Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just finished a run in which dropping 4-6 Pyroblasts a turn was entirely routine, between Flame Punishment, Hands Casting, and Waving Staff. Werewolf went down in two turns, and if he didn't have that "invicible for a turn" buff the first time he dies I had enough firepower to kill him twice over on the first turn. Cross Magic + Thundercloud + Slingshot meant that anything that survived all the fire could expect to eat a 105-damage lightning bolt to finish it off.

The hardest fight in this run was actually figuring out a way to kill Headless Horseman without instantly vaporizing myself. It turns out that its "mirror sublethal damage" buff actually means "when an attack kills it, 100% of the damage of that attack is dealt to the player as well" -- not just the overkill amount.

Pictured: Little Red Riding Hood (2019, colourized).

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Witch has really spoilt me when playing other classes. Werewolf with Call of the Wild can trigger 20 attacks in 1 go dealing 100+ damage and a bunch of armour with 1 card, but that doesn't compare to the infinite combos you can do with Frozen Solid/Mana Storm or just replicating loads of high tier spells.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Razakai posted:

Witch has really spoilt me when playing other classes. Werewolf with Call of the Wild can trigger 20 attacks in 1 go dealing 100+ damage and a bunch of armour with 1 card, but that doesn't compare to the infinite combos you can do with Frozen Solid/Mana Storm or just replicating loads of high tier spells.

I only just unlocked the blessing that enables those combos, and I know what I'm doing next.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Quad posted:

New Toejam & Earl game counts, right? Because its really fun. Online multiplayer, too!

I somehow completely missed this being a thing, and now today is a good day.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
On further investigation, it appears that only certain "negate enemy card" effects work against the Cursed Werewolf's stolen powers - the Guardian Statue does not, because it works for a set number of turns, meaning it kicks in on your first turn but doesn't affect the Cursed Werewolf's "turn zero" stolen powers. Eagle Eye or whatever, the one that negates specifically the first enemy card each combat, does work, and is therefore a must-have if you see it when you're playing on the highest difficulty - those powers tend to be loving brutal. I haven't found anything else that works, yet.

BigLeafyTree posted:

One thing you could try is if you have some excellent piece of equipment, unequip it so you have the chance to draw it and use your ability to copy it. It depends on drawing it first but sometimes it’s enough to put you over the top.

poo poo, that's a great idea! I'll have to try that next.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ToxicFrog posted:

It turns out that its "mirror sublethal damage" buff actually means "when an attack kills it, 100% of the damage of that attack is dealt to the player as well" -- not just the overkill amount.

I know nothing about this game, but that wording sounds correct. You might be confusing sub-lethal with super-lethal?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The game is kind of badly translated. It does in fact mean superlethal, but it says sublethal.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Does anyone have any experience with The Curious Expedition? I think I put it on my wishlist while drunk a few months ago since it touted itself as a roguelike and I was in a phase where I was super into living-off-the-land stuff. It's on sale now and I was thinking about picking it up.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Sorry can someone link the game you guys are all playing on iOS, i scanned back but cant find the title :(

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I played a tiny bit and it didn't fully engage me, but I think the thread consensus was that it's good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

tote up a bags posted:

Sorry can someone link the game you guys are all playing on iOS, i scanned back but cant find the title :(

Night of the Full Moon by Giant Network Technology Co., Ltd. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/night-of-the-full-moon/id1278845241?mt=8

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SKULL.GIF posted:

Does anyone have any experience with The Curious Expedition? I think I put it on my wishlist while drunk a few months ago since it touted itself as a roguelike and I was in a phase where I was super into living-off-the-land stuff. It's on sale now and I was thinking about picking it up.
I gave it a few hours, and enjoyed what I played of it, but didn't really get good at it so I didn't really do well at it. I had a lot more fun playing on the lower difficulties and trying to unlock the other playable characters - since they have challenges like "finish the game in first place with one person and a bunch of pack animals" or whatever - than actually playing on the hardest difficulty. It's pretty fun, though some of the random events are mega-punishing and I don't know for sure if I was doing it right at all. If it's on sale, I would say you're probably going to enjoy it enough to get your money's worth.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's a fun, quick game. Has some cool unique events that you can trip with certain items and areas that have nifty map-impacting effects. Lot of variation in successful parties too, depending on leader and group composition.

I didn't play it for ages, but I had fun with it. Cute aesthetic too.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wouldn't go into it expecting a tightly balanced, universally fair game; there's a fair bit of guesswork and RNG involved. It's a pretty good game all told, with the big added selling point is that it's crazy as gently caress and makes for some hysterical stories, like Nikola Tesla headbutting a gorilla to death or Aleister Crowley blowing up a sacred mountain with dynamite, bribing the natives with whiskey to calm their anger, taking way too much cocaine and becoming terrified of butterflies, encountering a butterfly, banishing his last human friend after an argument over something petty, having a lengthy conversation with his donkey who he now suspects is also the devil, eating his donkey, slowly descending into madness and despair while wandering alone, and then dying of malaria because a mosquito bit him.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I really enjoyed my 6.6 hours so far of The Curious Expedition. Hot tip, 100% do the tutorial first, I thought I could figure things out on my own and I was absolutely wrong, especially about the combat.

For what its worth, my immediate reaction to seeing the name of the game was "oh yea I totally wanna go play more of that" even if my total playtime wasnt that much.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Truspeaker posted:

For what its worth, my immediate reaction to seeing the name of the game was "oh yea I totally wanna go play more of that" even if my total playtime wasnt that much.

I have the same positive reaction to Curious Expedition as I do a negative reaction to Renowned Explorers :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

goferchan posted:

Night of the Full Moon by Giant Network Technology Co., Ltd. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/night-of-the-full-moon/id1278845241?mt=8

Hey I won once with the knight! and I'm doing it well in the next run.

So, what's the recommended character to buy? Which is the best* one?

*I mean the most fun to play, not the most 'optimal'.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 1, 2019

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

I know nothing about this game, but that wording sounds correct. You might be confusing sub-lethal with super-lethal?

"Sublethal" sounds like it reflects any damage that doesn't kill it, which is flat out wrong -- attacks that don't kill it don't get mirrored at all. I interpreted it as a mistranslation of "sub-zero-hitpoints", i.e. the damage that kills it -- but the question is, in that case, does it mirror just the damage applied beyond what's needed to take it to 0, or the entire attack? The answer is the latter -- if it has 20hp left and you hit it for 30 damage, you take 30 damage yourself, not 10 or 20.

This is a problem when your weakest attack does 25 damage and you have 54 hitpoints max.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 1, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angry Diplomat posted:

I am having an absolute motherfucker of a time trying to beat the Cursed Werewolf as Knight, but I think I might have figured out a relatively effective - if RNG-dependent - method: items and blessings that cancel the first card(s) played, either on turn 1 or every turn.

They apply to the perma-ability cards played at the start of the fight.

I just beat Cursed Werewolf as Knight. Equipment deck with Scorching Flames and Weapon Master, starting with two Horseshoes, two of the thing that makes your opponent take extra damage on his turn and a Vampire Shield. Got my copied Vampire Shield early on plus an Inferno Cloak and after that I was invincible - I was gaining 3-5 health for every card he played while racking up 25 armour. I finished on full health.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

SKULL.GIF posted:

Renowned Explorers has the same theme but is 20x better.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Well, the strategy of just have a million equips, a little card draw and the attack that scales on number of equips exploded the cursed werewolf as easily as anything else. I’m now spoiled, and am getting wrecked heading up the difficulties on the other classes

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They just announced a sequel to the Curious Expedition.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Hey I won once with the knight! and I'm doing it well in the next run.

So, what's the recommended character to buy? Which is the best* one?

*I mean the most fun to play, not the most 'optimal'.

Werewolf is cool but probably also the least crazy OP feeling so I'd buy that one las, maybe more of a challenge class. Apocethary involves creating tons and tons of temporary cards and shuffling them into your deck, and Magician's theme is like counterspell cards and loving around changing mana costs. They're both really fun in their own ways

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

goferchan posted:

Werewolf is cool but probably also the least crazy OP feeling so I'd buy that one las, maybe more of a challenge class. Apocethary involves creating tons and tons of temporary cards and shuffling them into your deck, and Magician's theme is like counterspell cards and loving around changing mana costs. They're both really fun in their own ways

Werewolf can feel pretty crazy, but you have to get a bit lucky. I haven’t made a reliably OP deck, but I had a deck that had occasional glorious moments when it would hit ~40 max rage and then do 40+ damage 10 or more times in a row.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I'd recommend Witch myself. It feels a lot more straightforward than anything except Knight - the others are great but can be a bit weird. Despite that it's still extremely fun. Great take in the archtypical mage class.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I ended up dropping the $8 on Curious Expedition and tried it out for a few hours. Had five failed attempts, all by getting overwhelmed and running out of resources. Got a victory on my sixth run with the big game hunter (Frederick Selous), in large part because now I could actually win fights, meaning they were much less of a drain on my resources, and the game just snowballed from there. I didn't even bother finishing the sixth expedition since I was so far ahead by that point and the dinos were rocking me pretty hard.

It's an interesting twist on roguelikes, making more of a focus on exploration and resource management, and less on combat. I think I've posted in here before about how it's actually resource management that defines a roguelike more than many other factors -- IMHO -- and TCE definitely makes it core to the game. I appreciate how there's multiple tools to evade combat and a lot of the game is about scouting around and figuring out good ways to approach points of interest without getting yourself into too much trouble.

The game's UI could use a little bit of cleaning up, and the flickering on the hover info windows is really annoying (protip for any developers reading this: pop in the new window first, then delete the old window). Interactions with villagers/events seems, to me, to quickly give way to optimal choices, but I haven't experimented too much with it. I'd give it a solid 3 out of 5 based on the 4 hours and single victory I've picked up so far.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

victrix posted:

I have the same positive reaction to Curious Expedition as I do a negative reaction to Renowned Explorers :v:

Elaborate?

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Theres a free online/web demo if you wanna try it out

https://curious-expedition.com/demo/

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Both sparked the same kind of genre reaction in terms of their theme, like 'oooh, exploring the wild unknown!', which I think is super cool.

But while CE is bite sized, pretty well paced, and generally a fun time, I found RE to have strangely obtuse gameplay and a comparatively annoyingly sloggy feel.

YMMV of course, I know some people around these parts really liked Renowned, but it definitely wasn't my cup of tea.

Accidentally causing the world to fall into an eldritch abyss and escaping from another plane was more memorable to me in CE than making goons so sad they ran away from me in RE.

(I should also say I don't think CE is amazeballs, but it's a neat game and I'm glad it's getting a sequel)

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
So, I've been on a bit of a hiatus from most things, but I'm back...

I'm about to be on vacation and was going to take a couple of RLs to play at night when I'm cooling down. I won't have internet access so I need something that I can install and forget. Preferably something that doesn't need a million Wiki entries to comprehend. I've always enjoyed DoomRL (so that's installed), and I'm make sure I have ADOM and TOME. Any additional suggestions - preferably those of the DoomRL (short play time, simpler mechanics, etc.)?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

sicarius posted:

I'm about to be on vacation and was going to take a couple of RLs to play at night when I'm cooling down. I won't have internet access so I need something that I can install and forget. Preferably something that doesn't need a million Wiki entries to comprehend. I've always enjoyed DoomRL (so that's installed), and I'm make sure I have ADOM and TOME. Any additional suggestions - preferably those of the DoomRL (short play time, simpler mechanics, etc.)?

Golden Krone Motel maybe?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

sicarius posted:

Golden Krone Hotel or Desktop Dungeons

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
Finally finished hard 7 of night of the full moon with the knight.

God I love equips.

I died like eight times on the way to the final boss, but I beat him first try otherwise.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I've been dumping runs on the first death, is nobody else doing this

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

andrew smash posted:

I've been dumping runs on the first death, is nobody else doing this

Yeah I've never continued, feels wrong . Honor system gang here

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
There's enough random luck of the draw on a hardest difficulty that I don't really feel bad about continuing. At three of the deaths were me simply just starting to battle and never getting an actual turn till I died. From full health.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I will continue from particularly bullshit deaths (little red doing more damage than I have max hp on her first perfect turn), but reset from deaths that are my fault or that happened because of my deck being lovely in general.

It’s kind of a shaky line but whatever.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

sicarius posted:

I'm gonna suggest Sproggiwood. Comes on PC and smartphone, built around smaller dungeons, plays well to shorter game sessions. For something more complex, maybe Brogue. There's some emergent complexity, but you've only got one character and you develop them as you play rather than a character creation screen and skill points.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Toejam and Earl back in the groove is out. I'm having a great time with it. Just like the original Genesis version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

Toejam and Earl back in the groove is out. I'm having a great time with it. Just like the original Genesis version.

I made a Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove thread - I think the devs did a great job and treated their kickstart backers very well! I would rather not have to play one fixed world before unlocking random world, and have to wait to unlock hardcore mode for that real roguelite experience, but I won't look a gift earl in the mouth. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883494