Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Not sure if this is the correct thread but whatever. Here goes. I just saw Enemy (2013), starring Jake Gyllenhaal.

What the hell did I just watch??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

A real good movie. There's various interviews with Villeneuve and Gyllenhaal that go into more detail about what's "actually" happening. I like just taking these sorts of movies at face value though because I enjoy endlessly wondering what the hell is going on. The original thread for Enemy is really funny and has multiple people arguing that the world has literally been taken over by giant shapeshifting spiders and that's all there is to it.

It's just such a nice little movie, but if I'm being honest my fave Villeneuve/Gyllenhaal is still Prisoners just because I love Detective Loki.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

It's just such a nice little movie, but if I'm being honest my fave Villeneuve/Gyllenhaal is still Prisoners just because I love Detective Loki.

It's always top of my list of films to recommend because it just didn't have the promotion and hype behind it that it absolutely deserved. Cinematography, performances, all amazing. A good rewatch too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

A real good movie. There's various interviews with Villeneuve and Gyllenhaal that go into more detail about what's "actually" happening. I like just taking these sorts of movies at face value though because I enjoy endlessly wondering what the hell is going on. The original thread for Enemy is really funny and has multiple people arguing that the world has literally been taken over by giant shapeshifting spiders and that's all there is to it.

There was a goon in the Enemy thread who was 100% convinced that the movie was just about alien spider invasion and would fight anyone didn’t take everything about it at face value. I even linked him an interview that said otherwise and he said Villeneuve was wrong. It was amazing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Death of the artist, yo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Was there ever a line of dialogue in Inglourious Basterds that explained how Hicox using the wrong three fingers was what gave him away? I thought I remember seeing that, but I've only watched the movie all the way through in the theatre when it was released, and rewatching that scene on youtube, it isn't explained, at least not by the German major (or whatever rank he was) who noticed it.

Does someone else explain it later? I remember when the movie was done that I knew exactly what had happened, but I know that I didn't know Germans used their thumbs when using 3 fingers before I had seen the film. I doubt someone I was with explained it at the time.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 15, 2019

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Was there ever a line of dialogue in Inglourious Basterds that explained how Hicox using the wrong three fingers was what gave him away? I thought I remember seeing that, but I've only watched the movie all the way through in the theatre when it was released, and rewatching that scene on youtube, it isn't explained, at least not by the German major (or whatever rank he was) who noticed it.

Does someone else explain it later? I remember when the movie was done that I knew exactly what had happened, but I know that I didn't know Germans used their thumbs when using 3 fingers before I had seen the film. I doubt someone I was with explained it at the time.

Bridget von Hammersmark walks Aldo Raine through it in the veterinary office where they took her to get her leg treated, explaining how she ended up the only one alive after their meetup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7adekzgpV0&t=110s

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I also haven't seen it since theater but I thiiiink the lady explains it afterwards?

Edit: slow on the draw, just like most everyone in that hosed up shoot out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Thank you both!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

wrong thread

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I just finished watching Free Solo and I wasn't sure if this was just me or not. Did the movie seem a little antagonistic and mean spirited towards Sanni? I don't recall her being anything but supportive of Alex's goal, but the editing and tertiary characters make it seem like her very existence is dooming Alex to failure. The final shots were of her staring blankly at the camera juxtaposed with Alex grinning ear to ear at the very end.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I wouldn't say the movie is mean-spirited towards her exactly, but their relationship is definitely a source of tension and she's sort of positioned to be at odds with his climbing. I was honestly surprised after watching the movie to learn they're still together. Although obviously we only see a very small part of their relationship and I thought she was kind of an interesting character herself.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Yeah pretty much the whole audience kind of just chuckled at their conflicts. Like, it kind of played like either she was being silly to get into the way of this amazing thing he was going to accomplish, or he was being ridiculous trying this absurdly dangerous stunt and she was the only sane one around.

But this comes from a long time fan of Honnold who came into the movie hoping it would just be him climbing for 97 minutes straight.

e. also feel free to link that thread for Enemy because it sounds interesting and I'm a dumbass at search or search sucks I'm not sure which sorry Lowtax

Stealth Tiger fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 1, 2019

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Can anyone tell what Donald Sutherland is cooking in Invasion of the Body snatchers?

It has ginger and seems like a stir fry or something, I was watching him cook and it drat near made me salivate!

I love that flick.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Can anyone tell what Donald Sutherland is cooking in Invasion of the Body snatchers?

It has ginger and seems like a stir fry or something, I was watching him cook and it drat near made me salivate!

I love that flick.

I don't remember exactly but I remember that it has a shitload of celery in it, typical kooky assed 70's cuisine.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

there are websites cataloging movie appearances of music, bloopers, cars, guns, satanism, nudity, but none for food?! now there's a market ripe for the picking!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I love that flick.

A while ago I was watching the 70s Robert Redford film "Brubaker", and I swear, in one scene, he opens the fridge, pulls out what I can only guess is a giant cauliflower, and takes a big ol' bite out of it :psyduck:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SxN_U2H0Xc

i remember watching the movie but i dont remember this scene. even then it felt kinda crap compared to lethal weapon which is pretty lol when Stallone apparently turned down co-starring in the latter to star in the former (written by himself, tbf).

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 2, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cobra's a great movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh i love it today, thats different

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

there are websites cataloging movie appearances of music, bloopers, cars, guns, satanism, nudity, but none for food?! now there's a market ripe for the picking!

What are the Satanism and nudity ones? Asking for a friend.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

veni veni veni posted:

What are the Satanism and nudity ones? Asking for a friend.

http://capalert.com/capreports/index.htm & i forgot the other one

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 2, 2019

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nice web design!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thx

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mr. Skin? It was a major plot point in Knocked Up

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Mr. Skin is doing God's work.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah that one

also doesthedogdie.com which is apparently tracking over 40 topics now :aaaaa:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Alright, I went back and looked at the scene - celery, carrots, green bell pepper, a big ol white stemmed green I assume is bok choy, and unpeeled ginger slices. He also mentions meat of some kind.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lmao the Brokeback review is hilarious
http://capalert.com/capreports/brokebackmountain_guestcomm.htm

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Should have put this on the poster

quote:

...one of the most sly and cunning anti-Christian films ever produced.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My favorite Christian review that I've ever seen was one for the original Blair Witch Project that had a sentence that started with something like "while witches are real and should be feared..."

That same site had a review of the album "hooray for boobies" by the Bloodhound Gang, which has a cover that looks like this:

And they censored most of the panels out, including the cow udder.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 2, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Alright, I went back and looked at the scene - celery, carrots, green bell pepper, a big ol white stemmed green I assume is bok choy, and unpeeled ginger slices. He also mentions meat of some kind.

oh man i could go for some of that, all those things are delicious*

* delicious food is an Offense to God and subtracts 10 points from the CAP Analysis score of this post

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 2, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Corny Oscar controversy aside, is Green Book actually a good movie? Because I finally got around to watching a trailer for it and it looks stupid tbh.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

veni veni veni posted:

Corny Oscar controversy aside, is Green Book actually a good movie? Because I finally got around to watching a trailer for it and it looks stupid tbh.
It's mediocre writing with two great actors. They elevate some parts of the material, but some of it is unsalvageable (like the infamous fried chicken scene). How it all shakes out depends on your tolerance for the way it deals with its themes compared to how much you enjoy watching two great actors play off each other.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

veni veni veni posted:

If it had been somehow frozen out of awards nominations then it would be a quintessential "my Uncle telling me about this nice movie he saw on TNT last weekend" movie. It's super flawed and getting mostly rightly attacked for those flaws because of the accolades it earned.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
And now you can say “the Oscar winning movie from the director of Dumb and Dumber and Kingpin.”

Two films that are probably better than Green Book.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Krispy Wafer posted:

And now you can say “the Oscar winning movie from the director of Dumb and Dumber and Kingpin.”

Two films that are probably better than Green Book.

Don’t sleep on Me, Myself and Irene!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I would like to believe that back when the Farrellys started, someone pulled them aside and said if they ever wanted to win a Best Picture Oscar, all they would have to do is make an extremely patronizing, white-centric movie about racism, because "the old white folks in the Academy lap that up like a dehydrated dog."

And now, decades later, Peter went home with the Oscar in his hand, freshly inscribed with his name from the Academy after-party, sat in a chair in his living room, stared at the base saying BEST PICTURE - PETER FARRELLY - 'GREEN BOOK', and said "I can't believe that actually worked."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i saw the trailer and immediately didnt care for the movie but i have to admit ive been wanting to see it just to enjoy more of mahershala ali

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Deadguy2322 posted:

Don’t sleep on Me, Myself and Irene!

Please do. That's a horrendously homophobic movie.