Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't see anything wrong with that dude's final fantasy hotel bathroom other than the fact that nobody is ever gonna want to use it but him. if he has a fetish for tile grout then so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

CJacobs posted:

I don't see anything wrong with that dude's final fantasy hotel bathroom other than the fact that nobody is ever gonna want to use it but him. if he has a fetish for tile grout then so be it.

No you see it's for the :females:, they love this stuff... apparently

Parachute
May 18, 2003
everything about it is just like the amalgamation of someone spending their entire adult life on these forums. like you couldn't expect it to get any better than the horrible construction photos, then he posts the HDR pics of his insane completed bathroom and goons just get to work with parodies like it's 2006 or something and make us old farts laugh again

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It reminds me of a Thief level with how geometric it is. I'm already imagining nabbing shiny baubles from underneath the sink.

I don't know what the deal is with two shower heads. With that much space in a bathroom I would've made a Japanese style bath.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

There's nothing wrong with that bathroom. Is the perfect material to keep me entertained because we have awesome goons that will make playable maps on Doom and Duke 3d. Maybe even in Daikatana :shepface:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guillermus posted:

There's nothing wrong with that bathroom. Is the perfect material to keep me entertained because we have awesome goons that will make playable maps on Doom and Duke 3d. Maybe even in Daikatana :shepface:

It should be a Portal map, so you can portal the gently caress out of it almost immediately. Make a speed run of it!

EDIT: It looks nicer than anything I could have done, but in reality, the purpose behind it, with the :females: thing and all, make me hate it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 1, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It should be a Portal map, so you can portal the gently caress out of it almost immediately. Make a speed run of it!

I'm pretty sure if you used portals in that room all the recursive reflections would just crash the world's renderer with a memory leak and God would have to restart the universe.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kamrat posted:

No you see it's for the :females:, they love this stuff... apparently

His belief is that women ultimately make all purchasing decisions when it comes to home ownership, so the bathroom was flawlessly designed to appeal to them. :lol:

It would be less shameful if he was just retarded and trawling for pussy, tbh.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

haveblue posted:

As a piece of video game history, it's absolutely worth checking out Bungie's first attempt at an FPS

While I 100% agree and there's never been a better time to play Pathways into Darkness, the OP was asking about Marathon. :v:

Guillermus posted:

Red Faction 1 wasn't a great game when it came out. It had some neat ideas but it was 100% condined spaces. I find funny that years after that people complain about Red Faction Armageddon being underground (even if it has action outside) after Guerrilla being open world.

I think a lot of the complaints about RFA is that people were expecting RFG2 and instead they got RF3.

To be fair, RFG was way better than either of the first two games, and I'd love to play another RFG style game with the massive engine improvements RFA brought to the table, but with those expectations adjusted it is not -- apart from some incredibly idiotic writing and the awful last few levels -- a bad game.

Seriously though, where's our next Mercenaries game with RFA building destruction tech?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Cool rear end retrospective of the making of Quake II

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-making-of-quake-2/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ToxicFrog posted:

While I 100% agree and there's never been a better time to play Pathways into Darkness, the OP was asking about Marathon. :v:

FPS not first-person RPG-adventure :smugdog:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Being fair, RFG was the first very good game in the series. The first two games had a problem with not living up to hype, and just ending up delivering okay-ish shooters. RF1 was kinda neat and had some cool levels and moments, but there were a lot of boring fights and some really unfun missions. RF2 was like the ultimate example of a middle-of-the-road 6th gen console shooter. Again, some neat moments, but even with its shortness, there were just times where I was like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc (also those loving 6th gen checkpoints where you could lose like 20 minutes of progress were the worst). Guerilla was just fun. Awesome destruction that I don't think has really been matched, loads of fun weapons and vehicles, some neat mission variety. It kind of feels like it walks parallel with Saint's Row 2 in a lot of ways, which is a high complement. Armageddon's formula could only hurt it after that. It could have been a solid 3rd person linear game, but taking away all of that fun and freedom to turn it into a not-bad corridor shooter was never going to do it any favors.

Yeah, none of them are bad, but there are definitely way better options, especially when you had to pay $60 for them at release. Nowadays, there's not a lot of reasons to not just huck $10 at a game you're curious about.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

I think a lot of the complaints about RFA is that people were expecting RFG2 and instead they got RF3.

Not in my case. I was not thrilled with the lame-rear end jumpy bug enemies and boring environments.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I like Saints Row 1, 3 and 4 better than 2. Not to bag on 2, it's just still very similar to 1, a nutty GTA-ish game. 1 hit the spot a bit better for me, was good timing for a GTA style game. The Third felt like the series really becoming it's own thing, and the best in that series I think. I liked RF Armageddon, kind of cool. A well done linear game is nice. Especially with more single player action games than not being open world going forward.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Cool rear end retrospective of the making of Quake II

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-making-of-quake-2/

Hell yeah!

Tim: "Quake II should have been called something different in my personal opinion—I will say that"

"Shaky stuff" "Tremor Rifts", well did you even think of a name yet Tim? It's been 22 years, you could've come up with a pitch by now.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 2, 2019

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

'Wor' is a bit stupid, but I like it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

We could have gotten Enemy Territory: Wor Wars

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Sort of out of left field, but Paul Steed died, right? I think I remember hearing that and it was pretty shocking given how young he was

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Pathos posted:

Sort of out of left field, but Paul Steed died, right? I think I remember hearing that and it was pretty shocking given how young he was

Yea I don’t think a cause was ever announced. It was very sudden.

Speaking of industry deaths, we’re sure that Neil Manke is dead? It seemed like he literally disappeared 12 years ago or so.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Speaking of industry deaths, we’re sure that Neil Manke is dead? It seemed like he literally disappeared 12 years ago or so.

Nobody’s found an obituary with his name :shrug:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Oh god what was that 3rd person shooter all about making the ground go up and down?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fracture? I for some reason remembered it as being first-person but I guess not.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Is there a newer version of Extermination Day than the one early last year? Brutal Doom itself just released RC8.

Eviternity is amazing so at least that can keep me busy.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 2, 2019

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I've been playing through PRODOOMER v3 and have enjoyed almost all of it. The level with the skyscrapers and rails can go gently caress itself with a cactus though.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

Your brain is tricking you to protect itself.

nah that poo poo looks like a weirdos movie set

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Not gonna lie, that bathroom is pretty baller and it would be awesome seeing someone replicate it in either the Doom or BUILD engines.

Speaking of bathrooms, the way I judge how good an FPS is if I can interact with the fixtures, such as flushing the toilets and turning on the sinks. Let's just say I was blown away at how you can use the bathroom in Duke Nukem 3D when it was new, flushing edge technology right there.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Nobody actually knows. We knew he got pretty sick but after that nothing. There was a rumor he died but then someone he worked with supposedly said he didn’t but he wasn’t responding to their e-mails? We’ve never had confirmation he just seems to have vanished. I mean the Black Widow Games website is still up and running someone has to be laying forthe domain or hosting the server. It’s a mystery that still crops up in the source modding community. They Hunger Lost Souls clearly had assets made for it, it even had an article in PC Gamer, yet nothing was ever released from it even from other team members who worked on the project and even they are impossible to reach pretty much

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 3, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's an awesome Shadow Warrior bathroom but you're throwing fps down the WC.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Nobody actually knows. We knew he got pretty sick but after that nothing. There was a rumor he died but then someone he worked with supposedly said he didn’t but he wasn’t responding to their e-mails? We’ve never had confirmation he just seems to have vanished. I mean the Black Widow Games website is still up and running someone has to be laying forthe domain or hosting the server. It’s a mystery that still crops up in the source modding community. They Hunger Lost Souls clearly had assets made for it, it even had an article in PC Gamer, yet nothing was ever released from it even from other team members who worked on the project and even they are impossible to reach pretty much

It’s a shame because I regularly re-play “They Hunger “ just about every Halloween (while drinking pumpkin beer and having various horror films on in the background ) and I remember being incredibly excited about Lost Souls after reading the PC gamer article.

:smith:

Has there ever been a case like this? Where an entire development team for a game just basically dropped off the face of the earth?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

They Hunger was pretty cool but my heart belongs to USS Darkstar. I had no idea Manke had just vanished like that. :(

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Ashes 2063 makes me wish someone would do a "Build Engine" Fallout.

This picture alone tells a better story then most of the locations in FO3 :v:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

ToxicFrog posted:

They Hunger was pretty cool but my heart belongs to USS Darkstar. I had no idea Manke had just vanished like that. :(

:thumbsup: I have a lot of love for all those PC Gamer magazine adjacent Quake 2/3 and half-life mods. Those demo disks were a big part of what got me into mods in the first place. USS Darkstar is easily my favorite early HL mod. I'm not sure if I played it or System Shock 2 first, but they're essentially equal in quality as far as I'm concerned.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly I was watching Mr. Icarus review Ashes 2063: Dead Man Walking, and if he hadn't said that it was aiming for the feel of a post-apocalyptic game set in a Build-ish engine, I'd have assumed it was trying to ape Half-Life (and doing a surprisingly good job of it too).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ashes looks cool, I gotta try that sometime.

And, to add more substance to the post... I believe the game Quake 3 is one of the best deathmatch games.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im trying to find a doom wad that i can't remember the name of, its not visually spectacular but it plays really well, the first few levels are small, first one you spawn in some kind of control room and go down and activate some type of pump thing and shotgun guys ambush you. then there's a like cargo bay themed level, a level in a kind of bunker thing with an outside area with a rocket launcher on top of a waterfall, a bunch of cacos spawn out there.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

im trying to find a doom wad that i can't remember the name of, its not visually spectacular but it plays really well, the first few levels are small, first one you spawn in some kind of control room and go down and activate some type of pump thing and shotgun guys ambush you. then there's a like cargo bay themed level, a level in a kind of bunker thing with an outside area with a rocket launcher on top of a waterfall, a bunch of cacos spawn out there.

Shot in the dark, but...Unholy Realms? It's been a long time since I played it, but I feel like your description of the first few levels reminded me of the first few levels of Unholy Realms.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Shot in the dark, but...Unholy Realms? It's been a long time since I played it, but I feel like your description of the first few levels reminded me of the first few levels of Unholy Realms.

hell yes, this was it! thanks man

edit: im playing the latest project brutality beta and for some reason most of the new first person sprites appear like 10 pixels above the bottom of the screen and it looks bad. im guessing its cause im in a widescreen resolution or something, is there any like first person fov option in gzdoom so i can zoom in a bit and fix it?

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 5, 2019

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone got a link to that goofy doom 2 video "guide" with silly names for all the monsters?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Anyone got a link to that goofy doom 2 video "guide" with silly names for all the monsters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Impressive someone could reply right, and at the first try too. Only in this thread it would have been possible, lol.