Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Pressure cooker carnitas were my least favorite dish I have cooked. Using the sous vide method was a bit better but the Dutch oven recipe from The Art of Mexican Cooking yields amazing results and is pretty drat forgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
How long do you have the pork shoulder under pressure? I tried it recently and was way underwhelmed.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
God drat I gotta admit the rancho gordo beans are expensive (compared to bulk beans) but completely worth the premium price.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

How long do you have the pork shoulder under pressure? I tried it recently and was way underwhelmed.

I had ~2” chunks and did them for 40 minutes, with 15 minute natural release. Took a while to come up to pressure and I could have gotten away with 30.

Finished under the broiler, then chopped. Unbelievably awesome. My whole house smells of pork, as it should.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
After I kept reading and hearing about it I went ahead and bought a 6 quart Instant Pot plus a accessory pack. Really looking forward to using it.

What should I make first!

I know people say by the biggest one but one of the huge problems I have is since it is just me I always actually make too much food and then I get really tired of eating the same thing over and over till its gone.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 28, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have the 3 quart and it can make over 2 pounds of beef stew at a time. I think the 6 is plenty for 99% of recipes except for stock.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hollismason posted:

After I kept reading and hearing about it I went ahead and bought a 6 quart Instant Pot plus a accessory pack. Really looking forward to using it.

I know people say by the biggest one but one of the huge problems I have is since it is just me I always actually make too much food and then I get really tired of eating the same thing over and over till its gone.

Simply don’t fill it all the way. Make carnitas!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Hollismason posted:

The little recipe book isn't bad. I also like the blog, Dad cooks dinner. My go-to is any balanced braising ingredients and chicken thighs. Be wary of recipes calling for more than a cup of water unless they are soup. Most ingredients will give off liquid and your dish will get soupy in hurry. More often now I'm only adding ingedients, never water. Yesterday I made beef stew and the only liquid added was about 1/3 cup of red wine and the final stew was perfect from all the liquid that came out of the beef, potatoes, carrots, celery, etc.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Colombian chicken stew.

It's so loving easy (only 5 ingredients), and so loving GOOD.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/colombian-chicken-stew-with-potatoes-tomato-onion-recipe.html

I made french onion soup last night.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/01/pressure-cooker-french-onion-soup-recipe.html

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a goon-recommended carnitas recipe for the IP?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hollismason posted:

Some inspiration: https://skillet.lifehacker.com/the-first-seven-things-your-should-make-with-a-new-inst-1790730616

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I had ~2” chunks and did them for 40 minutes, with 15 minute natural release. Took a while to come up to pressure and I could have gotten away with 30.

Finished under the broiler, then chopped. Unbelievably awesome. My whole house smells of pork, as it should.
Thank you, but being honest about my laziness, I am not ever going to cube a pork shoulder before making pulled pork

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

Can you link to a recipe?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/no-waste-tacos-de-carnitas-with-salsa-verde-recipe.html

I do the pork part of this for about 65 minutes at Meat / high pressure: put pork, oranges, onion, garlic, bay leaves, and cinnamon in IP and cook. When finished, fish out the not-pork parts, sprinkle with oil, and broil briefly until crisp. I usually skip the salsa.

This follows my usual method where I take a Serious Eats recipe that involves browning something, deglazing it by sautéing vegetables, putting everything back together and cooking in a Dutch oven for 4 hours as "put ingredient list (skip the broth) in IP, cook for as long as the meat calls for". Pork shoulder or stew beef falls apart 60-70 minutes, more delicate meats are much faster.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
do you still use oil or do you switch to broth?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I've decided on my first dinner! I am going to make Greek Style Chicken Thigh with Potatoes and Rice Pilaf. For Desert I am going to make cheesecake. I plan to go the classic route with just browning the chicken then seasoning olive oil and lemon , with oregano salt and pepper , then lay on top of some yukon potatoes.

SO EXCITED!

Also, I sent back the Lux and replaced it with the 6 quart Duo 7 in 1 as I did not realize that I was missing a function. I still get it on Saturday.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

For IP carnitas: squeezing orange juice and including a full onion with 5-6lbs pork is enough liquid, but a cup of water or broth won't cause problems. Drain, shred, and drizzle with oil for the broil step to help them crisp up.

I also probably violate all sorts of rules by trimming most of the fat off of pork shoulders: big chunks go into recipes like Cuban pork or sous vide / smoker (pulled, kalua, cochina pibil) where surface area or slicing it later matters, smaller pieces are for carnitas or adovada.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Anne Whateley posted:

Thank you, but being honest about my laziness, I am not ever going to cube a pork shoulder before making pulled pork
Cubing it definitely shaves some time off the cooking required, though. Also makes it not a complete pain in the rear end to sear, if you wanted to add even more work.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

For my greek style chicken thighs should I brown them in the Instant Pot or should I brown on the oven in cast iron?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

wormil posted:

The little recipe book isn't bad. I also like the blog, Dad cooks dinner. My go-to is any balanced braising ingredients and chicken thighs. Be wary of recipes calling for more than a cup of water unless they are soup. Most ingredients will give off liquid and your dish will get soupy in hurry. More often now I'm only adding ingedients, never water. Yesterday I made beef stew and the only liquid added was about 1/3 cup of red wine and the final stew was perfect from all the liquid that came out of the beef, potatoes, carrots, celery, etc.

I'm going to disagree here and say that the recipe book will taste bad no matter what you cook it with.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Costco country style boneless pork ribs. Thank me later.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Country ribs are like pork chops, not really like ribs or pork shoulders. They're delicious, just not great for pulled pork. I know you can cook a whole pork shoulder at once, I do it occasionally in the oven and all the time in my crockpot, I was just wondering about successful timing in the instant pot

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I got a pack of rib ends from the local place up here for 1.40 a pound. How long do I cook these at high pressure? Its 8 pounds of them.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Hollismason posted:

For my greek style chicken thighs should I brown them in the Instant Pot or should I brown on the oven in cast iron?

Cast iron is way easier in my experience, IP saute isn't great

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah but that fond

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dr. Krieger posted:

Cast iron is way easier in my experience, IP saute isn't great

It's better if you just put the pot on the stove then move it to the IP. It will brown like any skillet.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Anne Whateley posted:

My first try at pressure cooking was chile verde with a pork butt and I think my two mistakes were too much liquid and not enough cook time. Might have been the meat, too - I used pasture-raised pork, and it was a little leaner. I did about 1.5 lbs for 30 min on high but had maybe 24 oz of liquid in the pot which was way too much liquid. Chunked the meat up in rough pieces, browned it in the pot, dumped in some salsa + a little water. I ended up doing another 20-min cycle after the first, and still finished it for maybe 30-45 minutes in an oven. It ended up great, just took some extra effort.

In retrospect I should have browned/deglazed the meat in a separate pan (it's just way easier to do in an actual pan), used at least half the liquid, and probably gone for a starting cook time of 45-50 minutes. A little oven time is still good I think, just to get some crust on top and reduce the liquid a little.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

wormil posted:

It's better if you just put the pot on the stove then move it to the IP. It will brown like any skillet.

Huh never even considered that an option, great idea gonna try that next time

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

BraveUlysses posted:

God drat I gotta admit the rancho gordo beans are expensive (compared to bulk beans) but completely worth the premium price.

If you're anywhere near SF you can get them in bulk at the Rainbow Grocery co-op. I think Berkeley Bowl might have them in bulk as well. Still not as cheap as a bunch of bulk pinto beans or whatever but like you say, totally worth it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hollismason posted:

One pan less mess is always my preference. You may have to batch them however.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

mentalcontempt posted:

Can you link to a recipe?

heffray posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/no-waste-tacos-de-carnitas-with-salsa-verde-recipe.html

I do the pork part of this for about 65 minutes at Meat / high pressure: put pork, oranges, onion, garlic, bay leaves, and cinnamon in IP and cook. When finished, fish out the not-pork parts, sprinkle with oil, and broil briefly until crisp. I usually skip the salsa.

This follows my usual method where I take a Serious Eats recipe that involves browning something, deglazing it by sautéing vegetables, putting everything back together and cooking in a Dutch oven for 4 hours as "put ingredient list (skip the broth) in IP, cook for as long as the meat calls for". Pork shoulder or stew beef falls apart 60-70 minutes, more delicate meats are much faster.

I basically mashed Kenji's recipe (above) with this: https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-carnitas/

I used Costco pork country spare ribs, which are just slices of boneless pork butt. I know some country style ribs aren't, but the Costco ones were absolutely slices of butt, which was perfect for this application. It was like $2/lb and took literally a minute to cube up. I only did 40 minutes and it was still a little too long I think.

Finished them under the broiler the first day, reheated and crisped on the stove since then.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Can I get a recommendation for a accessory pack? I bought one from amazon and I am really disappointed in it. Everything is super tiny.

Also how do I convert this to cook in the pressure cooker?

https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/french-onion-chicken/

It seems pretty straight forward ( although I would use thigh meat of course)

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
Any recommendations for cooking time for dry (but soaked) hominy? Going to make pozole for dinner tonight, and will pressure cook the pork and hominy separately because I think the hominy doesn't need as much time as the pork shoulder, but would love to be able to do them together if the timing works out right.

I haven't found much information online that's just for the hominy and not for the whole stew made with canned hominy.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

quote:

And I just want to point out that I even though this dish is inspired by soup, it is not a soup, unlike the past four recipes I’ve posted which are all actual real live soup. #soupbsessed #sorrynotsorry #longlivesoupseason

Well, first you get a gun.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

idiotsavant posted:

My first try at pressure cooking was chile verde with a pork butt and I think my two mistakes were too much liquid and not enough cook time. Might have been the meat, too - I used pasture-raised pork, and it was a little leaner. I did about 1.5 lbs for 30 min on high but had maybe 24 oz of liquid in the pot which was way too much liquid. Chunked the meat up in rough pieces, browned it in the pot, dumped in some salsa + a little water. I ended up doing another 20-min cycle after the first, and still finished it for maybe 30-45 minutes in an oven. It ended up great, just took some extra effort.

Keep in mind that the Serious Eats pressure cooker pork chili verde recipe involves adding NO liquid and amazingly comes out bright and delicious. Just pounds of pork and a couple pounds of rough chopped veggies and you blend the veggies at the end. Hardly more effort than a jar of salsa but amazing results. So, yeah probably too much liquid.

I did notice that when making it in the instant pot I got a burn warning before it hit pressure, and had to toss in a little water. I think the IP’s just sensitive, I’ve also made it in my stovetop pressure cooker with no problems.

That one cooks 30min for 4lbs of pork cut into large chunks, and seemed perfect at that point.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html

EVG fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 2, 2019

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Hollismason posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a accessory pack? I bought one from amazon and I am really disappointed in it. Everything is super tiny.

Also how do I convert this to cook in the pressure cooker?

https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/french-onion-chicken/

It seems pretty straight forward ( although I would use thigh meat of course)

What sort of things are you looking for?

I just bought stuff separately. I like the Oxo silicone sling (it doesn't say it's an egg holder but it does that too and it's my most-used accessory combined with the metal trivet.), the Nordicware springform pans, got an extra set of seals from InstantPot themselves to avoid fakes, and haven't yet needed anything else that wasn't included. Might pick up another metal trivet or some silicone cupcake liners but haven't needed them yet.

As for your recipe, I think the oven finish is needed. Try googling around for it too, there's a lot of french onion chicken stuff floating around and you should be able to get something close it to it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Re: pork shoulders/picnics, I've been p-cooking them 80-90 minutes intact for fall off the bone tender, and they shred easily with 2 forks. Going forward I will cut them up to reduce time.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
May I please get a quick recommendation on cooking unsoaked pinto beans in the IP? I have a bag of beans, a carton of chicken stock, a white onion, 2 jalapenos, whole garlic cloves, couple carrots, a rotisserie roasted whole pork hock from roli roti. How many cups of beans and stock for how long under pressure?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Ranter posted:

May I please get a quick recommendation on cooking unsoaked pinto beans in the IP? I have a bag of beans, a carton of chicken stock, a white onion, 2 jalapenos, whole garlic cloves, couple carrots, a rotisserie roasted whole pork hock from roli roti. How many cups of beans and stock for how long under pressure?

Dad Cooks Dinner to the rescue again!

E: If I'm using fresher beans (like from the hippy bulk food store or the supermercado) I cut down on pressure cook time by 10m, but the full time could easily be needed for supermarket generic beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
thanks!

edit: so I put in:

1lb/2cups pinto
5 cups unsalted chicken stock
1 cup water
small chopped white onion
2 chopped carrots
1 clove garlic
a few dashes worcestershire
a teeny bit of paprika
a teeny but of cumin
a bit of dried oregano
1 tsp salt
the hock

40mins high pressure in the IP, 20mins left til I quick release.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 3, 2019