Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

Can someone explain this whole tree law thing to me?

Every once in a while there'll be a post on /r/legaladvice or somewhere similar where someone will come and complain about how their neighbor cut down a tree in their yard after an argument or somesuch. This is followed by people laying out a list of all the laws this breaks and giving an estimate of how much the neighbor will likely have to pay in damages in the end. It's never a small sum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm sold, but only if it includes Ice T(ree) talking about crazy sex and drug fads for saplings.

It's a new street drug, they call it aspirin, it's made out of willow bark and carnauba wax, the kids are taking it.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Bakanogami posted:

Every once in a while there'll be a post on /r/legaladvice or somewhere similar where someone will come and complain about how their neighbor cut down a tree in their yard after an argument or somesuch. This is followed by people laying out a list of all the laws this breaks and giving an estimate of how much the neighbor will likely have to pay in damages in the end. It's never a small sum.

Those are my favorite posts in the Bad With Money thread here. In another lifetime, I would have gone into tree law instead of being a scientist.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

pseudanonymous posted:

It's a new street drug, they call it aspirin, it's made out of willow bark and carnauba wax, the kids are taking it.

Saw a 6-month old robbed for a couple of baby aspirin. I can't take this job anymore...

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I'm way late, but that court minute in the Roger Stone case is some great stuff. You only see multi-paragraph reasoning and detailed quotes like that in a mere court minute when a judge is loving pissed.

Just wanted to mention that I appreciate this contribution of your perspective to this thread and, iirc, past trumpthread iterations. Nice to have someone like you weighing in.

Ballz posted:

Last minute here, but Westboro Baptist Church was in Virginia today to protest Delegate Danica Roem, the state’s (country’s?) first transgender member of the legislature. She’s turned it into a fundraising opportunity and is thiiiis close to raising $15,000 in a single day.

https://twitter.com/pwcdanica/status/1101700113045573632?s=21

That now-about-16k may be chump change for major national candidates, but this is a real thing for someone at the state level. Great stuff. I believe you're correct that she's the first trans legislator in the US.

edit: regarding lorax-statute stuff, my jurisdiction has a minimum of triple damages, plus attorney fees, for wrongful injury to timber.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 2, 2019

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

pseudanonymous posted:

Talk to your kids about Reye Syndrome before it's too late!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yo, so you're telling me that a couple takes a knife and carves their initials into a tree?
Death by guillotine woodchipper

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

pseudanonymous posted:

Hey, we get it. It wasn't your fault. You were a pine young thing, you got a lil' frisky in the springtime, next thing you know you dropped a couple a cones. Those saplin's were sucking the life outta you. You weren't gonna make it through the winter. It was you or them, right? Now they're gone, you're livin' the high life again, got bees in your branches and birds in your leaves. Who could blame you?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Bakanogami posted:

A friend had a problem with an oak tree that's like 20 meters tall from the neighbour that grows leaning into my friends property. The problem is that it throws shade on his porch and also drops like half a ton of acorns every year. He called in a tree surgeon that used a laser pointer to see what part of the tree is on his property and then had the surgeon cut away everything on his property.

Naturally this left a horribly deformed tree that died and the neighbours are upset about the death of an oak that was probably 200 years old.

How much does my friend owe?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Katt posted:

A friend had a problem with an oak tree that's like 20 meters tall from the neighbour that grows leaning into my friends property. The problem is that it throws shade on his porch and also drops like half a ton of acorns every year. He called in a tree surgeon that used a laser pointer to see what part of the tree is on his property and then had the surgeon cut away everything on his property.

Naturally this left a horribly deformed tree that died and the neighbours are upset about the death of an oak that was probably 200 years old.

Not an expert, and these laws vary by state.

From what I understand, the location of the trunk determines ownership of the tree. In most states you are allowed to cut back branches from your property, but there is precedent that you can be held liable if you don't act "reasonably" about trimming the branches. (Here's an article I found about the subject in California)

Trimming all the way to the property line and the tree subsequently dying might be warning signs that your friend didn't act reasonably and the neighbor has a case against them, though it would probably depend further on what correspondence there was between the two, how much photo evidence of the tree pre-cutting there was, etc.

Tree value is generally calculated by age, but damages paid for tree lawsuits can easily reach 5, maybe even 6 figures.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Katt posted:

It sounds like you aren't from the US, so I don't know what your locality's law are, but in the US you are allowed to trim any branches that hang over the property line. However, if you kill the tree, you might be liable for that and would have to pay to replace the tree plus treble damages, which might be super expensive. In one /r/legaladvice thread someone got like a half a million dollars.

Like everything in law though it depends on the circumstances, and you don't have to do anything until they sue you, at which point a court will figure it out.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Katt posted:

Tree law is legit serious business and your friend should have probably taken the advice of a tree lawyer before he did that.

I know tree law and tree lawyer sound like a joke but they're both quite real.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really want one of you tree law people to make a thread for tree law stories and discussion of tree law now

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sitting in the airport and CNN is pushing a retrospective on “The Bush Years” subtitled: Family. Duty. Power. asafdfcc

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Katt posted:

Your friend should hope like hell that his neighbors don't lawyer up. I'd guess from the spelling that you're in the UK? Tree law is very much a thing there, although IIRC not the automatic treble damages that it is in most of the US.

Consider how expensive it would be to transplant a new oak of similar size to replace the one he killed.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Captain Invictus posted:

I really want one of you tree law people to make a thread for tree law stories and discussion of tree law now

Tales of True Tree Law, Truncated.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
People love tree law because unlike regular law the damages received are actually comparable to your losses. If I get t-boned by a distracted driver and suffer permanent injuries, it's unlikely I'll ever see reimbursement beyond immediate medical bills and my car. I will likely never be made whole. Because of the treble damage provisions in tree law, there's a better chance the plaintiff walks away happy. Since tree law violations often involve home owner's insurance, there are usually better payouts than auto insurance and it's more likely the violator has assets rather than that uninsured driver who just hit you. If you're real lucky, a business with higher insurance coverage will chop down your grandpa's prized white oak.

Also, the kind of people who chop down trees illegally are pure strain assholes and it's good to see them get hit hard. Usually when you read stories about this, the violators have no idea what kind of poo poo they're in until well into the process. To the extent that they actually admit to chopping down the trees because, "what are you going to do? Sue?"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Unfortunately, nature and these freak colds are the only thing killing my big trees. Will likely have to get rid of them before they fall on anyone's houses or their branches block roads because they're just too big for climate change.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Me too. This is fascinating stuff.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The question is if the Bush family can be tried under tree law

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

The question is if the Bush family can be tried under tree law

Or James O'Keefe. :v:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1101829510071115777

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

They're probably just sticking them in an unairconditioned room with a billion sheets of paper and saying "go nuts. also the bathroom is broken."

Hannity in front of the judiciary committee would be a disaster. Look who's on that for dems. Ted Lieu would get absolutely dog walked. Maybe Eric Swalwell could hold his own? Hannity just wants clips of him being a loving rear end in a top hat to Lee and Jayapal.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

I agree with the calls for a Tree Law thread. This is fascinating.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1101837499230498816

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Please do not ever use the phrase “weak holes” in reference to anything trump related thank you

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I swear I just read that he lost a lawsuit wrt this property. Is he rewriting reality again in his head or something?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
That was about windmills off the coast, nothing to do with the course itself.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wark Say posted:

I swear I just read that he lost a lawsuit wrt this property. Is he rewriting reality again in his head or something?

Yup
https://mobile.twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1101314204424982535

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Hawtree is the guy that designed the holes. Of course he said there is no bad ones

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yo, so you're telling me that a couple takes a knife and carves their initials into a tree?

Actually it is illegal in some state parks and you can be charged with a misdemeanor. Its illegal in federal parks as well and you can be charged with all sorts of crimes. National Park service really doesn't like people defacing stuff in the parks.

TREE

L
A
W

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Probably he’s trying to drum up sympathy over his perfect golf course having its view ruined

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
"What are you in jail for?"

"I was out with my girlfriend and I proposed. To commemorate I carved our names into a 150 year old oak tree . Our wedding is planned in 5 to 10 years"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
:haw: :treemike:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Good. gently caress him and his (probably) tacky-as-hell golf courses.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Before we moved, my old neighbors had a black walnut tree near the property line that hung over my property and poo poo black walnuts all over my driveway and vehicles every September. I drat near rolled my ankle on one of those loving things at least a dozen times over the years. He kept promising to chop it down but never did. As far as I know it's still there to this day, making GBS threads walnuts all over the driveway and the new owners have to deal with it.

I never knew what to do because *tree law*, but I took great satisfaction in gathering those fuckers up and chucking them back into his yard.

In conclusion, gently caress black walnut trees forever amen.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 2, 2019

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

I don't often claim to speak for the whole UK but in absolutely no way is anyone happy he has a golf course here, least of all Scotland, and I believe as you get closer to where the course actually is the animosity rises.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Good. gently caress him and his (probably) tacky-as-hell golf courses.

It’s so, so much worse than just the tack.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 2, 2019

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tree law?

Heavy tree law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

jojoinnit posted:

I don't often claim to speak for the whole UK but in absolutely no way is anyone happy he has a golf course here, least of all Scotland, and I believe as you get closer to where the course actually is the animosity rises.

Sam Bee actually did a bit about just this, it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pbTmXsfiYk&t=1s