Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Vavrek posted:

Swapping mod versions without emptying the chest first might be a mistake? Load the previous version, load your save, empty the chest, save, load new mod version, load new save, refill chest.

I, uh, made a rookie mistake. Could someone post the old version so I can do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Necroskowitz posted:

I, uh, made a rookie mistake. Could someone post the old version so I can do this.

Ditto. Updating from the first version to 1.02 didn't have this problem.

Edit: I tried using EaseUS's recovery program and while it did find the old version of the 7z archive, it seems that it's corrupted since 7zip couldn't open it :(

hooah fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 1, 2019

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
So I seem to have carryover issues in certain mages guild halls but not others. My stuff is safe if I keep in in the travel trunk in Vivec but if I send it anywhere else then I just get an empty trunk.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Well drat I am big dumz too because I having been keeping copies of every version, just overwriting the old as I fix poo poo.

The problem with reference data being lost is almost always due to load order changing, when it's the exact same file name (otherwise it's because you changed the file name and it doesn't recognize it as the same mod). Use Wrye Mash to redate your file to Feb 15, and the game should just accept it as the same mod. Wrye Mash also has a lock times function that keeps your load order locked in place by automatically redating any updated files.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, so after much reloading and traveling around, it looks like only the travel chest chest in the Gnisis Legion Barracks had my stuff in it. After retrieving my stuff from there and staggering back to a Mages' Guild, the chests seem to work normally.

Edit: Spoke too soon; went from a full chest in Balmora to an empty one in Caldera.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Hmm, could be because I have references persist checked to make sure it keeps your stuff, you've gotten a duplicated reference, so now the game is porting two chests instead of one. You probably have to clear out the mod completely by saving without the chest existing and humping your stuff back to the C&E Office

Sorry :negative:

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I just finished my playthrough of Tribunal, which I had never done back when I played the game as a kid. I liked the idea behind the expansion pack, since talking to the living gods is super interesting, but Almalexia was kinda one-note as compared to Vivec. The quest twists seemed pretty heavily telegraphed, and the dungeon/enemy design of "lots of enemies with a lot of HP" was kinda boring as compared to the more exploration-y aspects of the main quest. Perhaps I didn't like that most of the expansion was set underground? Anyway, off to Bloodmoon next!

I'm also now thinking in the back of my mind about what to do for my next playthrough. I figure I'll try the Morrowind Graphics Guide for the visual parts, since I used a mostly-vanilla set of graphics mods this time around. As far as gameplay-enhancing mods, I know that there are a lot of great ones that I didn't give a try this time around, since I was trying to stick to a mostly vanilla experience. The set I used was:

pre:
"Better Dialogue Font"
"Character Creation Name Generator"
"Continue"
"Creature VFX restoration"
"Descriptive Shrines"
"DLC: Bloodmoon"
"DLC: Tribunal"
"Enhanced Water Shader for MGE XE 2.0 Green-Blue Water"
"Expanded Sounds"
"Expeditious Exit v1.2.0"
"Glow in the Dahrk"
"Glowing Flames"
"Happy Harvesting v1.0.1"
"Holidays Across Tamriel - Vvardenfell"
"Ingredient Flavor Texts"
"Melian's Teleport Mod 1.3"
"Morrowind Enhanced Textures"
"Morrowind Optimization Patch"
"MUSE - Morrowind Music System Extended"
"MWSE Arms and Armor Tooltips"
"MWSE Key Tooltips"
"Ownership Indicator"
"Patch for Purists"
"Purist Friendly Magicka Regen"
"QuickLoot"
"Sea of Sound"
"Season Weather of Vvardenfell and Solstheim"
"Signposts Retextured"
"Skies .IV"
"Sophisticated Save System v1.0.2"
"Speed and Stamina"
"Tamrielic Lore Tooltips"
"TRMusic"
"UI Expansion v1.0"
"Unmanaged: XE Sky Variations"
"Unofficial Morrowind Official Plugins Patched"
"Vanilla style body replacer"
"Weapon Sheathing 1.4"
"Well Lit Lanterns"
"Yet Another Guard Diversity"
I don't mind going a bit overboard for my next playthrough, but I think I want to stick to Vvardenfell without going to the next level and doing something like TR. I know I definitely want to give Uvirith's Legacy a go, and potentially one of the big NPC overhaul mods. I was thinking maybe something like Frostwind too, since I didn't really ever mess with alchemy/enchanting/etc. and it seems like it'd be a good way to force you to do that. A bunch of the expanded dungeon/cave/town ones look good too, though I'm not sure what their overall quality level is like. What do y'all recommend for other good gameplay/quest/immersion mods that aren't primarily texture/sound enhancements?

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Yesterday I was running around Zanammu and today I'm running around Mansurabi. The ruins and caves in Tamriel Rebuilt are great. I've intentionally staying clear of Kemel-Ze though, that might be a week long ordeal.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Happy Underpants posted:

Yesterday I was running around Zanammu and today I'm running around Mansurabi. The ruins and caves in Tamriel Rebuilt are great. I've intentionally staying clear of Kemel-Ze though, that might be a week long ordeal.

Dont do it lol

Kemel ze is a maze with little payoff atm. Interesting by ancient tr standards, not by current. There are plans to turn it into something more acceptable.

Head to old ebonheart :shobon:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Stuporstar posted:

Hmm, could be because I have references persist checked to make sure it keeps your stuff, you've gotten a duplicated reference, so now the game is porting two chests instead of one. You probably have to clear out the mod completely by saving without the chest existing and humping your stuff back to the C&E Office

Sorry :negative:

Ok, I'm trying this, but I can't find the key. I opened the mod in the construction set and it shows the key on top of the chest, but it isn't there in-game. Not sure what the hell is going on.

Edit: I just moved the key over a little in the CS and re-saved. That let me pick it up and so far everything's back to working!

hooah fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 2, 2019

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Athaboros posted:

I just finished my playthrough of Tribunal, which I had never done back when I played the game as a kid. I liked the idea behind the expansion pack, since talking to the living gods is super interesting, but Almalexia was kinda one-note as compared to Vivec. The quest twists seemed pretty heavily telegraphed, and the dungeon/enemy design of "lots of enemies with a lot of HP" was kinda boring as compared to the more exploration-y aspects of the main quest. Perhaps I didn't like that most of the expansion was set underground? Anyway, off to Bloodmoon next!

I always liked Tribunal in theory but most of it is an absolute chore to play. The writing is terrible, your character is forced into saying and agreeing to a terribly restricted personality and approach, the dungeons are just lovely long corridors with enemies who have absurd HP and deal insane damage and then drop wooden clubs more powerful than Daedric longswords.

(I'm also describing my own mods, semi-ironically, but nobody paid me for them so I don't care)

It has some really fun sidequests at least, Mournhold is a cool wee town

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Theres a good kernel there with "One Big town over one Big Dungeon" that I really want them to try again and get right.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Has anyone tried Arcimaestro Antares Tribunal overhaul? http://mw.modhistory.com/download-35-6679

I've never played it myself so I have no idea if it's any good.

hooah posted:

Ok, I'm trying this, but I can't find the key. I opened the mod in the construction set and it shows the key on top of the chest, but it isn't there in-game. Not sure what the hell is going on.

Edit: I just moved the key over a little in the CS and re-saved. That let me pick it up and so far everything's back to working!

Oh phew! Yeah dirty saves sometimes double poo poo, sometimes delete poo poo. It's usually pretty safe changing a mod if it's only fixing scripts and dialogue, but the moment you touch a cell, all bets are off.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I always liked Tribunal in theory but most of it is an absolute chore to play. The writing is terrible, your character is forced into saying and agreeing to a terribly restricted personality and approach, the dungeons are just lovely long corridors with enemies who have absurd HP and deal insane damage and then drop wooden clubs more powerful than Daedric longswords.

(I'm also describing my own mods, semi-ironically, but nobody paid me for them so I don't care)

It has some really fun sidequests at least, Mournhold is a cool wee town

:agreed: that's why I made
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45713

which brings tribunal in line with regular morrowind balance. it lets you play tribunal and visit mournhold as if it were like, vivec or any other city.

Stuporstar posted:

Has anyone tried Arcimaestro Antares Tribunal overhaul? http://mw.modhistory.com/download-35-6679

I've never played it myself so I have no idea if it's any good.

it's certainly something. antares had a vision of what tribunal could be and he executed it in a very unique way (it's semi cribbed from oblivion's plot, you can see that spoiler from the screenshots)

is it worth using in your list permanently? no. is it worth playing through to see what some very ambitious italian guy thought tribunal should be? hell yes

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

:agreed: that's why I made
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45713

which brings tribunal in line with regular morrowind balance. it lets you play tribunal and visit mournhold as if it were like, vivec or any other city.

This really owns, and I wish I had known about it a few days ago. Definitely gonna use this next time around.

All your mods are pretty great tbh, MBT.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Happy Underpants posted:

I'm running around Mansurabi.

I solved the puzzle :3:

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Dont do it lol

Kemel ze is a maze with little payoff atm. Interesting by ancient tr standards, not by current. There are plans to turn it into something more acceptable.

Head to old ebonheart :shobon:

Thanks for the heads up! Is the lack of reward a lack of treasure? The kick I get out of these places in the design itself so as long as there are neat set pieces I'll be pretty happy. I've also been to Old Ebonheart and the shirts look great.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Athaboros posted:

This really owns, and I wish I had known about it a few days ago. Definitely gonna use this next time around.

All your mods are pretty great tbh, MBT.

:shobon: thanks

Happy Underpants posted:

I solved the puzzle :3:

Thanks for the heads up! Is the lack of reward a lack of treasure? The kick I get out of these places in the design itself so as long as there are neat set pieces I'll be pretty happy. I've also been to Old Ebonheart and the shirts look great.

In that case go on in, there are some neat rooms but unfortunately not much to get out of it save for some standard dwemer fare.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
finally booted up Skyrim today after having burned out during the mod install process a few weeks ago and man the writing is just not nearly as good as morrowind

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckwlr3r0290

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5qb8Bor0hI

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Addamere posted:

finally booted up Skyrim today after having burned out during the mod install process a few weeks ago and man the writing is just not nearly as good as morrowind

It's honestly some of the worst in gaming.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Updated the container mod with a minor script fix. Turns out it was resizing the chest in the C&E office 10% too big, swallowing up the key in the process. No cell changes, but if you've already got your key you probably don't need to worry about this teeny fix.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I wondered if in my CS newbness I just didn't understand what was going on with the scaling! Now it all makes sense.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I wanna thank the OP and other posters for their help, this is my longest real playthrough of MW and my first with TR and I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot in the midst of a rough time. So, thanks.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I ended up installing the game and a couple mods too and started on a solid playthrough instead of just getting mauled by the local wildlife outside the first town and giving up. I'm trying a spellblade-ish type character like I did for my first time in Skyrim. Long blade/Destruction/Restoration/Enchant/Light Armor for my major skills and Block/Mysticism/Medium Armor/Alchemy/Spear for my minor skills. Other than getting destroyed by pterodactyls I couldn't really fight it's going well so far. I've managed to get to Balmora and joined the mage's guild.

I play a lot of roguelikes so the old game jank isn't too bad to me so far. The game is pretty neat, i like how it actually rewards my habit of running and jumping everywhere like a maniac unlike other games.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I just finished the Bloodmoon quest, so that marks the first time I think I've ever completed the main quest, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon in one save. Looking forward to modding the hell out of the game and starting a new one soon!

Thank y'all for your help and suggestions along the way, it's cool to see that this game still has such awesome support this long after its release. There really isn't anything else quite like it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Tyty posted:

Other than getting destroyed by pterodactyls I couldn't really fight

Congratulations, you’ve gotten the essential Morrowind experience. Everything else is side quests.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tyty posted:

I ended up installing the game and a couple mods too and started on a solid playthrough instead of just getting mauled by the local wildlife outside the first town and giving up. I'm trying a spellblade-ish type character like I did for my first time in Skyrim. Long blade/Destruction/Restoration/Enchant/Light Armor for my major skills and Block/Mysticism/Medium Armor/Alchemy/Spear for my minor skills. Other than getting destroyed by pterodactyls I couldn't really fight it's going well so far. I've managed to get to Balmora and joined the mage's guild.

I play a lot of roguelikes so the old game jank isn't too bad to me so far. The game is pretty neat, i like how it actually rewards my habit of running and jumping everywhere like a maniac unlike other games.

Buy some spells that you like, and then pay a spellcrafter to make shittier versions that you can actually reliably cast. Also you may end up with low speed and low personality but not really that big a deal, you can use alchemy or restoration to buff whatever you want when you want. In particular grab a fortify attribute you think will be useful when you're powerful enough to cast it all the time, and then use that to base a spell that's like "fortify personality on self for 2 seconds, magic cost will be 1." Especially at low levels those ~12 extra personality can go a long way. If you need to talk to some prick rear end in a top hat you can just slam it out and then start the convo right after, 2 seconds is plenty of time for it to work. Might be useful to get a couple extra bucks from barters too.

The only thing I can see running into trouble with would be busting locks or sneaking, but that also can get covered by potions and scrolls. With this loadout you can probably join fighters guild too if you want, you can drag armorer up to par pretty easily, or maybe heavy armor if you find a piece or two you really like and wanna keep even if it's not part of your skillset.

I was playing a few days ago and having a good armorer skill (I almost never went for it before) is actually pretty useful of you don't have good teleports. Keep an extra hammer or w/e and you can easily keep your gear from rusting off your rear end and falling to the ground during extended outings. I was actually doing pretty large amounts of repairs even with calipers, those are a good tool for poo poo-tier armorers and I wouldn't use actual hammers until I could reliably successfully repair tbh.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently added Tamriel Rebuilt to my load order, but when I try to generate distant land meshes, MGE XE throws an Out of Memory exception. Other than reducing the world mesh detail, is there anything I can do to avoid it crashing?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
For the mesh, I dont think so, there's a checkbox for the texture but dunno if that will help.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

hooah posted:

I recently added Tamriel Rebuilt to my load order, but when I try to generate distant land meshes, MGE XE throws an Out of Memory exception. Other than reducing the world mesh detail, is there anything I can do to avoid it crashing?

Use the 4gb patch on the mge xe exe

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mod that turns guar into yoshi s. mmod that turns guar intl yosbi

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Gyshall posted:

Use the 4gb patch on the mge xe exe

Worked like a charm, thanks.

A possibly stupid question: Where do I download the Uvirith's Legacy add-ons mentions on this page? Download links don't seem to be on the downloads page of Stuporstar's site, nor are they on the individual add-on's pages.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

hooah posted:

Worked like a charm, thanks.

A possibly stupid question: Where do I download the Uvirith's Legacy add-ons mentions on this page? Download links don't seem to be on the downloads page of Stuporstar's site, nor are they on the individual add-on's pages.

They're in the addons folder included with the mod.

Not a stupid question, since a lot of people have asked. Next time I'm gonna pack everything in BAIN-friendly folders to make installing options easier.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
*CIA Voice* BAIN...?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Average Bear posted:

*CIA Voice* BAIN...?

BAsh
INstaller

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Get em on board, I'll call it in.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What are you doing?

Crashing this game.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Stuporstar posted:

They're in the addons folder included with the mod.

Not a stupid question, since a lot of people have asked. Next time I'm gonna pack everything in BAIN-friendly folders to make installing options easier.

Ok, that makes sense. I moved the add-ons to their own folder in my archives directory and installed the MWSE, RoHT, TR, and Weapon Rotate add-ons. My game now crashes when I try to load with these warnings:

pre:
Expression Error Unable to find object "T_Bk_SongOfPelinalPC" in script BKU_CompleteVolsTR.
Expression Error Unable to find object "T_Bk_ArkayTheGodPC" in script BKU_LibraryGlobal_TR1.
What's going on here? Some problem with TR, it looks like, but I have no idea where to start.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

One of the book addons references old and deprecated tr books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

hooah posted:

Ok, that makes sense. I moved the add-ons to their own folder in my archives directory and installed the MWSE, RoHT, TR, and Weapon Rotate add-ons. My game now crashes when I try to load with these warnings:

pre:
Expression Error Unable to find object "T_Bk_SongOfPelinalPC" in script BKU_CompleteVolsTR.
Expression Error Unable to find object "T_Bk_ArkayTheGodPC" in script BKU_LibraryGlobal_TR1.
What's going on here? Some problem with TR, it looks like, but I have no idea where to start.

Yeah that one addon is now an external dl because the TR team now handles updating it: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind...d%3D44656&pUp=1

Ignore the (obsolete) in the page header--that's referencing a different mod on the same page.