Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

speaking of final fantasy, how's the WoFF port? I see it's $20 on the eshop right now instead of $40 and i'm kinda eyeing it

Its not a very good game and runs fine since its a vita game originally. If 20 dollars for that sounds good buy away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

I'm only in favor of a series making the jump from pixel art to 3D if the hardware can do it well. "Well" doesn't necessarily mean more polygons, low poly can look great, but the graphics should be sharp, bright, and clear, not blurred or muddy/muted.
so we're in agreement that it's about art direction and not polygon count then :colbert:

I do agree that whenever low poly games try to go for a more "realistic" look it tends to look bad. Like, Fire Emblem Awakening even used a ton of bloom. That does not look good in that resolution.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Anybody mess around with the Daemon x Machina demo? I heard it looked great, but the framerate got hit hard both in docked and undocked modes.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Did Stardew ever get the update that lets you reset your talent tree?

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Yeah, you do it through a statue in the sewers.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

speaking of final fantasy, how's the WoFF port? I see it's $20 on the eshop right now instead of $40 and i'm kinda eyeing it

WoFF is not very good but some people think its a really cute game

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Chocobo's Dungeon drops 2 days before Sekiro and that's bullshit because I want both

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heath posted:

Chocobo's Dungeon drops 2 days before Sekiro and that's bullshit because I want both

With the power of money, you can buy both!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just beat Orochi, for the first time? and finally Okami is starting to grab my interest. Hopefully this holds. Something like 14 hours in.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

cliffdiver posted:

Anybody mess around with the Daemon x Machina demo? I heard it looked great

I did, it looks like Xenoblade X but worse

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

Looking to get a case/grip for handheld Switch times. Is there a must have option?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Enjoyed my first run of ToeJam & Earl. Nice combo of the first two games, glad they didn't throw out everything about ToeJam & Earl 2 (which they easily could have) since stuff like the bush-searching and Hyperfunk Zone stop it feeling like just an updated remake.

Also glad that Level 0 is still there

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Satisfye is the gold standard for a grip, and there's a combo available on their website and on Amazon that comes with a case that'll fit the grip.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Annath posted:

I'm only in favor of a series making the jump from pixel art to 3D if the hardware can do it well. "Well" doesn't necessarily mean more polygons, low poly can look great, but the graphics should be sharp, bright, and clear, not blurred or muddy/muted.
So what you're saying is Mario 64 was a mistake.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

American McGay posted:

So what you're saying is Mario 64 was a mistake.

If you think about it, Super Paper Mario is a superior version of Super Mario 64.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Almost all 3D games on the og DS were ugly as sin but Square had a pretty good grasp on the system’s strengths and weaknesses and their 3D games on the system all looked and played great.
Except for the FFIII Remake. We don’t talk about that one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sudden Javelin posted:

Enjoyed my first run of ToeJam & Earl. Nice combo of the first two games, glad they didn't throw out everything about ToeJam & Earl 2 (which they easily could have) since stuff like the bush-searching and Hyperfunk Zone stop it feeling like just an updated remake.

Also glad that Level 0 is still there

As a huge fan of the original (and less so the sequel), this is great news.

Is there still a voice over that says "HYPER FUNK ZONE" when you enter the.. uhh... hyper funk zone?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Except for the FFIII Remake. We don’t talk about that one.

what?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF3DS, which took an already poorly designed NES game and accentuated the bad parts while fixing none of its problems

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

FF3DS, which took an already poorly designed NES game and accentuated the bad parts while fixing none of its problems

sure, but the graphics were adorable

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

As a huge fan of the original (and less so the sequel), this is great news.

Is there still a voice over that says "HYPER FUNK ZONE" when you enter the.. uhh... hyper funk zone?

There is.

Also the boombox jamming w/ aliens minigame from 2 is back but it's a lot easier. Instead of repeating what they do its a "press buttons as they slide down the screen" like DDR/Guitar Hero

There's a difficult one on Level 0, you unlock something if you beat it

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What does this mean? You catch and breed and fight the monsters?

Yeah, although looking it up it looks like they first started doing it in DQV, before the Monsters games and even before Pokemon

Wikipedia posted:

The game's monster-collecting concept has since become influential, appearing in many later franchises such as Pokémon, Digimon and Dokapon. In turn, the concept of collecting everything in a game, in the form of achievements or similar rewards, has since become a common trend in video games. Dragon Quest V has also been credited as the first known video game to feature a playable pregnancy, a concept that has since appeared in later games such as Story of Seasons, The Sims 2 and Fable II.

Dragon quest V invented video games

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Your Computer posted:

yeah I liked Final Fantasy 3. I had a team of little ninjas and earth benders wrecking poo poo

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

cliffdiver posted:

Anybody mess around with the Daemon x Machina demo? I heard it looked great, but the framerate got hit hard both in docked and undocked modes.

I noticed slowdown during the giant mech fights, but fine otherwise. I'm getting it when it comes out, because it scratches my Armored Core itch.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I have *always* felt like the original FFIV NDS port - which was a completely new localization and translation of the game - was really a gem of a game. I for one was a huge fan of that game and played it once 'casually' which was still an epic experience, and then a second time with a guide and getting all the super-rare and powerful equipment and weapons - really a fun and challenging game, as I recall, And I grew up watching my brother play FFIV (as FF2 on the SNES) when I like 5 or 6, so it had a special significance to me to play this new version. I felt like that remake just did a fantastic job in the character redesigns and rewritten dialogue - it felt like they made a tremendous effort to retain the essence of the original characters, and it worked.

IMO it's easily in the top 3 3/DS games that were ever made and easily the best game that the same team, which I assume also did the FF3 DS port, and then World of Light and eventually the Bravely Default games (I never finished the first one i admit because good loving god). I really feel like the FFIV remake was definitely among the best RPGs that came out on the DS/3DS and still holds up. That's the only one I'd care to see go on the Switch, out of all the games from the DS/3DS that were released with the title "Final Fantasy".

kaworu fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 2, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Your Computer posted:

yeah it still looked fine but the game suffered from a lot of other technical issues that dragged it down hard. I feel like the decision to reduce the amount of monsters on-screen to improve performance must've come later in development than it should've because the way the game is rebalanced to compensate is really sloppy and bad.
FFIV DS came out 3 years later and it shows that they had a much better grasp of the hardware by then because that version of the game is phenomenal.

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 2, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

4DS was great because they overhauled 4's simplistic gameplay with a bunch of new elements and ramped up the challenge enough to actually be challenging to old players without having too much bullshit. It's not perfect, but I definitely have a lot more respect for it than the 3 remake, which doubled down on archaic bullshit because the guy in charge of the project had some user-unfriendly and archaic views on game design (Tanaka, for the record, was also responsible for FF14 1.0 and the less-player-friendly eras of FF11, at least before he "retired" from his position after the FF14 debacle).

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

On a side note, I am also very conflicted about whether I should buy WoFF on sale for ~$20, or Mario + Rabbids, which is on sale again for $20.

On the one hand, I am a total Final Fantasy fanboy; the first message board I ever posted on was a Final Fantasy board back in 1999 right when FFVIII came out. That was like, my entry point into the culture of the internet. So it's rather beloved to me. If WoFF is really adorable and actually does have lots of references and stuff from FFIV-FFX (that's really my era and anything later is out of my nostalgia zone even FFX is pushing it) then I would really be psyched.

On the other hand, I did just get FFIX, so I will have an FF game to play.. I have lots of Switch "must-own" games (BotW, Smash, Mario Kart) but I lack any sort of game like Mario + Rabbids, and I barely know how the game works; I never played XCOM.

So out of curiosity - I really played and loved Blizzard strategy games like Warcraft 3, and Starcraft 1+2 -but I loved the campaigns, not the multiplayer. I assume Mario + Rabbids is like, turn based strategy? I have never played much of that, honestly, not out of dislike, I just never tried them much. Never played FF Tactics for instance, or disgaea or any Fire Emblem games, etc. I have no clue if they are similar. I might like it though, who knows.

So I dunno - I'd like to get one or the other.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I played WOFF a bunch on the Vita (never finished it, so I rebought it for Switch), and I've been having a lot of fun with it so far. It seems to reference pretty much every FF at least once up to Lightning in FF13. It's got a fun battle system, too. Can't speak for the plot much, but your main characters barely have names, so this feels more like "FF Fanservice: The Game." Maybe up your alley?

M+R is Mario Xcom, more or less. If that sounds awesome, then definitely get it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rudoku posted:

I noticed slowdown during the giant mech fights, but fine otherwise. I'm getting it when it comes out, because it scratches my Armored Core itch.

I didn’t have any slow downs so it might vary, looks like rear end handheld tho.

Also really fun and I don’t really play mech games

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

kaworu posted:

On a side note, I am also very conflicted about whether I should buy WoFF on sale for ~$20, or Mario + Rabbids, which is on sale again for $20.

On the one hand, I am a total Final Fantasy fanboy; the first message board I ever posted on was a Final Fantasy board back in 1999 right when FFVIII came out. That was like, my entry point into the culture of the internet. So it's rather beloved to me. If WoFF is really adorable and actually does have lots of references and stuff from FFIV-FFX (that's really my era and anything later is out of my nostalgia zone even FFX is pushing it) then I would really be psyched.

On the other hand, I did just get FFIX, so I will have an FF game to play.. I have lots of Switch "must-own" games (BotW, Smash, Mario Kart) but I lack any sort of game like Mario + Rabbids, and I barely know how the game works; I never played XCOM.

So out of curiosity - I really played and loved Blizzard strategy games like Warcraft 3, and Starcraft 1+2 -but I loved the campaigns, not the multiplayer. I assume Mario + Rabbids is like, turn based strategy? I have never played much of that, honestly, not out of dislike, I just never tried them much. Never played FF Tactics for instance, or disgaea or any Fire Emblem games, etc. I have no clue if they are similar. I might like it though, who knows.

So I dunno - I'd like to get one or the other.

I was also looking at these two, plus a few other cool-looking games on sale right now:
-Child of Light (is this any good?) $9.99
-Rayman Legends $15.99
-Transistor (what i'm leaning toward) $13.99
-Mulaka $11.98
-Assault Android Cactus (something about this game seems appealing... it has a sort of "N64 3rd party gem" vibe) $14.99
-Kero Blaster $6.99

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Open Layer posted:

Looking to get a case/grip for handheld Switch times. Is there a must have option?

Mega64 posted:

Satisfye is the gold standard for a grip, and there's a combo available on their website and on Amazon that comes with a case that'll fit the grip.

Still needs to be added to the Op.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Chill Penguin posted:

I was also looking at these two, plus a few other cool-looking games on sale right now:
-Rayman Legends $15.99
-Mulaka $11.98
-Assault Android Cactus (something about this game seems appealing... it has a sort of "N64 3rd party gem" vibe) $14.99
-Kero Blaster $6.99

Out of all of those, Rayman Legends is definitely worth its weight at $15

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mario and rabbids is an amazing, high-quality take on xcom with great movement mechanics.

Its an amazing strategy game even if you have never played xcom.

You should totally pick it up.

The donkey kong dlc campaign is a great addition too.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Chill Penguin posted:

-Rayman Legends $15.99
-Mulaka $11.98
-Kero Blaster $6.99

Rayman Legends is an incredible game and you unlock the entirety of Rayman Origins in it too, so you're basically getting two great games for $15. Legends is definitely the more polished of the two, but both are good. In fact, Legends is so good that if you like platformers at all, you're only hurting yourself not playing it.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Chill Penguin posted:

-Child of Light (is this any good?)

Child of Light is epic and gorgeous and a good girlfriend game (2p co-op classic-feel rpg, with a bit of crafting stat enhancements between battles)

& Kero Blaster is quite fun

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Suspicious Cook posted:

Rayman Legends is an incredible game and you unlock the entirety of Rayman Origins in it too, so you're basically getting two great games for $15. Legends is definitely the more polished of the two, but both are good. In fact, Legends is so good that if you like platformers at all, you're only hurting yourself not playing it.

Iirc aren't a couple of Origins stages and the boss battles missing in Legends?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Augus posted:

yeah it still looked fine but the game suffered from a lot of other technical issues that dragged it down hard. I feel like the decision to reduce the amount of monsters on-screen to improve performance must've come later in development than it should've because the way the game is rebalanced to compensate is really sloppy and bad.
FFIV DS came out 3 years later and it shows that they had a much better grasp of the hardware by then because that version of the game is phenomenal.

If you look at the guy who did FF3DS body of work I think you'll find no, no he probably intended this on purpose from the beginning. Possibly even sitting down with his team to design the experience so it was as frustrating and unpleasant as possible.

Pharohman777 posted:

Mario and rabbids is an amazing, high-quality take on xcom with great movement mechanics.

This person is correct. Mario + Rabbids is a fantastic game and is unironically my favorite game on the switch.

World of Final Fantasy on the other hand just. Its just really bad and even if the literal only thing that motivates you to play a game is "cute monsters" the amount of palette swapping and gating of anything interesting is going to gnaw at you. God its terrible and a complete waste of its concept, and I don't even like the core concept!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Iirc aren't a couple of Origins stages and the boss battles missing in Legends?

Maybe? If so, the couple things you're missing don't really matter in the face of the whole of Legends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Just beat Orochi, for the first time? and finally Okami is starting to grab my interest. Hopefully this holds. Something like 14 hours in.

Yep that's a great sequence and when the game kicks it into high gear! The area you'll be going to next is my favorite in the game (mostly because of the overworld music. God I LOVE the music from that area!)

kaworu posted:

I have *always* felt like the original FFIV NDS port - which was a completely new localization and translation of the game - was really a gem of a game. I for one was a huge fan of that game and played it once 'casually' which was still an epic experience, and then a second time with a guide and getting all the super-rare and powerful equipment and weapons - really a fun and challenging game, as I recall, And I grew up watching my brother play FFIV (as FF2 on the SNES) when I like 5 or 6, so it had a special significance to me to play this new version. I felt like that remake just did a fantastic job in the character redesigns and rewritten dialogue - it felt like they made a tremendous effort to retain the essence of the original characters, and it worked.

IMO it's easily in the top 3 3/DS games that were ever made and easily the best game that the same team, which I assume also did the FF3 DS port, and then World of Light and eventually the Bravely Default games (I never finished the first one i admit because good loving god). I really feel like the FFIV remake was definitely among the best RPGs that came out on the DS/3DS and still holds up. That's the only one I'd care to see go on the Switch, out of all the games from the DS/3DS that were released with the title "Final Fantasy".

FFIVDS was my first experience with FFIV at all and I also maintain that it's a really well-done remake and the definitive version of the game. I kept wishing they would give FF6 the same treatment... and they never did. :smith: