Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The only good part of the 4kids dub was Team Rocket. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Is the water you make for moves like hocking a loog and licking an envelope and pissing all over the seat potable?

according to Bear Grylles it is

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Flopsy posted:

There's a blue connection icon in the corner you might need to hit. I've been looking for you so I'm not sure you're logged in. Afterwards check your friends list under link trade, I will be on there under Kane.

So Ringsports was right after all. Kane was a goon all along.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

I have a hard time accepting that anyone is a "hardcore" fan of a 4kids dub.

People have been quoting the Meowth or Mewtwo for years.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

The only good part of the 4kids dub was Team Rocket. :colbert:

True, but they're pretty fun in the orginal as well (also Japanese Jessie is voiced by Lina Inverse).

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

You'd be surprised at the number of people who want Veronica Taylor, Rachel Lillis and Eric Stuart back despite it now being almost 13 years since they last voiced the characters.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The new voice crew is also good. Everyone they switch is jarring for a while but then after a few episodes sounds normal. The only way you really notice is skipping around between seasons.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

My only real gripe with the new cast is that Ash sounds a bit too old, otherwise most of them are fine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The character acts a lot more mature than previously, at least in XY, so aging the voice a little works for me. I think he is supposed to come off a bit younger in SuMo though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Larryb posted:

My only real gripe with the new cast is that Ash sounds a bit too old, otherwise most of them are fine.

There should be a pokemon about Old Man Ash

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/ajaniaubrey/status/1101275721647960065?s=21

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The new voice crew is also good. Everyone they switch is jarring for a while but then after a few episodes sounds normal. The only way you really notice is skipping around between seasons.

It also helps that virtually all the cast has changed apart from Ash and Team Rocket, which is like 5 characters out of hundreds.

Really the only character who still sounds a bit strange is Misty and that's due to the fact that the character herself largely left the series only a few episodes before the big VA switch up. We've only had recordings of Rachel Lillis as Misty until the Sun and Moon arc where Ash and his class visited Kanto.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

I have a hard time accepting that anyone is a "hardcore" fan of a 4kids dub.

I'm a big fan of the samurai pizza cats dub and the dub for duel Masters, but idk if 4kids did those

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Also it's prob cheating to call samurai pizza cats a dub when it has no relation to the original since they didn't have the scripts

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Ello -> Elloello -> Elloelloello chain has a much better comedy name

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

james is knocking them out of the park this gen

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lol this is fantastic

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know what I loved about the 4kids dub? All the really bad original songs they'd put at the end of episodes. 20 years later I can still hum the very stupid song "I'm on the road to Viridian City!"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I was complaining before that the new region looks very linear, but looking at it more, it really, really looks closer to Sinnoh than anything else. Lots of big important-looking areas that you'd need to backtrack to and some lateral movement needed in many spots like the upper area with the 3 big cities and 3 smaller-but-still-big areas. A big-rear end field in the lower middle that leads to at least two entrances to big cities. Lots of cave tunnels. And heck, the trailer might be playing tricks with the wishywashy, but if it's not and that 'mon is below level 20 in that ice area, then we're probably gonna get pretty high up north before doing a dramatic backtrack. And a seemingly unconnected train track on the left has me thinking you'll go all the way to the steampunk city first and then all the way back to your house to go to the creepy forest next to it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I look forward to my new macaw buddy, Arayavin, the laughing pokemon.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

You know what I loved about the 4kids dub? All the really bad original songs they'd put at the end of episodes. 20 years later I can still hum the very stupid song "I'm on the road to Viridian City!"

It's a double edged sword, as I ate all that crap up as a kid and got the dumb CD that has some other songs too.

I remember the song with an Ash/Misty ship theme, and I will never escape that cringe.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dan Green should come back as Mewtwo.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I will defend "Team Rocket's Rockin" to the death.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

It's a double edged sword, as I ate all that crap up as a kid and got the dumb CD that has some other songs too.

I remember the song with an Ash/Misty ship theme, and I will never escape that cringe.

The Team Rocket song gets in my head from time to time, despite not hearing it in like 15 years. "We'll start a riot in Sunday school" is a great lyric.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

galagazombie posted:

I will defend "Team Rocket's Rockin" to the death.

I thought it was "Team Rockets Rocket"?

I also had that CD.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All 4Kids original Pokemon songs are good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNQeBdrFbek

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What kind of Pokemon are you?
How do you do the things you do?
AnddoyouhaveaHEART that's truuuuuue?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A one woman man's what I wanna be but there's two perfect girls for meeee

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Team Rocket song gets in my head from time to time, despite not hearing it in like 15 years. "We'll start a riot in Sunday school" is a great lyric.

Huh, I thought that lyric was supposed to be "We can start a riot and someday we'll school them". Still a good song though (as is the original theme for the 4Kids version of the first season).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Larryb posted:

True, but they're pretty fun in the orginal as well (also Japanese Jessie is voiced by Lina Inverse).

Oh, I know. I generally prefer the original.

Team Rocket is just the only part of the 4kids dub I have any positive nostalgia for because I loathe Veronica Taylor's Ash.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I also had the 2 B A Master CD. The title track, Viridian City, and the weird 90s trance song always got me super pumped

I'm also one of those people who will defend Veronica Taylor's Ash, both out of nostalgia and because of the His and Her Circumstances dub

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I daresay without the 4kids dub Pokemon wouldn't be as big in the US as it was.

That being said, though I haven't watched the anime in over a decade, the clips I've seen show the new voice cast does just fine.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

hopeandjoy posted:

Team Rocket is just the only part of the 4kids dub I have any positive nostalgia for because I loathe Veronica Taylor's Ash.
Ash just wouldn't loving stop yelling in those early episodes. I know he's supposed to be a loudmouth idiot and he was like that in the Japanese version as well, but the constant yelling was really irritating to listen to and it also carried over to other dubs such as the Finnish one I watched as a kid.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will always defend the purity of my children's cartoon from 20 years ago. Fight me, cowards.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

does anyone know when we're gonna start getting more info on gen 8

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Can someone explain to me the Pokeball Plus, and if I should get one?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Johnny Joestar posted:

does anyone know when we're gonna start getting more info on gen 8

Probably in a month or so? They usually stretch the poo poo out until release and we're like 8-9 months out still.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Probably a tidbit in May, a lil' something in June, few early pokemon in July, a couple human characters in August, the plot of the game and its battle gimmick in September, 80% of the pokedex in October, and another 18%, most of the plot and coolshit about the post-game a couple of weeks before release.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Disden is Robopon as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shinjobi posted:

There were two of these. They also had one on the CHRISTMAS ALBUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnyiheB8s4s

Someone there was gonna die with the ship.