Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My dynasty has like 5 different bloodlines. All of them created by me when I land on someone with no bloodline thanks to how eldership sometimes shakes out.

No character has them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I don’t really get how a bloodline is created. Is it only possible if you have the ambition active? If so, it seems like you have a choice to either go through the event chain, or complete the various tasks (build 10 of each holding type, etc.)? Are there other circumstances in which you can start a bloodline? What triggers the ambition to appear? I’ve had a few characters get the ambition but none lived long enough to complete the event chain.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Bold Robot posted:

I don’t really get how a bloodline is created. Is it only possible if you have the ambition active? If so, it seems like you have a choice to either go through the event chain, or complete the various tasks (build 10 of each holding type, etc.)? Are there other circumstances in which you can start a bloodline? What triggers the ambition to appear? I’ve had a few characters get the ambition but none lived long enough to complete the event chain.

The ambition requires 5000 prestige to begin. There are a few other triggers for bloodlines:
Completing a pagan warrior lodge Legendary Gathering gives you one
Becoming a saint/venerated ancestor gives you (and your descendants) one
Accomplishing certain difficult tasks also grant a bloodline, such as becoming Immortal or founding Rome
Finally, certain events can grant a bloodline, such as discovering you are of the blood of Alexander

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

I’ve had a few characters get the ambition but none lived long enough to complete the event chain.

I got this and didn't want to do the 10 buildings thing, so a couple of event choices later I ended up with some quasi-bad lineage I can't remember the name of that gave negative opinion modifiers with all vassals but +15 arrest chance.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
most bloodlines range from completely pointless to situationally helpful, anyway. the main exception i can think of is the hybrid builder bloodline, which involves building 24 holdings without building 10 of any one holding - so you end up with like 9 castles, 9 towns, and 6 temples or some poo poo. that's -20% build cost and -20% build time, which is hugely useful as you're transitioning into the stable king role and you're sharply interested in your own demense being insanely built up. it also stays useful pretty much forever since after everything is built at home, you will want hospitals to protect your investments, and those are hella expensive. i tend not to sweat bloodlines too much simply because so many of them are dubiously handy.

other ones i have found useful in the past:
sly killer: kill 30 people
the good - +10% arrest chance comes in handy more often than you think if you do not have auto-stop plots on. it's nice to catch some idiot plotting and then throw them in house arrest until the day they die, or to get easy money out of them. obfuscation also helps when you have to get your kinslayer on, but by the time you're forging bloodlines that really shouldn't be something you're dealing with often. this is also the only murder bloodline that DOESNT give -vassal opinion (and is therefore the only one worth getting).
the bad - enables murderous AI so you cannot control your kin by making them Kind or something - this makes controlling title claimants much more important so your murderous kin won't have a reason to kill you. but again, by the time you are emperor level you should have enough branches of your family that that's well under control.

warrior philosopher: win 15 foreign wars, 8 learning, no dumb markers
the good - drilling troops is really helpful for excursions into pagan lands to help with attrition. you can still make it useful by educating all your cousins and non-inheriting kids as soldiers and turn them into some hella good commanders.
the bad - everything besides Drill relies on you personally leading the troops, so it's 100% pointless on your avatar.

builder/killer bloodline: build 15 holdings, kill 20 people
the good - +1 tax rate and -1 revolt risk globally. it's always active. gets you access to special castle buildings that give you approximately -infinity% revolt risk
the bad - who the gently caress cares about revolts unless you are playing with them being extremely powerful? by default they are so dumb and forgettable that at most this just limits your annoyance.

most of the other forged bloodlines are either entirely pointless or have downsides that outweigh any possible upsides (most of the murder bloodlines are like this). collecting stuff like karling blood is also typically not that helpful, but they're free with a little planning so there's no reason to not collect them.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Kaza42 posted:

The ambition requires 5000 prestige to begin. There are a few other triggers for bloodlines:
Completing a pagan warrior lodge Legendary Gathering gives you one
Becoming a saint/venerated ancestor gives you (and your descendants) one
Accomplishing certain difficult tasks also grant a bloodline, such as becoming Immortal or founding Rome
Finally, certain events can grant a bloodline, such as discovering you are of the blood of Alexander

I have an ancestor who is beatified but hasn’t been made a saint. Anything I can do to try and move that process along?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The family bloodline's alright because it makes your dynasty like you a bit more and lets you meddle if they become total fuckups. (ie: stop a son from being lustful so he won't piss off all your vassals by cheating with all their wives, stop them from eating/starving themselves to death)

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Ok I started another game, this time in 867 as some dude in Norway so let's see what shenanigans I can get up to!

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I built my Roman Empire as far as I want to go and it's only 972 and now I'm just dealing with independence revolts every three years agh

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

My guy has 5k prestige and the bloodline ambition isn’t appearing. Is there another requirement? He hasn’t made a bloodline before, which is the only restriction I know of.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Ok, well, managed to conquer enough stuff to declare myself king of Norway. Only missing 4 provinces, but a couple of them are underneath a dude with tons of land so I'd probably have to save for mercenaries to take those. Most likely I'll just send my guys on another loot run of mainland Europe.

I tried to pillage Rome and the Pope called in buddies. Expected it but go big or go home (we went home)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
My heir is imprisoned by one of my vassals. Is there anything I can do to free him? He was excommunicated, which is probably why he was thrown in there, but I got the pope to unexcommunicate him. I picked the intrigue focus but I don't see any way to use the option to free him from captivity.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Murder your vassal and his descendants until you inherit his prison

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Node posted:

My heir is imprisoned by one of my vassals. Is there anything I can do to free him? He was excommunicated, which is probably why he was thrown in there, but I got the pope to unexcommunicate him. I picked the intrigue focus but I don't see any way to use the option to free him from captivity.

Have you tried ransoming him?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Bold Robot posted:

Have you tried ransoming him?

How?

Anyways, this point is moot, this current game is almost over.

I'd like to start in the Byzantine Empire as a Duke in the earliest start date, and hopefully work my way towards becoming emperor myself. What would be the best way to do that?

edit: Ugh nevermind this new government type for the Byzantines sucks.

Node fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 3, 2019

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Palemdromes posted:

My guy has 5k prestige and the bloodline ambition isn’t appearing. Is there another requirement? He hasn’t made a bloodline before, which is the only restriction I know of.

I believe there's a higher prestige requirement if any other member of your dynasty has a bloodline, so that could be the problem.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Node posted:

How?

Anyways, this point is moot, this current game is almost over.

I'd like to start in the Byzantine Empire as a Duke in the earliest start date, and hopefully work my way towards becoming emperor myself. What would be the best way to do that?

edit: Ugh nevermind this new government type for the Byzantines sucks.

For future reference, you can pull up the imprisoned courtier's character page, right click their portrait, and pick "Ransom prisoner". If the person holding them captive won't let you (holding your cursor over the "No" should give a list of reasons why, and their modifiers), it may be possible to change that if you bribe them with a gift of money, then select ransom.

I think freeing someone from prison works the same way, pick intrigue focus, and right click their portrait.

Also, try considering giving the Byzantines a bit longer: the government is hard to get used to, but you can blind and castrate your prisoners. One of my greatest CKII moments came from when I jailed all my sons to cut their balls off for inheritance reasons, and my second son's wife kept getting pregnant, and my eunnuch son kept claiming that those kids were his, yup, no suspicion there.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is it possible to seduce another ruler's wife, get her pregnant, and not make it known that it's your kid until after they inherit?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Is it possible to seduce another ruler's wife, get her pregnant, and not make it known that it's your kid until after they inherit?

no

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

On a similar note, I had my first son baptized by the pope, which was quite expensive. A bit later my wife confessed to adultery. Now the kid is not considered my son anymore? Not in my dynasty and not my heir. Is this how it's supposed to work? I chose the "I forgive you" option, but maybe I shouldn't have :/

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

You can use spying focus to find out if someone is illegitimate but no I don’t think you can use it like you’re asking.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's a shame, but I guess it would be kind of hilariously powerful if you could do that.

As a female ruler, is there any way to gain additional plot power for kill plots against people by when I seduce them? It seems to not have an influence at all which is odd.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bold Robot posted:

I have an ancestor who is beatified but hasn’t been made a saint. Anything I can do to try and move that process along?

not really, sainthood is partially a function of how many saints already exist. they get rarer as time goes on and more characters are sainted. i was able to get a saint by starting in ireland in 769 and going super hard on pious godly characters, my first ruler survived to 70 and had 6/7 virtues and other positive traits and he was the first saint in the game. after a couple hundred years there were two other saints created elsewhere in the world and although nearly every king i had who held the throne for more than a decade was also a complete pious choir boy, all of them beatified, none of them were sainted (yet)

As a female ruler, is there any way to gain additional plot power for kill plots against people by when I seduce them? It seems to not have an influence at all which is odd.

i think the 'murder harem' strategy is to seduce everyone else in your target's court so that you've got a line of co conspirators charmed by your feminine wiles

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the target's opinion of you is immaterial to an assassination plot directly. you can leverage high opinion of you into other benefits, like getting on the council of someone (if it's your liege, for example) to give you more leverage. alternately you can seduce people you want to invite to the plot, and that would help.

really the best thing you can do with the seduction focus on a female ruler is to get a trusting husband and find someone you actually want to gently caress (genius, strong, good bloodline, whatever) and then repeatedly seduce and then leave them. this will get you pregnant quickest and also get you to master seductress quickest - failing any terrible luck you should be able to get it within a couple of years. the +50 sex appeal bonus from master seductress should make finding co-conspirators much, much easier.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Catalina posted:

Also, try considering giving the Byzantines a bit longer: the government is hard to get used to, but you can blind and castrate your prisoners. One of my greatest CKII moments came from when I jailed all my sons to cut their balls off for inheritance reasons, and my second son's wife kept getting pregnant, and my eunnuch son kept claiming that those kids were his, yup, no suspicion there.

one of the greatest bugs in the history of gaming was when they added this feature as part of the byzantine dlc, but forgot to add a check on the character mutilation, so there was a huge performance hit as every game tick every greek character checked to see if they could blind or castrate every other character in the empire:

groogy post on the paradox forums:

quote:

In essence, more dead characters doesn't make game slower. More alive characters does. But what really hits performance are large empires because it increases the amounts of realms (every ruler technically holds his own sub-realm) meaning more evaluations per character has to be made. For instance I discovered late game that huge greek/byzantine empires were slowing down the game because each greek person was evaluating against each other person in the realm "can I castrate?", and this took up like a huge chunk of the performance of the AI. I hink 70% of the AI demands were about castrating or blinding someone when I loaded late-game byzantine saves. Luckily this is fixed in the coming 2.4 patch. A fun little anecdote.

really the 2.4 patch notes are a work of incredible genius:

quote:

- Characters who love their spouses very much are now less likely to join holy orders.
- Paranoid parents should no longer worry about potential plots against dead children.
- The lustful cabin can no longer cause multiple pregnancies or create children between two female lovers.
- Handsome and lustful men now also populate the cabins in the wild for the pleasures of people who find them attractive.
- You no longer punish yourself when a prisoner tries to flee from your prison by charming the guard.
- You no longer feel bad for having a romantic relationship with your spouse.
- You'll no longer try to talk to your dead children when you have the family focus.
- You can no longer arrange a ball in the dungeons.
- Family bliss achievement now correctly fires from family bliss conditions rather than mudslinger achievement conditions.
- Until Death Do Us Part achievement is now attainable even if your murder plot is not discovered.
- Unborn Shiite Caliphate claimants no longer arrive early before they are born.
- Women will now also ask for a job title if they are allowed to hold it and are more qualified than the current council member.
- Monks and other people living in celibacy will no longer try to arrange stealth marriages if ruled by a patrician.
- Discovering two vassals of the same sex engaging in carnal activities during pagan feasts no longer let's the liege join in on the fun.
- Character Finder: The 'Married' filter now excludes concubines too
- Blocked impregnation by female lovers or modded female 'husbands'
- Family Focus: fixed some issues with improved relations between dead family members
- Muslims are now allowed to fire their Court Imam if he is of another religion!
- AI will not join wars against spouse
- No longer possible to banish your spouse or concubine
- Fixed a bug where the Chancellor might discover himself trying to fabricate a claim on his own titles and kill himself
- Invalidated Great Holy Wars no longer fire a major event saying they succeeded
- Being able to have concubines overrides polygamy now.
- Fixed a world peace bug when everyone would become allied to everyone.
- Fixed bug where honorary titles did not change the opinion from your spouse.
- Fixed bug where children were considered born in the purple even if the ruling parent was dead when the child was concieved.
- You no longer gain religious authority for looting temples of your own religion.

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 4, 2019

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Question about raiding as a pagan: if I sack a province I ultimately wanna go to war with, will the raid make them weaker during the war?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Skypie posted:

Question about raiding as a pagan: if I sack a province I ultimately wanna go to war with, will the raid make them weaker during the war?

Yep. You even get a stack of ducats the second time as well, since you get money for every holding you fully siege down.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
raiding someone down and then immediately declaring war on them and conquering the rubble is an extremely power pagan move

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Patching out world peace is kinda funny

How on earth could you get everyone to ally each other though

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

quote:

- Fixed a bug where the Chancellor might discover himself trying to fabricate a claim on his own titles and kill himself
this one was my favorite

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The castration thing is also hilarious because of the stories of that one goon MP game where everybody was Byzantine and it turned into a shitload of negotiation to try and preserve one's meat and two veg.

I still get a good chuckle at the thought of goons in a chat or something pleading "What'll it take for you to NOT cut off my dick?" with their captors.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Is there a way to edit the Byzantine Empire so they start with primogeniture succession? Yes, I am aware imperial elective is more historically accurate, and yes, I am aware that it's cheating, but I just want to paint the world purple without dealing with this government type.

Besides, if you can jump through hurdles and reform the HRE into primo, you should be able to do it with the ERE too.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Node posted:

Is there a way to edit the Byzantine Empire so they start with primogeniture succession? Yes, I am aware imperial elective is more historically accurate, and yes, I am aware that it's cheating, but I just want to paint the world purple without dealing with this government type.

Besides, if you can jump through hurdles and reform the HRE into primo, you should be able to do it with the ERE too.

Don't think you can. I honestly already tried to get rid of the government type by blatantly cheating using the console, game config and whatnot but I couldn't change it at all, even if I manage to change via the console command of doing so it instantly jumped back as soon as I kept time going freely again.

Lost that game shortly afterwards, too, because my vassals kept naming my landless wife as my successor instead of my son and once I died without anything but like one castle she even imprisoned and executed me, despite me being her loving son.
Historically accurate though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Node posted:

You should be able to change to Gavelkind via console, and then do a recalc_succession. Once you're in Gavelkind you should be able to do the normal law changes.

code:
       succ_gavelkind = {
                oldest_child_opinion = -5
                child_opinion = 15
                dynasty_opinion = 5
                vassal_opinion = 5

potential = {
                        NAND = { 
                                has_law = succ_byzantine_elective 
                                OR = { 
                                        title = e_byzantium
                                        title = e_roman_empire
                                }
                        }
The NAND statement means that you can't have both byz elective (Imperial Elective) and hold either the Byzantine or Roman Empire titles. But if you use the console to force gavelkind while paused, and then run the recalc_succession command, it should update properly since you're not longer using byzantine_elective.

You can also just edit the history file, but you're better off making a mini-mod and doing it that way; it's not best practices to edit the original game files.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

You can also just mod it so the emperors vote is worth 1000 points or whatever essentially making it heir designation. Succesion_voting_specials is what you want to look in, and then elector_vote_strength, the first value is the emperors.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Node posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1566258536

This mod allows it but makes you work for it, like the HRE.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

ninjahedgehog posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1566258536

This mod allows it but makes you work for it, like the HRE.

Thanks! I assume this would make achievements unattainable?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

binge crotching posted:

You should be able to change to Gavelkind via console, and then do a recalc_succession. Once you're in Gavelkind you should be able to do the normal law changes.

code:
       succ_gavelkind = {
                oldest_child_opinion = -5
                child_opinion = 15
                dynasty_opinion = 5
                vassal_opinion = 5

potential = {
                        NAND = { 
                                has_law = succ_byzantine_elective 
                                OR = { 
                                        title = e_byzantium
                                        title = e_roman_empire
                                }
                        }
The NAND statement means that you can't have both byz elective (Imperial Elective) and hold either the Byzantine or Roman Empire titles. But if you use the console to force gavelkind while paused, and then run the recalc_succession command, it should update properly since you're not longer using byzantine_elective.

You can also just edit the history file, but you're better off making a mini-mod and doing it that way; it's not best practices to edit the original game files.

Oh that's neat! Any idea why gavelkind specifically works there? Never thought about this when fiddling with the concept.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Haha, holy poo poo, I'm 250 years into my game of being a Catholic Lomard ruling the Holy Roman Empire, but due to deaths and murders, I've ended up with a character I REALLY didn't mean to inherit: an insane, peg-legged woman who is a secretly-practicing Orthodox Christian. Most of the empire's male rulers have incredibly negative opinions of her because she's a branded apostate (thanks, virtual Mom!), her heir is female, and they find her unattractive due to insanity and one-legged.
During her coronation, I saw an option I hadn't before, to grab the crown from the Pope's hands and crown herself, which of course I did, and of course got her excommunicated. I had her respond to that by renouncing Catholicism and coming out as an Orthodox, and then bribing the Ecumenical Patriarch to overlook that whole "disrespecting the will of the Christian church" thing (15 gold, it was a steal). This is an Ironman game, and not where I foresaw it going, but gently caress if I'm not gonna roll with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you're doing it right