Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

i did nothing to deserve this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
To be fair I would also respect neck beard death amp more if they did personally kill people

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my company keeps teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. i solve the problem by studiously ignoring it

Is there anything you could do about it, even in a distinct way? If not that's actually a good decision, being in constant fear of losing your job may not be the best.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Muppets On PCP posted:

A sympathetic audience is everything: it is the difference between experiencing a moment of profound and terrifying conviction of the presence of real diabolical power, and a bunch of drunk frat boys laughing at guys in Halloween costumes and raccoon makeup.

one of this dude's band mates goes by Desekrator

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Goons Are Great posted:

Is there anything you could do about it, even in a distinct way? If not that's actually a good decision, being in constant fear of losing your job may not be the best.

i'm one of the two project managers at the company so I definitely have some kind of impact, but at the end of the day i have very limited effect on cash flow since we already run a lean operation. it mostly comes down to the whims of government agency accounting departments and the poor financial decisions made years before i joined the company

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i'm dog sitting my old puppy while my parents are out of town. i'm getting some very accusing stares for this whole "leaving for work" thing when i get back home. she's an old lady with very delicate sensibilities

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm dog sitting my old puppy while my parents are out of town. i'm getting some very accusing stares for this whole "leaving for work" thing when i get back home. she's an old lady with very delicate sensibilities
scientists are still at the "dogs have limited facial expression" stage but i think it'll turn out that dog-to-dog communication actually involves a huge range of subtle expressions, they're too good at terrorising humans (not even the same species!) with their eyes alone

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
part of my dream job is going to be gently convincing scientists that animals aren't just automated bits of code that only spawn in the presence of humans and otherwise don't exist, much less think and act independently. it's one thing to know the biological functions of an animal inside-out, but stemfolk really struggle to empathise enough to see things from the perspective of an actual tortoise/eagle/kangaroo, which is what you must do when you're trying to design conservation works

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
ps gojm post your puppy

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/ooctwilight/status/1101532280948895745

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

pikachode posted:

ps gojm post your puppy

she's become a bit of a recluse, i hesitate to break her hermitage

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
her main past time is quietly perching on the back of a couch and peeking out at the street through a small gap in the curtains

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm one of the two project managers at the company so I definitely have some kind of impact, but at the end of the day i have very limited effect on cash flow since we already run a lean operation. it mostly comes down to the whims of government agency accounting departments and the poor financial decisions made years before i joined the company

That sucks, I guess clean up your cv just in case and see where this goes. It's sad to see stuff falling down like that long after the decisions were made, but if you can't help it, it might be better to not get involved as long as you can.

Also, amazing puppies.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

pikachode posted:

part of my dream job is going to be gently convincing scientists that animals aren't just automated bits of code that only spawn in the presence of humans and otherwise don't exist, much less think and act independently. it's one thing to know the biological functions of an animal inside-out, but stemfolk really struggle to empathise enough to see things from the perspective of an actual tortoise/eagle/kangaroo, which is what you must do when you're trying to design conservation works
I don't know much about conservation/ecology research, but research psychologists who do animal work generally are rewarded for showing things animals CAN do. They're also almost all "animal people", with the good and the bad that implies... even the first strong critic of animal languages, Herb Terrace, started off his career dreaming he could teach chimps to pass more symbolic language on through generations, farm, develop culture beyond potato-washing etc.

They do of course get analytical-at-the-risk-of-reductive, but that's less a moral choice and more because it's research and they want to be rigorous.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1102287567842467840

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Thank God no one threw a ball on it yet.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
...why have we not genetically engineered Pokemon yet?

And catgirls. How come we don't have catgirls yet?

I mean come on, with all the hedonism politicians engage in how come no one has come out with that on their platform?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

tbf irl pokemon would be weapons. I have no opinion either way on catgirls

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Genetically engineered slaves.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gatts posted:

And catgirls. How come we don't have catgirls yet?

Maureen Ponderosa is going to be very offended when she sees this.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

kals you didnt warn me that Latvians engage in public nudity

is it too late to ask for new neighbours?

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Gatts posted:

...why have we not genetically engineered Pokemon yet?

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i have traced my lineage back to the indigenous people of central uzbekistan

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i think the takeaway from all of this is that i do not in fact have a homeland on this earth, my homeland is the earth itself

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it was a good run, avs. see you on the next account.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Cease to Hope posted:

it was a good run, avs. see you on the next account.
at last! the account hydra strategy i maintained all these years at great personal expense has paid off. just this once, i know the pure joy of being banned and not having to shell out $10 to start shitposting again immediately. my whole life will be downhill from this moment

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

kals you didnt warn me that Latvians engage in public nudity

is it too late to ask for new neighbours?

yes, that means they have officially recognised canada as home

like, for real nude or just drinking beer in underwear on terrace or something

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yes, that means they have officially recognised canada as home

like, for real nude or just drinking beer in underwear on terrace or something

Just hanging out in the garage naked in the middle of winter. I assume they were just in the hot tub and using the garage as a cool down place, not expecting one of their friends to show up and open the garage door. Either that or they were high on some real good weed/drunk out of their minds. Either way, weird and hopefully the last time it happens.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
forgot to post this, which i took walking home last week

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Just hanging out in the garage naked in the middle of winter. I assume they were just in the hot tub and using the garage as a cool down place, not expecting one of their friends to show up and open the garage door. Either that or they were high on some real good weed/drunk out of their minds. Either way, weird and hopefully the last time it happens.

oh it doesn’t count as public nudity if they left banya less than 5 minutes ago

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

https://twitter.com/HayMapApp/status/1102021587296026625

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

exmarx posted:

North Korean soft power is on the rise.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

exmarx posted:

At least that summit brought joy for someone.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

They're in their own home, I don't see how that's public at all

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Noooooo

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

exmarx posted:

Don’t doxx Guyovich tia

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006