Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Pandora is still the new hotness, right? So even if they sold the same number of tickets as before Pandora opened, a disproportionate number of people will go there instead of wandering around the rest of the park. Should Disney sell fewer tickets for the After Hours events just because a new attraction opened? (Semi-serious question. It seems like Disney just needs to eat some profits to keep fans happy in situations like this, but it’s a bit perverse that they need to reduce ticket sales when something opens.)

There should be a reduction of line time as the night goes on. It's not a people eater but it definitely holds a significant amount of riders per theater. 90 minutes and the -length of that line- means that basically the entire loving ticket holding group would be in line the entire night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

There should be a reduction of line time as the night goes on. It's not a people eater but it definitely holds a significant amount of riders per theater. 90 minutes and the -length of that line- means that basically the entire loving ticket holding group would be in line the entire night.

To me, that means that they’re not cutting off the line for regular attendees early enough, so that they’re still in line far into the AH event.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nottherealaborn posted:

To me, that means that they’re not cutting off the line for regular attendees early enough, so that they’re still in line far into the AH event.

This could be an issue, too. I do feel like these hard ticketed events should go longer than they do to compensate for that. I get that they only have so many hours in which they can clean and ready the park for the next morning but maybe have certain section close down so you can get in there and work? I mean, very few people are going to be back in Africa at 1 in the morning. You could just gradually shut the park down toward the front (at least at AK, which seems to be the problem park) as the hard ticket event gets closer to closing so you can still clean and get ready without cutting into anybody's fun.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

skipdogg posted:

We did that. Got on FOP at 8:45, came off at 9:15. Went back in line and it CM’s we’re telling people it was 90 minutes. Line was all the way down the ramps and outside.

It probably got better towards 10:30 or 11 but I wasn’t waiting that long. I don’t know how many tickets they sold or if they only had one theater running, but 90 minutes is ridiculous for a 125 dollar hard ticket that promoted little to no wait.

Edit. This guy was there that night too

https://twitter.com/wdw_therapy/status/1100595012906246145?s=21

With rain it's no surprise that the big indoor attraction was so popular.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’d want to know how many theaters were running for FOP that night. Each one holds 48 people and there are 4 total. I only saw them loading one. That doesn’t mean only 1 was running, just what I saw.

The ride doesn’t have great capacity. 8 minutes to load and unload 48 people probably. Your talking 350 people an hour per theater. Maybe 400 an hour at best.

There’s just not as much to do at AK. DAH at MK was much better as there’s more rides to spread out the crowd.

Zero One posted:

With rain it's no surprise that the big indoor attraction was so popular.

Yeah. The rain also cleared the park out earlier than normal. We got there at 7, and did Everest multiple times, dinosaur, whirl, all before DAH even started.

I could have walked onto Everest all night but you don’t pay for the hard ticket to ride Everest. Your paying for FOP. With MK DAH things spread out between multiple top tier attractions. AK has FOP

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 2, 2019

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Empress Brosephine posted:

They finally announced the new Gwazi for Busch Gardens and WOW

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ta...%3ftemplate=amp

It feels like a lot of the other manufacturers have gotten a little ho hum, but RMC is out there doing crazy poo poo over and over and over again. We'll see what Golden Lasso ends up being like, but it certainly seems like they haven't done anything wrong so far.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Am officially going to Tokyo disney in May.

Is it tru they dont like VISA cards?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

BlueBayou posted:

There isn't a single ATM in either park that takes foreign cards, so make sure to get cash before you go in. I learned that one the hard way at DisneySea around lunchtime :doh:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

News to me. Japan is still largely cash-based, so I recommend that option to be sure. But I can’t imagine a large multinational like Disney making it harder for people to buy poo poo. And I am pretty sure I paid for my tickets with a VISA card the last time I went.

P.S.: shoot me a PM if you have down time while you’re in Tokyo. I know a couple out-of-the-way restaurants that have been very well-received by visitors.

Edit: Seems like there shouldn’t be too much trouble as a general rule. But cash is still king.
https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/tdl/service/detail/012/

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 2, 2019

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boxman posted:

It feels like a lot of the other manufacturers have gotten a little ho hum, but RMC is out there doing crazy poo poo over and over and over again. We'll see what Golden Lasso ends up being like, but it certainly seems like they haven't done anything wrong so far.

RMC does crazy work and it’s cool. Can’t wait.

I read last night that SeaWorld finally had a year of profit and I’m glad. Blackfish is bs and it’s a shame the damage it did to SeaWorld and Busch and hampered development for those few years. Busch Gardens has Tigris also coming and I hope they have a great year, they certainly deserve it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

sounds like they're way overselling AK's nights.

They've also been offering discounted tickets to Cast, so I bet that hasn't helped.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

just plan on cash. It is so much easier to do.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I was hoping to buy park tickets ahead of time to avoid waiting in line at the park in the morning

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Every video I see of Tokyo Disney looks awesome. Are you staying on Disney property or off site?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Anya posted:

Every video I see of Tokyo Disney looks awesome. Are you staying on Disney property or off site?

Not sure yet. The official Disney hotels sell out and are $$$. I assume we will stay at a local partner hotel

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

I was hoping to buy park tickets ahead of time to avoid waiting in line at the park in the morning

You can purchase the tickets online and have them delivered to an address of your choosing, which strongly suggests that they accept credit cards for this purpose (I couldn’t go far enough to confirm that there was a credit card option, since they require you to enter/create an account for online purchases). The page is even available in English:
https://reserve.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/sp/ticket/search/?outside=1&route=2&parkTicketGroupCd=01

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

RMC does crazy work and it’s cool. Can’t wait.

I read last night that SeaWorld finally had a year of profit and I’m glad. Blackfish is bs and it’s a shame the damage it did to SeaWorld and Busch and hampered development for those few years. Busch Gardens has Tigris also coming and I hope they have a great year, they certainly deserve it.

Is Blackfish bs? This is the first time I've heard that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not entirely but there was certainly wrong stuff and overblown stuff in the documentary

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

For every good thing Seaworld does, they gently caress up 10 others. So it has been, so it always will be. An ouroboros of dumbfuck poo poo.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

While I'm certainly not here to defend SeaWorld, it's pretty well known that Blackfish contains a lot of disgruntled ex employees and people who claim to be experts that were put up to it and filmed by PETA. Like, they literally produced it. One of the trainers came forward and said the whole thing was literally bullshit. But yes, SeaWorld will continue to gently caress themselves over in countless other ways.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My mom who always loved Seaworld said last time she went that the park massively scaled back on their educational stuff that they used to be so great about. It seemed like a big letdown. There’s so much I love about Seaworld but I just can’t go back until they stop the whale shows. I haven’t even seen Blackfish but it’s really something that science/common sense caught up with and Seaworld just plugged their ears.

Such a shame because it’s probably my favorite theme park since I’m not an intense ride person and love sealife :(

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I hate the people who are anti-zoo, for so many reasons. But, if you’re using animals for shows and not necessarily for conservation AND they live shorter lives in your captivity versus the wild, there’s probably something wrong.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nottherealaborn posted:

I hate the people who are anti-zoo, for so many reasons. But, if you’re using animals for shows and not necessarily for conservation AND they live shorter lives in your captivity versus the wild, there’s probably something wrong.

The last zoo I worked with did some small shows, but they were all veterinary-response oriented stuff. Lift your right flipper, lift your left flipper, bark, etc. Except for the point where the sea lion put the plastic in the recycling bin (and was awarded many fish for being such a good helper for his ecosystem!), all of it was stuff the vet team needed to be able to see for blood draws, mobility, health reasons, etc.

And I feel like that's all the show you need. Anti-zoo is incredibly stupid but yeah. Seaworld has problems.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Galaxy's Edge opening date possibly being announced Thurs along with WDW

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Nottherealaborn posted:

Zoos are dope and they've developed into a really cool way to teach people about the importance of conservation half a world away where most Americans generally wouldn't give a poo poo, but when I went to the Lincoln Park Zoo (free zoo in Chicago) you get a glimpse of what zoos used to be and holy poo poo they were depressing. They use the original concrete housing for the animals (but have built a bigger, more individualized environment behind them so they're all good) and just imagining big cats being kept in these tiny depressing concrete boxes is a nightmare. like look at this:

this is a picture from 1901, so it's long since been changed but man zoos were really depressing for a long, long time

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Zoos are dope and they've developed into a really cool way to teach people about the importance of conservation half a world away where most Americans generally wouldn't give a poo poo, but when I went to the Lincoln Park Zoo (free zoo in Chicago) you get a glimpse of what zoos used to be and holy poo poo they were depressing. They use the original concrete housing for the animals (but have built a bigger, more individualized environment behind them so they're all good) and just imagining big cats being kept in these tiny depressing concrete boxes is a nightmare. like look at this:

this is a picture from 1901, so it's long since been changed but man zoos were really depressing for a long, long time

Agreed. Now imagine human beings being kept in those tiny depressing concrete boxes.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
My wife is offering to get dinner for us anywhere in Disney World/Disney Springs/the resorts for my birthday.

We’ve done Morimoto’s, Tokyo Dining, and Cocina Fronterra as sit-down places that we really liked. We also did the less-expensive of the two Morrocco sit-down restaurants, which we also really liked.

I’m interested in Ohana, California Grill and Tusker House, but I’m welcome to recommendations!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Jikos, Tiffins, or California Grill are probably the best in property (aside from Victoria and Alberts) now that Artists Point changed. California Grill is a great birthday experience thanks to watching the fireworks from the top of Bay Lake Tower before or after your meal.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Bottom Liner posted:

Jikos, Tiffins, or California Grill are probably the best in property (aside from Victoria and Alberts) now that Artists Point changed. California Grill is a great birthday experience thanks to watching the fireworks from the top of Bay Lake Tower before or after your meal.

Ah, yeah, I meant Tiffins, not Tusker House. Whoops!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought they stopped allowing you to see fireworks at California Grill?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What? Why and how would they even do that beyond just not playing the music?

And according to the site it’s still one of the selling points

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/contemporary-resort/california-grill/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah thought I read that they were stopping allowing reentry to the viewing area to guests who visited earlier

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Nanigans posted:

My wife is offering to get dinner for us anywhere in Disney World/Disney Springs/the resorts for my birthday.

We’ve done Morimoto’s, Tokyo Dining, and Cocina Fronterra as sit-down places that we really liked. We also did the less-expensive of the two Morrocco sit-down restaurants, which we also really liked.

I’m interested in Ohana, California Grill and Tusker House, but I’m welcome to recommendations!
Restaurant Marrakesh (the nicer Moroccan restaurant) is my all-time top Disney restaurant. The food is so amazing, and it's a cuisine you can't easily get a lot of places. Also, there are routinely live performers (traditional musicians and dancers) at dinner.

That said, if you've never been to Ohana, that's worth doing once for the experience, especially if you can book a time during fireworks. You can usually tell the host/hostess you're willing to wait for a table with a window view (I've heard this is hit and miss). It's Polynesian food, done Brazilian steakhouse style.

Ohana is difficult to get reservations for less than six months out, while you can generally walk right into Marrakesh most of the year and get a table with little or no wait.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah thought I read that they were stopping allowing reentry to the viewing area to guests who visited earlier

That’s not at all the same thing as what you said.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh sorry I forgot the “with reentry” part

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Might not be a popular opinion, but Ohana has really gone downhill the last few years in my opinion. It was great in 2015 and 2016, but last visit (Oct 2018) the food wasn't as good, and the service was slow. The chicken was the best part of the meal last time, and that's rough. Shrimp overcooked, Steak under cooked.

Maybe it was a rough night, and the remodeling has probably affecting things, but I didn't fell like it was worth it last trip. 2016 our Ohana experience was "OMG that was amazing we're eating here every trip" to 2018 "ehh, probably skip this next time"

Full disclosure and to be fair I'm a bit down on WDW dining lately, it just hasn't been as good as I remember it being in previous trips. I will say Le Cellier exceeded expectations. We just got back from a trip last week and we chose Le Cellier for our anniversary dinner, but all we could get was a 8:50 reservation. I worked in restaurants for years in a past life and I was really hesitant about a reservation 10 minutes before the park closes. It was excellent though, and worth the money. We only did 4 sit down restaurants last trip. Tusker House breakfast is always great and worth it. We had a 10:45 reservation so we got the breakfast and lunch parts then went to digest at the Festival of the Lion King show at 12. Via Napoli was solid, Le Cellier was excellent. Cape May buffet was not that great. We had a later seating and most of the stuff left on the buffet was cold. Unless you're going to eat your body weight in crab legs it's a pass for me.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Ohana is awesome if you want some awesome bang for your buck dining credit since it's only a single sit down.
Jiko or California Grill are both spectacular options and are both a whirlwind of great food with impeccable service.

I'm gonna throw an out of the box suggestion of hoop dee doo since it's basically my favorite dining experience in Disney and I will always recommend it.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

When I was booking my reservation for there this summer on the phone they specifically mentioned that you can go watch the fireworks? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Might’ve just been hearsay or never followed through with. Sorry for the confusion.