Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Steve French posted:

Why do people like side by side fridges? They seem to me to be the worst use of space and I'm in a weird way waiting for mine to poo poo the bed so I can justify replacing it with a different style.

Lots of skinny shelves sounds appealing compared to just piling stuff into my bottom-freezer-pullout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I used to own a side-by-side and the freezer was too narrow to fit any decent-sized object like a packer brisket or a turkey inside. In the bulk of them, the water dispenser is run through the freezer, and the lines freeze constantly as the units age. gently caress those things.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

At least they aren't freezer-on-top units where 99% of what I want is at my knees and the 1% of the time I want to eat a popsicle frozen leftovers slide out and fall on my toes.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Steve French posted:

Why do people like side by side fridges? They seem to me to be the worst use of space and I'm in a weird way waiting for mine to poo poo the bed so I can justify replacing it with a different style.

If you have tight kitchen space it can be the only viable option w/o doing some legit remodeling

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Mutar posted:

If you have tight kitchen space it can be the only viable option w/o doing some legit remodeling

I don't follow. You're saying that side by sides are more compact? They seem less so, to me, for any given interior capacity. Or are you referring to the smaller doors working better with less clearance? Doesn't seem like a french door fridge is really worse in that regard, except I suppose maybe the pull out freezer drawers?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If I had the room and it wouldn’t look insane to a potential home buyer I’d rock a separate fridge and freezer. I had the side by side before and now I have the bottom freezer style and they both suck in different ways. I will say that if you’re primarily using the fridge more often than the freezer the bottom style is more convenient, as everything is waist high or up.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Steve French posted:

I don't follow. You're saying that side by sides are more compact? They seem less so, to me, for any given interior capacity.
This. The insulated partition between the two sections is a fixed size; the narrower your unit is, the more of that space the partition takes up, proportionally. Plus, diminishing returns--I just don't see much value in a freezer with 13 inches of usable horizontal space.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I just hate drawer freezers because things get buried worse so than they do in a regular freezer. I know they have sliding baskets and what not to help, but still a pain.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I will say that if you’re primarily using the fridge more often than the freezer the bottom style is more convenient, as everything is waist high or up.

As a tall dude, I can say I'll never go back to a style that doesn't have the freezer on bottom. I had the classic top-freezer, single door fridge/freezer for the longest time, and having to bend almost 90 degrees to see the contents of the fridge was very annoying. First world problems and all, but it's just dumb to have the freezer at a convenient level, considering you go in the fridge far more.

I also have a large version of that LG unit posted earlier. So far, I really like it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I have kids so it's useful for them to be able to access freezer space directly. I can put anything they're allowed to get on the lower section and that's nice.

I didn't buy it though, it came with the place, so I guessed we'll see if I like it enough when it's buying time

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Honestly I think the holy grail would probably be a full-size 36" fridge/freezer that's side-by-side with a deep door and a shallow flex-temp drawer on the bottom for wider items, but literally nobody has thought to make this

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I like my large Frigidaire side-by-side. The freezer is annoying for bulky items, but mostly because nobody ever takes the time to re-organize that side like the fridge gets though more regular use.

Being in the hobby farm "business" we ended up getting a chest freezer, but if we were normal people that didn't have 500lbs of pork and goat, and 30 gallons of stored milk, the side by side would be fine.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

Honestly I think the holy grail would probably be a full-size 36" fridge/freezer that's side-by-side with a deep door and a shallow flex-temp drawer on the bottom for wider items, but literally nobody has thought to make this

I want a garage fridge where the large part is the freezer and the small part is the fridge.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I want a garage fridge where the large part is the freezer and the small part is the fridge.
Yeah, also this

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

Have you tried flipping over the little arbor nut plate? It kind of sounds like you were trying to use your thin blades on the side meant for thicker grinding wheels.

Quick follow up, this is exactly what it was. Thank you

It turns out, that inner ring is a spacer. I turned over the nut plate as you suggested, and it sits perfectly now. :cheers:

It's really stunning to me that one of the most dangerous tools came with literally zero instructions. I found a youtube video showing how to attach different kinds of cutting/grinding wheels and how you have to turn over the nut(s), and the comments were littered with people who also had no idea. Wtf grinder industry?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Which grinder did you buy? I've not got one myself, but every other new power tool I've ever bought had an exasperatingly thorough safety manual.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-7-5-Amp-4-1-2-in-Corded-Angle-Grinder-with-AC-DC-Switch-2-Pack-9557NB2/202445067

It was on sale for like $60 about 6 months ago. I knew I'd need a grinder eventually, so I grabbed it then. Last week was the first time I unboxed it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Steve French posted:

I have no idea why anyone who has ever had one would still want it. The LG we've been talking about was a replacement for a perfectly functioning side by side that came with the house. It didn't have enough space for much of anything.

Mutar posted:

Can you please explain this in some sort of detail with interior and exterior dimensions and examples? Because the ~24 cu ft of badly thought out space side by side was replaced by a 30 cu ft and has identical exterior dimensions.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
My house has the fridge in a hallway just off the kitchen so I only have a few feet of clearance in front of it. In my (admittedly unusual) case the side by side doors give me a little more room to maneuver since I don't have to stand to the side to swing open a 3ft wide door or slide out a deep drawer, and I live alone so capacity isn't a big deal to me.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Can you please explain this in some sort of detail with interior and exterior dimensions and examples? Because the ~24 cu ft of badly thought out space side by side was replaced by a 30 cu ft and has identical exterior dimensions.

The only reason I can think of is in some weird tiny galley kitchen with an operating width less than the door swing on a standard fridge. Like a poorly-laid-out motor home.

I always assumed that they were some sort of gimmick for door ice dispensing

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

The only reason I can think of is in some weird tiny galley kitchen with an operating width less than the door swing on a standard fridge. Like a poorly-laid-out motor home.

I always assumed that they were some sort of gimmick for door ice dispensing

Yeah, that doesn't even make any sense. Because on like every side by side the fridge door is wider than the freezer. Resulting in this:

Old side by side, in my garage now. This is the fridge side (wider) door, 20", full extension (because of the hinges) is about 19":

New fridge, with freezer at full extension:

Door extension (both are the same size) is 15" freezer drawer is about 23" including the handle but it's definitely not strictly required to be all the way open to get at everything.

In short, most side by sides are a wast of space. In addition, there are many horrors out there in armoire style bottom freezer models - some of them had shelving so wide on the doors I literally couldn't fit my shoulders in, which is kinda required for a deep fridge if you want to use the back at all, unless you like shuffling sideways between doors and never being able to get at anything without both doors open. TL;DR: go see fridges before buying one. Companies have managed to gently caress these things up in completely boneheaded ways that you won't notice from pictures.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Motronic posted:

I have no idea why anyone who has ever had one would still want it. The LG we've been talking about was a replacement for a perfectly functioning side by side that came with the house. It didn't have enough space for much of anything.

Ignore the cow on the stove, but you can kinda see from these photos how a full door would foul against the oven.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That is quite a specific use case. You seriously have less than 15" (or even 23") between the front of that fridge and the side of the stove? That seems.....implausible. That's not a reasonable walkway.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I look at that picture and all I can do is wonder why the fridge and oven aren't in opposite locations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mutar posted:

Ignore the cow on the stove, but you can kinda see from these photos how a full door would foul against the oven.

Given the CO2 tank, I'd just say that space was designed for a kegerator and not a real fridge.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's been windy and rainy lately. I got home from work today to find this lying on the ground in my yard:

I'm pretty sure that it came from my house, and specifically from the pictured pipe, which in turn I'm pretty sure is the exhaust for my hot water heater. But I can't figure out how it would attach to the pipe; I think there must be a missing part that got separated from the cover. So a) what do I need to fix this, and b) how big a deal is it to leave that pipe uncovered for awhile? Thanks!

EDIT: I did an inadequate job of inspecting my roof before posting. This is pretty clearly where that cover came from:

Unfortunately, that's high enough up the roof that I'm not willing to attempt repairs myself, so I'm gonna have to call out a contractor just to reinstall the cover. Same question regarding what the consequences are of leaving this uncovered for a bit, but this time I think the vent is either furnace exhaust or attic venting.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 7, 2019

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That little guy appears to be your plumbing stack vent.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's been windy and rainy lately. I got home from work today to find this lying on the ground in my yard:

I'm pretty sure that it came from my house, and specifically from the pictured pipe, which in turn I'm pretty sure is the exhaust for my hot water heater. But I can't figure out how it would attach to the pipe; I think there must be a missing part that got separated from the cover. So a) what do I need to fix this, and b) how big a deal is it to leave that pipe uncovered for awhile? Thanks!

EDIT: I did an inadequate job of inspecting my roof before posting. This is pretty clearly where that cover came from:

Unfortunately, that's high enough up the roof that I'm not willing to attempt repairs myself, so I'm gonna have to call out a contractor just to reinstall the cover. Same question regarding what the consequences are of leaving this uncovered for a bit, but this time I think the vent is either furnace exhaust or attic venting.

The cover prevents rain/snow/airborne objects/small critters from getting into the venting. While it's not essential to the operation of whatever the vent pipe is connected to, it should be replaced as soon as possible.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Moving into a new house, going to install a mailbox by drilling into the (fiber cement) lap siding and installing screws/anchors.

Should we be doing anything else to seal the screws?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PremiumSupport posted:

The cover prevents rain/snow/airborne objects/small critters from getting into the venting. While it's not essential to the operation of whatever the vent pipe is connected to, it should be replaced as soon as possible.

Yeah, I've sent out to contractors to see if any of them want to swing by and spend fifteen minutes putting the lid back on, so to speak. No responses yet, and if I can't get a satisfactory response then when I get home from work I'll see if I can figure out a setup where I'll feel reasonably safe doing it myself.

I guess my question though is really, am I going to have to get up into the under-roof to do repairs/cleanup from a day or two of drizzle? Because the access to that area is seriously inconvenient -- the hatch is over the staircase, so there's a ~15-foot drop beneath it and nowhere convenient to set up a ladder.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, I've sent out to contractors to see if any of them want to swing by and spend fifteen minutes putting the lid back on, so to speak. No responses yet, and if I can't get a satisfactory response then when I get home from work I'll see if I can figure out a setup where I'll feel reasonably safe doing it myself.

I guess my question though is really, am I going to have to get up into the under-roof to do repairs/cleanup from a day or two of drizzle? Because the access to that area is seriously inconvenient -- the hatch is over the staircase, so there's a ~15-foot drop beneath it and nowhere convenient to set up a ladder.

If it's just rain, probably not. Anything else creates a potential hazard though. Snow or ice can plug the vent, which may lead to CO getting into your house and killing you. Critters that get trapped eventually die, then start to smell. If the exhaust gasses are hot enough the dead critter or dried leaves that fall in may catch fire.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PremiumSupport posted:

If it's just rain, probably not. Anything else creates a potential hazard though. Snow or ice can plug the vent, which may lead to CO getting into your house and killing you. Critters that get trapped eventually die, then start to smell. If the exhaust gasses are hot enough the dead critter or dried leaves that fall in may catch fire.

OK, worst likely case sounds like a bird gets in there and then we plug the cover and it can't get out. Let's just...hope that doesn't happen? :shrug: Not sure what I can do to prevent it in any case, so I just have to be alert for deathstink.

Thanks for the info.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
It’d help if you knew for sure what it attached to. If it’s a sewer stack vent, replacing the cover is a “nice to have” at best, and only because you already have the cover.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Shame Boner posted:

It’d help if you knew for sure what it attached to. If it’s a sewer stack vent, replacing the cover is a “nice to have” at best, and only because you already have the cover.

Pretty sure the sewer stack is the short white pipe from the first photo. This looks like the vent cover for a gas-burning appliance of some sort.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

esquilax posted:

Moving into a new house, going to install a mailbox by drilling into the (fiber cement) lap siding and installing screws/anchors.

There's certainly no harm in coating the screws in a little silicon. A screw in fiberboard should be water tight enough to handle whatever rain runs down the siding in that spot though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Got home, hauled out my ladder, and started trying to figure out how to safely get that vent cap back on. I decided to ask my neighbor, since he's much handier than I am, for advice. He looked at it and went "Oh yeah, I can deal with that, let me get my ladder." So instead of me fixing it myself, I just held his ladder for him while he reattached the thing. I now owe him cookies, because he wouldn't accept anything else.

I'm drat near certain that was the furnace exhaust, by the way. It came off because the pop rivets holding it on had rusted off; it's now held on by self-tapping sheet metal screws. Kind of a bodged-together fix, but it should hold until the summer, when I can hire a contractor to replace all of the vent caps. They look to be in pretty similar condition, so it's about time really.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

esquilax posted:

Not really, but plain old caulk will suffice if you really want to.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Motronic posted:

New fridge, with freezer at full extension:

I have that LG style but in a side by side with the second small door in a ~27 cuft. Supposedly the LG's will last longer as the compressor is a inverter. I like the fact that I can't put too much crap in my freezer. If I needed more space, I would just get a chest freezer to store my kills. Best thing about that fridge is the small door where my kids put all their drinks and whatever else. I just wish the shelving could be adjusted.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I'm at a loss and not sure where to look next. I woke up this morning to find a puddle of water under my washing machine spreading into the laundry room. Mopped up the water, turned off water to the house, disconnected the washer from the water hookups. After a few hours I came home and there were no signs of new water, but the drywall behind the washing machine was damp. Cut into the drywall expecting to find the inside of the wall wet from a leaky pipe that feeds into the washing machine. Bottom foot of drywall is wet, then becomes bone dry. Inside of the wall appears to be dry, none of the pipes (water, drainage) appear to wet anywhere. Turned on water back to the house, no new leaks. Reconnected the water hoses to the washing machine, turned on water to the washing machine. No new water anywhere. I've cut out all the wet drywall, but can't figure out where the water is coming from. The bottom piece of wood that the studs connects to seems to be wet? The washing machine hasn't been run for a few days. The only thing I can think of is that we had a sudden rainstorm last night; could it be possible that there's a leak in my roof and it's manifesting at the bottom of my walls..?

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kimcicle posted:

I'm at a loss and not sure where to look next. I woke up this morning to find a puddle of water under my washing machine spreading into the laundry room. Mopped up the water, turned off water to the house, disconnected the washer from the water hookups. After a few hours I came home and there were no signs of new water, but the drywall behind the washing machine was damp. Cut into the drywall expecting to find the inside of the wall wet from a leaky pipe that feeds into the washing machine. Bottom foot of drywall is wet, then becomes bone dry. Inside of the wall appears to be dry, none of the pipes (water, drainage) appear to wet anywhere. Turned on water back to the house, no new leaks. Reconnected the water hoses to the washing machine, turned on water to the washing machine. No new water anywhere. I've cut out all the wet drywall, but can't figure out where the water is coming from. The bottom piece of wood that the studs connects to seems to be wet? The washing machine hasn't been run for a few days. The only thing I can think of is that we had a sudden rainstorm last night; could it be possible that there's a leak in my roof and it's manifesting at the bottom of my walls..?
My guess would be you had a leak at your hose connection, which you have corrected by taking it all apart and reconnecting everything. The drywall being wet so high is just capillary action.

That, or the rain caused seepage from the floor (is the washing machine on slab?). A leaky roof seems pretty unlikely to work it's way down a wall without damage popping up elsewhere.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 9, 2019