Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Drunken Baker posted:

Also heard a very vague rumour that Shang Tsung is back and he's going to be voiced and modelled after Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, the movie Shang. I hope to God that's true because it'd be rad as all hell.
:yeah: I am 100% behind this and hope the rumors are true. I also hope we can put him in the goofy-rear end yellow MK2/3 outfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Kollector looks like what they've been trying to do with Reptile since MK4, but successfully. Now that they have a kool looking lizard dude, maybe Reptile can look more humanoid again? I just really liked his gimmick of being a surprise lizard instead of just Soul Calibur's Lizardman.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I kind of hate Reptile's pedestrian design in the last 2 games and I'd be all for him being a human design again but with some body horror i.e. the skin suit doesn't quite fit and maybe his eyes/teeth kind of tear through and you can see scales ripping out from it. I realize his human design was due to programming limitations and they moved on after MK3 but hey, we're revisiting the MK2/3 classic poo poo so why not.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DLC Inc posted:

NRS thank you for having the courage to give Frost leukemia though

Snowman Reigns.

DLC Inc posted:

I kind of hate Reptile's pedestrian design in the last 2 games and I'd be all for him being a human design again but with some body horror i.e. the skin suit doesn't quite fit and maybe his eyes/teeth kind of tear through and you can see scales ripping out from it. I realize his human design was due to programming limitations and they moved on after MK3 but hey, we're revisiting the MK2/3 classic poo poo so why not.

I liked the Shaolin Monks/Armageddon design the most, personally.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

DLC Inc posted:

Reptilian Conspiracy Reptile - looks human but if you pay close attention to the slo-mo attacks you can see his eyes, tongue, and/or skin shapeshift.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I hope reptile dies as a low res model after a single throwaway fight like baraka did in the last game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Duchess Smackarse posted:

I hope reptile dies as a low res model after a single throwaway fight like baraka did in the last game

same but for Sareena just to stick the knife further in, maybe have Noob "Bi-Han" Saibot do it

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I randomly stumbled on Maximilian ranting last night on Twitch while he played Tekken 7 about how uncool this NRS leak was and I'm just here thinking that this is the kind of poo poo that happens when you troll people endlessly about the game and it's roster.

You reap what you sow, Boon! Should have just told us who was in the game, cus we're all going to buy it anyway.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
max is mad because it ruins his reaction streams

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

KungFu Grip posted:

yeah thats all he cares about here

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

lol that is exactly it. why didn't SFV have the same complaints about their roster at launch? I feel like MK games are such an outlier in the FGC in terms of the insanity of people who NEED THIS ONE CHARACTER OR IT ALL SUCKS, even moreso than Smash Bros. Maybe it's because the smaller roster leads to people thinking slots are "wasted" or "stolen"

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
But without Reptile, who's going to be our sad sack character /gullible stooge? Geras shows some promise.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

blinking beacon nose posted:

But without Reptile, who's going to be our sad sack character /gullible stooge? Geras shows some promise.

Uh, Baraka's right there. He spent his time in MKX being killed by D'vorah then being killed again just to introduce Alien.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kotal Kahn was a great character in MKX but was also incredibly dumb and got clowned in a fight to the death with loving Kung Jin. I hope he's the next blundering motherfucker in the storyline who makes well-meaning yet dumb mistakes .

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

lol that is exactly it. why didn't SFV have the same complaints about their roster at launch? I feel like MK games are such an outlier in the FGC in terms of the insanity of people who NEED THIS ONE CHARACTER OR IT ALL SUCKS, even moreso than Smash Bros. Maybe it's because the smaller roster leads to people thinking slots are "wasted" or "stolen"

I feel like SFV did have similar complaints at launch. There were a ton of new characters and a lot of the returning ones were more obscure than the normal World Warrior roster.

At very least I remember plenty of people complaining about the lack of Akuma and Sagat specifically.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Every fighting game gets roster complaints, because everyone is looking for a reason not to play them

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

BattleHamster posted:

I feel like SFV did have similar complaints at launch. There were a ton of new characters and a lot of the returning ones were more obscure than the normal World Warrior roster.

At very least I remember plenty of people complaining about the lack of Akuma and Sagat specifically.

MVCI was a trillion times worse

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 1, 2019

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

SFV got not that many complaints because people were so done with SF4 and just wanted anything new

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

I actually liked Reptile's design in DA, and I hope they bring that back and give him a bunch of ranged command grabs with his tail.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

Oh, right. Forgot about Baraka and Kotal.

And of course there Raiden. He isn't a stooge, but he sure is a gullible sad sack. And the sheer magnitude of the consequences of his fuckery definitely qualifies him.

Yep, I'm down for another comedy of errors. Here's to hoping that Kronica doesn't fix things up too much.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
Kronika is going to be their excuse for MK12 to be another reboot.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
kronika is going to be the next preorder kharacter

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

And of course there Raiden. He isn't a stooge, but he sure is a gullible sad sack. And the sheer magnitude of the consequences of his fuckery definitely qualifies him.

I like that Raiden is sort of a "bad guy" in MK11, but not the main one, because I guarantee you he'll defeat himself just like he did in MK9. He'll probably accidentally kill most of his henchmen in the process too.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I actually liked Reptile's design in DA, and I hope they bring that back and give him a bunch of ranged command grabs with his tail.

He had that going for him. He was more interesting devolved IMO. He should come back as a savage but this time just slaughter everybody who abused him. That'd be killing like half the cast (again) but that's fine

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
They can still get a lot of hype when the characters are properly shown off. Like people quickly sniffed out that Johnny Cage was in thanks to blurry background images and poo poo and yet when his trailer came out everybody was still “drat he looks cool.”

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

DLC Inc posted:

Kotal Kahn was a great character in MKX but was also incredibly dumb and got clowned in a fight to the death with loving Kung Jin. I hope he's the next blundering motherfucker in the storyline who makes well-meaning yet dumb mistakes .
Kotal Kahn is just a bottom-rung goon who happened to fall into a seat of power. I thought the writing for his character was loving terrible in MKX even if he wasn't bad gameplay wise.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Mayan blood god design is good

That's my opinion on the kahn

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

DLC Inc posted:

My personal take on this is that NRS has good story modes and reinvents their entire cast from the ground up with each installment. If you're really loyal to a given character it's kind of a bummer to not see their role in the plot or what their new moveset looks like. This is in stark contrast to most other fighting games which have universally lovely story modes and either play it very safe with their character designs/movesets or gently caress up royally when they do try to redesign. If my character doesn't make it into Tekken I'm not really gonna wonder what they were going to look like and what their moveset would be because they're still reusing animations from 1994, I can probably make a pretty accurate guess. If my character doesn't make it into Street Fighter V I can be rest assured they would have done something unbelievably stupid with them so who cares

It's the main reason that I am a little bummed that we probably won't get to see human Smoke in base roster, because I would love to see what they would do with him in the current graphics engine and design principles. On the flip side, it doesn't matter if smoke doesn't make it in because who knows if his moveset would even be remotely like his MK9 moveset. It's not like previous game knowledge carries over for any of these characters for the most part like it does for other fighters. It's not the end of the world and anyone that treats it like that is baffling (especially if you're campaigning a 4, DA, or Deception era character wtf)

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
also one character that dies in the previous game should come back as a cyborg for the next one.

Cyber Quan Chi.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think with MK11 going full-on pretty pretty princess you at least have more of a chance at seeing alt characters like Human Smoke, even if it is just a reskin of Cybersmoke.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hope you can change the default costume for characters, I don't mind revenants but it's weird having like 5 characters having gray zombie skin.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

Suspicious Cook posted:

I like that Raiden is sort of a "bad guy" in MK11, but not the main one, because I guarantee you he'll defeat himself just like he did in MK9. He'll probably accidentally kill most of his henchmen in the process too.
And they need to license the Benny Hill theme for that scene. That's a non negotiable for me.

Maybe this time he just Mister Magoo's his way into actually doing his job :ohdear:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

I hope you can change the default costume for characters, I don't mind revenants but it's weird having like 5 characters having gray zombie skin.

Injustice 2 let you set up everyone the way you wanted + let you specifically designate which variant would be the "default" when selected initially so there's precedent for that.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

i'm a huge sucker for the goofy 90s ninja costumes so i want every character to have them, even non ninjas.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if the story mode is going to have you fight a bunch of non-playable characters like MKX did?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if the story mode is going to have you fight a bunch of non-playable characters like MKX did?

I think Boon heard this pissed a bunch of people off so they're not doing it again

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Also mk 9 _10 played similarly enough that they could get away with old move sets, mk 11 looks a lot slower so the m10 movesets would be annoying as hell to fight against as they dash in and out of combat

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

RanKizama posted:

Kotal Kahn is just a bottom-rung goon who happened to fall into a seat of power. I thought the writing for his character was loving terrible in MKX even if he wasn't bad gameplay wise.

Between this and your weird as gently caress quote about bald women you really are determined to be the worst poster in this thread.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

pretty soft girl posted:

My personal take on this is that NRS has good story modes and reinvents their entire cast from the ground up with each installment. If you're really loyal to a given character it's kind of a bummer to not see their role in the plot or what their new moveset looks like. This is in stark contrast to most other fighting games which have universally lovely story modes and either play it very safe with their character designs/movesets or gently caress up royally when they do try to redesign. If my character doesn't make it into Tekken I'm not really gonna wonder what they were going to look like and what their moveset would be because they're still reusing animations from 1994, I can probably make a pretty accurate guess. If my character doesn't make it into Street Fighter V I can be rest assured they would have done something unbelievably stupid with them so who cares

It's the main reason that I am a little bummed that we probably won't get to see human Smoke in base roster, because I would love to see what they would do with him in the current graphics engine and design principles. On the flip side, it doesn't matter if smoke doesn't make it in because who knows if his moveset would even be remotely like his MK9 moveset. It's not like previous game knowledge carries over for any of these characters for the most part like it does for other fighters. It's not the end of the world and anyone that treats it like that is baffling (especially if you're campaigning a 4, DA, or Deception era character wtf)

Adding to this, there's been so many (good) MKs by now, that most people have multiple kharacters they like. Even if not all of them come back, chances are that they get at least one of their kharacters. So again, it seems silly when the Internet throws a tantrum about the roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Donnerberg posted:

Adding to this, there's been so many (good) MKs by now, that most people have multiple kharacters they like. Even if not all of them come back, chances are that they get at least one of their kharacters. So again, it seems silly when the Internet throws a tantrum about the roster.

Totally agreed. Between me and the guy I still play MK9 with, we've tried like 90% of the cast so neither of us had any expectations that MK11 would leave us without someone we loved

Even without smoke I'm already marking out for noob, frost, scorpion, and cage. Who are these weirdos who only latch onto one MK character