Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Advanced Squad Leader doesn't count 'cause its a board game :smuggo:

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beet Wagon posted:

dang yeah wow it's almost like procedural cities were dumb as poo poo and they should have stuck with the on-rails landing like I've been saying for threeeeeee yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssssssssssssssss

I wonder if Chris has figured out yet just how catastrophically dumb that choice was. Can he see it when he watches Rexzilla wasting the majority of his 6 hour stream in transit to the next LARPzone?

The sad thing is that even if they’d stuck to the friendly, funner Landing Zone plan, Chris would’ve figured out some other way to screw it up. He’s never not. The multiverse version of this story has longer odds than the Avengers versus Thanos. There are billions of ways Chris would’ve screwed this up. We’re just seeing this one.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

dang yeah wow it's almost like procedural cities were dumb as poo poo and they should have stuck with the on-rails landing like I've been saying for threeeeeee yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssssssssssssssss

just lol at wanting space in your spaceship game, just lol

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Counterpoint: https://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/LCSN/Eq/20010911_WTC/WTC_LDEO_KIM.pdf

Funnily enough, after the Oklahoma bombing there was a claim that there were multiple explosions reminiscent of a controlled demolition, but all it proved was that the right wing didn't understand the speed of sound in a solid.

Edit: Hmm. Wonder how a side-by-side comparison of the Citcon videos would show progress. At the moment they're treated as very isolated 'vertical slices' that somehow never really hit fruition.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 1, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

Well, we were only supposed to be talking the piss out of this game for six years, and it's not like we can just print out content for sale.

We've had a good run, though. It took them a while to set up development in such a way that they didn't constantly smack themselves in the head; we've lost a few people along the way, had a few laughs, couple of fights and we've built some solid bonds with some of the strangest people on the internet.

I admit, that is quite an eloquent and concise assessment of this thread.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

G0RF posted:

I wonder if Chris has figured out yet just how catastrophically dumb that choice was. Can he see it when he watches Rexzilla wasting the majority of his 6 hour stream in transit to the next LARPzone?

The sad thing is that even if they’d stuck to the friendly, funner Landing Zone plan, Chris would’ve figured out some other way to screw it up. He’s never not. The multiverse version of this story has longer odds than the Avengers versus Thanos. There are billions of ways Chris would’ve screwed this up. We’re just seeing this one.

There exists no algorithm that could brute force predict all possibilities for Chris Roberts screwing this up. The vastness is staggering.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

trucutru posted:

This is actually women't fault for having lumps and stuff all over the place. Like, have Kazan wear a regular men's shirt and stuff 2 thanksgiving turkeys inside that thing (e: the shirt, not Kazan) and see how well it fits afterwards

Sure, sometimes it feels like the crotch doesn't fit that well in my men's jeans but that's nothing a good pair of wool socks won't fix.

Well per CIG citizens we all know breasts are between 10-20 lbs. I mean what wonder technology could possibly support those in the future?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

So, what i'm hearing is, if CR gets Benedict Cumberbatch on board and mocaps him, the project can be saved!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

Yes but you see

* When Chris said that he was making great big cities and implied they were interactive that was good and amazing because nobody had ever done it before

* Then when he failed to deliver anything for three years that was good because they were obviously working on it behind the scenes and it was going to be like nothing we'd ever seen

* Then when the whole company started talking about these cities as though they are just now beginning to think about them and obviously dropping the more complicated version because it's impossible to implement, that was good and amazing because see they do understand scope creep and they're scaling back in order to deliver us the product we want!

And the same person can argue all three of these and not notice that they've completely 180'd, because it's not actually about the facts at all it's about never ever saying out loud that CIG is full of poo poo

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Agony Aunt posted:

So, what i'm hearing is, if CR gets Benedict Cumberbatch on board and mocaps him, the project can be saved!

I wonder if he tried. It seems in keeping with his star-collecting. Cumberbatch is a fantastic voice actor, too; the stuff he did for BBC radio is uniformly excellent, particularly Cabin Pressure and Rumpole of the Bailey.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ah, the scaling back of expectations is in full flow in the comments section. Worth a read for the giggles.

Remember when citizens crowed about all those cities being fully explorable, and this was all part of the reason why the game is having a massive delay.

In short, the more CI!G produces, i feel the more we are going to see this across the board. Tier 0 mining is still Tier 0 and looks nothing like the massive text written about how mining will look like (which i've said before sounds terrible, but personal opinion and all). Of course, CI!G could still produce mining like that, but it will be only after years and hundreds of millions in funding more I suspect, assuming they do/can/will.

As time goes on, and features are released, more and more backers will begin to understand the game CI!G promised, and the game they imagined, will never happen. Its impossible for that to happen anyway, since half of what CR has promised is incompatible with the other half.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

Yes but you see

* When Chris said that he was making great big cities and implied they were interactive that was good and amazing because nobody had ever done it before

* Then when he failed to deliver anything for three years that was good because they were obviously working on it behind the scenes and it was going to be like nothing we'd ever seen

* Then when the whole company started talking about these cities as though they are just now beginning to think about them and obviously dropping the more complicated version because it's impossible to implement, that was good and amazing because see they do understand scope creep and they're scaling back in order to deliver us the product we want!

And the same person can argue all three of these and not notice that they've completely 180'd, because it's not actually about the facts at all it's about never ever saying out loud that CIG is full of poo poo

:five:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

Cumberbatch didn't save the plot of Infinity War, but perhaps Roberts the great and powerful can make it work?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Agony Aunt posted:

As time goes on, and features are released, more and more backers will begin to understand the game CI!G promised, and the game they imagined, will never happen. Its impossible for that to happen anyway, since half of what CR has promised is incompatible with the other half.

During the hot months when the thread is more active, there are usually two schools of thought about how this is gonna go down. Some people think the Citizens are going to see all these failed promises and revolt, finally joining team NeverRoberts and initiating some kind of refund cascade. Other people (hello) think that Citizens are suckers with goldfish memories whose only overriding principle is "Never admit you were wrong" and anything CIG fails to do will be greeted with cheers and victory laps.

I am feeling pretty secure in my position. In the last year, the end is becoming clearer: Star Citizen is going to be a warm pile of piss with 150 pretty spaceships that don't do anything in a single solar system full of look-but-don't-touch art assets that don't contain any content, with no meaningful mechanics or progression of any sort, in an engine that strains and falls over with more than a dozen people on screen at once. Citizens have been on board for every step of that, why would they get off now?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

The most incredible thing to me is that in an infinite number of parallel universes where Chris Roberts is trying to make Star Citizen, there doesn't exist a single one in which he doesn't gently caress it up. Chris Roberts's ineptitude is a universal absolute - the laws of infinity itself must bend to it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Scruffpuff posted:

The most incredible thing to me is that in an infinite number of parallel universes where Chris Roberts is trying to make Star Citizen, there doesn't exist a single one in which he doesn't gently caress it up. Chris Roberts's ineptitude is a universal absolute - the laws of infinity itself must bend to it.

Yeah but that's because in the universes where Chris Roberts is successful he doesn't have to make Star Citizen in the first place, he makes Wing Commander 13 and Freelancer 8.

This entire endeavour is taking place precisely because Chris Roberts is a hack.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah but that's because in the universes where Chris Roberts is successful he doesn't have to make Star Citizen in the first place, he makes Wing Commander 13 and Freelancer 8.

This entire endeavour is taking place precisely because Chris Roberts is a hack.

An excellent unifying theory.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is maybe the most interesting post I have ever seen you made, friend :)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Bofast posted:

It really is. It's one of those statements that illuminates the dark corners of understanding where you get stuck on "this doesn't make sense, this doesn't make sense" and then you read a post like that and think "Oh my god, it ALL makes sense!"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bofast posted:

Thank you, I'll go back to shitposting now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

In retrospect I wish we would have sort of kept track of our own predictions of demise we've made over the years so we could laugh at them. Most of us are amazed this dumpster fire is still burning brighter than the sun.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

In retrospect I wish we would have sort of kept track of our own predictions of demise we've made over the years so we could laugh at them. Most of us are amazed this dumpster fire is still burning brighter than the sun.

I had predicted Valentine's Day 2017, I believe.

And honestly, when they sold that two-ship pack, neither of which could be transferred, I felt like I had been vindicated.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
"I think [Theranos] is probably the... the... most interesting fraud case I've dealt with. Bernie Madoff would be second."

:vince: MIC DROP :vince:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I had predicted Valentine's Day 2017, I believe.

And honestly, when they sold that two-ship pack, neither of which could be transferred, I felt like I had been vindicated.

The one that blows my mind is SQ42 when old eight ace said late 2017. I thought there is no way in hell it could be that late. Man was I wrong. :lol:

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Colostomy Bag posted:

And to think we laughed when they started an online archive. Such bitter tears I am weeping now! :argh:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

"If given enough time, we would have gotten it right" is really just a common deflection here, I'm hearing it so much.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

The one that blows my mind is SQ42 when old eight ace said late 2017. I thought there is no way in hell it could be that late. Man was I wrong. :lol:

I still remember posting a thread in 2015/early 2016 on reddit about release date expectations and people were having a laugh when I said 2020 was a real possibility...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I still remember posting a thread in 2015/early 2016 on reddit about release date expectations and people were having a laugh when I said 2020 was a real possibility...

And look how far your prediction is off. :v:

You know it is doomed when the Warlord/bull terrier of the internet loses interest.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Colostomy Bag posted:

Here's a summary off the top of my head. We can quibble about parts of these technically being true, but the intent of each of these has been pretty much discredited at this point.

* (July Blog) They will never deliver the PU
* They cannot possibly shift to 64-bit positioning, it's all faked
* Chris spent all of the company's money on mocap
* (2016 Blog) EXTINCTION LEVEL EVENT
* Star Marine has been cancelled
* Squadron 42 doesn't exist and nobody has seen it (okay this might have been true, at the time)
* (2016 Blog) PGabz and Beet will be banned from the game for their youtube coverage
* (2016 Blog) The tax breaks they are receiving from the UK will be cancelled
* (2017 July Blog Anniversary) They will never release the financials
* They've laid off all their staff, lots of big secret firings and development has completely halted
* They cannot possibly build the game on Cryengine
* They cannot possibly have switched to a different version of Cryengine
* The refunds will force them into bankruptcy
* They cannot possibly implement persistence
* They have a secret loan from Coutts that will force them into bankruptcy or receivership
* The lawsuit from CryTek will freeze their engine development and destroy the game
* There are at least 2 ongoing federal or state level investigations into their fraud
* Chris is going to use the whale dinner to sell some kind of investment scheme to whales
* Chris has been shopping around for investments at big conferences but nobody will touch him

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

Here's a summary off the top of my head. We can quibble about parts of these technically being true, but the intent of each of these has been pretty much discredited at this point.

* Squadron 42 doesn't exist and nobody has seen it (okay this might have been true, at the time)
* (2016 Blog) PGabz and Beet will be banned from the game for their youtube coverage
* They've laid off all their staff, lots of big secret firings and development has completely halted
* They have a secret loan from Coutts that will force them into bankruptcy or receivership
* The lawsuit from CryTek will freeze their engine development and destroy the game
* There are at least 2 ongoing federal or state level investigations into their fraud
* Chris is going to use the whale dinner to sell some kind of investment scheme to whales
* Chris has been shopping around for investments at big conferences but nobody will touch him

tl;dr: Star Citizen is Good

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Daztek posted:

tl;dr: Star Citizen is Good

That's what I've been saying for months now

Come on in the hammerheads are fine

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm actually not. Y'see, there's been a move in the past couple of decades to shift that caveat emptor thing more firmly into the laps of the consumers. Couple that with a reduction of trust in 'institutions', and the largely democratized nature of publishing, and everything is primed for making the individual responsible for researching and deciding if the product is for them.

My overall opposition to this thing, apart from the massively blatant _marketing_ that rolls over any factual information and the constant resetting to 'Year 0', is that of the technical challenges. Like the completely unavoidable latency issues that force most games to make compromises. I have that technical knowledge; others don't.

Right now, this same technique is being used to sell a bunch of kickstarters; hell, it's been the cash in trade for audiophile equipment for years - slightly more darkly, and something that I've come into contact with, it's _infesting_ healthcare. Like there's a huge cottage industry in 'alternative' treatments that aren't nearly as benign as woo like acupuncture. Theranos was just the tippy-tip of an iceberg of poo poo that we've touched on a couple of times in this section.

There's an encouragement that people should only trust their own gut, because it makes information flat and valued not on it's accuracy, but who is telling it. CI!G is effectively not only it's own biggest astroturfer, but it's largely engaged with perpetuating it's own mythology right up until the point where people really start asking for money back.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Ehm, back to crazy man for a second, what is a 'MIL_story'?

Is the underscore critical to this thing? Are there incoming Mother-in-law plotlines coming to SQ42?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I will say that Star Citizen has taught me an enormous amount about the resiliency of small-time business fraudsters. I used to see like, Trumpists who'd invested all their money in Iraqi Dinars because they thought the president was going to "Equalize all the currencies" and I'd wonder how the gently caress they managed to keep a small pool cleaning business or whatever afloat. But Star Citizen has shown me that as long as you maintain some kind of visible income and just keep trundling onward, momentum and the structure of our byzantine legal systems makes it possible to offload the costs of failure for years, maybe decades, no matter how incompetent you are at every aspect of running a business. Institution after institution will line up to cut you checks even if you're consistently in the red year after year. Lawsuits may be brought but they will take literally 5 years to process and the costs can all be shunted onto shell companies that you discard. Defrauding consumers? Nobody gives a poo poo about that, not even a little bit. Make that money, son.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Fidelitious posted:

Ehm, back to crazy man for a second, what is a 'MIL_story'?

Is the underscore critical to this thing? Are there incoming Mother-in-law plotlines coming to SQ42?

He seems to believe that the world is divided into CIVILIAN and MILITARY. Everything. Even spaceship video games. This is not an uncommon view of the world, judging by the number of hardcore "Operator" mall ninjas out there.

He has decided that the fake spaceship game about space people Squadron 42 is MILITARY, presumably because he saw a lot of uniforms and saluting, and fake spaceship game Star Citizen is CIVILIAN, because it does not have those things. Obviously as a hardcore Operator he must accord deference and respect to Are Troops and all things MILITARY so he's sure to note that Squadron 42 is MILITARY any time he brings it up.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

That lawyer has the most insufferable smug grin and I can't blame him one bit

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Sarsapariller posted:

I will say that Star Citizen has taught me an enormous amount about the resiliency of small-time business fraudsters. I used to see like, Trumpists who'd invested all their money in Iraqi Dinars because they thought the president was going to "Equalize all the currencies" and I'd wonder how the gently caress they managed to keep a small pool cleaning business or whatever afloat. But Star Citizen has shown me that as long as you maintain some kind of visible income and just keep trundling onward, momentum and the structure of our byzantine legal systems makes it possible to offload the costs of failure for years, maybe decades, no matter how incompetent you are at every aspect of running a business. Institution after institution will line up to cut you checks even if you're consistently in the red year after year. Lawsuits may be brought but they will take literally 5 years to process and the costs can all be shunted onto shell companies that you discard. Defrauding consumers? Nobody gives a poo poo about that, not even a little bit. Make that money, son.

I mentioned this a while back, but I used to track small-time financial scams as sort of a blog hobby. You've so elegantly summarized exactly how these people work.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

I will say that Star Citizen has taught me an enormous amount about the resiliency of small-time business fraudsters. I used to see like, Trumpists who'd invested all their money in Iraqi Dinars because they thought the president was going to "Equalize all the currencies"

That sounds like some of my more frustrating arguments on Brexit fallout, mainly I ended up asking people if they knew what a reserve currency is.

One of the consistent mistakes people make is judging the rest of the world from their own position, without falsifying that position itself. They make the mistake of assuming that all humans are essentially reflections of the self that are then mediated by knowledge of the person; there's a bit of transfer and projection involved, but the upshot is that _really_ stupid people are massively secure in their knowledge and experience. Sometimes infectiously so.

In my own world, which is fairly loving vertical networking at enterprise level, you can't even make assumptions about the knowledge that people have because the field changes so much, and every corporation has it's own stinky poo poo that you have to get used to; ACLs or whitelists, for example, exist in a rainbow of applications and uses that everyone calls different things; that isn't to say that there isn't a base language, but while one group will want an IP-IP, proto and port ACL, someone else will be using resource pools connected to workload groups.

Sarsapariller posted:

Lawsuits may be brought but they will take literally 5 years to process and the costs can all be shunted onto shell companies that you discard. Defrauding consumers? Nobody gives a poo poo about that, not even a little bit. Make that money, son.

You can't discard a shell that's under investigation, but you have the rest of it right. Fraud *is* big business in the US, but it's mostly very low level. Trying your best and not quite managing it is an entirely different matter.

I recall myself and Derek having some fairly huge fights about the fraud question because I pointed out that showing the intention to defraud is roughly at the same level as proving discrimination and requires someone actually admitting that there is fraudulent behavior.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

I mentioned this a while back, but I used to track small-time financial scams as sort of a blog hobby. You've so elegantly summarized exactly how these people work.

I like the ones that subvert actual systems. Like when the IRS rolled out a tax reclaim system where you had to 'claim' your email address, and a bunch of people just claimed other people's refunds.

My bag is *terrible system design*. I have a side bag in trying to consider a trustless trust system

Like Okta authentication at the moment has an image to show you that indicates that you're signing into the right account, but it shows _after_ you've sent your auth details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Sarsapariller posted:

I knew I should have chosen "All of the supporters will die of natural causes prior to delivery"