers. It's a similar deal with theocracies, only merchant republics have dynasties that can complicate inheritances (but they make up for it by being cash cows).

I don't know how titles would end up outside the realm, except perhaps if the person you gave the duchy was part of a feudal dynasty, and was just made a bishop to disinherit him from normal succession? It's really strange. They also should not differ from your other vassals in regards to their ability to declare war.

Note that you cannot forbid certain kinds of wars. A count can always revolt against his duke when faced with getting his county revoked for example. And those crown laws only apply if the title in question is part of your de jure realm. If it hasn't drifted into your kingdom or empire yet, certain laws have no effect.

I see, that makes sense. I usually observe that many of my vassals tend to have rather strong connections to outside realms and don't always pay attention to what they might own there, so this might solve it.

The war thing though keeps on coming up, in current game even for a regular feudal viceking. For no reason he first pressed a claim on a neighboring province, then went to war about it to settle it, later went to war again to vassalize the guy who held it. The same vassal was a few years later able to declare holy war on another province to conquer it, even though I specifically forbid any kind of vassal wars in both my empire as well as his and every other kingdom (I always check the laws if I can before landing someone with it).

In both cases the viceking in question had his vice kingdom as part of my realm, but not part of my main title-empire. However I also held the actual de jure empire title on my own, as I was a double emperor, and the law there was the same as my main title, I assumed this shouldn't happen either way.
Or am I generally only able to push my vassals into the laws my main title is projecting?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pro tip:
Find someone with a claim to a enemy kingdom. Invite him over, give him a bishopric or a republic. Then press his claim. This should create a kingdom level theocracy or republic.

I did this by accident once creating the Theocracy of France.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Kinda bullshit that owning the Necronomicon doesn't give you a boost to Dark Power.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Bold Robot posted:

Kinda bullshit that owning the Necronomicon doesn't give you a boost to Dark Power.

drat that is bullshit.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, I think that following those early shenanigans they made restrictions and changed how factions work

The biggest issue was just that because they were an empire with my laws, they inherited it, not me, creating a ticking timer for the war of desperately trying to get all of it before they inherited too many titles

Bold Robot posted:

Wrong Dark Power

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Part of how CK2's supernatural system is entirely composed of ad-hoc disconnected bits with no real planning.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

The true knowledge that drives people mad: There's nothing useful in the book.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
New dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...20190301_for_dd

The wonders sound like they're gonna be really cool.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Part of how CK2's supernatural system is entirely composed of ad-hoc disconnected bits with no real planning.

Isn't that pretty true to IRL superstitions and weird occult beliefs?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Goons Are Great posted:

I see, that makes sense. I usually observe that many of my vassals tend to have rather strong connections to outside realms and don't always pay attention to what they might own there, so this might solve it.

The war thing though keeps on coming up, in current game even for a regular feudal viceking. For no reason he first pressed a claim on a neighboring province, then went to war about it to settle it, later went to war again to vassalize the guy who held it. The same vassal was a few years later able to declare holy war on another province to conquer it, even though I specifically forbid any kind of vassal wars in both my empire as well as his and every other kingdom (I always check the laws if I can before landing someone with it).

In both cases the viceking in question had his vice kingdom as part of my realm, but not part of my main title-empire. However I also held the actual de jure empire title on my own, as I was a double emperor, and the law there was the same as my main title, I assumed this shouldn't happen either way.
Or am I generally only able to push my vassals into the laws my main title is projecting?

Crown laws apply to vassals. If you give out a kingdom that has wars disabled it won't stop that king from declaring wars since he's not a vassal of that title.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Various Meat Products posted:

Crown laws apply to vassals. If you give out a kingdom that has wars disabled it won't stop that king from declaring wars since he's not a vassal of that title.

Oh yeah I know, hence why I try to do it for both the kingdom and the empire. Even though if the kingdom allows it and the empire does not, does that lead to the weird situation where duches can go to war but their king cannot?
Although I assume the NPC king can just change his crown laws himself again.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

FreudianSlippers posted:

The unification of the continent is proceeding nicely.

I'm actually getting large enough to stand a chance against the Abbasids in a straight fight and my current character formed a bloodline that allows him to do invasions at will. He's only 29 and most of his predecessors have lived to be 70+ so I think he stands a good chance at being the one to finish the job.

However sooner or later I will have to fight the HRE and they have about 80k troops. I only have half of that. If they ever have a civil war, they seldom do, I might be able to snatch the area because I don't think I can take the full brunt of their entire army plus holy orders if I try to take it all in one go. Though of course I might just nibble at it in a bunch of small wars until I've got it all but what is the fun in that?

oh an the Pope just called a crusade against for Thrace for some obscure reason.

Best bet is to be constantly attempting to destabilize the HRE and/or the abbisids through antagonizing and murdering (duel or assassination) Additionally, I assume you have a huge retinue by now (at least 8-10k standing troops) so it would also be in your best interest to be constantly raiding / evading those big empires forcing them to keep levies up to try and stop you. thus they spend money on troops, AND you might have a good opportunity to trap and kill smaller armies they send with your retinues overall reducing their troop count. This is made easier if they are already at war with someone else and are not rocking a single doomstack. You can even raise your own levies for larger raiding parties as I assume you are making hella money controlling all those trade posts in the subsaharan trade routes. Just attrition the gently caress out of them until you can take them straight up. Watch for plagues / epidemics as these can also be helpful in reducing troop counts and setting you up for a quick successful war.

Once you have sufficiently weakened them enough great holy war or invasion their rear end for the largest kingdom they got. Give that kingdom to your own dynasty. Rinse repeat. until you are the greatest existential threat in the world and can focus on other things like eugenics or whatever. Eventually you're king vassals will be doing much of the expanding. you can support them through giving them money and raiding their targets to trap and kill enemy armies or soften up counties so they can quickly take them. I'm doing a similar run and I havent actually done much "warring" for like 100 years. just supporting my vassals expansions and pursuing other non-expansion goals like creating a strong dwarf or genius dwarf. I have not been able to eugenics one yet but want to get an strong dwarf heir and have them be the best dueler in the world.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
How is possible to accumulate bloodlines? Ive saw characters in game with 2, 3 patrilineal bloodlines. Im probably being dumb, but I just cant understand how this might happen

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Elias_Maluco posted:

How is possible to accumulate bloodlines? Ive saw characters in game with 2, 3 patrilineal bloodlines. Im probably being dumb, but I just cant understand how this might happen

it depends on if the bloodline can be passed down through the mother as well as the father. if it can, then it's easier as you just invite these people to your court or otherwise set them up with marriages with other people in your dynasty that have bloodlines, then breed them and keep track of the kids so you can breed new bloodlines into the next generation. it's like how in earlier versions of the game you could play eugenics to get beautiful strong geniuses in your dynasty, except now it's just collecting bloodlines

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

You can pass on (most) patrilineal bloodlines through matrilineal marriage. Easiest way to do this as a player is to let your daughter inherit every now and then and matrilinearly marry someone with the bloodline you want, and then once it's in her son it'll be in your lineage forever.

Also some characters just start the game with more than one -- off the top of my head, most Hungarian kings have both the Attila and Arpad bloodlines.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I was talking about patrilineal marriages, sorry. In my game the woman who got the Latin Empire after the crusade in against Byz has 3, all pratrineal

I know patrilineal bloodlines can also go from mother to child when the marriage is matrilineal, but I though that in this case the child would get only the patrilineal bloodlines from the mother, but not the patrilineal bloodline from the father

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Nah, matrilineal marriages are essentially a bloodline cheat code. Almost all bloodlines are inherited father-to-child *and also* mother-to-child-if-matrilineal, so children of a matrilineal marriage get everything from the father and the mother.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Is there an easy way to find characters who are currently alive with the different bloodlines? I know that you can see the bloodlines and # of descendants in the ledger but when you click on the crest it takes you to the originator of the bloodline. I dont recall seeing a bloodline option in the character search.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ninjahedgehog posted:

Nah, matrilineal marriages are essentially a bloodline cheat code. Almost all bloodlines are inherited father-to-child *and also* mother-to-child-if-matrilineal, so children of a matrilineal marriage get everything from the father and the mother.

So thats how it works. The rest of my game will be dedicated to accumulate has many bloodlines as I can

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

EmbryoSteve posted:

Is there an easy way to find characters who are currently alive with the different bloodlines? I know that you can see the bloodlines and # of descendants in the ledger but when you click on the crest it takes you to the originator of the bloodline. I dont recall seeing a bloodline option in the character search.

On the bloodline page click on the blood drop next to the founder portrait, that should pop up a list of living people with that bloodline.

Elias_Maluco posted:

So thats how it works. The rest of my game will be dedicated to accumulate has many bloodlines as I can

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

note that bloodlines are a matter of social acceptance, not genetics. so if you have a husband who has a bloodline, but you roll seduction and gently caress one of your lowborn genius courtiers, as long as he believes you when you tell him the kid is his they will get his bloodline (along with the higher chance of Genius).

note further that Trusting husbands literally do not have an option but to believe you when you tell them the kid is his.